Pens vs Isles back to back

Here's the place for all matters puck. Be kind to your fellow posters, please.
Legacy User

Pens vs Isles back to back

Post by Legacy User » Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:21 pm

The lines at practice

Pittsburgh Penguins @penguins
#Pens lines combos: Kunitz-Crosby-Comeau, Spaling-Malkin-Hornqvist, Bennett-Sutter-Downie, Sill-Goc-Adams.

Pittsburgh Penguins @penguins
No changes for #Pens workflow from Montreal game. D-pairs: Martin-Letang, Maatta-Ehrhoff, Scuderi-Despres-Bortuzzo.

A quote from coach MJ
“In my mind you treat these back-to-back series like a playoff series,” Johnston said. “It gives you a chance during the year to simulate playoff action. You prepare for a team, play a game, then react to how you played and what you need to do that next day. You know they’re going to react, so they’ll adjust in their game plan. I look forward to the back-to-back because it does give us a chance to simulate playoff action.”

Goaltenders Marc-Andre Fleury, who will be going for his 300th career win in his next start, and Thomas Greiss will split the weekend.

fractalsteel

Post by fractalsteel » Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:11 pm

I like MJ's take on back to back games and simulation of playoff games for such.
A proactive coach, so refreshing.

MAF with a chance for 300 wins-go get em Flower!

fractalsteel

Post by fractalsteel » Sat Nov 22, 2014 12:46 am

3-2 bad guys after one.

You would think it was entertaining, and it was if you are an Islanders fan. They dominated the first 15+ minutes scoring three times in two minutes. Pens offensive zone time was miserable.
Piss poor change- Martin falling down and Letang giving up position too easily-second line with lousy spacing, all leading to three Islanders goals.
Fleury with a nice save to keep it at one before the end of the period.

Donnie Brasco

Post by Donnie Brasco » Sat Nov 22, 2014 12:55 am

Any link would be appreciated

V DUB

Post by V DUB » Sat Nov 22, 2014 1:54 am

Live link on the official site.

http://penguins.nhl.com/

Edit, NFM, that was extremely short lived being free. Thought they were continuing the free stream of a couple of years ago...guess not.

Legacy User

Post by Legacy User » Sat Nov 22, 2014 2:56 am

Eliminate the first period and we win that game, even though the effort just wasnt there. Thats how good this team is, get a point when we had no business getting a point.

You'd think they wouldve played a little better to get MAF 300

BB was great, as was Hornqvist, everyone else, not so much, Malkin was flyin early, didnt seem to have it late, turning the puck over time after time

I thought we were poor in the shootout as well

fractalsteel

Post by fractalsteel » Sat Nov 22, 2014 2:17 pm

To be down by one after the first period proved to be lucky for the Pens-they were badly outplayed in the first.

Bennett has been pretty good since his return. His fore checking is welcomed and he is strong enough/big enough to create on his own.

I thought the opposite of Malkin- he turned in his library card about half way into the contest and really came on strong through much of the third. I think he was -3 after the fourth goal midway through the second. Then he assisted on the last two Pens goals and setup Hornqvist two other times neatly in the third.

Considering how shitty the first went the point was important.

Legacy User

Post by Legacy User » Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:51 pm

I saw Malkin give the puck away numerous times in the 3rd, his assist to PH was nice though

They better come prepared tonight or they'll get swept, maybe Greiss will fare better than MAF

fractalsteel

Post by fractalsteel » Sat Nov 22, 2014 11:18 pm

Steelforce wrote:They better come prepared tonight or they'll get swept

Yup, or they will get run out this time.

Be nice to get a few PP opportunities tonight.
Crosby has something like 90 points in 47 or so games against the Isle's so I expect him to bust shit up tonight.

Donnie Brasco

Post by Donnie Brasco » Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:05 am

Still hoping for a link if anyone has it

Legacy User

Post by Legacy User » Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:36 am

Nice scrap! Downie was mixing it up on Hamonic.

V DUB

Post by V DUB » Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:12 am

Donnie Brasco wrote:Still hoping for a link if anyone has it

Check your PM, I only give that one to people I trust will trust the people they trust sharing the link with, won't get it shut down.

Legacy User

Post by Legacy User » Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:02 pm

I wasn't able to see more than a period of the two Isles games, but judging by what i've read about them........MJ got the Penguins brand of "playoff hockey" alright. Sounds like he had trouble adjusting to the Isles forecheck, which was killing the breakout.

I hope JR isn't waiting until deadline to make a move (or two).

fractalsteel

Post by fractalsteel » Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:55 pm

Islanders got the better of the Pens back to back.

Hacksaw is right, Kunitz has been bad recently. I'd swap him to the second line, maybe move Hornqvist back or give Bennett a shot.

Legacy User

Post by Legacy User » Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:04 am

I hope the pens make a move or two sooner than later to try to exploit Geno and sids talents instead of constantly playing 3rd and 4th line players with them

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic