Omar final move before the Draft

A place to talk Steelers football and what else is going on around the NFL
steelmann58

Omar final move before the Draft

Post by steelmann58 » Sun Mar 17, 2024 4:06 am

I think he will try to get his QB a legit number 2 Wr. I also feel that he might make some late moves to add and another Ilb and maybe a CB who still looking for work. But I think the will need to come off with a Center and Young Wr.

tbsteel

Post by tbsteel » Sun Mar 17, 2024 12:12 pm

Those are the two remaining moves:

1. Sign a middling C they can live with with the plan to draft a C with one of their top 2 picks.

2. Sign a #2 WR. That way they're not forced to go WR with one of their 2 first picks if they don't have to, but still can still use a top 100 pick on a WR so the room is basically Pickens, #2 FA, top 100 draft pick, Jefferson, Austin, and Boykin.
Tiny hands, smaller heart.

SteelerDayTrader

Post by SteelerDayTrader » Sun Mar 17, 2024 1:07 pm

Herbig is listed as the center on Ourlads fwiw
Gorilla Warfare
🦍🦍🦍🏈🏈🦍🦍🦍🦍🏈🏈🏈🦍🦍🦍🦍🦍

K_C_

Post by K_C_ » Sun Mar 17, 2024 1:12 pm

A premium pick will be used on a WR in this draft and that player will start opposite PIckens.

Could be a first rounder, but knowing the Steelers and how confident they are at finding studs at that position, we'll probably grab our starting WR in the second round.

Third round wouldn't even completely shock me.
β€œThe young girls strut their hips in the sun, from the brick streets of Whiting to the gates of St. John.”

Harvey Woodlawn

.Kodiak

Post by .Kodiak » Sun Mar 17, 2024 6:10 pm

Unless Pickens grows up real fast, they need a vet stud in that WR room. To take that next step, Pickens needs a vet to show him how to be great.

Without that leadership, you're going to draft a top-100 receiver and his mentor and big boy in the room is going to be....Pickens?

K_C_

Post by K_C_ » Sun Mar 17, 2024 6:59 pm

.Kodiak wrote: ↑
Sun Mar 17, 2024 6:10 pm
Unless Pickens grows up real fast, they need a vet stud in that WR room. To take that next step, Pickens needs a vet to show him how to be great.

Without that leadership, you're going to draft a top-100 receiver and his mentor and big boy in the room is going to be....Pickens?
I think that vet is going to be Van Jefferson. He's gonna be the new Allen Robinson. Dude has been around. I can't think of an available vet stud they could afford to add to the room before the draft.

I think that's what they added Jefferson for.

Keenan Allen would have been a great addition and I can't believe the Bears got him for a 4th rounder, but they did.

Maybe they could add a guy right before the season when teams start unloading veterans but I think the WR room will be Pickens/stud rookie/Jefferson/Austin III/Boykins.
β€œThe young girls strut their hips in the sun, from the brick streets of Whiting to the gates of St. John.”

Harvey Woodlawn

swissvale72

Post by swissvale72 » Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:06 pm

I'm good with all of the additions, or most....
*SUPER excited about Russell Wilson
*Very excited about Queen & Elliott
*Okay on the CB & WR
*Good with Fields now that Pickett is gone.

I'm DEF not good with the exit of DJ. All of his sins that so many of you have cited, I'll cede....but....I still think he's way more talented of a WR than most of you give him credit for. He's a very good route runner, made some big plays...and....for all of the criticism of his not catching TD passes, he found the end zone in 5 of the final 7 games....did particularly well with Mason had QB

Kenny Pickett...still had minimun errors, still won games, still had some undeniable 4Q magic. And....he finally came alive when Canada was gone, then his season ended the next week. For me, the question is whether Fields is better. And....I oft cede the football analysis to B2B. And he tells us that Fields is "terrible." His stats certainly were.

So, B2B, if you're reading this, please....a comp between Fields & Pickett??

bradshaw2ben
Site Admin

Post by bradshaw2ben » Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:28 pm

tbsteel wrote: ↑
Sun Mar 17, 2024 12:12 pm
Those are the two remaining moves:

1. Sign a middling C they can live with with the plan to draft a C with one of their top 2 picks.

2. Sign a #2 WR. That way they're not forced to go WR with one of their 2 first picks if they don't have to, but still can still use a top 100 pick on a WR so the room is basically Pickens, #2 FA, top 100 draft pick, Jefferson, Austin, and Boykin.
Don't count out Marquez Callaway for one of those depth spots. He can also play STs and is a better WR than Boykin and maybe even Jefferson.

bradshaw2ben
Site Admin

Post by bradshaw2ben » Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:29 pm

OMG great avatar

jewelsongs

Post by jewelsongs » Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:59 pm

The difference in the avatar is that Cleveland does not repeat names.

Charles Demarr

Post by Charles Demarr » Sun Mar 17, 2024 11:45 pm

Mike Williams scheduled for a visit this week.

Greeksteel

Post by Greeksteel » Sun Mar 17, 2024 11:58 pm

Charles Demarr wrote: ↑
Sun Mar 17, 2024 11:45 pm
nice

steelclan

Post by steelclan » Mon Mar 18, 2024 12:00 am

Greeksteel wrote: ↑
Sun Mar 17, 2024 11:58 pm
nice
Depends on his asking price. He is decent when healthy but he is not worth a big contract.

Greeksteel

Post by Greeksteel » Mon Mar 18, 2024 12:01 am

swissvale72 wrote: ↑
Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:06 pm
I'm good with all of the additions, or most....
*SUPER excited about Russell Wilson
*Very excited about Queen & Elliott
*Okay on the CB & WR
*Good with Fields now that Pickett is gone.

I'm DEF not good with the exit of DJ. All of his sins that so many of you have cited, I'll cede....but....I still think he's way more talented of a WR than most of you give him credit for. He's a very good route runner, made some big plays...and....for all of the criticism of his not catching TD passes, he found the end zone in 5 of the final 7 games....did particularly well with Mason had QB

Kenny Pickett...still had minimun errors, still won games, still had some undeniable 4Q magic. And....he finally came alive when Canada was gone, then his season ended the next week. For me, the question is whether Fields is better. And....I oft cede the football analysis to B2B. And he tells us that Fields is "terrible." His stats certainly were.

So, B2B, if you're reading this, please....a comp between Fields & Pickett??
Just my .02 cents..Fields has elite athleticism...pickett is in no way an elite athlete....fields has a much better arm...only knock on Fields is accuracy..if he can put that part of his game together, he can be a very very good QB. Pickett does nothing well, You can be on the side of not liking Fields, but hes the much better prospect of the 2.
Last edited by Greeksteel on Mon Mar 18, 2024 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Greeksteel

Post by Greeksteel » Mon Mar 18, 2024 12:02 am

steelclan wrote: ↑
Mon Mar 18, 2024 12:00 am
Greeksteel wrote: ↑
Sun Mar 17, 2024 11:58 pm
nice
Depends on his asking price. He is decent when healthy but he is not worth a big contract.
agreed hes the guy Tomlin talks about when he says the best ability is AVAILABILITY...very talented player tho

jmacinwbp

Post by jmacinwbp » Mon Mar 18, 2024 12:12 am

Now only need Tomlin to do his Vudoo magic, and get MWilliams to sign, and we're clear to grabbing Tackle & Center in rounds 1&2, which is desperately needed to complete the "all in "mentality they are running with this year.

Can you imagine Williams and Pickens both running deep routes for RWilson to drop those beauty dimes he's so famous for? I think jizzmop will probably need to buy a new set of towels, I know I may need to !!!

Steeldrama

Post by Steeldrama » Mon Mar 18, 2024 12:24 am

Big Mike can blow out a knee walking to the mailbox

Super fragile dude

Would have to be major incentive laden deal to remotely peek my interest
Nick Markakis on Astros: "Every guy over there needs a beating."

steelmann58

Post by steelmann58 » Mon Mar 18, 2024 1:47 am

I hope they do add a Wr with being Number two capable. I wonder if our new QB Coach can help

steelmann58

Post by steelmann58 » Mon Mar 18, 2024 1:54 am

Anyone think Mimms or Callaway can have an impact

Steelafan77

Post by Steelafan77 » Mon Mar 18, 2024 2:21 am

I think they’ll look at a journeyman center to sign and wait out the draft.

Plenty of time left to have certain players fall out of favor and end up in the unemployment line.

Patience folks….😎
β€œI pride myself in creating discomfort for myself and others,” Tomlin said, β€œI’m fundamentally against comfort.” [3-24-2024]

stairway 2 seven

Post by stairway 2 seven » Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:23 am

Steeldrama wrote: ↑
Mon Mar 18, 2024 12:24 am
Big Mike can blow out a knee walking to the mailbox

Lol

Thrillsseeker

Post by Thrillsseeker » Wed Mar 20, 2024 4:25 pm

Too much smoke to not have some fire around the talk about a big time FA WR.

Hope it happens with the right deal.

Dan Smith--BYU

Post by Dan Smith--BYU » Wed Mar 20, 2024 5:41 pm

No reason to chase a vet WR with the talent in the draft.

The opposite is true of C.
The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently.

Nietzsche

steelmann58

Post by steelmann58 » Thu Mar 21, 2024 1:33 am

They have to come out of this draft with one of the big 3 centers. Oregon or WV or Georgia

steelmann58

Post by steelmann58 » Thu Mar 21, 2024 2:08 am

Not sure about What Omar planned with this WR Group but guess we know between now and day 2 of the draft

Scunge

Post by Scunge » Thu Mar 21, 2024 1:45 pm

I think Omar and the Steelers should approach James Daniels and say hey, we want to give you a a 3 year extension and let you be the next great Steeler Center!!!

James Daniels was a Center for Iowa in college, he played one season at Center for the Chicago Bears. He has 33 3/4 inch arms, has the length, size and power to anchor in pass protection and has the mobility to do what Arthur Smith wants in his centers in terms of the running game. And Daniels is 26 and turns 27 in September, still young with many good/great years left.

This is so damn frustrating to me, it doesn't have to be this hard. You dicked around with Kevin Dotson, playing him out of position, you had Broderick Jones playing out of position at RT and for the last two years you should have had James Daniels starting at Center, not Mason Cole.

It is much, much easier to find a starting Guard in this draft to replace Daniels at Guard. As it is they have almost painted themselves into a corner in that they will probably have to use that 4th round pick to move up in round 1 to get JPJ or in round 2 to get Frasier.

No need to do any of that! Give Daniels an extension, move him to Center and you also lower Daniels cap hit to boot. There are many Guards in that late 3rd round, 4th round range that could start day one next to Daniels.

I think people need to remember that not only James Daniels, but Isaac Seumalo has started a full season at Center. There are options for Omar and the Steelers beside over spending in the draft.

Charles Demarr

Post by Charles Demarr » Thu Mar 21, 2024 3:20 pm

Scunge wrote: ↑
Thu Mar 21, 2024 1:45 pm
I think Omar and the Steelers should approach James Daniels and say hey, we want to give you a a 3 year extension and let you be the next great Steeler Center!!!

James Daniels was a Center for Iowa in college, he played one season at Center for the Chicago Bears. He has 33 3/4 inch arms, has the length, size and power to anchor in pass protection and has the mobility to do what Arthur Smith wants in his centers in terms of the running game. And Daniels is 26 and turns 27 in September, still young with many good/great years left.

This is so damn frustrating to me, it doesn't have to be this hard. You dicked around with Kevin Dotson, playing him out of position, you had Broderick Jones playing out of position at RT and for the last two years you should have had James Daniels starting at Center, not Mason Cole.

It is much, much easier to find a starting Guard in this draft to replace Daniels at Guard. As it is they have almost painted themselves into a corner in that they will probably have to use that 4th round pick to move up in round 1 to get JPJ or in round 2 to get Frasier.

No need to do any of that! Give Daniels an extension, move him to Center and you also lower Daniels cap hit to boot. There are many Guards in that late 3rd round, 4th round range that could start day one next to Daniels.

I think people need to remember that not only James Daniels, but Isaac Seumalo has started a full season at Center. There are options for Omar and the Steelers beside over spending in the draft.
I think B2B may be on to something with Hunter Nourzad from Penn State. He should be available with the late 3rd or 4th. That would give them more flexibility with the first 3 picks.

Ice

Post by Ice » Thu Mar 21, 2024 3:40 pm

I'd be okay with trying Nourzad out as the heir apparent, especially given needs and relatively low opportunity cost (if you had to give our offseason a title, by the way, it's Needs and Low Opportunity Cost), but you've got to have a vet Plan A ahead of him, let him get up to NFL speed at his own pace. Even the sunniest predictions carefully use the words "early starter," not "instant" or "day one." If Daniels can be that, fine. Herbig? Anderson? Maybe? It's got to be somebody, though.
Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile...

Scunge

Post by Scunge » Thu Mar 21, 2024 5:27 pm

Thu Mar 21, 2024 3:20 pm
I think B2B may be on to something with Hunter Nourzad from Penn State. He should be available with the late 3rd or 4th. That would give them more flexibility with the first 3 picks.
My sleeper pick at Center is the dude from Duke. And no I am not talking about Graham Barton.

Barton is regarded as one of the top three centers in this draft and yet he wasn't starting at Center for Duke. The player who was starting at Center was Jacob Monk. They had Barton at Left Tackle.

Jacob Monk is 6'3" 310, ran a 5.09, 1.66 10 yard split, very strong and athletic.

I would rather take Monk with our 2nd 3rd rounder or in the 4th round. I don't see how Frazier is better than Monk, especially if you are spending a 2nd rounder on him. He is also C/G versatile, has started 55 games at C, RG and RT.

To me the value of picking up Monk in round 3 or 4 and be able to use those first 3 picks (1,2,3) on RT, WR, CB would make for a second killer draft class.

To be sure, I like Hunter too. I guess for this draft I am in the minority because I want either Hunter or Monk in round 3. JPJ and Frazier just aren't talented enough for me to spend a first or second round pick on. I don't think either one has the movement skills to pull/lead sweeps and I think both are top heavy players lacking strong anchors in the lower body.

jmacinwbp

Post by jmacinwbp » Thu Mar 21, 2024 6:50 pm

Scunge wrote: ↑
Thu Mar 21, 2024 1:45 pm

If you're preaching to the choir on this one Scrunge, I say hallelujah!! Daniels appears to be the exact prototype for what Meyer looks for in his center. I've been posting this should have been obvious last year, given how bad Cole performed, how did they miss that in OTAs & the preseason? Plus it would have allowed them to keep Dotson at RG, we all saw how much better he was in his natural position once he left.

They have to fix the Oline in it's two weakest positions (Moore @LT & center) or all of the off-season moves they've already made to load up for a run in the AFC Playoffs won't mean shit, because neither of the QBs they added will be successful if those two areas aren't fixed. Moore would be a great fit as a backup tackle or maybe even to compete at RG, but he's not good enough as the starting LT. Can't believe we're going on three years with him as the starter at that position. When he was drafted, always thought his long term role with the team would be as a quality backup tackle, not as a full time starter.

If they do shore up the Oline then this could be a highly successful offensive team, enough to compete with any of the top ones in the AFC given what the D is shaping up as.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic