Pens vs Rangers (1/24/21)

Here's the place for all matters puck. Be kind to your fellow posters, please.
Pabst

Pens vs Rangers (1/24/21)

Post by Pabst » Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:46 pm

Getting the thread going, but I probably won't be watching too closely.

fractalsteel

Post by fractalsteel » Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:08 am

Listening to this one

10-18
15-22
14-26
16-19
16-22

fractalsteel

Post by fractalsteel » Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:42 am

Shitty effort by Malkin on the Rangers go ahead goal.
Another late goal at the end of the period.

I'm not impressed with Zucker one bit.

Jobu

Post by Jobu » Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:31 am

Jake...from State Farm!
“Ah, who cares about Seattle’s Space Needle? Dumb looking building, you can see the whole stupid town, built by some jagoff! Pittsburgh got Mt. Warshington, gorgeous hillside, beautiful views of the whole city, built by God…we win!” - Pittsburgh Dad

fractalsteel

Post by fractalsteel » Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:31 am

Guentzel !

Pabst

Post by Pabst » Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:37 am

A regulation win?!?!?!?!? Woohoo!

Ice

Post by Ice » Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:05 pm

I'll agree with not being impressed on Zucker. Malkin's play is dragging down that line, though, to a painful to watch extent.
Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile...

fractalsteel

Post by fractalsteel » Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:39 pm

Ice wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:05 pm
I'll agree with not being impressed on Zucker. Malkin's play is dragging down that line, though, to a painful to watch extent.
Have to disagree a great deal. While Malkin is not shooting enough he has improved nearly every game. Zucker has killed that line since the season started and that is why he got demoted to the third line the past two games.
Malkin could easily have 4-5 assists now, it is just a matter of time. With Rust getting hot it seems, Malkins offensive #'s will improve.
He has been solid in the 200 foot game and is winning 53% of his FO's. Oh yeah, he hasn't taken a penalty this season and hasn't come close.

He was the best player on the ice period 2&3 in the first Rangers game.

I mentioned him last night because you could see his frustration on the Rangers second goal. He was late coming back while Zucker was picking his nose around the net.

I don't know why Sullivan won't go with has worked time and time again: 17-71-59

alancac98

Post by alancac98 » Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:57 pm

fractalsteel wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:39 pm
Ice wrote:
Have to disagree a great deal. While Malkin is not shooting enough he has improved nearly every game. Zucker has killed that line since the season started and that is why he got demoted to the third line the past two games.
Malkin could easily have 4-5 assists now, it is just a matter of time. With Rust getting hot it seems, Malkins offensive #'s will improve.
He has been solid in the 200 foot game and is winning 53% of his FO's. Oh yeah, he hasn't taken a penalty this season and hasn't come close.

I mentioned him last night because you could see his frustration on the Rangers second goal. He was late coming back while Zucker was picking his nose around the net.

I don't know why Sullivan won't go with has worked time and time again: 17-71-59
I would love to see 17-71-59 and move Zucker up to Crosby's line with Kap. At this point of the season, you have to try and find solid lines. It's not going to help us further down the road if we only have 1 line that scores and a 3rd line that chips in a goal here and there. We need 3 solid lines so whatever moves need to made, you need to be at least experimenting with them to find the right combos!

Ice

Post by Ice » Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:47 pm

Wasn't Rust on Crosby's line for most of the game last night?

I'm honestly wondering if Evgeni is working through some sort of injury. He sat a while last night.

bradshaw2ben
Site Admin

Post by bradshaw2ben » Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:05 pm

fractalsteel wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:39 pm
Ice wrote:

You and me! Welcome to my Ted Talk!
1 20 Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia
2 51 TRADE: Brandon Aiyuk, WR
3 84 Hunter Nourzad, C, Penn State
3× 98 Jarvis Brownlee, Jr., CB, Florida State
4 128 Qwan'tez Stiggers, DB, Toronto Argonauts

fractalsteel

Post by fractalsteel » Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:00 am

Ice wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:47 pm
Wasn't Rust on Crosby's line for most of the game last night?

I'm honestly wondering if Evgeni is working through some sort of injury. He sat a while last night.
A good bit including the nice bouncing feed that Rust finished with.
Looking at the TOi, it would seem that the third line was getting more minutes than the second line. I know that Sullivan tried several different combinations on the second line except for Guentzel.

Is Malkin injured? Who knows but he has shown burst in every game so maybe its upper body which might explain why he is reluctant to shoot more. I think it might be that and I believe it is frustration as well.
He had two killer setups last night and neither player got a shot on net.

I'm more of an eye test guy but I went and looked at some numbers for the second line and they are giving up way too many SOG. You probably can blame that on lack ofOZ possession time which they haven't been good at.
The problem there IMO is chemistry. Zucker has none with 71 or 17 even though 17 and 71 have done some really great things the past few seasons.

Rodrigues is out long/long term-4-8 weeks

Ice

Post by Ice » Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:00 pm

As far as the SOG go, I still feel like I'm seeing too many instances of no Dman staying home near the goalie, with both moving out of sync to go chase pucks, and no forward pulling down to cover. It wasn't as bad against the Rags as it was against the Cryers and Craps, so hopefully it's getting ironed out on the fly, but it's an issue that's been generating too many open SOG.

Who gets taxi'd up for Rodrigues is the next question. He hadn't been too bad, honestly.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic