Pens vs Blue Jackets (3/28/24)

Here's the place for all matters puck. Be kind to your fellow posters, please.
Pabst

Pens vs Blue Jackets (3/28/24)

Post by Pabst » Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:16 pm

Sid knocking on the door of being a top 10 scorer all time. Frankly, that's the only reason to watch at this point

fractalsteel

Post by fractalsteel » Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:49 pm

Pabst wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:16 pm
Sid knocking on the door of being a top 10 scorer all time. Frankly, that's the only reason to watch at this point
I'm not sure about that being the only reason. Milestones are nice but pass with time.
I'm turning in to get a look at the young players. Maybe a laugh when the collapse happens and I can say 'told you so'.

I promised to limit my criticisms of the Pens TV announcers months ago and have kept my word. No more. They are worse now then they were in January with the ball washing.
I seriously doubt the Pens make a lot of changes to the team next year but a good place to start would be with 'Army' who is as lame an announcer as he was a player and Getzoff.

Think about all the legendary Pittsburgh sports announcers over the years. Now we are straddled with Getzoff, his monkey Colby and on occasion we have to tolerate that dolt Pompeani on the Steeler side.

As far as Sid goes, all the things he achieves are deserving. Can't think of a player in the game now who is more deserving of highest praise.

I never thought I would say this but he is the best Penguins player all time.

fractalsteel

Post by fractalsteel » Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:08 am

Poulin took a bad penalty in the OZ. Sully was visibly pissed and it looked like he was trying to light him on fire with hie eyes.

fractalsteel

Post by fractalsteel » Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:23 am

Wow

Malkin's first PP goal in 38 games.

Never thought that could or would happen.

Pabst

Post by Pabst » Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:03 am

Missed the game because my fucking race was cancelled and spent my evening modifying flights and hotels.

On a positive note, the end result is going to be me heading back to Pittsburgh for the first time in 5 years. The Pittsburgh Marathon just happened to be the same day as the race I'd signed up for (Providence RI, if anyone cares). Hotel and flight is cheaper too

fractalsteel

Post by fractalsteel » Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:55 pm

On another note some 30 species of fish in and around the Florida Keys are spinning in circular motions and dying from such.

@Pabst good luck with your extended jaunt.

bradshaw2ben
Site Admin

Post by bradshaw2ben » Sat Mar 30, 2024 2:54 am

fractalsteel wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:23 am
Wow

Amazing what happens when you take a guy with that shot and make him play with Karlsson vs Letang, and then when you demote him off the #1 unit, you move Letang up so that he can almost never feed Geno with incredible passes reight into 71's wheelhouse.

They literally had amazing chemistry last year on the back end of the PP and somehow the staff decided THAT was the problem with the PP.

bradshaw2ben
Site Admin

Post by bradshaw2ben » Sat Mar 30, 2024 2:55 am

Pabst wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:03 am
Missed the game because my fucking race was cancelled and spent my evening modifying flights and hotels.

On a positive note, the end result is going to be me heading back to Pittsburgh for the first time in 5 years. The Pittsburgh Marathon just happened to be the same day as the race I'd signed up for (Providence RI, if anyone cares). Hotel and flight is cheaper too
Hope the weather cooperates. It can be nasty hot/humid for the Pgh marathon.

fractalsteel

Post by fractalsteel » Sat Mar 30, 2024 2:19 pm

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2024 2:54 am
fractalsteel wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:23 am
Wow

Amazing what happens when you take a guy with that shot and make him play with Karlsson vs Letang, and then when you demote him off the #1 unit, you move Letang up so that he can almost never feed Geno with incredible passes reight into 71's wheelhouse.

They literally had amazing chemistry last year on the back end of the PP and somehow the staff decided THAT was the problem with the PP.
It goes back to the 'leak' that the Pens realigned the PP for Karlsson's sake when he came over.

2 of the top 3 ACTIVE PPP players in sheer points are Penguins (Ovie/Sid/Malkin).
Crosby has the highest average PPP with Malkin a smidge below him.

So you take two of the three best PPP players the last 20 years and reconfigure the PP around the newcomer? See why I'm down on Sully so much this year? How Reirden still has a place on the bench is troubling.

Then they benched Malkin on the PP. Basically had him on the ice for 30 seconds on the backend. Was he struggling? You bet but funny how his struggles were directly connected to playing besides 65 on PP.
When they benched 71 on the PP he was the leading PPP on the team.

Why do I have this sneaky feeling that if Reirden had been relieved months ago the Pens playoff plight might be stronger?

Pabst

Post by Pabst » Sat Mar 30, 2024 8:30 pm

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2024 2:55 am
Pabst wrote:

IIRC it downpoured last year. I always take the approach of 'cant control the weather so no use worrying about it'.

@fractalsteel - Thanks! This is the first time since about 2018 that I'm at the peak of my training cycle and haven't been injured (well, I was in March of 2020 too. Thanks, COVID). So, I've decided to go for broke and try for Sub-3:00.
There's a non-zero chance I'll collapse in a heap on Liberty Ave.

bradshaw2ben
Site Admin

Post by bradshaw2ben » Sun Mar 31, 2024 1:25 am

Pabst wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2024 8:30 pm
bradshaw2ben wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2024 2:55 am
Pabst wrote:

IIRC it downpoured last year. I always take the approach of 'cant control the weather so no use worrying about it'.

@fractalsteel - Thanks! This is the first time since about 2018 that I'm at the peak of my training cycle and haven't been injured (well, I was in March of 2020 too. Thanks, COVID). So, I've decided to go for broke and try for Sub-3:00.
There's a non-zero chance I'll collapse in a heap on Liberty Ave.
That second half is rough, uphill… if it’s hot it’ll get you.

I ran the first half in 1:13 ish in 1985. Felt great, too. Died in the heat when I couldn’t get enough fluids in me.

Pabst

Post by Pabst » Sun Mar 31, 2024 3:00 pm

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2024 1:25 am

I ran the first half in 1:13 ish in 1985. Felt great, too. Died in the heat when I couldn’t get enough fluids in me.
Looks like the course is fairly flat until 12. Then its rolling hills around Pitt & CMU followed by a big downhill around 23.

I'm banking on getting to that downhill section before bonking

bradshaw2ben
Site Admin

Post by bradshaw2ben » Mon Apr 01, 2024 12:12 am

Pabst wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2024 3:00 pm
bradshaw2ben wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2024 1:25 am

Looks like the course is fairly flat until 12. Then its rolling hills around Pitt & CMU followed by a big downhill around 23.

I'm banking on getting to that downhill section before bonking
Up and over the two bridges, then up to Pitt/Oakland

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic