Pens/NHL offseason thread

Here's the place for all matters puck. Be kind to your fellow posters, please.
Legacy User

Re: Pens/NHL offseason thread

Post by Legacy User » Wed Aug 06, 2014 3:57 am

Is anyone else concerned by Kris Letang's new haircut?

https://twitter.com/penguins/status/496724337760927744/photo/1

I predict a sharp decline in ticket sales.

Ice

Post by Ice » Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:26 am

I'm more concerned that his picture just tried to make out with me.
Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile...

Donnie Brasco

Post by Donnie Brasco » Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:52 pm

Steelforce wrote:
The other problem is when Maata comes off of LTIR, we're going to be up against it, and of we have an injury while Maata is still out we wont have many options. I think a move is forthcoming still

All signs point to Martin, which I think is a mistake. They need to find a way to move Scuderi.

Ice

Post by Ice » Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:56 pm

Definitely can move Martin for assets right now, in addition to cap relief. What crazy ass team would give anything but garbage back for the Immovable Piece at this point?

I think it's a good idea to keep Martin around till the deadline to keep an eye on the young guys. Then maybe you get something for him. Pretty certain I read somewhere that he doesn't have much interest in returning next season, and there's too many young players in the pipeline, anyway.

V DUB

Post by V DUB » Wed Aug 06, 2014 2:22 pm

The Pierogi wrote:Is anyone else concerned by Kris Letang's new haircut?

https://twitter.com/penguins/status/496724337760927744/photo/1

I predict a sharp decline in ticket sales.

Went into supercuts & asked for the Joey.

WHOA!

(How's that for a 90''s reference?)

Legacy User

Post by Legacy User » Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:27 pm

I'm hoping that an injury free Scuderi can have a good start to the season, and when Maata is ready to play we can trade Scuds to a team that needs a veteran dman, that might be asking too much of Scuds though

Legacy User

Post by Legacy User » Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:48 pm

I tend to think that the way Bylsma utilized Scuderi was the equivalent of mashing a square peg into a round hole. Never seemed like Dan played to strengths/weaknesses of his team and just mashed everything into his system. I'll give Scuderi the benefit of the doubt and see if he can rebound, although I certainly won't be heartbroken if he's moved and be out from under that contract. So thankful i'll never have to hear "get to our game" again.

But i'm still a believer that if Martin is truly dead set against re-upping then he should be moved while we can acquire something in return for him.

And yeah i feel like I need to instinctively back away from that Letang pic as he seems to be leaning in for some sort of sexual advance.

Donnie Brasco

Post by Donnie Brasco » Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:52 pm

CaptainFantastik wrote:But i'm still a believer that if Martin is truly dead set against re-upping then he should be moved while we can acquire something in return for him.

At the expense of a deep playoff run? I'm not some Martin fan boy but when you can make the likes of Orpik and Letang look like serviceable Dmen, you're doing something right and I think he's going to be hard to replace
Remember that Letang didn't start to "settle down" in the playoffs until paired with Martin

Legacy User

Post by Legacy User » Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:05 pm

That could definitely be one of those instances where you keep a guy and swallow losing him for nothing. Will be interesting seeing what defensive combos MJ utilizes this year and how they pan out. But I still feel like JR might be eying a top 6 forward come deadline, and if that's the case who knows which guy(s) might be on the block.

Ice

Post by Ice » Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:14 pm

Always nice to be able to sign somebody for cash and get something back in trade on the back end, but since all we ever gave up for Martin was cash, I'm okay with keeping him for the playoff run, particularly if either a) the young guys (and Scuderi, of course; never too early to name my whipping boy) are struggling or b) the team is really killing it and looking like real Cup contender, with solid performance on tape against top tier teams. If we're somewhere in between, I could easily see him moving on.

And Bylsma didn't believe in square pegs. Or round holes. Or anything that couldn't get em to their game.

Legacy User

Post by Legacy User » Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:22 pm

I wonder if Disco has any new broadcasting "isms" yet? I wonder when he addresses his panel before hitting the air he'll say things like "let's get to our prose boys".

Legacy User

Post by Legacy User » Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:27 am

If he goes to ESPN, he could give the starting line up, putting NY Ranger fan / ESPN anchorette Linda Cohn in the cage.

Legacy User

Post by Legacy User » Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:24 pm

Deadest offseason in awhile for the B's. I think having to wait until Game 1 to get our money is stupid.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic