Pens vs Flames (10/28/21)

Here's the place for all matters puck. Be kind to your fellow posters, please.
Pabst

Pens vs Flames (10/28/21)

Post by Pabst » Thu Oct 28, 2021 3:50 pm

First, the Pens updates:
- No Crosby tonight
- Tanger is still symptomatic and in protocol
- Sounds like Carter is doing fine and could be back for Saturday's tilt vs NJ

Guentzel - Rodrigues - Heinen
Zucker - O'Connor - Kapanen
ZAR - Blueger - McGinn
Simon - Boyle - Lafferty

Dumoulin/Marino
Pettersson/Friedman
Matheson/Ruhwedel

DeSmith

Calgary has been on fire (thanks, I'll be here all week), winning 4 straight. Elias Lindholm and Andrew Mangiapane each have 7 goals thru 6 games. Call me crazy, but i don't think shooting at nearly 40% is sustainable. We shall see.

Gaudreau - Lindholm - Tkachuk
Coleman - Backlund - Pitlick
Mangiapane - Dube - Ritchie
Lucic - Monahan - Lewis

Kylington/Tanev
Hanifin/Andersson
Valimaki/Gudbranson

Markstrom

I really haven't seen much of the Flames thus far, but it just seems like 2 players are going berserk. No one else really stands out.

LGP

Pabst

Post by Pabst » Fri Oct 29, 2021 12:37 am

Markstrom seeing beach balls tonight

fractalsteel

Post by fractalsteel » Fri Oct 29, 2021 1:41 pm

Something like 1GA his last three starts.
Sometimes you just get stuck in a cycle facing hot teams or tenders. Pens have seen their share of top notch tenders to start the season.

45 SOG last night and the boys had numerous chances including several odd breaks.
A lot of bad luck on good shots for the Birdies.

I have to say Marino did screw up on the first goal even if Caulfield defended his actions. Instead of pinching to keep the puck in the OZ with a dangerous line on the ice he should have stayed back and made the going tough for that line.
Gaudreau made a nice small chip shot to get the puck past Marino and up ice and from there it was up to DeSmith to make a great save. I thought DeSmith was in good position but it was a great shot that beat him.
Hopefully Marino learns from that.

For me, this early in the season it is hard to watch the whole game with so much firepower out of the lineup. Some fans are saying it reminds them of the Pens before the 2 biggies showed up but one big difference between those days and today is coaching. We have good/great coaching in place unlike the early 2000's when it was a joke.
Sully really has the boys playing about as well as they can. Last night they didn't get any bounces. Way it goes.

Pabst

Post by Pabst » Fri Oct 29, 2021 4:17 pm

fractalsteel wrote:
Fri Oct 29, 2021 1:41 pm
Sully really has the boys playing about as well as they can. Last night they didn't get any bounces. Way it goes.
100% concur.

Top 3 Centers, #1 Defenseman, plus a top line winger being out is damn near impossible to overcome.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic