Pens vs Panthers (11/11/21)

Here's the place for all matters puck. Be kind to your fellow posters, please.
Pabst

Pens vs Panthers (11/11/21)

Post by Pabst » Thu Nov 11, 2021 7:54 pm

Family is in town, so won't be able to watch.

Go Pens!

fractalsteel

Post by fractalsteel » Thu Nov 11, 2021 9:18 pm

Wednesday practice lines

Jake-Carter-Rust
Zucker-Rodrigues-Kap
Heinen-Bluegar-McGinn
O'conner-Boyle-ZAR

Matheson-Letang
POJ-Marino
Pettersson-Ruhwedel

It dawned on me a few games ago that what we are watching so far this season is a look into the Pens future maybe in 4-5 years when both Crosby and Malkin are done.
There is talent left over and maybe they find a few more pieces but it might be a dry run for a while.

Orangesteel

Post by Orangesteel » Thu Nov 11, 2021 11:53 pm

Panthers are a good team. Top 5 so far this season. Will be a tough one.
“Thoughts are a waste of time for me.” - Michael Pettaway Tomlin

Orangesteel

Post by Orangesteel » Fri Nov 12, 2021 12:26 am

Pens are so far skating with a very good, very fast team. It’s what kinda pisses me off about the other night against the Blackhawks. For the first two periods they weren’t playing like this. I like the effort they are giving tonight because if they weren’t, they’d be buried already. Gotta play like this night in and night out, especially against bottom feeders.

Orangesteel

Post by Orangesteel » Fri Nov 12, 2021 12:30 am

Ba Ba Bleuger!

fractalsteel

Post by fractalsteel » Fri Nov 12, 2021 2:38 am

Atrocious officiating that last 75 seconds of the third.
Ref yanked towel from Sucker cleaning his visor after the icing. Never saw that before, then 15 seconds later zucker takes a cheapie to the head and no call.

fractalsteel

Post by fractalsteel » Fri Nov 12, 2021 2:43 am

Bob taking shots
Friendly fire then Jake says fuck it and bowls him over

Orangesteel

Post by Orangesteel » Fri Nov 12, 2021 2:51 am

BJC!

Solid effort to get 2 points against a very good team.

fractalsteel

Post by fractalsteel » Fri Nov 12, 2021 2:51 am

SO WIN!!!!!!

fractalsteel

Post by fractalsteel » Fri Nov 12, 2021 2:52 am

A lot of pressure on Rust to score in the third round or it was over. Clutch

DP39

Post by DP39 » Fri Nov 12, 2021 3:58 am

What a great win and fun game to watch!

bradshaw2ben
Site Admin

Post by bradshaw2ben » Fri Nov 12, 2021 1:51 pm

What a beautiful freaking hockey game. I almost forgot what hockey is supposed to look like. That was as good as it gets for style of play, talent, and excitement.
1 20 Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia
2 51 TRADE: Brandon Aiyuk, WR
3 84 Hunter Nourzad, C, Penn State
3× 98 Jarvis Brownlee, Jr., CB, Florida State
4 128 Qwan'tez Stiggers, DB, Toronto Argonauts

DP39

Post by DP39 » Fri Nov 12, 2021 2:11 pm

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Fri Nov 12, 2021 1:51 pm
What a beautiful freaking hockey game. I almost forgot what hockey is supposed to look like. That was as good as it gets for style of play, talent, and excitement.
Perfectly stated.

bradshaw2ben
Site Admin

Post by bradshaw2ben » Fri Nov 12, 2021 5:18 pm

DP39 wrote:
Fri Nov 12, 2021 2:11 pm
bradshaw2ben wrote:
Perfectly stated.
Imagine Sid and Geno in that style of game!

It's tricky, because I guess you have to be playing a team who is willing to play that style, too... and if they're willing, usually it's because they think they can outskate/out-talent you. But if you can play that style while still being defense/possession attentive and make big saves/win key faceoffs... it sure is fun to take the Ferrari out for a spin in a Family Truckster kind of world. I wish the NHL postseason looked like that and not a bunch of neanderthal, ham-n-egger hockey like it is most of the time.

DP39

Post by DP39 » Fri Nov 12, 2021 8:02 pm

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Fri Nov 12, 2021 5:18 pm
DP39 wrote:
Fri Nov 12, 2021 2:11 pm
bradshaw2ben wrote:
Perfectly stated.
Imagine Sid and Geno in that style of game!

It's tricky, because I guess you have to be playing a team who is willing to play that style, too... and if they're willing, usually it's because they think they can outskate/out-talent you. But if you can play that style while still being defense/possession attentive and make big saves/win key faceoffs... it sure is fun to take the Ferrari out for a spin in a Family Truckster kind of world. I wish the NHL postseason looked like that and not a bunch of neanderthal, ham-n-egger hockey like it is most of the time.
Yep. While I enjoy a great, hard clean hit (hate cheap-shot artists -- I see you T Wilson) as much as the next guy, I love watching hockey like it was played (by both teams) last night.

fractalsteel

Post by fractalsteel » Fri Nov 12, 2021 8:46 pm

Yeah, it was an exciting game to watch but it wasn't a thing of beauty in my mind.
Too many shots on goal allowed.
Sloppy line changes( a staple with Pens teams for years).
Jarry bailed out his teammates who made horrendous TO's in their own end. Looking at you Matheson.
Speaking of Matheson, he has talent and to be honest he fits the Pens style so you see him doing some really good things but there are still too many times where he makes or nearly makes a terrible decision that either ends up in the back of the net of gives the opposition a glorious scoring chance.
Letang is playing too many minutes but it almost has to be that way.
The depth is at its limit. Any more covid scratches or injuries and this team is looking at big trouble.

Then again it is the middle of November and teams are still getting their shit together. Look at the standings. Do you really think that the Rangers or Devils are going to contend for the division? Are the Islanders the worst team in the Metro(nope)?

I think that Sully and the staff have done a great job of getting EVERYONE to buy into 200 foot hockey and playing the way he wants them to and that, along with Jarry have kept the team afloat.
No single Penguin, aside from Carter is really have a big season to date. Maybe Letang on the back end but no forward is going crazy on the score sheet, yet.
I see guys like Zucker and Kap playing hard all over the ice even though neither of them really have the guys in the middle they are supposed to be playing with right now.
Heinen has been a breath of fresh air and Rodrigues for being limited is playing as well as he is capable of. DItto for a lot of guys so far.

But what if Jarry slumps? What if the injuries are not fluky and continue. What if Covid fucks the Pens over all year. Look at Ottawa, they have something like 8 guys in protocol right now. Yikes.

It is fun to get excited about games like last night but the hard part of the season isn't here yet. The Pens haven't played back to back yet and the grind is around the corner. Not to mention what are the Olympics going to do to the teams that might get hot before that break?

If/when the Pens get healthy what are you going to do down the middle? Crosby, Malkin, Carter, Bluegar? Something tells me that isn't the best line up even though conventional wisdom says that is crazy depth down the middle.
Me, I would like to see Carter with second line minutes most nights. Maybe even move Malkin to a winger on his line time to time. Big guy going hard to the net and Malkin swooping in to make things interesting. Then you can mix Kap and Heinen in next to those two.
Bingo

A lot of home cooking so far and they really don't play a taxing road trip until early January though they make a West coast swing before that a month or so earlier.

bradshaw2ben
Site Admin

Post by bradshaw2ben » Fri Nov 12, 2021 9:21 pm

@fractalsteel "Speaking of Matheson, he has talent and to be honest he fits the Pens style so you see him doing some really good things but there are still too many times where he makes or nearly makes a terrible decision that either ends up in the back of the net of gives the opposition a glorious scoring chance."

So, he's Justin Schultz?

I wasn't saying last night was the perfect Pens game, just that it was hella fun hockey to watch.

fractalsteel

Post by fractalsteel » Fri Nov 12, 2021 10:13 pm

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Fri Nov 12, 2021 9:21 pm
@fractalsteel "Speaking of Matheson, he has talent and to be honest he fits the Pens style so you see him doing some really good things but there are still too many times where he makes or nearly makes a terrible decision that either ends up in the back of the net of gives the opposition a glorious scoring chance."

So, he's Justin Schultz?

I wasn't saying last night was the perfect Pens game, just that it was hella fun hockey to watch.
Schultz never had Matheson's wheels and Matheson doesn't have a shot like Schultz can/ could bring. Kinda of different players to me.

I wasn't saying last night wasn't fun but I think Florida only played a b-/ c+ game.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic