Broons v Craps

Here's the place for all matters puck. Be kind to your fellow posters, please.
Orangesteel

Broons v Craps

Post by Orangesteel » Thu May 20, 2021 2:36 am

That series has gone to OT all three games. Justin Shultz just made one of the bigger bone headed plays of his career and lost it for the Craps in OT.

Fuck both of these teams.

“Thoughts are a waste of time for me.” - Michael Pettaway Tomlin

Ice

Post by Ice » Thu May 20, 2021 9:23 am

I watched this like I watch NASCAR, rooting for 10-car pileups.
Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile...

bradshaw2ben
Site Admin

Post by bradshaw2ben » Thu May 20, 2021 3:54 pm

Orangesteel wrote:
Thu May 20, 2021 2:36 am
That series has gone to OT all three games. Justin Shultz just made one of the bigger bone headed plays of his career and lost it for the Craps in OT.

That was such a weird-looking play, like Schultz was bracing himself to be body-slammed into the wall and forgot to play the puck.
1 20 Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia
2 51 TRADE: Brandon Aiyuk, WR
3 84 Hunter Nourzad, C, Penn State
3× 98 Jarvis Brownlee, Jr., CB, Florida State
4 128 Qwan'tez Stiggers, DB, Toronto Argonauts

DP39

Post by DP39 » Thu May 20, 2021 5:33 pm

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Thu May 20, 2021 3:54 pm
Orangesteel wrote:
Thu May 20, 2021 2:36 am

That was such a weird-looking play, like Schultz was bracing himself to be body-slammed into the wall and forgot to play the puck.
To me it looked like a dumb miscommunication between two fatigued players. It looked like Schultz made a last minute decision to go to the corner -- after he saw how close the defender had gotten inside of him. And then, Samsonov didn't expect it and failed to react, leaving Schultz to have to react last second, but not making it in time to stop the turnover and goal.

Either way, I'm glad both teams are beating the crap out of one another and I'm pulling for a seven game series with 3OTs every game. :)

bradshaw2ben
Site Admin

Post by bradshaw2ben » Thu May 20, 2021 6:50 pm

Amen

Texas Steel

Post by Texas Steel » Fri May 21, 2021 1:57 am

Ice wrote:
Thu May 20, 2021 9:23 am
I watched this like I watch NASCAR, rooting for 10-car pileups.
Speaking of 10-car pileups... tonight's game was a gas.

bradshaw2ben
Site Admin

Post by bradshaw2ben » Sat May 22, 2021 6:18 pm

As much as I'd like all 7 games of the Caps-Bruins series to go to 3 OT+, I decided last night I don't want that A Hole Tom Wilson to get anywhere near Pittsburgh's stars–– rooting openly now for Boston to win. Yes, they're tough and irritating as well, but their irritating guys are smaller and or less hazardous.

fractalsteel

Post by fractalsteel » Mon May 24, 2021 12:36 am

I'm laughing at the NBC/S announcers moaning about the Capitols and all the injuries they have had to deal with.
ReallY?
Yeah, there was a rash at the end of the season but only a few teams had to deal with injuries all year like the Pens did and no one is talking about that.

Boston has been in sleep mode most of this game but lead 2-0.

Orangesteel

Post by Orangesteel » Mon May 24, 2021 3:45 am

Eat shit Craps!

DP39

Post by DP39 » Mon May 24, 2021 1:30 pm

Was hoping the series would go the full seven, oh well.

I can decide if the Bruins are that good or if the Caps are just that old and slow?

I hate to say it, but I saw similar players in the Great 8 and Geno -- although Geno certainly has an injury excuse. Ove would have a few bursts of full speed hockey then play at a subpar level the rest of the time. Geno seems to be doing the same the last few games. I hate to suggest it, but I can't help but wonder if we're harder to defend with a more aggressive and speedier player like E-Rod on the ice instead? If not, I sure hope 71 is able to be 'good' 71 from here on out, cause we're going to need it.

fractalsteel

Post by fractalsteel » Mon May 24, 2021 2:19 pm

DP39 wrote:
Mon May 24, 2021 1:30 pm

I can decide if the Bruins are that good or if the Caps are just that old and slow?

I hate to say it, but I saw similar players in the Great 8 and Geno -- although Geno certainly has an injury excuse. Ove would have a few bursts of full speed hockey then play at a subpar level the rest of the time. Geno seems to be doing the same the last few games. I hate to suggest it, but I can't help but wonder if we're harder to defend with a more aggressive and speedier player like E-Rod on the ice instead? If not, I sure hope 71 is able to be 'good' 71 from here on out, cause we're going to need it.
If you think Malkin is being lazy just come out and say it instead of tiptoeing around the subject.

71 is playing on one good leg. I have seen him battle hard behind both nets, along the boards but the burst isn't there. Even the idiots at NBC have noticed this.
If you are going to be critical of 71 hit the target.
Malkin is taking stupid penalties and thankfully they haven't come back to hurt the team. If he continues taking them eventually they are going to cost the Pens. Attack this.
His FO's haven't been good. Not sure if that is a leg thing, matchups or his technique is flawed.

Concerning 71, I don't see an effort problem. I do see a guy though who is taking too many penalties because he is frustrated.

As far as sitting him for a healthy player, there is some merit there. Then again, that breaks up the lines and weakens the team.

Funny thing, once the Russians started to enter the NHL the stigma/mantra that they are lazy players really has been applied. I wonder why.

DP39

Post by DP39 » Mon May 24, 2021 3:08 pm

fractalsteel wrote:
Mon May 24, 2021 2:19 pm
DP39 wrote:

If you think Malkin is being lazy just come out and say it instead of tiptoeing around the subject.

71 is playing on one good leg. I have seen him battle hard behind both nets, along the boards but the burst isn't there. Even the idiots at NBC have noticed this.
Malkin is taking stupid penalties and thankfully they haven't come back to hurt the team. If he continues taking them eventually they are going to cost the Pens. Attack this.
His FO's haven't been good. Not sure if that is a leg thing, matchups or his technique is flawed.

Concerning 71, I don't see an effort problem. I do see a guy though who is taking too many penalties because he is frustrated.

As far as sitting him for a healthy player, there is some merit there. Then again, that breaks up the lines and weakens the team.

Funny thing, once the Russians started to enter the NHL the stigma/mantra that they are lazy players really has been applied. I wonder why.
WTF?....Chill, fractal.

If I wanted to say they were being lazy I would've typed that. This isn't a Malkin thing or a Russian thing for me. It's a hockey player thing -- and only that. Matter of fact, I just recently praised Geno for his play in his two assists in the previous game.

I basically stated that except for some bursts, Ovie seemed old and slow to me. I compared that to Geno, but stated he had an injury causing his problems. To me, what these star players have in common is that they're both older and seemed slower right now, and I questioned whether that was hurting their teams. Somehow you've turned this into me hating Geno, Ovie AND Russians, while implying I'm too afraid to actually say it. Also, my 'good' Geno comment was in direct relation to you using the 'bad' Geno term in a post about his play in the last game -- very similar to how most here describe whether we're getting 'good Ben' and 'bad Ben' on any given play.

Good god man, get a grip. I'm really tiring of wondering if I'm going to go through this shit with you every time a I have an observation about a player....wait, I mean a Russian player, now. WTF?

One last thing, it's obvious to me you follow hockey more closely than I (and most here), and probably have for years. As proof, I honestly didn't even know there was an opinion that Russian players were perceived (wrongly) as lazy or not.

While I certainly enjoy learning from you sharing your hockey knowledge....lighten the F up, Francis. If you can't seem to do that than just do us both a favor and put me on ignore already.

Louis Lipps Service

Post by Louis Lipps Service » Mon May 24, 2021 4:23 pm

DP39 wrote:
Mon May 24, 2021 3:08 pm

WTF?....Chill, fractal.

If I wanted to say they were being lazy I would've typed that. This isn't a Malkin thing or a Russian thing for me. It's a hockey player thing -- and only that. Matter of fact, I just recently praised Geno for his play in his two assists in the previous game.

I basically stated that except for some bursts, Ovie seemed old and slow to me. I compared that to Geno, but stated he had an injury causing his problems. To me, what these star players have in common is that they're both older and seemed slower right now, and I questioned whether that was hurting their teams. Somehow you've turned this into me hating Geno, Ovie AND Russians, while implying I'm too afraid to actually say it. Also, my 'good' Geno comment was in direct relation to you using the 'bad' Geno term in a post about his play in the last game -- very similar to how most here describe whether we're getting 'good Ben' and 'bad Ben' on any given play.

Good god man, get a grip. I'm really tiring of wondering if I'm going to go through this shit with you every time a I have an observation about a player....wait, I mean a Russian player, now. WTF?

One last thing, it's obvious to me you follow hockey more closely than I (and most here), and probably have for years. As proof, I honestly didn't even know there was an opinion that Russian players were perceived (wrongly) as lazy or not.

While I certainly enjoy learning from you sharing your hockey knowledge....lighten the F up, Francis. If you can't seem to do that than just do us both a favor and put me on ignore already.
Seriously.

That was a major overreaction, FC.

I mean, he literally said in his post that Malkin has an excuse in that he’s battling injury.

fractalsteel

Post by fractalsteel » Mon May 24, 2021 5:05 pm

DP39 wrote:
fractalsteel wrote:
DP39 wrote:

WTF?....Chill, fractal.

I read your initial comments as being about effort. Maybe that is on me for whatever reasons but that is as far as I took it. If you feel offended that I misread it I apologize.
I made that one point and you spent a paragraph telling me to get a grip, to calm down and to lighten up Francis.

That is funny because I spent the rest of the post breaking down Malkin's faults in this series, not going after you. You were the one that came after me, feel a little defensive? If I need a chill pill you need a double.

I'm just a guy that watches the Pens every chance he gets. I also read all the posts here and try and take away something from each of them including yours.

As far as the Russian reputation thing I brought up that wasn't directed at you as something you subscribe to. Honestly I don't know if you do or don't but I thought I might throw it out there, garner some conversation.
It is a very interesting subject that could be discussed for a long while.

I believe that on this part of the site, the hockey end, we all tend to be very civil to one another. We throw ideas out there and we discuss them. If you weren't questioning Malkin's effort then I take you at your word and I'll move on.
I'll also keep to a boundary concerning your posts from now on.

DP39

Post by DP39 » Mon May 24, 2021 6:44 pm

fractalsteel wrote:
Mon May 24, 2021 5:05 pm
DP39 wrote:
fractalsteel wrote:

WTF?....Chill, fractal.

I read your initial comments as being about effort. Maybe that is on me for whatever reasons but that is as far as I took it. If you feel offended that I misread it I apologize.
I made that one point and you spent a paragraph telling me to get a grip, to calm down and to lighten up Francis.

That is funny because I spent the rest of the post breaking down Malkin's faults in this series, not going after you. You were the one that came after me, feel a little defensive? If I need a chill pill you need a double.

I'm just a guy that watches the Pens every chance he gets. I also read all the posts here and try and take away something from each of them including yours.

As far as the Russian reputation thing I brought up that wasn't directed at you as something you subscribe to. Honestly I don't know if you do or don't but I thought I might throw it out there, garner some conversation.
It is a very interesting subject that could be discussed for a long while.

I believe that on this part of the site, the hockey end, we all tend to be very civil to one another. We throw ideas out there and we discuss them. If you weren't questioning Malkin's effort then I take you at your word and I'll move on.
I'll also keep to a boundary concerning your posts from now on.
I too apologize for going back after you somewhat aggressively. I'm sure it had to do with your several previous attacks towards me the few times I've simply brought up my view of some of Malkin's perceived faults. You yourself have admitted to being overly sensitive to (what you perceive as) negative observations about him.

Trust me, I try not to offend others (in all aspects of my life; I was raised that way and is a core value) and have actually thought about you when I make a post about Malkin -- cause I immediately question whether I'm going to have to defend my simple observation or not based on your perception of what I meant in my comment.

I also know that typing on a message board doesn't always translate to the message one wants to relay, and one's writing abilities may limit that as well. I'm sure that's why I use Smilies as much as I do; sometimes it helps purvey what can be lacking or inexact in the text.

I have observed that when I mention Geno's positives, I don't get much input from you, though. So, I'll try to sick to those more often.

Hopefully we can move past this and Geno is the MVP of a Pens cup run and win! :)

fractalsteel

Post by fractalsteel » Mon May 24, 2021 7:42 pm

I'm believe what you call attacks on you are rather attacks on your posts. A fundamental rule here and one that I try hard not to cross.
The last time I went after a poster here was with FC nearly 11 years ago. It got ugly and we both regretted our actions.

I went back and reread the last 40 threads in this forum. I only reposted 3-4 of your posts and you 4 of mine. Only once did it get a bit ugly and that was back on a Devils thread 4-22-21.
That is some sixty days and nearly half the season.

So I don't see where your claim: "Good god man, get a grip. I'm really tiring of wondering if I'm going to go through this shit with you every time a I have an observation about a player....wait, I mean a Russian player, now. WTF?" is really valid.
I don't follow you around looking to poke holes at you, nor any other poster.

In fact going over those threads again was refreshing and I was much more contentious with Pabst, B2B, Stillthere and Ice on a few occasions.

When Pabst turned over the thread duties I even suggested that you would be a fine candidate to start them.

I learned a few things today so I'm taking a new approach to how I interact with posters here.

Pabst

Post by Pabst » Mon May 24, 2021 8:55 pm

Don't mean to interrupt, but wanted to talk Caps for a second.

Much to-do has been made about the Pens' championship window closing, but check out the Caps right now: Three straight first round playoff exits, oldest roster in the league, and if they keep Ovie they are right up against the Cap for the foreseeable future.

Every single member of that defense will be over 30 next year.
Among forwards, only Mantha, Wilson, and Sprong are under 29.
None of their young goalies look like they are anything special.

To top it off, the Caps have one of the weakest prospect pools at this point in time. I know the Pens don't have much either, but Pittsburgh at least has some quality youth in the lineup right now.

Orangesteel

Post by Orangesteel » Mon May 24, 2021 10:11 pm

Yeah reading the Caps Reddit page, the consensus is they are slow, old and dumb. Big shakeups probably on the horizon with probably only a few guys totally safe.

Wouldn’t be shocked to see Oshie go to the Kraken. He’s from here.

Pabst

Post by Pabst » Mon May 24, 2021 10:35 pm

Orangesteel wrote:
Mon May 24, 2021 10:11 pm
Yeah reading the Caps Reddit page, the consensus is they are slow, old and dumb. Big shakeups probably on the horizon with probably only a few guys totally safe.

Wouldn’t be shocked to see Oshie go to the Kraken. He’s from here.
Washington would have to give some sort of incentive for the Kraken to take him.

Oshie turns 35 in December and is getting $5.75m/year til he's 40. That's not a good contract to take on when building a team

fractalsteel

Post by fractalsteel » Mon May 24, 2021 10:37 pm

The Ovie question is one I'm interested in. Does he take a discount?

How would you like to be an Oiler fan right now?
McDavid talking about this is the year that the Oiler have to make a move in the playoffs.
I turned it off once it got to 4-1.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic