Pick 3b.98 Payton Wilson LB NC State

Post by RemoAZ » Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:19 am

LB
Payton Wilson
6'4"
233 lbs
NC State

Pre-Draft Analysis
Wilson is a sideline-to-sideline defender who finished his college career with 402 tackles and ran the fastest 40-yard dash out of all the linebackers at the combine (4.43). He gets to depth, shows good instincts and breaks on the ball well in coverage. And he has the traits to match up with tight ends and backs. Wilson finished his college career with seven interceptions and 20 passes defended. He also finished with a career-high six sacks in 2023, and his burst makes him a threat to get to the quarterback when he rushes. -- Steve Muench

Matt Miller's pro comp: Leighton Vander Esch

Howard Griffith had to resort to chop-blocking him during the 1997 AFC Championship Game. An incredulous Kirkland asked Griffith, “Why do you have to use cheap tactics like chop-blocking?” Griffith replied “Why do you have to be a 300-pound linebacker?”

jewelsongs

Post by jewelsongs » Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:22 am

What a draft!

Stosh-67

Post by Stosh-67 » Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:25 am

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/payton-wi ... a7cad134d0

Short Balldinger video.
Said will go between 37 and 65.

Gonzo

Post by Gonzo » Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:36 am

great pick - but they say his medical report says possible short career ?

LakecrestSteeler

Post by LakecrestSteeler » Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:52 am

RemoAZ wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:19 am
LB
Payton Wilson
6'4"
233 lbs
NC State

Pre-Draft Analysis
Wilson is a sideline-to-sideline defender who finished his college career with 402 tackles and ran the fastest 40-yard dash out of all the linebackers at the combine (4.43). He gets to depth, shows good instincts and breaks on the ball well in coverage. And he has the traits to match up with tight ends and backs. Wilson finished his college career with seven interceptions and 20 passes defended. He also finished with a career-high six sacks in 2023, and his burst makes him a threat to get to the quarterback when he rushes. -- Steve Muench

Matt Miller's pro comp: Leighton Vander Esch
Looks like a great athlete…cross between Watt and Herbig. Looks good on returns and fake punts.

https://youtu.be/svI6klAkLcc?si=-imumSjTKHph9Mi_

Looks like we can use him inside or on the edge. Should start week 1 on the inside with that speed?

TimmayLake

Post by TimmayLake » Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:40 am

Fast, instinctive. Not a hitter though. More of a grab and wrap tackler.

RemoAZ

Post by RemoAZ » Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:57 am

TimmayLake wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:40 am
That's about all that's legal now.
Howard Griffith had to resort to chop-blocking him during the 1997 AFC Championship Game. An incredulous Kirkland asked Griffith, “Why do you have to use cheap tactics like chop-blocking?” Griffith replied “Why do you have to be a 300-pound linebacker?”

Mick

Post by Mick » Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:58 am

RemoAZ wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:57 am
TimmayLake wrote:
wrapping to pull down is hip drop. Not legal.

bradshaw2ben
Site Admin

Post by bradshaw2ben » Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:34 pm

I think they picked a guy with medical flags but why the hell not at this stage and with this LB class? Considering the type of LB they seem to favor (downhill burst), they could have--and likely would have in the old days--picked far worse than this.

Setting his health aside, I think he is a player who pops when you watch his games and bare minimum will be a terrific STs guy. If he's more than that and has a career longer than a year or two, huge win.

This is exactly the kind of home run swing you're supposed to take.

TimmayLake

Post by TimmayLake » Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:33 pm

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:34 pm
I think they picked a guy with medical flags but why the hell not at this stage and with this LB class? Considering the type of LB they seem to favor (downhill burst), they could have--and likely would have in the old days--picked far worse than this.

Setting his health aside, I think he is a player who pops when you watch his games and bare minimum will be a terrific STs guy. If he's more than that and has a career longer than a year or two, huge win.

You'd be happy if a 3rd round pick only has a 1 or 2 year career? I feel like that might be the expectation for a 7th rounder...not a 3rd.

daikyu

Post by daikyu » Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:31 pm

No you should be happy if the 7th rounder makes the team.
TimmayLake wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:33 pm
bradshaw2ben wrote:

You'd be happy if a 3rd round pick only has a 1 or 2 year career? I feel like that might be the expectation for a 7th rounder...not a 3rd.

Professor Half Wit

Post by Professor Half Wit » Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:36 pm

TimmayLake wrote:
bradshaw2ben wrote:

DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMM!!!!!
“Being a fan is fine, but there is a line you can cross that makes it really unhealthy,” said Ken Yeager, PhD, a mental health expert in the department of psychiatry at The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center.

NCsteelerSU

Post by NCsteelerSU » Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:33 pm

Wilson is a player, first round talent for sure, if he can stay healthy he'll have the green dot one day. I've had season tix for the past 20 years at State, I can tell you this kid is a baller, loves the game, blue collar country kid that plays with his hair on fire, he's going to become a fan favorite. So stoked he's in the black and gold. Caveat is health of course, if that's behind him, watch out.

https://www.reddit.com/r/steelers/comme ... _nc_state/

Havoc

Post by Havoc » Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:07 pm

NCsteelerSU wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:33 pm
Wilson is a player, first round talent for sure, if he can stay healthy he'll have the green dot one day. I've had season tix for the past 20 years at State, I can tell you this kid is a baller, loves the game, blue collar country kid that plays with his hair on fire, he's going to become a fan favorite. So stoked he's in the black and gold. Caveat is health of course, if that's behind him, watch out.

https://www.reddit.com/r/steelers/comme ... _nc_state/
An attempt at a home run swing in the 3rd.

Works for me
Throw. The. Football. On. First. Down.

anpsteel

Post by anpsteel » Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:46 pm

Mick wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:58 am
RemoAZ wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:57 am
TimmayLake wrote:
wrapping to pull down is hip drop. Not legal.
You can still wrap and pull down. You just cant swivel your hips to bring your legs forward (under the player's center of gravity)

In other words, if you leave your legs extended, it's okay.

Also, a rugby style grab and rotate through the body, is still allowed.

Stosh-67

Post by Stosh-67 » Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:46 pm

Didn't we draft a 6'-4" lanky ilb that can run and cover, that was a blue collar football smart player a few years back.

Steelafan77

Post by Steelafan77 » Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:02 pm

I’m detecting a bit of a trend in the 3rd RND for the Steelers.

Last year’s draft, the draft fell to the Steelers drafting a player with injury history, D. Washington.

Then they draft a 7th RNDer with an injury history as well, C. Trice.

Not sure what the method to madness is with their draft philosophy.

This year they draft another player with serious injury history P. Wilson.

As a Steeler fan I can only hope he ends up on the field playing as Washington did and not with a season ending on the practice field like Trice.

I’m thinking it’s no secret many here would’ve preferred another player selected at this pick and likely a player with little if any injury history.

As a die hard Steeler fan, I would’ve preferred switching the player position in the draft order.

If they absolutely had to have an off ball LBer in the same draft range my choice is Marist Liufau.

WR, it’s obvious I am a fan of Luke McCaffrey. That said, I believe both players would be acceptable by most here.

Anyway, I know regardless of who is drafted We are all rooting for these players to have great success at the next level here in Pittsburgh.
“I pride myself in creating discomfort for myself and others,” Tomlin said, “I’m fundamentally against comfort.” [3-24-2024]

Mick

Post by Mick » Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:57 pm

I think gambling on medical issues in the late rounds makes sense. I’m sure as a GM, having a bunch of late round picks that start a bunch of games while playing at near replacement level is better for your resume than cutting all your late round guys and filling out the roster with veteran minimum guys, but it doesn’t help win.

Where getting ~8 games a year average of actual good play from a late round pick is real value.

SteelerDayTrader

Post by SteelerDayTrader » Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:02 pm

I think you gotta be 2 deep with starter level talent at both ILB spots

Injuries are part of the position
Gorilla Warfare
🦍🦍🦍🏈🏈🦍🦍🦍🦍🏈🏈🏈🦍🦍🦍🦍🦍

SteelerDayTrader

Post by SteelerDayTrader » Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:06 pm

bradshaw2ben wrote:

🦍🦍🦍🏈
Gorilla Warfare
🦍🦍🦍🏈🏈🦍🦍🦍🦍🏈🏈🏈🦍🦍🦍🦍🦍

bradshaw2ben
Site Admin

Post by bradshaw2ben » Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:31 pm

Steelafan77 wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:02 pm
I’m detecting a bit of a trend in the 3rd RND for the Steelers.

Last year’s draft, the draft fell to the Steelers drafting a player with injury history, D. Washington.

Then they draft a 7th RNDer with an injury history as well, C. Trice.

Not sure what the method to madness is with their draft philosophy.

This year they draft another player with serious injury history P. Wilson.

As a Steeler fan I can only hope he ends up on the field playing as Washington did and not with a season ending on the practice field like Trice.

I’m thinking it’s no secret many here would’ve preferred another player selected at this pick and likely a player with little if any injury history.

As a die hard Steeler fan, I would’ve preferred switching the player position in the draft order.

If they absolutely had to have an off ball LBer in the same draft range my choice is Marist Liufau.

WR, it’s obvious I am a fan of Luke McCaffrey. That said, I believe both players would be acceptable by most here.

Anyway, I know regardless of who is drafted We are all rooting for these players to have great success at the next level here in Pittsburgh.
Liufau was the second worst LB I watched on tape this year, and only the existence of Jackson Sirmon saved him from having just about the worst film I’ve ever seen from a highly regarded prospect. I’d have taken his college teammate 100 times out of 100 over Liufau, who has no instincts, is a bad tackler, loafs, can’t cover shit, and generally plays a mile below his athleticism. At least Wilson plays like his hair is on fire, shows every bit of his speed on tape, has good instincts, and is better in coverage than you’d think for a player of his build.

Sorry to be harsh but just can’t stand the player.

Steelafan77

Post by Steelafan77 » Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:37 pm

No apology necessary. Just Football talk. Appreciate the dialogue.

You’ll notice my caveat is “if they had to have an off the ball LBer in that range”….

In My opinion the worst group of ILB candidates in a draft the last decade.

My hope is Wilson surprises stays healthy and becomes the antithesis player Devin bush was.

Not a huge fan of the other Wilson drafted and preferred McCaffrey but I will root for him.
“I pride myself in creating discomfort for myself and others,” Tomlin said, “I’m fundamentally against comfort.” [3-24-2024]

R_S

Post by R_S » Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:48 pm

SteelerDayTrader wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:06 pm
bradshaw2ben wrote:

🦍🦍🦍🏈
I expected your take to be "ham-n-egger"

Mick

Post by Mick » Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:22 am

Steelafan77 wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:37 pm
No apology necessary. Just Football talk. Appreciate the dialogue.

You’ll notice my caveat is “if they had to have an off the ball LBer in that range”….

In My opinion the worst group of ILB candidates in a draft the last decade.

My hope is Wilson surprises stays healthy and becomes the antithesis player Devin bush was.

Not a huge fan of the other Wilson drafted and preferred McCaffrey but I will root for him.
I think this years ILB class is better than last years. I like Gray and Knight who were both still on the board then, but can’t argue with Wilson, who is probably the best ILB to come out since…Roquan maybe? Just awful medicals.

Steeldrama

Post by Steeldrama » Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:32 am

Omar took same late rd 3 gamble on medicals last year with Georgia TE Darnell Washington

He wasn’t a prominent player but at least made it through the year healthy unlike 7th round dart throw Corey Trice who didn’t make it out of camp
Nick Markakis on Astros: "Every guy over there needs a beating."

steelclan

Post by steelclan » Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:48 am

TimmayLake wrote:
bradshaw2ben wrote:

The average hit rate for 3rd rounders as starters? Is something like 20%. Fans have a hugely inflated view of the draft.

steelclan

Post by steelclan » Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:05 am

Not in love with taking players with big time injury issues. I don't consider Washington or Fautanu to be close to this level of injury concern.

I've seen too many teams race to the podium to take a player with massive injury concerns and more often than not come up short.

His tape is good for most part do worry about his length. He does struggles to get off blocks a bit too often but TBF that is almost standard for CFB ILBers these days.

It is a risk and guess if you going to do it back of 3rd is not bad place. Least not in 2nd or first.

Payton Wilson was the one pick I was truly disappointed at.

Didn't love Roman Wilson pick but can't deny value getting him where they did and PS history with WRs hard to knock them too much.

VeritasSteel

Post by VeritasSteel » Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:12 am

Well being that the last 5 ILBs have had ACL issues the FO picked a guy who only has one. So 50% less chance of losing him for the season 🤷🏾‍♂️

SteelerDayTrader

Post by SteelerDayTrader » Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:21 am

Here’s why I’m not that worried about Peyton’s injury history

- He’s got the goods as a football player. Elite in some regards

- He seems like the type that will do well hitting the weight room and train hard to handle the NFL pounding

- I suspect he will realize in the big leagues he needs to improve beyond his obvious physical gifts that he got by on in college

- I think the Steelers FOR ONCE might be on the forefront of a shift in the NFL. We all questioned signing Queen when Roberts had played very well mostly. Most of us are expecting Holcomb to return to form at some point and had not focused on ILB mostly due to solid play by Roberts and Holcomb and also a weak ILB class. I think you have to have starter talent that is 2 deep at both ILB spots in a Steelers type 3-4. Injuries are just too prevalent across the board at those positions. I think the Steelers realize they need more than just a starter and a marginal backup. I think they are expecting injuries and planning for them
Last edited by SteelerDayTrader on Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gorilla Warfare
🦍🦍🦍🏈🏈🦍🦍🦍🦍🏈🏈🏈🦍🦍🦍🦍🦍

cop1211

Post by cop1211 » Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:25 am

I believe he has played the last 2 seasons injury free.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic