Pens vs Bruins (4/21/22)

Here's the place for all matters puck. Be kind to your fellow posters, please.
Pabst

Pens vs Bruins (4/21/22)

Post by Pabst » Thu Apr 21, 2022 3:23 pm

So....the Pens are now tied with Washington for 3rd place (but own the tiebreakers).

We're now into must win territory, as dropping to 4th place likely means a date with Florida. First and Second place are out of reach at this point - NY and Carolina only need one point in their final 5 games to stay ahead of Pittsburgh.

Unfortunately, it looks like Jarry will be out for a few weeks. But....it looks like Boston has also been hit with the injury bug. David Patrnak, Hampus Lindholm, and Linus Ulmark are all out for tonight's game.

Brad Marchand - Patrice Bergeron - Jake DeBrusk
Taylor Hall - Erik Haula - Curtis Lazar
Trent Frederic - Charlie Coyle - Craig Smith
Nick Foligno - Tomas Nosek - Marc McLaughlin

Matt Grzelcyk / Charlie McAvoy
Mike Reilly / Brandon Carlo
Derek Forbort / Connor Clifton

Jeremy Swayman

I know all the talk has been around goaltending and defensive pairings, but I really don't think that's been the Pens' issue. They haven't scored enough. Particularly on the PP. Malking coming back on Saturday will help, but they need to step it up. Help Desmith out.

Jake Guentzel - Sidney Crosby - Rickard Rakell
Jason Zucker - Jeff Carter - Bryan Rust
Danton Heinen - Teddy Blueger - Brock McGinn
Evan Rodrigues - Brian Boyle - Kasperi Kapanen

Brian Dumoulin / Kris Letang
Marcus Pettersson / John Marino
Mike Matheson / Chad Ruhwedel

Casey DeSmith

fractalsteel

Post by fractalsteel » Thu Apr 21, 2022 4:24 pm

I would really like to fuck Angie Harmon.

Alison Victoria would be a nice runner up-you just know she likes to thrash around in the sack.

Pabst

Post by Pabst » Thu Apr 21, 2022 5:37 pm

fractalsteel wrote:
Thu Apr 21, 2022 4:24 pm

Alison Victoria would be a nice runner up-you just know she likes to thrash around in the sack.
I have no idea what prompted this, but I'm in agreement :lol:

fractalsteel

Post by fractalsteel » Thu Apr 21, 2022 7:28 pm

Pabst wrote:
Thu Apr 21, 2022 5:37 pm
fractalsteel wrote:

When I think of AH I get happy. She is in my wheelhouse-tall, dark hair and eyes and that voice. Kicking body as well. Funny as well.

When I think of the Pens I'm seeing a team that is going to be lose in the first round.
3-6-1 to start the most important part of the regular season.
They had slipped defensively for the past few months and that is as much on the back end as it is with the forwards.
And like you said, they are not scoring enough.
The PP looks average at best w/o Malkin.
Speaking of 71 he has been up and down this year. He will need to go off in the playoffs for the Pens to have a chance.

Right now you can count on Crosby and Jake, Rust at times and Rakell seems to be a great fit with 87. Matheson and Letang on defense. The rest are disappointing.

The first round is probably NY or Florida-Two teams that Pens can not beat in a 7 game series.

The most important player on the team might miss the start to the playoffs.
Hard to get excited about all that.

I'll be there cheering and hoping but it makes me sad that we might be seeing the end to Letang/Malkin and Rust as Penguins in the next month or so.
Rust is gone unless they get really stupid and pay him 6 million a year for 6 years. Bad deal.
Malkin is a favorite to come back but what if he gets an offer that the Pens won't counter?
Letang wants a 5 year deal and won't budge. Some team is going to give it to him but it probably won't be the Pens and that isn't a bad decision.

Pabst

Post by Pabst » Thu Apr 21, 2022 7:47 pm

fractalsteel wrote:
Thu Apr 21, 2022 7:28 pm
Pabst wrote:
Thu Apr 21, 2022 5:37 pm
fractalsteel wrote:

When I think of AH I get happy. She is in my wheelhouse-tall, dark hair and eyes and that voice. Kicking body as well. Funny as well.

When I think of the Pens I'm seeing a team that is going to be lose in the first round.
3-6-1 to start the most important part of the regular season.
They had slipped defensively for the past few months and that is as much on the back end as it is with the forwards.
And like you said, they are not scoring enough.
The PP looks average at best w/o Malkin.
Speaking of 71 he has been up and down this year. He will need to go off in the playoffs for the Pens to have a chance.

Right now you can count on Crosby and Jake, Rust at times and Rakell seems to be a great fit with 87. Matheson and Letang on defense. The rest are disappointing.

The first round is probably NY or Florida-Two teams that Pens can not beat in a 7 game series.

The most important player on the team might miss the start to the playoffs.
Hard to get excited about all that.

I'll be there cheering and hoping but it makes me sad that we might be seeing the end to Letang/Malkin and Rust as Penguins in the next month or so.
Rust is gone unless they get really stupid and pay him 6 million a year for 6 years. Bad deal.
Malkin is a favorite to come back but what if he gets an offer that the Pens won't counter?
Letang wants a 5 year deal and won't budge. Some team is going to give it to him but it probably won't be the Pens and that isn't a bad decision.
Yeah, I'm with you. Rust has (unfortunately) priced himself out of Pittsburgh. If they can get Rakell for a 5x5, I'd much rather keep him around given Rust is a bit older and has a somewhat checkered injury history.

And in now way shape or form do I want Letang back on a 5 year deal. He'll turn 35 on Sunday, and he's bound to fall off sooner rather than later.

Malkin has expressed willingness to come back at a similar rate to what he's making now. If he signs for 2 or 3 years, I'm cool with that.

fractalsteel

Post by fractalsteel » Thu Apr 21, 2022 11:35 pm

Forbert had what 4 blocked shots on the PK?

Sid tapped him afterwards.

fractalsteel

Post by fractalsteel » Fri Apr 22, 2022 12:25 am

Zucker

Not a good start to the period but a nice dip of the stick by BFJC
2-0

fractalsteel

Post by fractalsteel » Fri Apr 22, 2022 12:41 am

Nice flip by the captain and Letang with the cross ice pass.
Jake,again

3-0

Pabst

Post by Pabst » Fri Apr 22, 2022 12:46 am

fractalsteel wrote:
Fri Apr 22, 2022 12:25 am
Zucker

Not a good start to the period but a nice dip of the stick by BFJC
2-0
This play was sweet. Great play by BFJC and an awesome finish from Zucker.

I'm watching on my phone and they're carrying the Boston feed. Jack Edwards makes me hurt inside

Orangesteel

Post by Orangesteel » Fri Apr 22, 2022 1:06 am

Good stuff through the first two periods.
“Thoughts are a waste of time for me.” - Michael Pettaway Tomlin

Orangesteel

Post by Orangesteel » Fri Apr 22, 2022 1:38 am

Hatty!

Great game by DeSmith. We will need that kind of goaltending.
“Thoughts are a waste of time for me.” - Michael Pettaway Tomlin

fractalsteel

Post by fractalsteel » Fri Apr 22, 2022 12:55 pm

I didn't see the third but 41 shots surrendered in the second and third period isn't going to get it done come the playoffs. Give that many up to Florida and they will hang 7 on you.

Solid win but that 60 minute game still eludes this team.

Pabst

Post by Pabst » Fri Apr 22, 2022 1:17 pm

fractalsteel wrote:
Fri Apr 22, 2022 12:55 pm
I didn't see the third but 41 shots surrendered in the second and third period isn't going to get it done come the playoffs. Give that many up to Florida and they will hang 7 on you.

Were the Bruins getting many quality looks, though? They definitely had a flurry in the early 2nd, but it seemed like their shots were more quantity over quality.

Interesting note from the Bruins broadcast - the Pens were playing a high forward / three guys at the blue line in their own zone. I don't recall seeing that before.

Lastly - Guy Lafleur passed away this morning :(

fractalsteel

Post by fractalsteel » Fri Apr 22, 2022 2:02 pm

Pabst wrote:
Fri Apr 22, 2022 1:17 pm
fractalsteel wrote:
Fri Apr 22, 2022 12:55 pm

Were the Bruins getting many quality looks, though? They definitely had a flurry in the early 2nd, but it seemed like their shots were more quantity over quality.

Interesting note from the Bruins broadcast - the Pens were playing a high forward / three guys at the blue line in their own zone. I don't recall seeing that before.

Lastly - Guy Lafleur passed away this morning :(
Lafleur had beaten cancer a second time only to have it storm back. So sad, we lost two greats so close together. To all the Canadians on this board we feel your pain, the family shrunk a good bit last night.
RIP GL

bradshaw2ben
Site Admin

Post by bradshaw2ben » Fri Apr 22, 2022 10:32 pm

three, man... Gilles, Bossy, & LaFleur all in a very short span.
1 20 Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia
2 51 TRADE: Brandon Aiyuk, WR
3 84 Hunter Nourzad, C, Penn State
3× 98 Jarvis Brownlee, Jr., CB, Florida State
4 128 Qwan'tez Stiggers, DB, Toronto Argonauts

fractalsteel

Post by fractalsteel » Sat Apr 23, 2022 2:55 pm

I forgot that Gilles was drafted by Edmonton when they were in the WHL. What could have been. Talk about having your choice of franchises.

Rough 10 days or so. So much taken.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic