Pens vs Devils (4/2/24)

Here's the place for all matters puck. Be kind to your fellow posters, please.
Pabst

Pens vs Devils (4/2/24)

Post by Pabst » Tue Apr 02, 2024 9:29 pm

They're still alive....I think.

Ned in net again tonight.

fractalsteel

Post by fractalsteel » Tue Apr 02, 2024 10:33 pm

The Birds have something like an 8% chance at the playoffs. Better than it was a week ago. Over at Pensburgh Hooks is playing the optimist and the comment field is full of realists.

The vibe I'm getting is if they win tonight in Jersey(which is rare) and against the Caps then they have a shot. Not a great one but there is still life.

I'd love to see them make the playoffs just for the carryover into the Spring.
But I don't see this squad doing it. All year they have been their own worst enemy. What is going to suddenly change that?

A playoff birth would scramble things with the direction of the franchise. IMO they organization would see the playoffs as a sign that there still is enough left in the tank, thus a rebuild would be put on hold. Sully would be safe.
Kind of like the NC State Basketball coach Kevin Keatts who was looking at being fired until the Pack won the ACC tournament kicking in an automatic 2 year extension.

OK, since I brought up my Wolfpack I'm on cloud nine with how they are doing in the Dance. It does remind me of the 1983 team who won that shocker over Phi Slamma Jamma for the title.

I go back to the early 70's with my Pack. 1973 they were the best team in the country but I believe they were barred from competing for the title. Not to fret, the took the 1974 season by storm and won it all.
David Thompson who defied gravity unlike few before him. Tom Burleson, a giant who was intimidating on both ends. Monte Towe, the tiny guard who was unflappable and Mo Rivers who was as smooth as anyone in basketball at that time.

They beat Maryland twice that year(if i remember correctly) who was led by John Lucas and a bunch of guys who would play professionally. Maryland was regarded as the second best team in the country but only the winner of the ACC tournament(NC State) made it to the National Tournament back then.

Anyway, if the Pens find a way to win in a place they have troubles doing such maybe there would be some hope.

The Crosby milestones are great and piling up.
I suspect they are of little solace to him being that he is about winning and championships. WIth each milestone passed he is probably thinking more about his chances at hoisting the cup one more time.
And if that is what he wants he is going to have to do it somewhere else.

Who says you can't root for Sid in another uniform?

fractalsteel

Post by fractalsteel » Wed Apr 03, 2024 12:29 am

Ned with a mammoth save, point blank at the end of the PK.

Just wow.

fractalsteel

Post by fractalsteel » Wed Apr 03, 2024 12:37 am

Crosby is human. Bad TO leads to another Devils goal.

Jerseys transition game, especially after a TO is a huge problem that the Birds haven't solved, for a good while.

fractalsteel

Post by fractalsteel » Wed Apr 03, 2024 1:15 am

Bad vibes toward Sid paid off. Yeah to to the second half of the 2 headed monster

Orangesteel

Post by Orangesteel » Wed Apr 03, 2024 4:32 am

Clearly me watching is what doomed this team.

I’ll poke my head in here over the next few weeks to see if they can pull off a miracle.
“Thoughts are a waste of time for me.” - Michael Pettaway Tomlin

bradshaw2ben
Site Admin

Post by bradshaw2ben » Wed Apr 03, 2024 11:06 am

That first Malkin goal will be on his highlight reel when they retire his jersey. No-look deflection, between the legs while skating hard across the crease.

Pabst

Post by Pabst » Wed Apr 03, 2024 1:20 pm

fractalsteel wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2024 10:33 pm
I go back to the early 70's with my Pack. 1973 they were the best team in the country but I believe they were barred from competing for the title. Not to fret, the took the 1974 season by storm and won it all.
David Thompson who defied gravity unlike few before him. Tom Burleson, a giant who was intimidating on both ends. Monte Towe, the tiny guard who was unflappable and Mo Rivers who was as smooth as anyone in basketball at that time.
Glad you at least have some vested rooting interest this time of year.

How exactly did you end up tied to NC State?

fractalsteel

Post by fractalsteel » Wed Apr 03, 2024 2:29 pm

Pabst wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2024 1:20 pm
fractalsteel wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2024 10:33 pm
Glad you at least have some vested rooting interest this time of year.

How exactly did you end up tied to NC State?
Moved to NC in 1972(Fort Bragg). Dad took up the NC Tar Heels so naturally I went in the NCS direction. Duke was not relevant at that time. I fancied Maryland as well.

Back then in NC it was ACC basketball, Pro Wrestling and the KKK. I kid you not.
We spent a lot of weekends going to the NC beaches and dad always took the back roads(the military in him). There were dozens and dozens of billboards strewn on the journey imploring people to join the Klan.

Years prior(1966) we lived off base in Augusta GA and a few streets behind us a black family lived. The Klan burned their house down one night. Dad made sure we saw the horror in it and to stand against it.
I spent a lot of my youth in the American South and then overseas in Taiwan(hoping they recover quickly from the earthquake) Japan and Korea. I loved Taiwan and Korea. Japan not so much.

Louis Lipps Service

Post by Louis Lipps Service » Wed Apr 03, 2024 4:04 pm

Last night's game was one of the first I've watched in a little while. After their most recent slide, I thought they'd be completely out of the playoff hunt.

Yet, I checked this morning, and they're still somehow only 3 points behind Washington for the last wildcard spot.

They play Washington tomorrow, and finish the season playing the other two teams fighting for that last spot (Islanders and Detroit) before they end the season.

I'm not saying it's likely, but it's definitely not impossible to sneak in.

swissvale72

Post by swissvale72 » Thu Apr 04, 2024 1:43 pm

I'm going to be real excited if Pens win tonight!! I'm already bitching non-stop about the blown leads v. Colorado & Columbus, costing Pens a valuable 2 points.

fractalsteel

Post by fractalsteel » Thu Apr 04, 2024 2:19 pm

Thankfully the Rangers came back from a blown lead( a league staple) to beat the Islanders last night.

No one is talking about Ned's back to back gems in NY and on the Island. He might have given the Birds a chance.

Anyone see Torts latest blow up after the Flyers last loss? He sure likes to talk about balls. Or players who don't know how to play hockey.

Louis Lipps Service

Post by Louis Lipps Service » Thu Apr 04, 2024 2:43 pm

fractalsteel wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2024 2:19 pm
Thankfully the Rangers came back from a blown lead( a league staple) to beat the Islanders last night.

No one is talking about Ned's back to back gems in NY and on the Island. He might have given the Birds a chance.

Anyone see Torts latest blow up after the Flyers last loss? He sure likes to talk about balls. Or players who don't know how to play hockey.
That was epic. I'd never want him for my coach, but I'm glad he's in the league. Endless entertainment.

He had another one a week or two ago that almost as epic.

fractalsteel

Post by fractalsteel » Thu Apr 04, 2024 2:58 pm

Louis Lipps Service wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2024 2:43 pm
fractalsteel wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2024 2:19 pm

That was epic. I'd never want him for my coach, but I'm glad he's in the league. Endless entertainment.

He had another one a week or two ago that almost as epic.
Agree
As long as Sid is there he wouldn't allow a guy like Torts to be hired.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic