April Steelers Mock

Mock drafts, college sports news, college football
tbsteel

April Steelers Mock

Post by tbsteel » Thu Apr 01, 2021 4:37 pm

Two different mocks here on 4/1/21. The first is what I expect the Steelers will do. The second is more how I would attack things.

What the Steelers will do:

1. Travis Etienne, RB, Clemson
2. Pat Freiermuth, TE, Penn State
3. James Hudson, T, Cincinnati
4a. Patrick Johnson, EDGE, Tulane
4b. Drake Jackson, C, Kentucky
6. KJ Britt, LB, Auburn
7a. Avery Williams, CB, Boise State
7b. Naquan Jones, DL, Michigan State

What I would do:

**TRADE: Steelers move down from 1.24 to get 1.31 with the Chiefs to pick up an extra 3rd and a 6th rounder**

1. Zaven Collins, LB, Tulsa
2. Javonte Williams, RB, UNC
3a. Dyami Brown, WR, UNC
3b. Brady Christensen, T, BYU
4a. Tay Gowan, CB, UCF
4b. Robert Hainsey, C, Notre Dame

**TRADE: Steelers trade a 2022 3rd rounder and a 2021 7th to move back into the 4th**

4c. Tre McKitty, TE, Georgia
6a. Tyree Gillespie, S, Missouri
6b. Elerson Smith, EDGE, Northern Iowa
7. Charles Snowden, EDGE, Virginia
Last edited by tbsteel on Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tiny hands, smaller heart.

SteelerDayTrader

Post by SteelerDayTrader » Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:19 pm

1. Travis Etienne, RB, Clemson........hate
2. Pat Freiermuth, TE, Penn State.......hate
3. James Hudson, T, Cincinnati.....meh ?
4a. Patrick Johnson, EDGE, Tulane.......like
4b. Drake Jackson, C, Kentucky ......hate
6. KJ Britt, LB, Auburn.....meh ?
7a. Avery Williams, CB, Boise State.......meh ?
7b. Naquan Jones, DL, Michigan State....like

What I would do:

**TRADE: Steelers move down from 1.24 to get 1.31 with the Chiefs to pick up an extra 3rd and a 6th rounder**

1. Zaven Collins, LB, Tulsa
2. Javonte Williams, RB, UNC
3a. Dyami Brown, WR, UNC
3b. Brady Christensen, T, BYU
4a. Tay Gowan, CB, UCF
4b. Robert Hainsey, C, Notre Dame

TRADE: Steelers trade a 2022 5th rounder and a 2021 7th to move back into the 4th**[/i]

4c. Tre McKitty, TE, Georgia
6a. Tyree Gillespie, S, Missouri
6b. Elerson Smith, EDGE, Northern Iowa
7. Charles Snowden, EDGE, Virginia

lol.......those trade downs arent even close to value realistic......never gonna even get close to that
Last edited by SteelerDayTrader on Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Gorilla Warfare
🦍🦍🦍🏈🏈🦍🦍🦍🦍🏈🏈🏈🦍🦍🦍🦍🦍

bradshaw2ben
Site Admin

Post by bradshaw2ben » Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:24 pm

<TB about to school you on how trade vaule in recent years bears no resemblance to trade value from previous years>

In essence, teams are paying A LOT more to move up to the top 10 and A LOT less to maneuver around in the middle rounds and even the late first, if recent events are the beginning of a trend.
1 20 Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia
2 51 TRADE: Brandon Aiyuk, WR
3 84 Hunter Nourzad, C, Penn State
3× 98 Jarvis Brownlee, Jr., CB, Florida State
4 128 Qwan'tez Stiggers, DB, Toronto Argonauts

tbsteel

Post by tbsteel » Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:08 pm

Probably a little rich on the trade down (I initially had us trading down with Miami to 2.36 and their third), but GD I wanted more picks. :lol:

But it's really not that out of line with recent years:

2016: Seattle traded down from 26 overall to pick up 31 from Denver and a third round pick.
2017: Kansas City traded down from 26 overall to pick up 31 from Atlanta with a third and seventh round pick.
2019: Baltimore traded down from 22 overall to 25 with Philly, picking up a fourth and a sixth rounder.
2019: Seattle traded down 21 overall to 30 with Green Bay and received 2 fourth round picks.

Trading down 7 picks in the first round from 24 to 31? Not that unreasonable to expect a third rounder back. The K.C. deal in 2017 with Atlanta getting a 3rd and 7th from going down from 26 to 31 was the basis for this move. K.C.'s third is barely a top 100 pick, which if you're moving down from our spot, you should be looking to at least get an extra top 100-115 selection.

Edit: I did notice a mistake on the second trade. That should've been a 2022 third, not a fifth. It's basically the Shamarko Thomas trade all over again, which was my thinking behind it (in 2013 we traded a 2014 third round pick with Cleveland to get a 2013 fourth round pick). I believe that was when we were anticipating a 3rd round comp for Mike Wallace in 2014. Similar situation this year with Bud. I can see see us trading a 2022 pick to move up/move around in this year's draft.

Ice

Post by Ice » Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:35 pm

My hopes, prayers, supplications and novenas to any gods who care to listen are for both Etienne and Freiermuth to be gone before 1.24 and 2.55, respectively.
Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile...

Jobu

Post by Jobu » Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:42 pm

Ice wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:35 pm
My hopes, prayers, supplications and novenas to any gods who care to listen are for both Etienne and Freiermuth to be gone before 1.24 and 2.55, respectively.
I’m with you, but my new fear is the Steelers drafting Kellen Mond... :roll:
“Ah, who cares about Seattle’s Space Needle? Dumb looking building, you can see the whole stupid town, built by some jagoff! Pittsburgh got Mt. Warshington, gorgeous hillside, beautiful views of the whole city, built by God…we win!” - Pittsburgh Dad

Ice

Post by Ice » Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:45 pm

Jobu wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:42 pm
Ice wrote:
I'll add it to the mantra, and light a candle. You go ahead and have some of that rum. We can do this.

Jobu

Post by Jobu » Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:49 pm

Ice wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:45 pm
Jobu wrote:
Ice wrote:
I'll add it to the mantra, and light a candle. You go ahead and have some of that rum. We can do this.
Got it! :lol:
“Ah, who cares about Seattle’s Space Needle? Dumb looking building, you can see the whole stupid town, built by some jagoff! Pittsburgh got Mt. Warshington, gorgeous hillside, beautiful views of the whole city, built by God…we win!” - Pittsburgh Dad

tbsteel

Post by tbsteel » Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:49 pm

Jobu wrote:
Ice wrote:
Lol, watch us trade up in the second to draft Mond or Trask. :oops: :oops: :oops:

Jobu

Post by Jobu » Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:50 pm

tbsteel wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:49 pm
Jobu wrote:
Ice wrote:
Lol, watch us trade up in the second to draft Mond or Trask. :oops: :oops: :oops:
And that is exactly what I’m afraid of...

Ice

Post by Ice » Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:13 pm

The Three Who Shall Not Be Named.

fractalsteel

Post by fractalsteel » Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:31 am

Ice wrote:
If either get picked there then stuff gets broken.

Jobu

Post by Jobu » Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:45 am

fractalsteel wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:31 am
Ice wrote:
If either get picked there then stuff gets broken.
Well, it’s my stuff so I’m probably not going to break anything, but...yeah!

steelmann58

Post by steelmann58 » Fri Apr 02, 2021 1:22 am

Steelers need a stud RB and Starting Center and a future LT

K_C_

Post by K_C_ » Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:17 pm

If they draft a fucking RB in the first round, somebody needs to be shot.
“The young girls strut their hips in the sun, from the brick streets of Whiting to the gates of St. John.”

Harvey Woodlawn

jebrick

Post by jebrick » Mon Apr 05, 2021 12:37 pm

K_C_ wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:17 pm
Get your gun out because they have all but signaled a run to the podium for Etienne.
“If you see the handwriting on the wall, you’re in the toilet.”

- Fred Sanford

K_C_

Post by K_C_ » Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:07 pm

jebrick wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 12:37 pm
K_C_ wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:17 pm
Get your gun out because they have all but signaled a run to the podium for Etienne.
Not buying it. I mean, are they dumb enough to run to the podium for Etienne? Sure, but there are simply too many good backs in this draft to grab one in the first round.

I know everybody has them taking a tackle or a RB at #1, but I believe they're targeting a pass rusher.

They saw what happened when Dupree went down, no matter how well Highsmith acquitted himself. That defense absolutely fell apart.

There is zero depth at OLB, probably the second most important position on the team, after QB.

They will need an instant infusion of pressure next season. They'll need a Kendrell Bell sort of rookie season from someone, be he an ILB or a OLB, for this defense to get to where it needs to be once again.

We need plenty of help on the offensive end, but the Steelers seem to always value defense more.

That's why I expect an OLB at #24.
“The young girls strut their hips in the sun, from the brick streets of Whiting to the gates of St. John.”

Harvey Woodlawn

jebrick

Post by jebrick » Mon Apr 05, 2021 5:07 pm

With how the center class is ( very weak) it would be in their best interest to trade back. Colbert loves those 5th round options so that is not happening. I think you are going to be very disappointed in the Steeler pick.
“If you see the handwriting on the wall, you’re in the toilet.”

- Fred Sanford

bradshaw2ben
Site Admin

Post by bradshaw2ben » Mon Apr 05, 2021 5:39 pm

@K_C_ the trouble with taking OLB at 24 is that none of the expected top edge rushers fits the bill.

Oweh might work out someday, but he’s further away than Bud Dupree was when he came out. Rousseau-Phillips-Paye... none of those guys will be a successful 3-4 OLB.

Joseph Ossai is the closest in my eye and he’s seen as a 2nd round pick. Milton Williams I’m 💯 could be great, but he’s have some learning curve too. Rashad Weaver is probably the closest and where does he get picked ? 3rd round? 4th?

It’s not a star-studded can’t miss EDGE class.

K_C_

Post by K_C_ » Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:14 pm

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 5:39 pm
@K_C_ the trouble with taking OLB at 24 is that none of the expected top edge rushers fits the bill.

Oweh might work out someday, but he’s further away than Bud Dupree was when he came out. Rousseau-Phillips-Paye... none of those guys will be a successful 3-4 OLB.

Joseph Ossai is the closest in my eye and he’s seen as a 2nd round pick. Milton Williams I’m 💯 could be great, but he’s have some learning curve too. Rashad Weaver is probably the closest and where does he get picked ? 3rd round? 4th?

I doubt it would take Oweh longer than Dupree to become an impact player with Watt on the other side, but who knows. What I do know is that the Steelers cannot stand pat with Watt and Highsmith on the outside. They need another pass rusher in the fold who can make a contribution from day one, if necessary. Oweh, who has a LIGHTNING ASS QUICK first step, could push Highsmith right away. If Ossai is better, I hope they go get him but if pass rusher isn't the guy in round one, if damn well better be Teven Jenkins or another tackle. A center possibly if they can trade down.

.....but I will put my fist through the TV if they take a RB in round one.

Harvey Woodlawn

bradshaw2ben
Site Admin

Post by bradshaw2ben » Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:28 pm

K_C_ wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:14 pm
bradshaw2ben wrote:

I doubt it would take Oweh longer than Dupree to become an impact player with Watt on the other side, but who knows. What I do know is that the Steelers cannot stand pat with Watt and Highsmith on the outside. They need another pass rusher in the fold who can make a contribution from day one, if necessary. Oweh, who has a LIGHTNING ASS QUICK first step, could push Highsmith right away. If Ossai is better, I hope they go get him but if pass rusher isn't the guy in round one, if damn well better be Teven Jenkins or another tackle. A center possibly if they can trade down.

Oweh has an amazing first step and is a great athlete.. but he's kind of slow-processing and behind as a football player. He is also not as good an athlete as Dupree was and playing a lesser LOC. Things to keep in mind.

I agree, though, that an elite OLB2 would help matters and even if no worse than quality OLB3, way better than a 1st round RB. Picking RBs in Rd 1 is the kind of thing bad teams do to remain bad but not get any worse.

Jobu

Post by Jobu » Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:50 pm

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:28 pm
K_C_ wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:14 pm
bradshaw2ben wrote:

Oweh has an amazing first step and is a great athlete.. but he's kind of slow-processing and behind as a football player. He is also not as good an athlete as Dupree was and playing a lesser LOC. Things to keep in mind.

I agree, though, that an elite OLB2 would help matters and even if no worse than quality OLB3, way better than a 1st round RB. Picking RBs in Rd 1 is the kind of thing bad teams do to remain bad but not get any worse.
:lol: If Harris or Etienne are available at 24... :lol: (Get ready...it’s gonna happen)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic