Pens vs Bruins (4/25/21)

Here's the place for all matters puck. Be kind to your fellow posters, please.
Pabst

Pens vs Bruins (4/25/21)

Post by Pabst » Sun Apr 25, 2021 3:57 pm

Quick turnaround for this afternoon's game.

Two things working against the Pens today: They have not done well in the 2nd game of back-to-backs (3-3-1), and they are 2-3-1 against Boston this season.

Go Pens!

fractalsteel

Post by fractalsteel » Sun Apr 25, 2021 6:05 pm

Thankfully we got 3 regulation wins against Jersey.

Dumo and birthday boy each played more than 26 minutes yesterday.

Get a point today and I'm happy.

stillthere

Post by stillthere » Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:37 pm

Penguins keep knocking at the door early in the 2nd. Just need one to slip by.

Pabst

Post by Pabst » Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:58 pm

This feels like it will be a 1-0 game.

Orangesteel

Post by Orangesteel » Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:01 pm

This is a good game. Been very happy with the Pens hustle and backchecking.

Why do they call it the “Perfection Line”? Why not the “Douchiest Line in Hockey”?
“Thoughts are a waste of time for me.” - Michael Pettaway Tomlin

Pabst

Post by Pabst » Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:19 pm

What a snipe, Mr Guentzel.

stillthere

Post by stillthere » Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:21 pm

Finally. Hell of a play by the boys.

Pabst

Post by Pabst » Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:50 pm

And with 90 seconds left Guentzel draws the penalty in Boston's end.

End this.

Pabst

Post by Pabst » Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:51 pm

Pabst wrote:
Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:58 pm
Nailed it!

Orangesteel

Post by Orangesteel » Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:51 pm

Pabst wrote:
Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:51 pm
Pabst wrote:
Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:58 pm
Nailed it!
Nailed it for sure!

fractalsteel

Post by fractalsteel » Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:57 pm

Impressive
As good a win as they have had so far

Pens were on the puck for 60 minutes

The Carter trade- three times today he cleaned up behind Jarry, skated the puck out of the DZ, gained the red line and got the puck deep
Big/little things you need in a one goal game

Orangesteel

Post by Orangesteel » Mon Apr 26, 2021 12:35 am

I’ve always liked Carter. He’s big. He’s old school. Long strides, plays hard. Has a nose for the net. And he’s tough. Great to have on a playoff run. Dude has been there before.

DP39

Post by DP39 » Mon Apr 26, 2021 12:37 pm

Great win yesterday. One of their most impressive in quite a while. Carter and Kap paid the kind of dividends I imaged the FO hoped they would when they signed them.

Get Turbo and Malkin back in the mix and watch out.

It will be interesting to see if the Bruins go back to their old dirty style tricks against us on Tuesday. With our addition of bigger AND faster players they may be hesitant to; let's hope so.

Also, I'll admit I've been somewhat sour on Zucker this second half of the season, but I like the way he's playing with Carter now -- he seems less lost. He's had a nice run of games this past week, and I kinda hope they don't mess with that line when Malkin and Tanev get back.

Again, nice 60 minute win boys! Now, turn it up one more notch on Tuesday.

Ice

Post by Ice » Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:12 pm

That had a bit of a playoff feel to it. The trade for Carter is really looking pretty smooth from Hextall. Didn't cost much, and if this is what we're getting, I wouldn't mind him sticking around a little while to man the elusive 3C spot. I also wholeheartedly agree that we're going to have to be careful with the chemistry set as some of our guys come back from injury. All in all, I'm pleased. There were points this season when I didn't think I'd be this hopeful in late April, but I'm pleasantly surprised, for sure.

Keep it up!!!
Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile...

Pabst

Post by Pabst » Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:53 pm

Ice wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:12 pm
That had a bit of a playoff feel to it. The trade for Carter is really looking pretty smooth from Hextall. Didn't cost much, and if this is what we're getting, I wouldn't mind him sticking around a little while to man the elusive 3C spot. I also wholeheartedly agree that we're going to have to be careful with the chemistry set as some of our guys come back from injury. All in all, I'm pleased. There were points this season when I didn't think I'd be this hopeful in late April, but I'm pleasantly surprised, for sure.

Keep it up!!!
I like to think of it this way; Malkin & Tanev will effectively be replacing Sceviour and Jankowski. The 4th line has done nothing all year, so once Malkin gets healthy, it's extremely unlikely they are worse than what the Pens are rolling with now.

Compare last year's lines to the expected lines this year: The Pens have upgraded the top line plus are now trotting out a solid 3rd line. Among the forward group, the only real concern is whether Malkin & Kapanen can maintain the chemistry they showed together, and if ERod can hang with those 2. On defense, Matheson/Ceci has been a MASSIVE upgrade over JJ/Schultz.

Guentzel - Crosby - Sheary
Zucker - Malkin - Rust
Marleau - McCann - Hornqvist
ZAR - Blueger - Tanev

Dumo - Letang
Pettersson - Marino
Johnson - Schultz

-------------------------------------------------------------

Guentzel - Crosby - Rust
Rodrigues- Malkin - Kapanen
McCann - Carter - Zucker
ZAR - Blueger - Tanev

Dumo - Letang
Matheson - Ceci
Pettersson - Marino

Ice

Post by Ice » Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:35 pm

Oh, definitely deeper and more talented up and down the lineup. I'll still say (even in the wake of a really great Sunday performance) that I'm maybe a little worried about experience in net, but when you put it on paper like that, well, it's a lot better than what we were rolling with last year.

The number of things, by the way, that would be an improvement over JJ/Schultz as a bottom pair... well, it's a lot of things. Like, a lot of things. Not all of them breathing or animate, either.

The little tweaks with this team (Ceci, I almost don't want to mention him for fear of jinxing) have worked well, and like you said, hopefully Geno and Kappy can continue to produce once they're back together; Carter has worked... just goes to show you don't necessarily need blockbusters all the time to be in the mix.

DP39

Post by DP39 » Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:41 pm

Pabst wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:53 pm
Ice wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:12 pm

Keep it up!!!
I like to think of it this way; Malkin & Tanev will effectively be replacing Sceviour and Jankowski. The 4th line has done nothing all year, so once Malkin gets healthy, it's extremely unlikely they are worse than what the Pens are rolling with now.

Compare last year's lines to the expected lines this year: The Pens have upgraded the top line plus are now trotting out a solid 3rd line. Among the forward group, the only real concern is whether Malkin & Kapanen can maintain the chemistry they showed together, and if ERod can hang with those 2. On defense, Matheson/Ceci has been a MASSIVE upgrade over JJ/Schultz.

Guentzel - Crosby - Sheary
Zucker - Malkin - Rust
Marleau - McCann - Hornqvist
ZAR - Blueger - Tanev

Dumo - Letang
Pettersson - Marino
Johnson - Schultz

-------------------------------------------------------------

Guentzel - Crosby - Rust
McCann - Carter - Zucker
ZAR - Blueger - Tanev

Dumo - Letang
Matheson - Ceci
Pettersson - Marino
All great points, Pabst. Everyone on those top two lines has shown they can score at will against just about anyone -- with E-Rod being the weakest link, but having a very nice second have to his season. The new and improved third line has a huge boost with Carter and how he's upped the play of Zucker and McCann. The fourth line is still the best/most dangerous line in hockey.

Though, I agree, the biggest difference on this team's success has been the D line of Matheson & Ceci; it's night and day from last year.

These next three games are the most important of the reminder of the regular season. Win them and we put ourselves in a great position to win the division.

fractalsteel

Post by fractalsteel » Mon Apr 26, 2021 5:06 pm

You an always swap Rodrigues and McCann. In game, to mix things up, and for matchups.

Even with better talent and stronger line flexibility is important.
I could even see Carter with 71 and 42 from time to time.

Matchups and flexibility

stillthere

Post by stillthere » Mon Apr 26, 2021 5:45 pm

fractalsteel wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 5:06 pm
You an always swap Rodrigues and McCann. In game, to mix things up, and for matchups.

Matchups and flexibility
Makes home ice in the playoffs all the more important with last change.

bradshaw2ben
Site Admin

Post by bradshaw2ben » Mon Apr 26, 2021 6:04 pm

Guentzel - Crosby - Rust
McCann - Carter - Zucker
ZAR - Blueger - Tanev
I’ve been thinking... I’m not sure I could name a time when the Pens ever rolled 4 better lines from top to bottom. Let us pray they get healthy enough to make this happen!
1 20 Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia
2 51 TRADE: Brandon Aiyuk, WR
3 84 Hunter Nourzad, C, Penn State
3× 98 Jarvis Brownlee, Jr., CB, Florida State
4 128 Qwan'tez Stiggers, DB, Toronto Argonauts

Ice

Post by Ice » Mon Apr 26, 2021 6:19 pm

And no massive boat anchors on defense, to boot. It's a solid roster, definitely, but as a Pens fan, I live waiting for the next injury shoe to fall, sadly. We very rarely get to have all of our nice things.

Pabst

Post by Pabst » Mon Apr 26, 2021 6:24 pm

The Pens' performance in their last 2 playoff appearances has me nervous, but dang, this is the most complete team in the East.

The Islanders can't score. The Bruins lack depth. Washington has big ?'s on D and in net. The Rangers scare me, but I don't see them making the dance.

stillthere

Post by stillthere » Mon Apr 26, 2021 6:52 pm

Pabst wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 6:24 pm
The Pens' performance in their last 2 playoff appearances has me nervous, but dang, this is the most complete team in the East.

The Islanders can't score. The Bruins lack depth. Washington has big ?'s on D and in net. The Rangers scare me, but I don't see them making the dance.
The thing that scares me the most is Jarry constantly leaving the blue paint to go chase a random puck that is completely unneeded and then the other team makes him pay when he has trouble with the puck.

I agree the team is deep and has been fun to watch the last month or so with everyone banged up and they keep winning. Seeing Kapanen back on the ice Sunday was nice as well he had a few moments where he was popping off the screen.

fractalsteel

Post by fractalsteel » Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:17 pm

stillthere wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 5:45 pm
fractalsteel wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 5:06 pm

Matchups and flexibility
Makes home ice in the playoffs all the more important with last change.
I think this is valid but to a degree. Special moments in the game it is very important. I think home ice is important because the Pens have been special at home this year. Hopefully that carries over to the postseason.

I don't think Sully worries so much about the last change throughout the game except in the special moments. I think he is a matchup kind of coach. After a few games he sees what is working and what needs to be shaken up a bit. He was very good in making adjustments on the fly during the back to back cup run.

The last few Carter interviews(w/ NBC and ATT Pitt) were very telling.
Basically he said he was brought in because he knows that it takes to win the cup and he would be playing with a core that knew such as well. He really sounded like he thinks the Pens have as good a chance as anyone.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic