Pens vs Capitals (4/29/21)

Here's the place for all matters puck. Be kind to your fellow posters, please.
Pabst

Pens vs Capitals (4/29/21)

Post by Pabst » Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:06 pm

So yeah, this series is kind of important. Big injury news out of Washington: No Ovie. Carlson is a game time decision.

Sprong-Kuznetsov-Wilson
Mantha-Backstrom-Oshie
Sheary-Eller-Raffl
Hagelin-Dowd-Hathaway

Orlov-Schultz
Dillon-TvR
Chara-Jensen

Vanacek

Jarry starts for the Pens. Malkin and Gaudreau were both full participants this morning. Tanev practiced in a no contact jersey.

Doesn't sound like there will be any line up changes for the Pens.

Around the division: Rangers take on the Islanders. Bruins have the Sabres. The Pens can clinch a playoff berth tonight with a W and a Rangers loss in regulation. The Caps clinch with a W and a Rangers loss.

Go Pens!

fractalsteel

Post by fractalsteel » Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:32 pm

In practice Malkin replaced McCann on the first PP unit.
I really thought they might roll with the unit they have since Malkin's absence, bump 71 to the second unit with Carter, Kap and Zucker along with Marino.
Sully's stubbornness.
McCann has been a revelation on the PP.

Ice

Post by Ice » Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:59 pm

I always forget how many former Pens are on the Craps.
Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile...

Pabst

Post by Pabst » Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:05 pm

fractalsteel wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:32 pm
I really thought they might roll with the unit they have since Malkin's absence, bump 71 to the second unit with Carter, Kap and Zucker along with Marino.
Sully's stubbornness.
Honest question - does Geno accept a demotion to the 2nd unit? Part of Sully's job is keeping his star players happy.

fractalsteel

Post by fractalsteel » Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:24 pm

Pabst wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:05 pm
fractalsteel wrote:
Sully's stubbornness.
Honest question - does Geno accept a demotion to the 2nd unit? Part of Sully's job is keeping his star players happy.
If he gets his minutes there, maybe . Also, he would be playing with a nice cast. Now if that cast were Rodrigues, Blueger, ZAR or some other bottom six maybe not.

Sully has broken Crosby and Malkin up on the PP but memories tells me it was only a few times when the PP was shit.

To me, Malkin is a total team player, one reason why he is so popular with his teammates. If he is negative it is almost always about his play. I can only remember one player he publicly called out and that was Orpik who called out Malkin's effort but didn't use his name.

Funny thing, when Therrien got the boot Malkin was the only player to stand up and say he liked playing for him. The rest of the team hated MT.

Any way it goes, there is enough firepower to fill two units. I'm just thinking more balance.

fractalsteel

Post by fractalsteel » Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:55 pm

No Malkin
Gadreau is in but don't know where they will play him

fractalsteel

Post by fractalsteel » Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:42 pm

Sweet goal by Kap.
Bad TO by the Caps.
Love it when Oshie is on the ice when the opposition scores.

SteelPro

Post by SteelPro » Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:46 pm

fractalsteel wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:42 pm
Sweet goal by Kap.
Bad TO by the Caps.
Kap deserved an assist and a goal on that one.
People who quote themselves look like dogs who lick their balls

- Deebo referring to SteelerDayTrader

fractalsteel

Post by fractalsteel » Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:59 pm

SteelPro wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:46 pm
fractalsteel wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:42 pm
Sweet goal by Kap.
Bad TO by the Caps.
Kap deserved an assist and a goal on that one.
Yeah, he did it all on that one. He almost duplicated it a few shifts later and just missed high.

OK
1-1
But there was no doubt that the Caps were the better team most of that period.
The Pens came out turning the puck over especially by the D men in their own end. The were in on the forecheck early and often and the Pens just bungled the puck. Thankfully Jarry was up to it.

The Pens seemed slow as well and the Caps were beating them all over the ice which should never happen.
The bottom six was very absent in the period.

Of course the injury bug struck. Rodrigues had to be helped off the ice taking a puck to the foot. If he isn't hurt it will be a miracle.

fractalsteel

Post by fractalsteel » Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:24 am

Welcome back Gaudreau!
Zucker got that through some how

And seconds later the Caps knot it up

fractalsteel

Post by fractalsteel » Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:49 am

ZAR takes advantage of another Caps TO.
Sceviour with the nice setup
3-3

fractalsteel

Post by fractalsteel » Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:33 am

Kap is unreal
I'm stunned by his talent

fractalsteel

Post by fractalsteel » Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:59 am

Kake with the winner

Pabst

Post by Pabst » Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:20 am

Turned it on just in time for the Wilson goal.

Pens clinch a playoff spot for the 15th year in a row.

Louis Lipps Service

Post by Louis Lipps Service » Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:13 am

fractalsteel wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:24 pm

To me, Malkin is a total team player, one reason why he is so popular with his teammates. If he is negative it is almost always about his play. I can only remember one player he publicly called out and that was Orpik who called out Malkin's effort but didn't use his name.
Not sure I fully agree with this. And I’ll start with the disclaimer that I always seem to need when criticizing Malkin…I really am a big fan of his.

But I do think he’s prone to sulking if he doesn’t agree with decisions being made. I think those emotions come from a good place, because he thinks he’s a key player (he is) and sometimes thinks that if his talent isn’t being maximized in the way he envisions it, it hurts the team.

But I do think there’s times when if he isnt happy with his linemates, he doesn’t play his best hockey. Some of that is sulking, and some of that is him not trusting those linemates and trying to do too much on his own and not playing smart team hockey. Either way, it negatively affects the team, overall.

I don’t remember the circumstances around the Orpik quote, but I suspect it was a result of one of those scenarios.

And I’d also add the anecdote that came out last year (or maybe the year before) about the film session when Sully asked why Geno wasn’t supporting the D man coming out of the zone and is response was (paraphrased) “hes an NHL defensemen, he should be able to bring it out himself”.

DP39

Post by DP39 » Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:29 pm

Louis Lipps Service wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:13 am
fractalsteel wrote:

Not sure I fully agree with this. And I’ll start with the disclaimer that I always seem to need when criticizing Malkin…I really am a big fan of his.

But I do think he’s prone to sulking if he doesn’t agree with decisions being made. I think those emotions come from a good place, because he thinks he’s a key player (he is) and sometimes thinks that if his talent isn’t being maximized in the way he envisions it, it hurts the team.

But I do think there’s times when if he isnt happy with his linemates, he doesn’t play his best hockey. Some of that is sulking, and some of that is him not trusting those linemates and trying to do too much on his own and not playing smart team hockey. Either way, it negatively affects the team, overall.

I don’t remember the circumstances around the Orpik quote, but I suspect it was a result of one of those scenarios.

And I’d also add the anecdote that came out last year (or maybe the year before) about the film session when Sully asked why Geno wasn’t supporting the D man coming out of the zone and is response was (paraphrased) “hes an NHL defensemen, he should be able to bring it out himself”.
This kinda sums up my take on Geno as well, LLS.

As for the win last night. I'm glad to get the 2 points, but I'm pissed they gave the Caps 1 point. It should've never come to that, imo. They played turtle hockey the last two minute or so. If they would've been more aggressive I think that could've gotten an empty netter to seal the win 5-3 in regulation. I hope that Caps 1 point doesn't come back to haunt them come playoff seed time.

Now, take it to them on Saturday and win decisively!

I hope E-Rod is okay and it's just short-term, but it didn't look pretty. Fingers crossed, though.

fractalsteel

Post by fractalsteel » Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:33 pm

fractalsteel wrote:

Why is it that you feel you need to make such a disclaimer? From my point of view over the years you have been one of Malkin's biggest critics on this board and rarely offer praise. That is your prerogative yet I find it interesting that you have been absent on this board for a good while yet you chose to chime in here.
Please give examples of his sulking via decisions made by the coaching staff or management.
This is a fair comment yet he has been successful with almost all of his winger and they have as well. The list is long and I can provide it if you want.
Funny, after Orpik made his comments the Pens didn't offer him a new contract and he moved on.
It is known that at his end with the Penguins Kessel was a team cancer. Malkin stood up to him and made the Pens trade him. Does that make him a malcontent or does it say something about his willingness to stand up for his teammates? I think Malkin knew that Kessel needed to go and that a team leader needed to step up. Leadership.

In a 15 year career that is the best you can come up with? The quote was attributed to Ruhwedel . It was put forth by a reporter and we don't the accuracy of it or the context.
Maybe it was a joke that backfired.
It isn't like Malkin has a history of criticizing anyone else besides himself when being honest.
Malkin is an enigma. His play can go from hot as hell to cold as ice in a flash of time. Aside from the injuries that seem to be happening more frequently his inconsistency in play is his biggest weakness.
I admit that I'm biased towards him and he is my favorite player but he gets the brunt of criticism when the Pens are not going well even if he isn't at fault. That goes beyond this board.
His teammates love him. He is a team jokester and go watch all those off ice competitions with Crosby: Zamboni races, shooting pucks into the net from the upper deck, etc.

When the team fizzled in 2019 and rumors were that the Pens might shop Kessel or Malkin Crosby stood up and told ownership and management not to trade Malkin. That says enough for me.

fractalsteel

Post by fractalsteel » Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:48 pm

DP39 wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:29 pm

As for the win last night. I'm glad to get the 2 points, but I'm pissed they gave the Caps 1 point. It should've never come to that, imo. They played turtle hockey the last two minute or so. If they would've been more aggressive I think that could've gotten an empty netter to seal the win 5-3 in regulation. I hope that Caps 1 point doesn't come back to haunt them come playoff seed time.

I hope E-Rod is okay and it's just short-term, but it didn't look pretty. Fingers crossed, though.
Did you watch the first period?
Might have been the worst period the Pens played in a long time. They were lucky to get out of that period tied. If Jarry hadn't been spectacular they could have been down a few goals.
Yeah, the let down at the end was troubling. Reminded me of the Flyer game back in early March when the Pens went up early 3-0 and then went into the defensive shell and ended up losing in OT.
This time they got the extra point.
Any time you can come out of Washington with 2 points is a good outcome to me.

bradshaw2ben
Site Admin

Post by bradshaw2ben » Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:54 pm

Pabst wrote:
fractalsteel wrote:
Sully's stubbornness.
Geno and McCann aren’t really playing the same role on PP. I would move Rust down. He seems to be the one who could be swapped out and work on second unit.
1 20 Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia
2 51 TRADE: Brandon Aiyuk, WR
3 84 Hunter Nourzad, C, Penn State
3× 98 Jarvis Brownlee, Jr., CB, Florida State
4 128 Qwan'tez Stiggers, DB, Toronto Argonauts

bradshaw2ben
Site Admin

Post by bradshaw2ben » Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:55 pm

fractalsteel wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:33 am
Kap is unreal
I'm stunned by his talent
Toronto was happy to see him go!

bradshaw2ben
Site Admin

Post by bradshaw2ben » Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:57 pm

fractalsteel wrote:

Swap out Ben for these two posts and it plays exactly the same. Total team player, generally more upset with his own poor play than others, gets down when can’t trust his teammates, tries to do too much to make up for it, etc.

DP39

Post by DP39 » Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:03 pm

fractalsteel wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:48 pm
DP39 wrote:

Might have been the worst period the Pens played in a long time. They were lucky to get out of that period tied. If Jarry hadn't been spectacular they could have been down a few goals.
Yeah, the let down at the end was troubling. Reminded me of the Flyer game back in early March when the Pens went up early 3-0 and then went into the defensive shell and ended up losing in OT.
Yes, I watched the 1st period. I watched the complete game; as I always do. I agree with your assessment of that period. My bitch was about the last two minutes of regulation. As stated, I was happy with the 2 points. At that point we had a golden opportunity to finish them off in regulation, but we didn't.

I agree with you on Kap. He's crazy fast, elusive and a deadly sniper of a shot. Can't wait til he's back with Geno, too.

fractalsteel

Post by fractalsteel » Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:18 pm

DP39 wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:03 pm
fractalsteel wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:48 pm
DP39 wrote:

Yes, I watched the 1st period. I watched the complete game; as I always do. I agree with your assessment of that period. My bitch was about the last two minutes of regulation. As stated, I was happy with the 2 points. At that point we had a golden opportunity to finish them off in regulation, but we didn't.

I agree with you on Kap. He's crazy fast, elusive and a deadly sniper of a shot. Can't wait til he's back with Geno, too.
I didn't mean to be so snappy.
I know your fandom when it comes to the Birdies.

I'm just happy with the 2 points.

I think there is a problem with the coaching when it comes to protecting leads. I think the sacrifice aggressiveness for a defensive posture and it did come back to haunt them and has in the past.

fractalsteel

Post by fractalsteel » Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:21 pm

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:57 pm
fractalsteel wrote:

Swap out Ben for these two posts and it plays exactly the same. Total team player, generally more upset with his own poor play than others, gets down when can’t trust his teammates, tries to do too much to make up for it, etc.
Yeah, one sulks the other comes off as disinterested, a fan perspective that was born early, labeled to each and is undeserved.
Wait until both are gone.

fractalsteel

Post by fractalsteel » Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:22 pm

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:54 pm
Pabst wrote:
fractalsteel wrote:
Sully's stubbornness.
Geno and McCann aren’t really playing the same role on PP. I would move Rust down. He seems to be the one who could be swapped out and work on second unit.
True about roles and McCann is more of a motion player on the PP. Yet, both have huge slap shots on the one time and to spread that out over both units makes sense to me. Really, there is no other player on either unit that can bring the heat like either of them.

Jobu

Post by Jobu » Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:23 pm

fractalsteel wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:21 pm
bradshaw2ben wrote:

Yeah, one sulks the other comes off as disinterested, a fan perspective that was born early, labeled to each and is undeserved.
Is Geno a good tipper? :lol:
“Ah, who cares about Seattle’s Space Needle? Dumb looking building, you can see the whole stupid town, built by some jag off! Pittsburgh got Mt. Warshington, gorgeous hillside, beautiful views of the whole city, built by God…we win!” - Pittsburgh Dad

bradshaw2ben
Site Admin

Post by bradshaw2ben » Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:10 pm

fractalsteel wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:21 pm
bradshaw2ben wrote:

Yeah—those are the guys I’m THRILLED to have on my team because they care like it’s life and death and they are LEADERS.

fractalsteel

Post by fractalsteel » Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:26 pm

Pabst wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:20 am

Pens clinch a playoff spot for the 15th year in a row.
I've been reflecting upon this today.
What an accomplishment and it says a lot about the organization.
Two generational talents along with a lot of other great players.

I remember when Fleury made his NHL debut. The Pens were up and down but he gave us a glimpse of hope.
Then we landed Malkin who was a world talent but you couldn't be sure he was the real deal.
Crosby(and Letang later) was the catalyst for the change that we have all experienced over these 15 years.
Those pre Crosby/Malkin Pens teams were terrible.

Has there been a better hockey franchise the past 15 years?

Pabst

Post by Pabst » Sat May 01, 2021 2:39 am

fractalsteel wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:26 pm
I've been reflecting upon this today.
What an accomplishment and it says a lot about the organization.
Two generational talents along with a lot of other great players.

I remember when Fleury made his NHL debut. The Pens were up and down but he gave us a glimpse of hope.
Then we landed Malkin who was a world talent but you couldn't be sure he was the real deal.
Crosby(and Letang later) was the catalyst for the change that we have all experienced over these 15 years.
Those pre Crosby/Malkin Pens teams were terrible.

Has there been a better hockey franchise the past 15 years?
Getting Flower, Malkin, Crosby/Letang, and Staal in 4 straight drafts......that's an incredible stretch.

As far as a better franchise? No. Only Chicago would be in the conversation, but they only had 6 years where they were contenders. Granted they were incredible for that stretch.....but they haven't had near the sustained success that Pittsburgh has.

Ice

Post by Ice » Mon May 03, 2021 3:49 pm

Are you hating on The Great Dick Tarnstrom, Pabst?
Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile...

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic