Pens vs Flyers (5/3/21) Geno Returns

Here's the place for all matters puck. Be kind to your fellow posters, please.
Pabst

Pens vs Flyers (5/3/21) Geno Returns

Post by Pabst » Mon May 03, 2021 7:11 pm

It's official - Malkin returns to the lineup tonight. Tanev has been cleared for full contact, but will not play.
Mike Matheson is week-to-week after taking a Jarry clearing attempt off the face and will not play. E Rod is out as well.
DeSmith starts in net tonight for the front half of a back-to-back. I haven't seen what the lines will look like.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Philly is 5-8-3 since April 1st. In their past 20 games, they have won exactly THREE in regulation. They are coming off three straight losses to New Jersey.
Other than Proverov, Philly’s blue line sucks. They have gotten nothing from their goalies this season. By extension, the PK is terrible. The second line of Farabee-Hayes-Konecny has been ice cold over the last month. Nolan Patrick has regressed.

I mentioned this a few times - during their hot start, the Flyers were shooting at an unsustainable percentage. Once that cooled off, they fell apart. I, for one, feel no sympathy.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In other good news, we can officially start talking about potential playoff matchups. The Pens, Caps, and Islanders have all clinched playoff spots. Boston will clinch tonight if they get a point or with a Rangers loss. Here's a look at the division for this week:

Washington – they take on the Rangers tonight. The Caps are 2-4 this season against the Rags and have been outscored 21-13. Comfortably their worst record against any opponent. Still no word on whether Ovechkin or Carlson play tonight. The Caps have 2 games @ NYR, then 2 vs Philly, and finally one vs Boston.

New York – They get two games @ Buffalo, then 2 vs NJ, before 1 @ Boston. The Isles have the easiest remaining schedule out of the contenders.

Boston – The are away at NJ for a back-to-back to start the week. Boston is somehow 2-3-1 against NJ this season. Granted that came prior to the trade deadline, but it’s still an odd stat. They’re at home for 2 vs NYR, then they have a back to back with NYI and @ WSH. The Bruins will have had 7 games in 11 days to start the month of May.

I write all of that to say this: When it comes to playoff seeding, the Pens can’t expect much help from the rest of the division. They need to win at least 3 of their last 4 if they want first in the division. The good news is that their last four are against team who will be golfing this summer. Make it happen, boys.

I’ll go ahead and put myself out there. When it comes to potential first round opponents, give me New York. Yes, I remember the first round sweep from 2019, but….The Isles have the 2nd worst road record in the east this season (worst than New Jersey or Philly). On the flip side, they have the best home record but guess what? The Pens have beaten them twice in NY. This may be the kiss of death, but I just don’t think NY has the fire power to keep up with the Pens over a 7 game series. Plus, i want to see Washington and Boston kick the crap out of each other in a Round 1 matchup.
I’ll also admit that I want no part of Boston in round 1. Washington only worries me because that would be such a physical battle.

SteelPro

Post by SteelPro » Mon May 03, 2021 7:26 pm

I think the playoff seeding is meaningless. The only real benefit is home ice which for the Pens this year has been kind of a big deal.
People who quote themselves look like dogs who lick their balls

- Deebo referring to SteelerDayTrader

BethlehemSteel

Post by BethlehemSteel » Mon May 03, 2021 8:04 pm

what i'll be doing!!
"If our team doesn't face enough adversity early on in a season, I create it. Nothing builds a team like adversity." ~ Mike Tomlin

DP39

Post by DP39 » Mon May 03, 2021 8:28 pm

Looks like their putting Geno back with Zucker for now. Wonder if that changes when E-Rod returns?

Good problems to have, for sure.

I hope Matheson returns sooner rather than later; he's been our 3rd best D-man as of late and will be missed, imo.

Matt Vensel @mattvensel · 4h

#Pens lineup at the skate...
Guentzel-Crosby-Rust
Zucker-Malkin-Kapanen
McCann-Carter-Gaudreau
ZAR-Blueger-Sceviour

Dumoulin-Letang
Friedman-Ceci
Pettersson-Marino

fractalsteel

Post by fractalsteel » Mon May 03, 2021 8:41 pm

Malkin needs real ice time, more for his benefit I believe. I thought they might sit him because of the back to back but the Birdies are sort of in a playoff now with a push for home ice.

As far as Zucker being on the second line I bet Sully moves him and McCann back and forth over the next couple of games to see who is the better fit.
Zucker/Carter/Gaudreau isn't a shabby third line.
Matheson being week to week has me worried. Is there a broken facial bone? or is the cut so deep it needs time to mend. Who the fuck knows?

Pabst

Post by Pabst » Mon May 03, 2021 9:06 pm

fractalsteel wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 8:41 pm
Malkin needs real ice time, more for his benefit I believe. I thought they might sit him because of the back to back but the Birdies are sort of in a playoff now with a push for home ice.

As far as Zucker being on the second line I bet Sully moves him and McCann back and forth over the next couple of games to see who is the better fit.
Matheson being week to week has me worried. Is there a broken facial bone? or is the cut so deep it needs time to mend. Who the fuck knows?
With the amount of blood, my initial thought was broken nose.

Pabst

Post by Pabst » Mon May 03, 2021 9:12 pm

SteelPro wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 7:26 pm
I think the playoff seeding is meaningless. The only real benefit is home ice which for the Pens this year has been kind of a big deal.
For seeding, I agree. But I was more looking at matchups:

Pittsburgh has issues with Boston, but has dominated NYI and the Caps
Washington has issues with Pittsburgh, but have dominated NYI.
The Islanders have struggled mightily against the Pens and Caps, but have owned the Bruins.
Boston has done well vs. Pittsburgh, but struggled with NY.

bradshaw2ben
Site Admin

Post by bradshaw2ben » Mon May 03, 2021 9:18 pm

BethlehemSteel wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 8:04 pm

what i'll be doing!!
:lol:
1 20 Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia
2 51 TRADE: Brandon Aiyuk, WR
3 84 Hunter Nourzad, C, Penn State
3× 98 Jarvis Brownlee, Jr., CB, Florida State
4 128 Qwan'tez Stiggers, DB, Toronto Argonauts

fractalsteel

Post by fractalsteel » Mon May 03, 2021 9:26 pm

Pabst wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 9:06 pm
fractalsteel wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 8:41 pm

With the amount of blood, my initial thought was broken nose.
A number of years ago I was sparring with one of my advanced students(kickboxing). He double tapped my left thigh twice and normally he would try a quick shot to the ribs. Instead he brought his foot up high( I had dropped my left arm to cover my ribs) and caught me flush on the nose.
It exploded and my my sweatshirt was covered in blood.
There were a half dozen coeds stretching across the floor from us and one was so grossed out that she vomited on the spot.

Pabst

Post by Pabst » Mon May 03, 2021 11:17 pm

Terrible start, yeesh.

The last 2 shifts have been much better

SteelPro

Post by SteelPro » Mon May 03, 2021 11:37 pm

In related news Ovechkin played one shift for the Caps tonight before heading off to the locker room.
People who quote themselves look like dogs who lick their balls

- Deebo referring to SteelerDayTrader

fractalsteel

Post by fractalsteel » Mon May 03, 2021 11:39 pm

Two bad penalties and sloppy in their own end.

Pabst

Post by Pabst » Mon May 03, 2021 11:44 pm

Christ almighty the Pens are flat

Orangesteel

Post by Orangesteel » Mon May 03, 2021 11:51 pm

Terrible period. We’ve had some chances tho
“Thoughts are a waste of time for me.” - Michael Pettaway Tomlin

fractalsteel

Post by fractalsteel » Mon May 03, 2021 11:55 pm

Give the Flyers credit, they were ready to play and have been much more sharp with passing and spacing. They aren't spending much time in their own end and that has been key.

On the Pens side, WAKE the FUCK UP!
Protect the puck. Challenge the Flyers in your end and get some kind of forecheck going.

Score could be 3-2 or 5-0.

Both penalties were bad. Petterson killed a chance at a good 3 on 2 going the other way and Kap killed a chance for Malkin who seemed to have some space to work with in front of the Flyers net.

Go get the next one Pens.

Orangesteel

Post by Orangesteel » Tue May 04, 2021 12:22 am

Perhaps Geno should stay injured.

BethlehemSteel

Post by BethlehemSteel » Tue May 04, 2021 12:25 am

"If our team doesn't face enough adversity early on in a season, I create it. Nothing builds a team like adversity." ~ Mike Tomlin

fractalsteel

Post by fractalsteel » Tue May 04, 2021 12:25 am

And an incredibly bad change(2nd line) leads to 4-0.

More slop, same as the first period.

The Flyers top line is dominating the Crosby line.

fractalsteel

Post by fractalsteel » Tue May 04, 2021 12:30 am

Orangesteel wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 12:22 am
Are you blaming him for this?
While he hasn't distinguished himself so far he hasn't embarrassed himself like nearly the rest have.

Orangesteel

Post by Orangesteel » Tue May 04, 2021 12:36 am

fractalsteel wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 12:30 am
Orangesteel wrote:
While he hasn't distinguished himself so far he hasn't embarrassed himself like nearly the rest have.
I’m not, chill bro.

fractalsteel

Post by fractalsteel » Tue May 04, 2021 12:53 am

Orangesteel wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 12:36 am
fractalsteel wrote:
Orangesteel wrote:
I’m not, chill bro.
Says the poster who has a history of freaking out on this board when shit goes sideways to start a Pens game : :lol:

Sully is trying like hell to find his D pairing for the 2-3 pairings

fractalsteel

Post by fractalsteel » Tue May 04, 2021 1:19 am

Life

fractalsteel

Post by fractalsteel » Tue May 04, 2021 1:28 am

And the top line fails to defend again

Orangesteel

Post by Orangesteel » Tue May 04, 2021 1:29 am

fractalsteel wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 12:53 am
Orangesteel wrote:
fractalsteel wrote:

I’m not, chill bro.
Says the poster who has a history of freaking out on this board when shit goes sideways to start a Pens game : :lol:

Uh, ok? Are you laughing at your own comment?

fractalsteel

Post by fractalsteel » Tue May 04, 2021 1:54 am

Orangesteel wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 1:29 am
fractalsteel wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 12:53 am
Orangesteel wrote:

I’m not, chill bro.

Uh, ok? Are you laughing at your own comment?
You have a short memory--hopefully the Pens have such.

BethlehemSteel

Post by BethlehemSteel » Tue May 04, 2021 1:56 am

0325C4A7-CC3C-4ABA-A1F8-E23400E878D3.gif
0325C4A7-CC3C-4ABA-A1F8-E23400E878D3.gif (2.62 MiB) Viewed 2171 times
Yee-haw!!!!

Pabst

Post by Pabst » Tue May 04, 2021 1:14 pm

Well that sucked.

In other news, the human trash can Tom Wilson went full goon last night: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1B2Ok4zQ0ho

Any chance he's done for a few playoff games?

DP39

Post by DP39 » Tue May 04, 2021 1:29 pm

What a shit show that was by just about everyone on the Pens last night.

They obviously decided they were happy they made the playoffs and are now less concerned with taking the division. You could also see the line changes with Geno being back disturbed some of their O flow that they previously had, but the absents of Matheson was a bigger factor, imo. Even Sid and his line-mates were going through the motions most of the night, which rarely happens. With all of the injuries, maybe they just decided they all needed a break and chose to take it last night.

Just when this team was showing signs that it maybe had that much needed killer instinct, they go and try to convince me otherwise. That was just plain fugly.

fractalsteel

Post by fractalsteel » Tue May 04, 2021 1:35 pm

Pabst wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 1:14 pm
Well that sucked.

In other news, the human trash can Tom Wilson went full goon last night: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1B2Ok4zQ0ho

Wow, that is suspension worthy.
Then he 'hulks' out in the PB. What a fuckwad.

DP39

Post by DP39 » Tue May 04, 2021 1:50 pm

Pabst wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 1:14 pm
Well that sucked.

I recorded and watched much of that last night.

This is exactly why I think Wilson is such a douchebag. The play is over and he has the Rangers head pinned to the ice between his stick which is around his neck and for no reason other than his douchebaggery he takes a cheap shot to the side of the guys head -- all while trying to apply pressure and almost snap his neck. He's so brazen about it, he's even knows the ref is standing right beside him with a clear view of his uncalled for actions.

I get the history of hockey and it's toughness, but what place does the modern game have for a complete goon/dirty, cheap shot artist like Wilson? I can only assume it's somewhat tolerated because he actually possesses good hockey skills, too. If he didn't, would he still even be allowed to play? What a dick.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic