Pens vs Flames (11/29/21)

Here's the place for all matters puck. Be kind to your fellow posters, please.
Pabst

Pens vs Flames (11/29/21)

Post by Pabst » Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:58 pm

I haven't slept more than 2 consecutive hours since Friday.

Pens begin their Western Canada road trip tonight.

The Flames are really good. So is Tristan Jarry. Need to see more goals from the Pens.

Pabst

Post by Pabst » Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:31 pm

Oh hey! Would you look at that.....

Malkin back at practice today :D

bradshaw2ben
Site Admin

Post by bradshaw2ben » Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:51 pm

Pabst wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:31 pm
Oh hey! Would you look at that.....

Malkin back at practice today :D
Woot.

Let’s hope the Pens’ dominance of Canada continues.
1 20 Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia
2 51 TRADE: Brandon Aiyuk, WR
3 84 Hunter Nourzad, C, Penn State
3× 98 Jarvis Brownlee, Jr., CB, Florida State
4 128 Qwan'tez Stiggers, DB, Toronto Argonauts

fractalsteel

Post by fractalsteel » Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:55 pm

Pabst wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:58 pm
I haven't slept more than 2 consecutive hours since Friday.

Pens begin their Western Canada road trip tonight.

The Flames are really good. So is Tristan Jarry. Need to see more goals from the Pens.
That sucks, about the sleep
Oddly, I'm usually so ramped up during a Steeler game that I have to find activities(drawing) to calm me down throughout the contest. Yesterday was different. I was so upset with the effort that I took a nap through the whole fourth quarter.
Last time I slept through any part of a Steeler game had to be back in the 80's.
Don't do drugs kids.

Man, I hate late starts.

The Pens have to start cashing in on the goals.

Pabst

Post by Pabst » Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:52 pm

Funny story - the wife and I decided to split the kids up and sleep in separate bedrooms last night.
I had Baby A, who only woke up twice and was pretty easy to get back down. I was woken up a few other times by Baby B, who was up screaming almost every hour.

My night wasn't great, but could've been worse :D

fractalsteel

Post by fractalsteel » Tue Nov 30, 2021 4:22 am

PP goal.
1-1

gpclay

Post by gpclay » Tue Nov 30, 2021 12:33 pm

Jarry played great and the team did enough in front of him to get the point. Don’t follow the pacific teams as much so not sure how well they are doing but was very impressed with Calgary. Physical and fast and seems talented with a ginormous goalie who was pretty lights out including the shootout. As they noted in the post-game, this seemed like a game that could have been 4-1 Flames easily so a good point to steal on the road.

Not sure if it has been discussed here but I am really not a fan of the shootout, especially because they don’t use it in the postseason. Seems like a skill competition to me; why not just have two skaters race to see who is fastest skating through cones to determine a winner? Play the five minute OT and then call it a tie if no one scores. I don’t love the 3v3 much either (again, not used in postseason) but all that open ice is something to see.

Pabst

Post by Pabst » Tue Nov 30, 2021 2:50 pm

gpclay wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 12:33 pm
Jarry played great and the team did enough in front of him to get the point. Don’t follow the pacific teams as much so not sure how well they are doing but was very impressed with Calgary. Physical and fast and seems talented with a ginormous goalie who was pretty lights out including the shootout. As they noted in the post-game, this seemed like a game that could have been 4-1 Flames easily so a good point to steal on the road.

Not sure if it has been discussed here but I am really not a fan of the shootout, especially because they don’t use it in the postseason. Seems like a skill competition to me; why not just have two skaters race to see who is fastest skating through cones to determine a winner? Play the five minute OT and then call it a tie if no one scores. I don’t love the 3v3 much either (again, not used in postseason) but all that open ice is something to see.
Calgary has the best record in the west, and 2nd best record in the NHL. Edmonton is every bit as good.

I'll be happy with a similar outcome tomorrow, but the Pens definitely need to pick up 2 points against both Vancouver & Seattle later in this road trip.

fractalsteel

Post by fractalsteel » Tue Nov 30, 2021 4:21 pm

Man, the Flames were all up in the Pens business last night. Really solid team that plays a tight checking game. Nothing rogue with them but enough offensive talent to be dangerous. There are no easy exits and they make you have to be precise to enter the OZ. Leads to lots of TO's.

Thankful for the point.

I believe that was the first shootout for the Flames and their approach to attacking Jarry was different then the other teams have used against him prior. It looked to me like they were trying to go over his glove hand and under the crossbar. It worked twice.
Other teams have tried to get Jarry to move early and use that against him. Not the Flames, they came right at him.

I'm no fan of 3 on 3 either though it is exciting. Reminds me of pond hockey where there are no rules.
Then again, the NHL had to do something so that games didn't go 4 hours and that would just lead to more injuries.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic