Mike Williams coming in

A place to talk Steelers football and what else is going on around the NFL
StillerDownSouth

Mike Williams coming in

Post by StillerDownSouth » Mon Mar 18, 2024 1:38 am

Per Scheffter, Mike Williams will be coming in for a vistit, former #7 overall pick for the Chargers, big target and big play receiver, but has been injured a lot, wouldn't mind Steelers adding him if cost is reasonable.

steelmann58

Post by steelmann58 » Mon Mar 18, 2024 1:44 am

If he comes In hopefully they won’t let him leave

Steelperch

Post by Steelperch » Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:14 am

steelmann58 wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2024 1:44 am
Hopefully he doesn’t get hurt

bradshaw2ben
Site Admin

Post by bradshaw2ben » Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:23 am

Steelperch wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:14 am
steelmann58 wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2024 1:44 am
Hopefully he doesn’t get hurt
I mean even having him part-time at 80% of what he used to be would be a huge signing for a team with no 2nd outside receiver that fits Arthur Smith’s scheme other than STs mavens and Marquez Callaway.
1 20 Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia
2 51 TRADE: Brandon Aiyuk, WR
3 84 Hunter Nourzad, C, Penn State
3× 98 Jarvis Brownlee, Jr., CB, Florida State
4 128 Qwan'tez Stiggers, DB, Toronto Argonauts

Steeldrama

Post by Steeldrama » Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:15 am

...SAY Khan does sign Mike Williams...to a team friendly, incentive laden deal...and he is a viable #2 option to Pickens for MOST of the season AND the postseason (damn right, Jackson)

...AND say Russell Wilson has a Baker Mayfield like career turnaround and plays solid football in Artie Smith's proven NFL caliber (albeit conservative) offense.

...MIX in Justin Fields with what COULD be a potent ground game

...WHY can't YOUR Steelers be serious contenders in 2024???

I guess I just don't get the OHHHH NOOOO thought process that the Wilson/Fields signings somehow delays getting that next franchise QB.

In short, I'm choosing to look at the upside here of the Wilson/Fields signings (I still don't see the downside like some of you).
Nick Markakis on Astros: "Every guy over there needs a beating."

Charles Demarr

Post by Charles Demarr » Mon Mar 18, 2024 12:04 pm

Steeldrama wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:15 am
...SAY Khan does sign Mike Williams...to a team friendly, incentive laden deal...and he is a viable #2 option to Pickens for MOST of the season AND the postseason (damn right, Jackson)

...AND say Russell Wilson has a Baker Mayfield like career turnaround and plays solid football in Artie Smith's proven NFL caliber (albeit conservative) offense.

I guess I just don't get the OHHHH NOOOO thought process that the Wilson/Fields signings somehow delays getting that next franchise QB.

In short, I'm choosing to look at the upside here of the Wilson/Fields signings (I still don't see the downside like some of you).
Exactly where I'm at. The QB room is exponentially better and cheaper. Get Mike Williams and Day 2 WR. Get JPJ or Frazier. Add a Day 2 corner and a vet. Tra'Davious White or Gilmore on a 1 year incentive laden deal? I still think we're stuck with Dan Moore next year, not sure they have the fire power left to address every need, but that's a fantastic offseason in my opinion. I'm on board with you Drama.

JackLambert58

Post by JackLambert58 » Mon Mar 18, 2024 12:06 pm

Steeldrama wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:15 am

Yep, me, too. Good Lord this board has been a collective downer since Ben retired and rightly so, but when the team starts making moves to improve as they have forthwith these past few weeks, we still have the Debbie downers. I guess the team can do no right.
"Jack Lambert is mean and relentless wherever he goes, on and off the field! I do remember many times he would chase me in practice, but no way would I let him catch me" - Franco Harris

franco32

Post by franco32 » Mon Mar 18, 2024 12:54 pm

Not everyone is a Debbie Downer. I think most on here like a lot of the moves but there may be ones we don't like. I liked the Wilson addition for cheap for example, but I'm not a fan of Justin Fields as an NFL QB. (He can run though anytime in my offense.)

Williams is really good but broken all too often. I'm usually not in favor of acquiring assets that are broken unless really cheap.

Steelperch

Post by Steelperch » Mon Mar 18, 2024 1:19 pm

We need a route runner, not a big one trick pony. The injury stuff and age added in is just a no for me.

Pabst

Post by Pabst » Mon Mar 18, 2024 1:49 pm

JackLambert58 wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2024 12:06 pm
Yep, me, too. Good Lord this board has been a collective downer since 2011
FTFY

swissvale72

Post by swissvale72 » Mon Mar 18, 2024 1:56 pm

franco32 wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2024 12:54 pm
Not everyone is a Debbie Downer. I think most on here like a lot of the moves but there may be ones we don't like. I liked the Wilson addition for cheap for example, but I'm not a fan of Justin Fields as an NFL QB. (He can run though anytime in my offense.)

Williams is really good but broken all too often. I'm usually not in favor of acquiring assets that are broken unless really cheap.
Only move I've NOT liked completely is losing DJ to Carolina. And....as far as Fields rather than Pickett being Wilson's backup, I am questioning primarily due to the comp. ball security issues. I'm not all that focused on Kenny being a bitch.

All done know though, and this is where I am, similarly to having coined the SBI phraseology 16 years ago when Peezy left the Steelers....

"SBI > Being Right"

Greeksteel

Post by Greeksteel » Mon Mar 18, 2024 2:10 pm

Steelperch wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2024 1:19 pm
We need a route runner, not a big one trick pony. The injury stuff and age added in is just a no for me.
Not sure that route runner we need is available in free agency...maybe tyler boyd??...how about we sign williams and draft an elite route runner like Ladd McConkey?

K_C_

Post by K_C_ » Mon Mar 18, 2024 2:15 pm

swissvale72 wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2024 1:56 pm
franco32 wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2024 12:54 pm

Only move I've NOT liked completely is losing DJ to Carolina. And....as far as Fields rather than Pickett being Wilson's backup, I am questioning primarily due to the comp. ball security issues. I'm not all that focused on Kenny being a bitch.

All done know though, and this is where I am, similarly to having coined the SBI phraseology 16 years ago when Peezy left the Steelers....

"SBI > Being Right"
DJ wasn't going to be re-signed. Not a chance in hell that was going to happen and this isn't a Santonio Holmes situation where the Steelers are a receiver away from a Super Bowl AND Diontae Johnson is about the most unclutch receiver the Steelers have had in many years. Dude is the anti-Santonio Holmes. Last season, dude's effort began to wane.

DJ HAD TO GO.....and should easily be replaceable by a talented young, hungry receiver who wants to make a name for himself.

Johnson, again, was an incredibly talented guy with the brain of a gerbil. He'll fuck his situation up in Carolina. Just watch and see.

I'm also against signing Mike Williams unless it's very much a team friendly, incentive laden deal. Get a day 2 (or possibly even a day 1) receiver to start opposite Pickens and move forward.
“The young girls strut their hips in the sun, from the brick streets of Whiting to the gates of St. John.”

Harvey Woodlawn

bradshaw2ben
Site Admin

Post by bradshaw2ben » Mon Mar 18, 2024 2:32 pm

Greeksteel wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2024 2:10 pm
Steelperch wrote:
Not sure that route runner we need is available in free agency...maybe tyler boyd??...how about we sign williams and draft an elite route runner like Ladd McConkey?
Again, I think we need to look at what Arthur Smith’s offenses have been using as far as pass targets. It’s almost totally made up of big/physical dudes, not route runners:
AJ Brown
Drake London
Cory Davis
Kyle Pitts
Mack Hollins
Jonnu Smith

I think normal or undersized route runners are going to have trouble getting snaps and targets.

Jobu

Post by Jobu » Mon Mar 18, 2024 2:34 pm

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2024 2:32 pm
Greeksteel wrote:
Steelperch wrote:
Again, I think we need to look at what Arthur Smith’s offenses have been using as far as pass targets. It’s almost totally made up of big/physical dudes, not route runners:
AJ Brown
Drake London
Cory Davis
Kyle Pitts
Mack Hollins
Jonnu Smith

I think normal or undersized route runners are going to have trouble getting snaps and targets.
Which makes one wonder about the usefulness of guys like Calvin Austin and Connor Heyward.
“Ah, who cares about Seattle’s Space Needle? Dumb looking building, you can see the whole stupid town, built by some jagoff! Pittsburgh got Mt. Warshington, gorgeous hillside, beautiful views of the whole city, built by God…we win!” - Pittsburgh Dad

chippedhamsandwich

Post by chippedhamsandwich » Mon Mar 18, 2024 2:35 pm

Cory Davis just unretired, wondering if he’s been talking with Uncle Arthur??

I believe in Connor Heyward, I have hopes still for Austin, but who knows…

Greeksteel

Post by Greeksteel » Mon Mar 18, 2024 2:56 pm

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Greeksteel wrote:
Steelperch wrote:
AJ Brown
Drake London
Cory Davis
Kyle Pitts
Mack Hollins
Jonnu Smith

Not sure what to think here B2B...on the one hand Mike Williams would fit the list you compiled there...on the other.. AJ Brown wasnt re signed..London and Pitts could barely get targets in Atlanta..Jonnu Smith was ok in Tenn but hes a TE not a WR...off hand not sure how effective Davis or Hollins were, my gut says not very.

bradshaw2ben
Site Admin

Post by bradshaw2ben » Mon Mar 18, 2024 3:09 pm

Jobu wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2024 2:34 pm
bradshaw2ben wrote:
Greeksteel wrote:

AJ Brown
Drake London
Cory Davis
Kyle Pitts
Mack Hollins
Jonnu Smith

Which makes one wonder about the usefulness of guys like Calvin Austin and Connor Heyward.
Heyward is our discount Jonnu Smith.

Cal Austin is going to be the PR and get about 25 targets or fewer, whether he's WR3 or WR4. Feel bad for him, because on a normal team running a normal NFL offense, he'd get 3 times that. Tutu Atwell had 67 targets as the Rams WR3.

bradshaw2ben
Site Admin

Post by bradshaw2ben » Mon Mar 18, 2024 3:15 pm

Greeksteel wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2024 2:56 pm
bradshaw2ben wrote:
Greeksteel wrote:

AJ Brown
Drake London
Cory Davis
Kyle Pitts
Mack Hollins
Jonnu Smith

Not sure what to think here B2B...on the one hand Mike Williams would fit the list you compiled there...on the other.. AJ Brown wasnt re signed..London and Pitts could barely get targets in Atlanta..Jonnu Smith was ok in Tenn but hes a TE not a WR...off hand not sure how effective Davis or Hollins were, my gut says not very.
2023 Atlanta Falcons targets:

110 Drake London
90 Kyle Pitts
86 Bijan Robinson
70 Jonnu Smith
30 Mack Holins
28 Van Jefferson
23 Tyler Algeier
23 KhaDarrel Hodge
16 Scottie Miller

2022 Atlanta Falcons targets:

117 London
61 Olamide Zaccheaus
59 Kyle Pitts
31 Cordarrelle Patterson
23 Damiere Byrd
21 Mycole Pruitt
20 KhaDarel Hodge
17 Tyler Algeier

Steeldrama

Post by Steeldrama » Mon Mar 18, 2024 3:17 pm

Greeksteel wrote:
bradshaw2ben wrote:
Greeksteel wrote:

AJ Brown
Drake London
Cory Davis
Kyle Pitts
Mack Hollins
Jonnu Smith

Un-think everything Arthur Smith.

Arthur was in Atlanta as head coach when AJ Brown wasn't re-signed.

Pitts has been playing on a bad knee two years running.

An unhealthy Pitts and London were saddled with Marcus Mariotta and Desmond Ridder.
Two qbs arguably worse than Kenny Prickett (possibly much worse).

I despise the personality of Arthur Smith

Living here in the glorious suburbs of Atlanta, I'm relieved to never hear his nails on a chalkboard soundbites on my car rides to and from work again.

BUT

After a fun week 1 of free agent activity, I am getting excited at the prospect of YOUR Steelers having their first legitimate OC since Todd Haley and Bruce Arians.

The shit-off stupid decisions to go with the likes of Matt Freaking Canada and that Jethro lookin fella Randy Whats-His-Face are over.

Solidify the OL, add a quality #2 WR and I really think MOST of us (nothing pleases some of you) will find the Steelers' offense MUCH more enjoyable this season.
Nick Markakis on Astros: "Every guy over there needs a beating."

Greeksteel

Post by Greeksteel » Mon Mar 18, 2024 3:22 pm

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2024 3:15 pm
Greeksteel wrote:
bradshaw2ben wrote:

AJ Brown
Drake London
Cory Davis
Kyle Pitts
Mack Hollins
Jonnu Smith

2023 Atlanta Falcons targets:

110 Drake London
90 Kyle Pitts
86 Bijan Robinson
70 Jonnu Smith
30 Mack Holins
28 Van Jefferson
23 Tyler Algeier
23 KhaDarrel Hodge
16 Scottie Miller

2022 Atlanta Falcons targets:

117 London
61 Olamide Zaccheaus
59 Kyle Pitts
31 Cordarrelle Patterson
23 Damiere Byrd
21 Mycole Pruitt
20 KhaDarel Hodge
17 Tyler Algeier
Meant to imply that their production wasnt great..in any event..Williams would fit that mold...Drama i'm with you..Smith is definitely a step up from the last few OCs in Pittsburgh

bradshaw2ben
Site Admin

Post by bradshaw2ben » Mon Mar 18, 2024 3:22 pm

Steeldrama wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2024 3:17 pm
Greeksteel wrote:
bradshaw2ben wrote:

AJ Brown
Drake London
Cory Davis
Kyle Pitts
Mack Hollins
Jonnu Smith

An unhealthy Pitts and London were saddled with Marcus Mariotta and Desmond Ridder.

Living here in the glorious suburbs of Atlanta, I'm relieved to never hear his nails on a chalkboard soundbites on my car rides to and from work again.

BUT

After a fun week 1 of free agent activity, I am getting excited at the prospect of YOUR Steelers having their first legitimate OC since Todd Haley and Bruce Arians.

The shit-off stupid decisions to go with the likes of Matt Freaking Canada and that Jethro lookin fella Randy Whats-His-Face are over.

Solidify the OL, add a quality #2 WR and I really think MOST of us (nothing pleases some of you) will find the Steelers' offense MUCH more enjoyable this season.
I know you're on an optimism roll... bless you... but I would like to remind of the elephant in the room: Mike Tomlin has the anti-Midas touch when it comes to everything offense. He can ruin the best OC, system, QB, surrounding talent... you name it. He is nearly undefeated in this regard, except for when he had the top OL in football, a HOF QB, and a HOF WR who did stuff while he stood on the sidelines and watched their genius.

Greeksteel

Post by Greeksteel » Mon Mar 18, 2024 3:24 pm

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2024 3:22 pm
Steeldrama wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2024 3:17 pm
Greeksteel wrote:

BUT

I know you're on an optimism roll... bless you... but I would like to remind of the elephant in the room: Mike Tomlin has the anti-Midas touch when it comes to everything offense. He can ruin the best OC, system, QB, surrounding talent... you name it. He is nearly undefeated in this regard, except for when he had the top OL in football, a HOF QB, and a HOF WR who did stuff while he stood on the sidelines and watched their genius.
Im taking the optimist approach as well but cant argue with anything here

Pabst

Post by Pabst » Mon Mar 18, 2024 3:29 pm

Greeksteel wrote:
The AJ Brown trade happened about a year after Smith left Tennessee.

London and Pitts led the team in targets (see below).

That said - It's kinda wild how fast the target numbers for the Falcons fall off a cliff once you get past the top 4 guys. As a gut check I went back and looked at the 2019 & 2020 Titans, and those teams seemed to spread the ball around alot more.
Attachments
targets.PNG
targets.PNG (17.15 KiB) Viewed 382 times

bradshaw2ben
Site Admin

Post by bradshaw2ben » Mon Mar 18, 2024 3:30 pm

Greeksteel wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2024 3:22 pm
Meant to imply that their production wasnt great..in any event..Williams would fit that mold...Drama i'm with you..Smith is definitely a step up from the last few OCs in Pittsburgh
That's why I look at percentage of targets, percentage of yards, percentage of TDs based on what the team did overall. That kind of puts it in better perspective.

I think you can see in the numbers that you're going to get a lot of 2 WR sets and a ton of play-action and a shit ton of RB/TE screens. So, safe to say you want outside receivers who can block and who will get opportunities to be open from scheme/PA rather than just their ability to get open vs man coverage. Also, I expect the Steelers to see a lot of Cover 3 zone a la what the Steelers used to run with LeBeau. More chance to play the run and less chance to get burned by QB runs or RB dumpoffs.

Greeksteel

Post by Greeksteel » Mon Mar 18, 2024 3:34 pm

Pabst wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2024 3:29 pm
Greeksteel wrote:
The AJ Brown trade happened about a year after Smith left Tennessee.

London and Pitts led the team in targets (see below).

That said - It's kinda wild how fast the target numbers for the Falcons fall off a cliff once you get past the top 4 guys. As a gut check I went back and looked at the 2019 & 2020 Titans, and those teams seemed to spread the ball around alot more.

yes my bad

Stosh-67

Post by Stosh-67 » Mon Mar 18, 2024 3:43 pm

Steelperch wrote:
That 2nd/3rd round WR needs to be that quick route runner that creates separation.

Xavier Worthy, Texas
Jermain Burton, Alabama
Ricky Pearsall, Florida
Ladd McConkey, Georgia

Pickens,
Williams/ Boyd,
2nd/3rd round WR,
Austin,
M. Calloway

Mims or Fitzpatrick #6

Greeksteel

Post by Greeksteel » Mon Mar 18, 2024 3:46 pm

Stosh-67 wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2024 3:43 pm
Steelperch wrote:
That 2nd/3rd round WR needs to be that quick route runner that creates separation.

Xavier Worthy, Texas
Jermain Burton, Alabama
Ricky Pearsall, Florida
Ladd McConkey, Georgia

Pickens,
Williams/ Boyd,
2nd/3rd round WR,
Austin,
M. Calloway

Mims or Fitzpatrick #6
You forgot Van Jefferson

Pabst

Post by Pabst » Mon Mar 18, 2024 3:46 pm

Greeksteel wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2024 3:34 pm
yes my bad
Meh. Happens.

I obviously don't watch much Falcons football, but the Pitts thing is weird to me. I kept hearing how the Atl offense didn't feature Pitts, but on paper he's getting just as many targets as guys like Dalton Schultz and George Kittle (while having a garbage QB).

Greeksteel

Post by Greeksteel » Mon Mar 18, 2024 3:51 pm

Pabst wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2024 3:46 pm
Greeksteel wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2024 3:34 pm
yes my bad
Meh. Happens.

I obviously don't watch much Falcons football, but the Pitts thing is weird to me. I kept hearing how the Atl offense didn't feature Pitts, but on paper he's getting just as many targets as guys like Dalton Schultz and George Kittle (while having a garbage QB).
Empty calorie targets, i know, i have had Pitts in FF last few seasons and lets just say it hasnt been good lol

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic