Pick 3.84 Michigan WR Roman Wilson

Post by RemoAZ » Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:59 am

WR
Roman Wilson
5'11"
185 lbs
Michigan

Pre-Draft Analysis
Wilson ran a 4.39-second 40-yard dash at the combine, and he has the extra gear to run away from coverage on crossers. He pulls away from defenders after the catch and can be a threat on vertical routes. He flashes as a route runner and has the traits to keep developing. He has good hand-eye coordination and plucks the ball out of the air. Wilson is a smaller receiver with short arms, but he has the ability to come down with contested catches. His first-quarter touchdown catch in the game against Nebraska in 2023 is an excellent example. -- Steve Muench

Matt Miller's pro comp: Santana Moss

Kevin Adams
@KevinAdams26
·
15m
Steelers receivers 40 times.

Roman Wilson 4.39
George Pickens 4.47
Van Jefferson 4.39
Quez Watkins 4.35
Calvin Austin 4.32

The Steelers are REALLY fast at wide receiver. Keep up.

Howard Griffith had to resort to chop-blocking him during the 1997 AFC Championship Game. An incredulous Kirkland asked Griffith, “Why do you have to use cheap tactics like chop-blocking?” Griffith replied “Why do you have to be a 300-pound linebacker?”

RemoAZ

Post by RemoAZ » Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:03 am

Pittsburgh Steelers

@steelers
OC Arthur Smith spoke to the media about WR Roman Wilson:
https://twitter.com/steelers/status/1784053677742805371
Howard Griffith had to resort to chop-blocking him during the 1997 AFC Championship Game. An incredulous Kirkland asked Griffith, “Why do you have to use cheap tactics like chop-blocking?” Griffith replied “Why do you have to be a 300-pound linebacker?”

Steelafan77

Post by Steelafan77 » Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:04 am

Like the pick but I’m hoping they double down and take another WR in this draft.
“I pride myself in creating discomfort for myself and others,” Tomlin said, “I’m fundamentally against comfort.” [3-24-2024]

Stillchest

Post by Stillchest » Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:05 am

RemoAZ wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:59 am
WR
Roman Wilson
5'11"
185 lbs
Michigan

Roman Wilson's NFL draft profile
Take a look at some of Roman Wilson's biggest catches during his time at Michigan.

Pre-Draft Analysis
Wilson ran a 4.39-second 40-yard dash at the combine, and he has the extra gear to run away from coverage on crossers. He pulls away from defenders after the catch and can be a threat on vertical routes. He flashes as a route runner and has the traits to keep developing. He has good hand-eye coordination and plucks the ball out of the air. Wilson is a smaller receiver with short arms, but he has the ability to come down with contested catches. His first-quarter touchdown catch in the game against Nebraska in 2023 is an excellent example. -- Steve Muench

Kevin Adams
@KevinAdams26
·
15m

Roman Wilson 4.39
George Pickens 4.47
Van Jefferson 4.39
Quez Watkins 4.35
Calvin Austin 4.32

Absolutely, hate this fucking pick.

Unless Artie Smiff plans on making use of the a lot WR, Wilson isn't a schematic fit. Also, hasn't shown he can beat press. Hate his size and was a bobble catcher until last season. Supposedly, can run every route on the tree but I haven't seen him do it in the Michigan offense.

Definitely, was a Tomlin personal feelings pick.

AirRescueFF

Post by AirRescueFF » Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:17 am

Herbig connection at HS.

LakecrestSteeler

Post by LakecrestSteeler » Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:44 am

Looks pretty good on the highlights.

See him high pointing and not getting distracted. Looks to be an anti-DJ.

https://youtu.be/svI6klAkLcc?si=-imumSjTKHph9Mi_

Mick

Post by Mick » Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:03 pm

I don’t like the pick, but i’ve been wrong about wrs we’ve taken in the past so i’ll hold out optimism.

bradshaw2ben
Site Admin

Post by bradshaw2ben » Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:26 pm

I feel like there has to be more to this story. Either Arthur is going to spend a whole lot more time in 3 WR than he has previously, or he's going to run a lot more condensed sets with 2 WR, both to one side, or he's going to show a thousand times more creativity on offense than he's ever shown before... or this is a Christmas sweater that doesn't fit.

I appreciate the speed angle-- they might have the fastest WR corps in the NFL from top to bottom right now. Maybe that's going to be a focus? Seems wildly different from what Tolin seems to prefer and what Arthur Smith has done his whole career.

Professor Half Wit

Post by Professor Half Wit » Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:45 pm

Automatic, dispositional habits of thinking that are absolutist in character that ignore nuance and employ universal quantifiers like "absolutely", "always," "never", "all", "none" tends to be associated with lower levels of happiness.
“Being a fan is fine, but there is a line you can cross that makes it really unhealthy,” said Ken Yeager, PhD, a mental health expert in the department of psychiatry at The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center.

Jobu

Post by Jobu » Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:48 pm

I think the misunderstanding is that most believe that Art Smith has been hired to run Art Smith’s offense.
Actually, Art Smith has been hired to run Mike Tomlin’s offense. Just like every other OC before him.
“Ah, who cares about Seattle’s Space Needle? Dumb looking building, you can see the whole stupid town, built by some jagoff! Pittsburgh got Mt. Warshington, gorgeous hillside, beautiful views of the whole city, built by God…we win!” - Pittsburgh Dad

Charles Demarr

Post by Charles Demarr » Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:50 pm

Professor Half Wit wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:45 pm
Automatic, dispositional habits of thinking that are absolutist in character that ignore nuance and employ universal quantifiers like "absolutely", "always," "never", "all", "none" tends to be associated with lower levels of happiness.
:lol:

Referred to him as Mr Brightside on Twitter this week.

Professor Half Wit

Post by Professor Half Wit » Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:51 pm

Jobu wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:48 pm
I think the misunderstanding is that most believe that Art Smith has been hired to run Art Smith’s offense.
Actually, Art Smith has been hired to run Mike Tomlin’s offense. Just like every other OC before him.
Or Art Smith already does what Tomlin wants so maybe Tomlin will stay out of his hair a bit more. Given the current trends in the NFL, at some point in the near future, the 95 Cowboys offense might just make a deep push. We could be nearing the broken clock singularity of Tomlin correctness. :lol:
“Being a fan is fine, but there is a line you can cross that makes it really unhealthy,” said Ken Yeager, PhD, a mental health expert in the department of psychiatry at The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center.

zeke5123

Post by zeke5123 » Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:57 pm

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:26 pm
I feel like there has to be more to this story. Either Arthur is going to spend a whole lot more time in 3 WR than he has previously, or he's going to run a lot more condensed sets with 2 WR, both to one side, or he's going to show a thousand times more creativity on offense than he's ever shown before... or this is a Christmas sweater that doesn't fit.

I appreciate the speed angle-- they might have the fastest WR corps in the NFL from top to bottom right now. Maybe that's going to be a focus? Seems wildly different from what Tolin seems to prefer and what Arthur Smith has done his whole career.
I know Smith likes big guys to help with blocking…but in theory fast guys should compliment ground and pound. Once you get the one on one of your guy on the outside is a blazer could get six. Also helps to try to keep the safety out of the box.

Now that requires the Steelers effectively running and it requires Wilson connecting on the deep ball.

Havoc

Post by Havoc » Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:56 pm

zeke5123 wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:57 pm
bradshaw2ben wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:26 pm

I know Smith likes big guys to help with blocking…but in theory fast guys should compliment ground and pound. Once you get the one on one of your guy on the outside is a blazer could get six. Also helps to try to keep the safety out of the box.

Now that requires the Steelers effectively running and it requires Wilson connecting on the deep ball.
Speed and playmaking gives us a chance to offset HC conservative stupidity.

Please, MORE speed.
Throw. The. Football. On. First. Down.

.Kodiak

Post by .Kodiak » Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:50 pm

Professor Half Wit wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:51 pm
Or Art Smith already does what Tomlin wants so maybe Tomlin will stay out of his hair a bit more. Given the current trends in the NFL, at some point in the near future, the 95 Cowboys offense might just make a deep push. We could be nearing the broken clock singularity of Tomlin correctness. :lol:
The only flaw in that theory is it our defense continues to get boat raced in the playoffs.

But could be enough to finally win that elusive wild card game.

.Kodiak

Post by .Kodiak » Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:53 pm

Jobu wrote:
The most optimistic we can hope for is Smith will be a little more dynamic and, perhaps possibly maybe run some different things based on this match-up thing to attack weaknesses I keep hearing about.

But maybe people down on this pick are forgetting we need someone to run the jet sweep 3x per game.

meanjustinbarlow

Post by meanjustinbarlow » Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:56 pm

Which WRs would we have preferred over Wilson?

I was eyeing Brenden RIce.... and maybe they arent done?

Stillchest

Post by Stillchest » Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:36 pm

meanjustinbarlow wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:56 pm

Adonai Mitchell's tape is fantastic! Would've made an excellent pick in Smith's offense but they took Frazier instead.

Thought McCormick could've transitioned to Center or Van Prnan, despite his short arms.

Mick

Post by Mick » Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:40 pm

meanjustinbarlow wrote:

of those on the board at that point, i would definitely have wanted baker or franklin over wilson, and probably rice, mccaffrey, washington, and ainias smith as well.

stillthere

Post by stillthere » Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:26 pm

AirRescueFF wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:17 am
Herbig connection at HS.
Saint Louis is a state powerhouse. It has been since I was there in the late 80s and before that. It is a private school on Oahu that can recruit the best players from all the other islands as well as get the kids on Oahu. Punahou is similar in that regard at one point the US Olympic swim team trained at Punahou HS. Those two programs battle it out all the time.

AirRescueFF

Post by AirRescueFF » Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:15 am

stillthere wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:26 pm
AirRescueFF wrote:
Herbig connection at HS.
Saint Louis is a state powerhouse. It has been since I was there in the late 80s and before that. It is a private school on Oahu that can recruit the best players from all the other islands as well as get the kids on Oahu. Punahou is similar in that regard at one point the US Olympic swim team trained at Punahou HS. Those two programs battle it out all the time.

Yessir.

Tide has turned a bit recently. Having gone back to a couple of public schools. Cross league games/playoffs/championships as well.

stillthere

Post by stillthere » Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:38 am

AirRescueFF wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:15 am
stillthere wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:26 pm
AirRescueFF wrote:
Herbig connection at HS.

Yessir.

Tide has turned a bit recently. Having gone back to a couple of public schools. Cross league games/playoffs/championships as well.
Mililani has stepped up a few times. Farrington always has a wall of Samoans and then Nanakuli and Wainae just pump out giants all the time.

steelclan

Post by steelclan » Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:57 am

Stillchest wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:05 am
RemoAZ wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:59 am
WR
Roman Wilson
5'11"
185 lbs
Michigan

Roman Wilson's NFL draft profile
Take a look at some of Roman Wilson's biggest catches during his time at Michigan.

Pre-Draft Analysis

Kevin Adams
@KevinAdams26
·
15m

Roman Wilson 4.39
George Pickens 4.47
Van Jefferson 4.39
Quez Watkins 4.35
Calvin Austin 4.32

Absolutely, hate this fucking pick.

Unless Artie Smiff plans on making use of the a lot WR, Wilson isn't a schematic fit. Also, hasn't shown he can beat press. Hate his size and was a bobble catcher until last season. Supposedly, can run every route on the tree but I haven't seen him do it in the Michigan offense.

Definitely, was a Tomlin personal feelings pick.

He can beat press and did so routinely at the senior bowl v some very good CBs. To include Quinyon Mitchell who Wilson absolutely roasted.

I am not a major fan of the player because of scheme but Wilson has talent. Plus given Steelers' history with receivers made we should hold off before setting the torches to the funeral pyre.

steelclan

Post by steelclan » Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:00 am

Stillchest wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:36 pm
meanjustinbarlow wrote:

Adonai Mitchell's tape is fantastic! Would've made an excellent pick in Smith's offense but they took Frazier instead.

Thought McCormick could've transitioned to Center or Van Prnan, despite his short arms.
His tape is actually very up and down. Yes, he has some big time flash moments but he also vanishes for huge portions of games.

I get liking Mitchell because of his athletic profile and the flashes on the field but slow the roll here, his tape is not fantastic.

It is mixed and the production backs that up.

SteelerDayTrader

Post by SteelerDayTrader » Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:03 am

The one thing I keep hearing is great teammate and dedicated worker

That’s ^^^^ important

Especially when you have the rare tools he does

90% + of all WRs are total divas. That particularly doesn’t work well in Pittsburgh

I don’t think Wilson will have a problem becoming the WR we need him to be

He has excelled in the big moments previously
Gorilla Warfare
🦍🦍🦍🏈🏈🦍🦍🦍🦍🏈🏈🏈🦍🦍🦍🦍🦍

cop1211

Post by cop1211 » Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:31 am

I like him hope they use him. One drop last year.
AD Mitchell is supposedly a major league asshole.

jebrick

Post by jebrick » Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:49 pm

I have come around on Roman Wilson. Better 3 cone than DJ. Will need to learn his craft
“If you see the handwriting on the wall, you’re in the toilet.”

- Fred Sanford

Professor Half Wit

Post by Professor Half Wit » Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:13 pm

SteelerDayTrader wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:03 am
The one thing I keep hearing is great teammate and dedicated worker

That’s ^^^^ important

Especially when you have the rare tools he does

90% + of all WRs are total divas. That particularly doesn’t work well in Pittsburgh

I don’t think Wilson will have a problem becoming the WR we need him to be

He has excelled in the big moments previously
We desperately need a Minkah character type guy on offense. Someone who is ready to brawl in the locker room if you step on the logo. I LOVE this pick from what I'm hearing.

.Kodiak

Post by .Kodiak » Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:47 pm

steelclan wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:57 am
Plus given Steelers' history with receivers made we should hold off before setting the torches to the funeral pyre.
When are people going to stop saying this and realize the Steelers haven't developed or improved a wide receiver since Mann retired 5 years ago?

anpsteel

Post by anpsteel » Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:49 pm

.Kodiak wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:53 pm
Jobu wrote:
The most optimistic we can hope for is Smith will be a little more dynamic and, perhaps possibly maybe run some different things based on this match-up thing to attack weaknesses I keep hearing about.

But maybe people down on this pick are forgetting we need someone to run the jet sweep 3x per game.
I thought that’s what Van Johnson was for lol

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic