Malik Willis ain't it

Mock drafts, college sports news, college football
tbsteel

Malik Willis ain't it

Post by tbsteel » Sat Sep 25, 2021 2:09 pm

Watched Malik Willis last night, just some quick thoughts:

-- Nice touch on his deep throws. However, there were some throws he had to the outside boundary that I was surprised by the lack of zip though since I thought he had a huge arm. There was a throw or two I can remember thinking if he threw that in the NFL it's either a pick six or he just got his WR lit up for throws across the field. Looks like he doesn't get his lower body in his throws, which would be a death sentence in the NFL.

-- Impressive athlete and build. The man enjoys leg day, that's for sure. I don't think he's a game-changing athlete at the NFL level though.

-- He panics in the pocket and has awful pocket presence. He can't keep his eyes downfield and his footwork goes to shit immediately. Was really bummed about how he handled pressure.

We talk about looking at what a QB does when things don't go to plan, or their ability to make plays and their decision making in the face of pressure. I was not impressed. Hard pass on Willis being anything more than a project as a backup.

Tiny hands, smaller heart.

steelmann58

Post by steelmann58 » Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:14 am

Rather have Carson Strong

Greeksteel

Post by Greeksteel » Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:46 pm

steelmann58 wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:14 am
Rather have Carson Strong
or Des Ridder

smithessmokin

Post by smithessmokin » Fri Oct 01, 2021 3:27 am

Rather have Matt Corral, but he's already outplayed where the Steelers will be drafting.

Ice

Post by Ice » Fri Oct 01, 2021 12:51 pm

smithessmokin wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 3:27 am
Rather have Matt Corral, but he's already outplayed where the Steelers will be drafting.
Well, Jax and Jets won't be going QB, and maybe the Gints stick with Danny Jones... leaves us in potentially pretty decent position, based on results so far and season schedule.
Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile...

jebrick

Post by jebrick » Fri Oct 01, 2021 1:18 pm

smithessmokin wrote:
Corral might be the 2nd or 3rd QB taken. Many teams will have a hard time overcoming his height (6'0)
“If you see the handwriting on the wall, you’re in the toilet.”

- Fred Sanford

Jobu

Post by Jobu » Fri Oct 01, 2021 3:40 pm

Ice wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 12:51 pm
smithessmokin wrote:
Well, Jax and Jets won't be going QB, and maybe the Gints stick with Danny Jones... leaves us in potentially pretty decent position, based on results so far and season schedule.
I know they won’t do it, but if I’m the Jets, I move on from Wilson. He’s fucking awful!

And acknowledging it’s a long season ahead, I can’t right now suggest that any player has outplayed where the Steelers will be drafting.
“Ah, who cares about Seattle’s Space Needle? Dumb looking building, you can see the whole stupid town, built by some jag off! Pittsburgh got Mt. Warshington, gorgeous hillside, beautiful views of the whole city, built by God…we win!” - Pittsburgh Dad

K_C_

Post by K_C_ » Fri Oct 01, 2021 4:52 pm

Jobu wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 3:40 pm
Ice wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 12:51 pm
smithessmokin wrote:
I know they won’t do it, but if I’m the Jets, I move on from Wilson. He’s fucking awful!

And acknowledging it’s a long season ahead, I can’t right now suggest that any player has outplayed where the Steelers will be drafting.
Zach Wilson has played what, 4 games so far? C'mon, lots of young QB's struggle their asses off once they hit the NFL. Wilson is on a bad team and a bad organization. He has a lot to figure out but raw skill wise, dude is unfuckingbelievable. ZERO POINT ZERO chance they move on him.

The way this season is heading the Steelers will most certainly have a great shot at their next (hopefully) franchise QB.
“The young girls strut their hips in the sun, from the brick streets of Whiting to the gates of St. John.”

Harvey Woodlawn

jebrick

Post by jebrick » Fri Oct 01, 2021 5:18 pm

I think Strong is QB1 in this draft. Willis and Corral are 2a and 2b. Rattler and Ridder have only hurt their stock. Howell is in free fall. J.T. Daniels was/is horrific. The other Daniels, Jayden, has struggled.

I have not watched Shough this year.

Prudy and Penlix has shown shit

I think Slovis has lost his job to a freshman.

Emory Jones has looked decent in tough games but nothing to move him into the 1st round
Cole Kelly is a Ben clone if you are looking for a pocket passer.
Aqeel Glass ( Alabama A&M) has gotten some press but I do not see the arm strength needed for the NFL.

I think, at most, there are 4 QBs taken in the 1st. I can only see 3 at this point but Rattler has a good PR rep.

- Fred Sanford

bradshaw2ben
Site Admin

Post by bradshaw2ben » Wed Oct 06, 2021 3:20 pm

jebrick wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 5:18 pm
I think Strong is QB1 in this draft. Willis and Corral are 2a and 2b. Rattler and Ridder have only hurt their stock. Howell is in free fall. J.T. Daniels was/is horrific. The other Daniels, Jayden, has struggled.

I have not watched Shough this year.

Prudy and Penlix has shown shit

I think Slovis has lost his job to a freshman.

Emory Jones has looked decent in tough games but nothing to move him into the 1st round
Cole Kelly is a Ben clone if you are looking for a pocket passer.
Aqeel Glass ( Alabama A&M) has gotten some press but I do not see the arm strength needed for the NFL.

I think, at most, there are 4 QBs taken in the 1st. I can only see 3 at this point but Rattler has a good PR rep.
I think Glass has more arm strength than Strong. Swap teams and Strong is an afterthought, Glass puts up big numbers with that receiving corps in Reno.

I know you wrote this before the weekend, but Ridder played his ass off in the ND win. He was lackluster for the first month but he has tools when it comes together. Corral is small, has a mediocre arm, living off his great receivers and his running ability.

I maintain that Willis, for his flaws, is the safest bet, has a true NFL arm, has excellent mobility/running skills, and is therefore QB1. Desmond Ridder would be next for me, although his inconsistency is troubling for where he will go in the draft.
Next I'd say the top FCS guys are better than anyone else right now. Setting aside the upside of a guy like Levis (who is nowhere near ready to play right now), I'll take Kelley, Barriere (despite his size), McCall, Glass, and Strong.
1 20 Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia
2 51 TRADE: Brandon Aiyuk, WR
3 84 Hunter Nourzad, C, Penn State
3× 98 Jarvis Brownlee, Jr., CB, Florida State
4 128 Qwan'tez Stiggers, DB, Toronto Argonauts

SteelerDayTrader

Post by SteelerDayTrader » Thu Oct 07, 2021 2:45 am

If I was building a team in 2022 I would focus on running capable QBs

I think you get good backups along with a good starter focusing on Lamar Jackson / Taysom Hill types. Particularly in later rounds for backups

I think I might carry 4 QBs

I’d also look to run more 2 TE sets

I think Willis is gonna fall on draft day

If the Steelers pass in the 2nd I will be pissed
Colts Draft 2024
1 Terrion Arnold DB
2 T’Vondre Sweat DL
3 Isaac Guerendo RB/WR
4 Tykee Smith DB
5 Ainias Smith WR/RB
6 KT Leveston OL
7 Ulumoo Ale DL/OL

Gorilla Warfare

🦍🦍🦍🏈🏈🦍🦍🦍🦍🏈🏈🏈🦍🦍🦍🦍🦍

jebrick

Post by jebrick » Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:55 am

Ridder impressed me with his arm strength. He has accuracy issues that may be correctable.

- Fred Sanford

bradshaw2ben
Site Admin

Post by bradshaw2ben » Thu Oct 07, 2021 10:47 pm

:P
jebrick wrote:
Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:55 am
Ridder impressed me with his arm strength. He has accuracy issues that may be correctable.
He has a hitch in his delivery that he appears to be working on, but sometimes he reverts to the hitch and accuracy goes awry.
4 128 Qwan'tez Stiggers, DB, Toronto Argonauts

jebrick

Post by jebrick » Fri Oct 08, 2021 1:04 am

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Thu Oct 07, 2021 10:47 pm
jebrick wrote:
He has a hitch in his delivery that he appears to be working on, but sometimes he reverts to the hitch and accuracy goes awry.
Thus the Leftwich comparison.

- Fred Sanford

bradshaw2ben
Site Admin

Post by bradshaw2ben » Fri Oct 08, 2021 4:08 pm

jebrick wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 1:04 am
bradshaw2ben wrote:
Thu Oct 07, 2021 10:47 pm
jebrick wrote:
Thus the Leftwich comparison.
Exactly, although his toughness and leadership fit that comp, too.

If I am disregarding floor or how developed QBs are right now, and just ranking on highest ceiling in the NFL:
Levis
McCall
Willis
Rattler
Barriere
Kelley
Haener
Corral