This draft = time to Pawnd da rock?

A place to talk Steelers football and what else is going on around the NFL
TimmayLake

This draft = time to Pawnd da rock?

Post by TimmayLake » Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:39 pm

Does this signal a return to Paleolithic 3 yards and a cloud of dust football in an ever increasing pass happy NFL? Seems odd to focus so much this offseason on QBs then go all out on drafting OL.

steelclan

Post by steelclan » Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:41 pm

No, Weidl came from Iggles. Iggles focused hard on trenches and it worked.

Stillchest

Post by Stillchest » Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:48 pm

TimmayLake wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:39 pm
Does this signal a return to Paleolithic 3 yards and a cloud of dust football in an ever increasing pass happy NFL? Seems odd to focus so much this offseason on QBs then go all out on drafting OL.
They only intend to run 65% of the time.

Works At A Bank

Post by Works At A Bank » Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:50 pm

Establish the run and keep ole man Wilson upright. I’m loving the draft so far

Stillchest

Post by Stillchest » Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:50 pm

steelclan wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:41 pm
Eagles employ a modern football offense

Unlike the Steelers.

But yeah, Weidl knows how to build the trenches.

Smashmouth21

Post by Smashmouth21 » Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:51 pm

Smashmouth football. Pittsburgh style.
— Jerome Bettis

TimmayLake

Post by TimmayLake » Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:59 pm

Stillchest wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:50 pm
steelclan wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:41 pm
Eagles employ a modern football offense

Unlike the Steelers.

But yeah, Weidl knows how to build the trenches.
He better produce results given we used almost all of our premium picks this year on OL.

Stosh-67

Post by Stosh-67 » Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:06 pm

Next year may see two DL in first 4 picks...
I had many indepth posts on how they had a 8-10 year strech with only one oline and dline in first 2 rounds before last year
Negligent.

Steelafan77

Post by Steelafan77 » Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:24 pm

Couldn’t have had a deeper Oline group this draft to pull it off. JMO
“I pride myself in creating discomfort for myself and others,” Tomlin said, “I’m fundamentally against comfort.” [3-24-2024]

Obviously

Post by Obviously » Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:26 pm

TimmayLake wrote:
How about a redraft TimmayLake style. Give us your picks with what was available at the time.
#NoMoTomlin
#BecauseTomlin
#FireTomlin
#Obviously

Louis Lipps Service

Post by Louis Lipps Service » Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:26 pm

I’m actually hoping we’re so far behind the times that we’re actually ahead.

With everyone else going pass happy and finesse, maybe a big, mauling team can manhandle those finesse teams.

Personally, I see it as a recipe to be successful in the regular season, but is going to fall short in the playoffs.

At some point, you’re going against Mahomes, Allen, Burrow, Jackson, etc and going to have to put up 30+ points.

anpsteel

Post by anpsteel » Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:15 pm

Louis Lipps Service wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:26 pm

With everyone else going pass happy and finesse, maybe a big, mauling team can manhandle those finesse teams.

Personally, I see it as a recipe to be successful in the regular season, but is going to fall short in the playoffs.

At some point, you’re going against Mahomes, Allen, Burrow, Jackson, etc and going to have to put up 30+ points.
Unfortunately, I agree; because you can’t hit the QB or Receivers anymore

Which is why it’s a passing league

Stosh-67

Post by Stosh-67 » Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:24 pm

3 of 4/5 possessions a half = three 6-7 minute drives
X 2 halves
= 40 minutes keeping ball out of high octane offense.
That is how they'll have to win vs those teams until they add that last piece Franchises QB

anpsteel

Post by anpsteel » Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:27 pm

Stosh-67 wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:24 pm
X 2 halves
That is how they'll have to win vs those teams until they add that last piece Franchises QB
That’s certainly how Tomlin wants to do it

Stillchest

Post by Stillchest » Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:32 pm

anpsteel wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:27 pm
Stosh-67 wrote:
X 2 halves
That’s certainly how Tomlin wants to do it
Of course, should those drives end in a kick, they're not scoring TD's, then they will likely be a 7-9 win team.

Definitely, a football philosophy that produces mediocrity.

Stillchest

Post by Stillchest » Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:34 pm

Stosh-67 wrote:
X 2 halves
Those are really difficult results to produce in the NFL.

That philosophy makes it more difficult on the players to execute.

VeritasSteel

Post by VeritasSteel » Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:29 pm

. Our division has 3 teams in the second years of C2 QBs. All of those teams are going to be one dimensional on defense meaning they are built to stop the pass either with coverage or pressure.

The issue with the running game in the playoffs is usually they have nothing else and a team can commit 8 in the box and ask the QB the questions. Where I see this as different is you have a guy in Wilson who understands that the run/pass balance is what gets you into the SB. Having a run heavy team put the defenses into a lot of man coverage and a vet like Wilson should treat that like he’s stealing.

bradshaw2ben
Site Admin

Post by bradshaw2ben » Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:38 pm

Stosh-67 wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:06 pm
Next year may see two DL in first 4 picks...
I had many indepth posts on how they had a 8-10 year strech with only one oline and dline in first 2 rounds before last year
Negligent.
Gonna be QB, DL, & WR in some order… and probably TE if Art Smith is a success but PF doesn’t make it through the year.

bradshaw2ben
Site Admin

Post by bradshaw2ben » Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:39 pm

anpsteel wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:15 pm

But now you also can’t tackle guys, so it should help the running teams.

bradshaw2ben
Site Admin

Post by bradshaw2ben » Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:40 pm

I’d also like to point out the sobering reminder that the Steelers invested in all that OL while continuing to employ a shitty OL coach.

anpsteel

Post by anpsteel » Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:38 am

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:39 pm
anpsteel wrote:

Well certainly teams are built to stop the pass these days, so running on them should be easier.

stillthere

Post by stillthere » Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:46 am

TimmayLake wrote:
Just resetting the whole thing. Get 2 years out of Wilson while the line gels and then when you have to bring in either a young inexperienced or expensive QB the OL is getting ready to become a 10-year unit as they had with early Big Ben with Faneca, and that crew then prime Big Ben with the Pouncey, Foster, DeCastro, Big Al, etc...

SteelerDayTrader

Post by SteelerDayTrader » Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:07 am

They need more at RB

Hopefully Daijun Edwards has what it takes

If he does Harris Warren Edwards isn’t too bad
Gorilla Warfare
🦍🦍🦍🏈🏈🦍🦍🦍🦍🏈🏈🏈🦍🦍🦍🦍🦍

Stillchest

Post by Stillchest » Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:24 am

VeritasSteel wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:29 pm
. Our division has 3 teams in the second years of C2 QBs. All of those teams are going to be one dimensional on defense meaning they are built to stop the pass either with coverage or pressure.

The issue with the running game in the playoffs is usually they have nothing else and a team can commit 8 in the box and ask the QB the questions. Where I see this as different is you have a guy in Wilson who understands that the run/pass balance is what gets you into the SB. Having a run heavy team put the defenses into a lot of man coverage and a vet like Wilson should treat that like he’s stealing.
Who's the #2 WR?

Roman Wilson?

Wilson made a lot of plays out of structure at Michigan.

Can't see how his skill set translates as an outside WR in the NFL, when he has been predominantly a slot.

RemoAZ

Post by RemoAZ » Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:27 am

This offense is what Tomlin has wanted for years. He finally hired an OC that is on the same page and is drafting for it. I wonder if Ben is looking at this and thinking, damn it I'd have had a good oline and running game the last 5 years or so in my career ala Payton Manning/John Elway-eske final years, maybe we'd have challenged for one more ring. Instead they are doing it now with a QB room full of other team's trash and an OC that wants to be as overly conservative as the HC. Should be good for at least 9 wins and no chance to contend. The Tomlin special. I love the fact that they are building an elite offensive line but unless they get a talented QB to develop in a balanced offense with a modern passing attack, we'll just get more of the same we've had for the last decade+. The only difference is now Tomlin will be doing it with the exact staff, roster and scheme designed for it which will hopefully spell the end of his tenure. There's no denying what we'll see next season.
Howard Griffith had to resort to chop-blocking him during the 1997 AFC Championship Game. An incredulous Kirkland asked Griffith, “Why do you have to use cheap tactics like chop-blocking?” Griffith replied “Why do you have to be a 300-pound linebacker?”

SteelerDayTrader

Post by SteelerDayTrader » Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:32 am

Stillchest wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:24 am
VeritasSteel wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:29 pm

Who's the #2 WR?

Roman Wilson?

Wilson made a lot of plays out of structure at Michigan.

Can't see how his skill set translates as an outside WR in the NFL, when he has been predominantly a slot.

Wilson has elite WR tools/measurables in almost every regard

He’s done well in big moments

He’s a dedicated teammate and works hard

If the Steelers can’t get what they need out of him its their own fault
Gorilla Warfare
🦍🦍🦍🏈🏈🦍🦍🦍🦍🏈🏈🏈🦍🦍🦍🦍🦍

bradshaw2ben
Site Admin

Post by bradshaw2ben » Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:21 am

anpsteel wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:38 am
bradshaw2ben wrote:
anpsteel wrote:

Well certainly teams are built to stop the pass these days, so running on them should be easier.
People have been saying that for a decade… see the results for yourself.

anpsteel

Post by anpsteel » Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:37 pm

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:21 am
anpsteel wrote:
bradshaw2ben wrote:

I understand

All it takes is for the opponent to get ahead by 2+ scores, and the strategy starts to fall apart

This is amplified by the rule advantages aiding the passing game.

With that being said, in general, the best defense against a prolific passing offense, is to keep it on the bench.

Also, and this might be the point you are making, if the opponent knows you are going to run the ball, because the scheme is far too transparent, it’s much easier to stop.

If you run a specific formation, or personnel group, and do the same thing out of that 80% of the time, you’ll surprise no one

The Steelers under Tomlin have been guilty of that for more or less the duration. Actually that goes back to Cowher too.

So, the best way to run on a team built to stop the pass, is to get them in a pass defense and run against that

Much like the Steelers opponents thrive when getting the Steelers in Nickel and run up the middle

StillerDownSouth

Post by StillerDownSouth » Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:43 pm

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:21 am
anpsteel wrote:
bradshaw2ben wrote:

The Chiefs have won the Super Bowl the last 2 seasons and they don’t “air it out”. They have had a suffocating defense, a physical run game, creative offense, a generational talent at QB that can play like shit for 1/2 a game but always seems to come up clutch, usually be extending a play with his legs, and the best TE to ever play the game, who is in sync with his QB probably like no other combination the game has ever seen.

Baltimore, who has been a contending team in the AFC the last few years runs the ball more than any team in the league.

San Francisco and the Eagles who have been the best teams in the NFC the last two years are also both very physical running teams as well. To me the Steelers are trying to build their team in this mold, unfortunately they don’t have the QB yet, I don’t expect much out of Wilson or Fields, but maybe they get lucky and Fields turns into something, who knows.

I’m not sure what NFL games guys around here are watching, but to be highly successful in the NFL you better be able to pound the rock when you want to, imo this is what has kept Buffalo from getting past KC all these years, they are more of a finesse team on offense with the exception of their QB, they can’t hand the ball off and control the line of scrimmage like the Chiefs, 49ers, Eagles and Ravens can.

TimmayLake

Post by TimmayLake » Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:46 pm

The problem is this type of offense ideally wins games 17-13. It’s designed to be low scoring, high TOP. As others have pointed out if your opponent gets out to a 14-0 lead you’re pretty much SOL.

Executed perfectly this gets you to 10-7 or 9-8 each season and one or two playoff games before exiting.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic