Pens vs Flyers (5/4/21)

Here's the place for all matters puck. Be kind to your fellow posters, please.
Pabst

Pens vs Flyers (5/4/21)

Post by Pabst » Tue May 04, 2021 8:27 pm

Let's forget about last night and just focus on this game, shall we?

Here's where we stand:
Washington - 52GP - 71 points
Pittsburgh - 53 GP - 71 points
Boston - 51 GP - 68 points
NY Islanders - 52 GP - 67 points

Things look a whole lot better if the Pens can win their last 3. If the Pens win out, then they would just need Boston to drop 1 point in their last 5 to guarantee home ice in Round 1.

Projected lines:

Guentzel - Crosby - Rust
Zucker - Malkin - Kapanen
McCann - Carter - Gaudreau
ZAR - Blueger - Sceviour

Dumo - Letang
Friedman - Ceci
Pettersson - Marino

Jarry

fractalsteel

Post by fractalsteel » Tue May 04, 2021 8:43 pm

Lets face it, this 2 games series is the Flyers playoffs. I don't think the Pens had that on their mind last night, more like they bought into the Flyers thinking about their backswings.

I'll be shocked if the Birdies come out sloppy, flat, fat and flacid once again.

I was going to say something prior to the game last night about Crosby. Until last night he only had an assist in his last four games and he didn't seem to have that spark to his game we have seen all season. At Pensburgh they mentioned such this morning.~Is he dinged, or is he exhausted from carrying the team for much of the season?

I thought Sully struggled trying to iron out the bottom D pairings last night and hopefully he has a better handle tonight.

Malkin played 14 minutes last night but took 23 shifts which is kind of odd.

Pabst

Post by Pabst » Tue May 04, 2021 9:24 pm

Sid had 27 points over 23 games without Malkin (and a whole host of other Forwards). His 3 game pointless streak included a pair of wins over Washington.

I'm not going to read too much into it.

BethlehemSteel

Post by BethlehemSteel » Tue May 04, 2021 9:42 pm

what i'll be doing....again.....because Brian Elliott
"If our team doesn't face enough adversity early on in a season, I create it. Nothing builds a team like adversity." ~ Mike Tomlin

fractalsteel

Post by fractalsteel » Tue May 04, 2021 10:07 pm

Pabst wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 9:24 pm
Sid had 27 points over 23 games without Malkin (and a whole host of other Forwards). His 3 game pointless streak included a pair of wins over Washington.

I'm not going to read too much into it.
I wasn't being critical of him, hell, I think he should be a league MVP nominee.
But, his play has dragged a bit the past 4 games and that is just an observation from me. Even Errey mentioned it last night that Crosby has been 'off' the past week.
Sid got crushed in the FO circle last night going 4-19 and yes I knew the Flyers are a top tier FO team but it is rare, very much so that he is that bad in that part of the game.
I'm just worried that he might be running a little low at this juncture.

While I'm glad about sweeping the Caps, they were missing two of their best players.

Pabst

Post by Pabst » Tue May 04, 2021 10:25 pm

Let me say it another way - Given Sid's history, i'm more inclined to treat this as a blip than a sign of a bigger problem.

BethlehemSteel

Post by BethlehemSteel » Tue May 04, 2021 10:29 pm

When he missed his usual automatic one timer from the goal line, I said hmm......
"If our team doesn't face enough adversity early on in a season, I create it. Nothing builds a team like adversity." ~ Mike Tomlin

fractalsteel

Post by fractalsteel » Tue May 04, 2021 11:15 pm

Pettersson gets it started.
1-0

Pabst

Post by Pabst » Tue May 04, 2021 11:17 pm

fractalsteel wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 11:15 pm
Pettersson gets it started.
1-0
Just as I predicted!

Orangesteel

Post by Orangesteel » Tue May 04, 2021 11:17 pm

Great goal
“Thoughts are a waste of time for me.” - Michael Pettaway Tomlin

Pabst

Post by Pabst » Tue May 04, 2021 11:38 pm

Not sure if anyone saw this, but the NY Rangers just called out the NHL. I honestly can't think of another example of this happening in any sport:

fractalsteel

Post by fractalsteel » Wed May 05, 2021 12:06 am

Gave up too many juicy scoring chances around Jarry.

Much better overall team energy, just defend the outer box btter.

fractalsteel

Post by fractalsteel » Wed May 05, 2021 12:09 am

I'll take Farabee off the ice for Friedman every time.

fractalsteel

Post by fractalsteel » Wed May 05, 2021 12:12 am

Thank you Vorachek for that stupid penalty before the fists were tossed.

fractalsteel

Post by fractalsteel » Wed May 05, 2021 12:18 am

Captain Fatigue makes it 3-0

BethlehemSteel

Post by BethlehemSteel » Wed May 05, 2021 1:02 am

Pabst wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 11:38 pm
Not sure if anyone saw this, but the NY Rangers just called out the NHL. I honestly can't think of another example of this happening in any sport:

Must see tv tomorrow night

Get your fight card out

And Parros is an absolute moron

fractalsteel

Post by fractalsteel » Wed May 05, 2021 1:31 am

The tired one delivers again

Orangesteel

Post by Orangesteel » Wed May 05, 2021 1:31 am

Holy shit what a shot by CrosGod

SteelPro

Post by SteelPro » Wed May 05, 2021 1:36 am

That was quite a snipe by 87.
People who quote themselves look like dogs who lick their balls

- Deebo referring to SteelerDayTrader

fractalsteel

Post by fractalsteel » Wed May 05, 2021 1:42 am

Reign on

Ice

Post by Ice » Wed May 05, 2021 1:52 am

Well, they say turnabout is fair play. Nice win, boys!
Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile...

Orangesteel

Post by Orangesteel » Wed May 05, 2021 1:53 am

What a cheap ass cross check by Gostesbhere. Fucking cunt franchise. Have a nice off season.

DP39

Post by DP39 » Wed May 05, 2021 1:13 pm

Nice win last night.

The boys played like they're supposed to, as opposed to Monday. Within an NHL season, it's amazing how many games are won and lost based solely on a team's lack of effort. I realize that even a shortened NHL season is a grind and it's tough to be ON every single night, but it is definitely the biggest factor in a good team being blown out by a lessor one, imo.

Now, rest up today and take care business at home tomorrow and Saturday.

And, stay healthy!!!

DP39

Post by DP39 » Wed May 05, 2021 1:21 pm

Pabst wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 11:38 pm

I'll be surprised if the NHL does anything else. They just can't seem to let go of their 'goonery' past. It's one thing to play physical hockey, which I have no problem with, but it's another thing when you allow a know 'curb-stomper' to continue his ways year after year.

I fear Wilson is turning more young people (and their parents) off to the NHL than he is on. It's a real shame, because when played right and within the rules, it's such a great game...and league.

Pabst

Post by Pabst » Wed May 05, 2021 1:55 pm

LOL, holy shit these guys are a joke:
NHL Player Safety
@NHLPlayerSafety
Philadelphia’s Shayne Gostisbehere will have a hearing today for Boarding Pittsburgh’s Mark Friedman.

Don't get me wrong, he's a chicken-shit for what he did, but Ghost has never been fined/suspended by the league in his career.

Can you say 'make up call'?

fractalsteel

Post by fractalsteel » Wed May 05, 2021 2:36 pm

Most NHL fans see through the leagues action concerning both incidents. Sadly, this is how the league is run and many have come to expect these head scratching decisions.
The Flyers would serve themselves well to put out a statement much like the Rangers organization did.

As far as the game last night, a much better outcome.
I will say though, the Birdies were terrible defensively in the first period. You might be saying the Flyers only had 7 SOG but they had just as many chances close in and around the Pens net and failed to get shots on net. Get those shots on net and maybe we were looking at a different game.
Too many good scoring chances for the Flyers the first 20 minutes.

I thought the Pens played much harder last night and they were a menace to the Flyers in the OZ but they never truly insulated their own goal until later in the contest.

I'm a little troubled by Rust after he was out for a good while. He returned after a long absence but he didn't seem to have that same burst he had shown earlier in the contest.

One last thing, when the Pens were on the PP and it began with the second unit(1:20 worth of ice time) I was really impressed by Kapanen and his abilities to run the point. He made great decisions with the puck and he showed off his skillful passing abilities.

BethlehemSteel

Post by BethlehemSteel » Wed May 05, 2021 3:38 pm

Orangesteel wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 1:53 am
What a cheap ass cross check by Gostesbhere. Fucking cunt franchise. Have a nice off season.
Are you not aware of the backstory with Friedman? He was a whiny cunt who was crying over playing time (this years taxi squad) left off Phantoms roster......He sucks and was not liked by all the older Phantoms who are now on Philly. They have been going after him all year once he was waived and brought in by Hexy.

It's reported these comments didn't go over well (some of them kinda true) I thought it was funny Farabee fought him. They really do hate him
The Pittsburgh Penguins’ newly acquired defenseman Mark Friedman is unequivocal when asked how he feels about playing for the archrival of his former team, the Philadelphia Flyers.

“I can say I’m on the good side of the rivalry, let’s put it that way,” laughed Friedman, 25.

“There is more of a homier feel than Philadelphia,” said Friedman, who has been on injured reserve since March 4, following a game against the Flyers. “It’s not as busy, not as noisy, nicer people. It’s not as dirty, especially in Cranberry where I live. It’s just a great neighborhood.”

The Toronto, Ontario, native was originally drafted in 2014 by Ron Hextall when he was the general manager of Philadelphia. Hextall was named general manager of the Penguins in early February, 2021.

Hextall “was the one that drafted me and gave me my first opportunity,” said Friedman. “I can’t thank him enough for giving me a fresh start — it’s definitely something I needed. I’ve got nothing but good things to say about him. He’s hard when he needs to be, strict when he needs to be, but he is very approachable as well. We have a good relationship and it’s just fitting that he’s the one who picked me up off waivers.”
Gost's cross check surprised me.....it indicates way more went down then is led on. The intrigue continues. Gost should serve a few games.

Parros on the Animal's fate..........Parros should be stoned with bricks!!! :) NYR's statement is pure BIG BALLS GOLD!!

BethlehemSteel

Post by BethlehemSteel » Wed May 05, 2021 3:40 pm

fractalsteel wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 2:36 pm
Most NHL fans see through the leagues action concerning both incidents. Sadly, this is how the league is run and many have come to expect these head scratching decisions.
The Flyers would serve themselves well to put out a statement much like the Rangers organization did.

I will say though, the Birdies were terrible defensively in the first period. You might be saying the Flyers only had 7 SOG but they had just as many chances close in and around the Pens net and failed to get shots on net. Get those shots on net and maybe we were looking at a different game.

I thought the Pens played much harder last night and they were a menace to the Flyers in the OZ but they never truly insulated their own goal until later in the contest.

I'm a little troubled by Rust after he was out for a good while. He returned after a long absence but he didn't seem to have that same burst he had shown earlier in the contest.

One last thing, when the Pens were on the PP and it began with the second unit(1:20 worth of ice time) I was really impressed by Kapanen and his abilities to run the point. He made great decisions with the puck and he showed off his skillful passing abilities.
The Flyers are too Cucked by Comcast's golden purse-strings and pure incompetence.
If Snider were alive, he'd make that statement....as his did dozens of times before calling out the League.

SteelPro

Post by SteelPro » Wed May 05, 2021 6:49 pm

BethlehemSteel wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 3:40 pm
fractalsteel wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 2:36 pm

The Flyers are too Cucked by Comcast's golden purse-strings and pure incompetence.
If Snider were alive, he'd make that statement....as his did dozens of times before calling out the League.
Might that change now that NBC is out as a broadcast partner?
People who quote themselves look like dogs who lick their balls

- Deebo referring to SteelerDayTrader

Pabst

Post by Pabst » Wed May 05, 2021 7:17 pm

Shot:
Frank Seravalli
@frank_seravalli
Sources say that #NYR president John Davidson and GM Jeff Gorton scurried to distance themselves from the team statement that was issued on Tuesday night, telling other executives that they did not know it was in the works until after it was released.

Chaser:
Larry Brooks
@NYP_Brooksie
BREAKING. Shocker. Rangers have fired John Davidson and Jeff Gorton, Post has learned. Chris Drury will remain with organization and will have prominent role.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic