Comments on Justin Fields from Bears fans

A place to talk Steelers football and what else is going on around the NFL
CoolShades

Comments on Justin Fields from Bears fans

Post by CoolShades » Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:45 pm

Saw a thread on the nfl subreddit called:

What player in your team's history was supposed to be a superstar, but never did because they always had one problem they could never overcome?

A few Bears fans chimed in. (fandom based off their reddit flairs)

- fiveironfre5hy 35 points 3 hours ago
Justin fields and his accuracy. Also Justin fields and his fumbles. Finally, Justin fields and his complete lack of clutch

- ButtonedEye41 4 points an hour ago
Don't forget reading defenses, presnap adjustments, and progressing through reads.

- acripaul 88 points 3 hours ago
Justin Fields. Sigh. Just won't trust himself to throw with anticipation.

–Octavian_202 18 points 2 hours ago
That freeze frame of him against the Bucs. Where he stares at a wide open WR in the end zone, goes to another read coming open, but inexplicably decides tucking the ball and running into a sack 3 yards up field.

Whoo boy that was hilarious. This was the current season by the way, not his rookie year or something

- DrummerGuy06 20 points 2 hours ago
OP asked for ONE problem, not multiple. Justin took too long to go through his reads, couldn't make a decision on who to throw to at any given time, has almost no pocket awareness half the time, and had trouble reading defenses.

- calculung 22 points 2 hours ago
One problem - couldn't play quarterback

- ButtonedEye41 2 points an hour ago
One of my favorite pass times this offseason is pointing out the evolution of Justin Fields delusion. This is the next step, thinking that he really has only one flaw.

The reality is that Justin Fields is the answer to, "Who's the one player for your team that you were convinced would be a star because they were only good at one thing.”

Delusional Steeler fan responds:
- ignatious__reilly 2 points 3 hours ago
We will save him

- acripaul 13 points 3 hours ago
I hope so.

- mtodavk 7 points 3 hours ago
just like trubisky :)

- Testone1440 10 points 3 hours ago
Spoiler alert: you won’t.

- gimmepizzaslow 3 points 3 hours ago
Good luck. He's really bad. It's not just the I've problem like the op listed. He was one of the worst QBs I've ever seen at pre-snap reads and adjustments. His footwork and pocket manipulation was awful. He has a nice arm and great running ability, but none of the other stuff.

- Sidthelid66 1 point 2 hours ago
I'll believe that bullshit when I see it.

- Joe-Raguso 1 point 3 hours ago
You will boo him off your team like the last qb of ours you had

- BIG_FICK_ENERGY 2 points 2 hours ago
Justin Fields would’ve been the best QB in the NFL, if only he was better at throwing the ball.

- ggfchl 2 points 2 hours ago
cough cough Justin Fields cough cough

- dejalive 1 point 2 hours ago
Justin Fields. Many will make excuses and say he just couldn't overcome all the ways in which the Bears "let him down" but... at the end of the day, he's a great athlete who just couldn't overcome not being a good quarterback

- Large-Temperature203 1 point 2 hours ago
Justin Fields and not having backside awareness

Another Steeler QB is mentioned:

- upsidedown_8s 1 point 1 hour ago
Russell Wilson.....himself.

Mike Tomlin and NHALS - The embodiment of the soft bigotry of lowered expectations.

Works At A Bank

Post by Works At A Bank » Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:52 pm

Sounds suspiciously like the assessment of KP

langer

Post by langer » Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:16 pm

That freeze frame of him against the Bucs. Where he stares at a wide open WR in the end zone, goes to another read coming open, but inexplicably decides tucking the ball and running into a sack 3 yards up field.
That's called Picketting.
"So, we have to proceed with caution, but when you’re pursuing greatness, risk-taking is a part of it. Calculated risk-taking. That’s what you’re talking about when you’re drawing up big plays schematically.”

Professor Half Wit

Post by Professor Half Wit » Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:38 pm

Fields and Wilson are on one year contracts at a combined salary of 5 mill and together are much better than Pickett + whatever scrub was going to be brought in. There is, as of now, no downside to having both on the roster since we can move on from either next year if we want.

Thank god KP threw a hissy fit. Best thing he ever did for us.
“Being a fan is fine, but there is a line you can cross that makes it really unhealthy,” said Ken Yeager, PhD, a mental health expert in the department of psychiatry at The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center.

Mick

Post by Mick » Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:36 pm

Thanks to the internet, I’ve learned that the problem with our offense in 2021 was that Ben would just stay in the pocket when the protection broke down. Where more recently under Pickett, the problem has been that he wouldn’t just stay in the pocket when the protection broke down.

Issues which we have apparently now cured by bringing in arguably the two most sack-prone QBs in NFL history.

Deebo

Post by Deebo » Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:44 pm

langer wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:16 pm
That's called Picketting.
Exactly what I was going to say.

I guess the difference is that JF has the ability to escape most troubles. KP thought he did, but he ended up Spinderella-ing to a needless sack

Gonzo

Post by Gonzo » Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:39 pm

This whole thread was worthwhile just to see one of the posters named Ignatius Reilly !!!!!
Thank you

Ice

Post by Ice » Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:10 pm

Gonzo wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:39 pm
This whole thread was worthwhile just to see one of the posters named Ignatius Reilly !!!!!
Thank you
Great book.
Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile...

Steelafan77

Post by Steelafan77 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:12 am

Fields and Wilson were the most sacked QB’s in 2023, then couple that with being the slowest timed throwing from snap.

Almost certainly will be a season of disappointment no matter which one is behind center. Interesting stats in a Depot article.
“I pride myself in creating discomfort for myself and others,” Tomlin said, “I’m fundamentally against comfort.” [3-24-2024]

Stlcrtn1974

Post by Stlcrtn1974 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:01 pm

Steelafan77 wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:12 am
Fields and Wilson were the most sacked QB’s in 2023, then couple that with being the slowest timed throwing from snap.

Almost certainly will be a season of disappointment no matter which one is behind center. Interesting stats in a Depot article.
Behind what Center?

Professor Half Wit

Post by Professor Half Wit » Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:31 pm

Steelafan77 wrote:

And still a huge upgrade from what we had.
“Being a fan is fine, but there is a line you can cross that makes it really unhealthy,” said Ken Yeager, PhD, a mental health expert in the department of psychiatry at The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center.

SteelerDayTrader

Post by SteelerDayTrader » Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:08 pm

Professor Half Wit wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:38 pm
Fields and Wilson are on one year contracts at a combined salary of 5 mill and together are much better than Pickett + whatever scrub was going to be brought in. There is, as of now, no downside to having both on the roster since we can move on from either next year if we want.

Thank god KP threw a hissy fit. Best thing he ever did for us.
🦍
Gorilla Warfare
🦍🦍🦍🏈🏈🦍🦍🦍🦍🏈🏈🏈🦍🦍🦍🦍🦍

steelclan

Post by steelclan » Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:19 pm

I will always take what a Bear fan says about a QB with a grain of salt.

Fields did not have a strong supporting cast and there are questions on how he was used.

Contrast that with Williams who the Bears are bending over backwards to set up for.

Steelafan77

Post by Steelafan77 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:38 am

Stlcrtn1974 wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:01 pm
Steelafan77 wrote:

Behind what Center?
And our center is who again?
Professor Half Wit" post_id=790929 time=1713274281 user_id=86]
Steelafan77 post_id=790923 time=<a href="tel:1713229929">1713229929</a> user_id=297]

And still a huge upgrade from what we had.
This is yet to be determined. Just not going to hold my breath.
“I pride myself in creating discomfort for myself and others,” Tomlin said, “I’m fundamentally against comfort.” [3-24-2024]

tbsteel

Post by tbsteel » Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:19 am

Newsflash: most likely, Russell Wilson is washed and will suck and Justin Fields will never get it and will just be a dude who runs around like a chicken with its head cut off.

But taking risks on those two guys rather than another year wasted with the black hole of nutless suck of lil ken is still an infinitely better option.

And we're not invested in them like we were with Pickett. If it doesn't work out we're much more likely to be able to draft a first round QB next year and give it another go.
Tiny hands, smaller heart.

franco32

Post by franco32 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 1:25 pm

The bigger question for me is why is there this agenda among commentators to say that Justin Fields was not to blame. "He wasn't set up for success", "poor coaching", "didn't have enough weapons", etc.

Some of that is true, but it doesn't change the fact that he can't process the field. It doesn't change the fact that he hangs onto the ball longer than any QB. Now, I hear commentators saying that Fields should be the starter or that he will push Wilson aside quickly? The only way that happens is if Wilson is completely washed and can't throw a forward pass anymore. I think he's on the downside of his career but not a complete wash.

When QBs are blessed with immense arm strength and incredible running ability, everyone wants to see them succeed and produce magic. But, if you can't read the field, it's just never going to happen.

gojira5150

Post by gojira5150 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:09 pm

steelclan wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:19 pm
I will always take what a Bear fan says about a QB with a grain of salt.

Fields did not have a strong supporting cast and there are questions on how he was used.

Contrast that with Williams who the Bears are bending over backwards to set up for.
This is how I see it as well. Fields started playing better when he got DJ Moore. Da Bears had nothing on offense when he was drafted and 3 years afterwards as well
Obliteration Is Imminent

bradshaw2ben
Site Admin

Post by bradshaw2ben » Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:20 pm

Stlcrtn1974 wrote:
Steelafan77 wrote:

Behind what Center?
Steelers are going to revolutionize the NFL by playing without a center, only 1 WR, no nickel CB, and with 8 TEs, 5 LBs and 4 safeties on the field.

the-other-burg

Post by the-other-burg » Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:29 pm

Works At A Bank wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:52 pm
Sounds suspiciously like the assessment of [Insert dual threat QB here]
Fixed it

Stlcrtn1974

Post by Stlcrtn1974 » Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:53 am

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:20 pm
Stlcrtn1974 wrote:
Steelafan77 wrote:

Behind what Center?
Steelers are going to revolutionize the NFL by playing without a center, only 1 WR, no nickel CB, and with 8 TEs, 5 LBs and 4 safeties on the field.
I have complete faith in Coach Tomlin to turn this thing around. It's only been since January of 2017 since they won a playoff game. Fuck the draft, I can't wait for his 3 year extension coming up. Good times ahead.

Jobu

Post by Jobu » Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:04 am

Stlcrtn1974 wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:53 am
bradshaw2ben wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:20 pm
Stlcrtn1974 wrote:

Behind what Center?
I have complete faith in Coach Tomlin to turn this thing around. It's only been since January of 2017 since they won a playoff game. Fuck the draft, I can't wait for his 3 year extension coming up. Good times ahead.
I’m sure I speak for everyone here when I say we all share those feelings!
“Ah, who cares about Seattle’s Space Needle? Dumb looking building, you can see the whole stupid town, built by some jagoff! Pittsburgh got Mt. Warshington, gorgeous hillside, beautiful views of the whole city, built by God…we win!” - Pittsburgh Dad

Thrillsseeker

Post by Thrillsseeker » Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:18 pm

Not sure if I’m excited or terrified that Fraudlins contract extension hasn’t been announced yet.

.Kodiak

Post by .Kodiak » Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:14 pm

Thrillsseeker wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:18 pm
Not sure if I’m excited or terrified that Fraudlins contract extension hasn’t been announced yet.
I don't know if Tomlin would sign it, but maybe his ego would force him to....I extend it with 2025 being an option year exercised if and only if Tomlin wins at least one playoff game this year. I bet you would see a different approach out of the gate - could be good, or could result in a losing season.

Thrillsseeker

Post by Thrillsseeker » Sat Apr 20, 2024 7:49 pm

.Kodiak wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:14 pm
Thrillsseeker wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:18 pm
I don't know if Tomlin would sign it, but maybe his ego would force him to....I extend it with 2025 being an option year exercised if and only if Tomlin wins at least one playoff game this year. I bet you would see a different approach out of the gate - could be good, or could result in a losing season.
Doubtful he would but I agree, that would be something!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic