Centers

Mock drafts, college sports news, college football
Steeldrama

Centers

Post by Steeldrama » Fri Feb 02, 2024 7:00 pm

Ok draft fans.

We all know the Steelers rich tradition at the center position.

Some great ones

Webby, Dirt, the Ranger, Hartings, and Pouncey.

Some not great ones

Hartwig, Greene, and our current scrub Mason Cole

And then there is the center we SHOULD already have

ALL PRO Creed Humprhey (MUUUUUUUTH)
So dumb

Anyway, Until the next franchise qb is found (please lord don’t let it be another quarter century), I endorse the premise to build strong lines on both sides of the ball so said franchise qb isn’t walking into an unprotected wasteland of shit.

Coaching another layer of shit with Uncle Artie, Pat Meyer, and the attrition warlord that is Michael Pettaway Tomlin.

So the Steelers offensive line needs some building blocks.
MAYBE Broderick Jones is one.

Do you see any viable options at center this offseason that scream building block OR the Steelers’ next great one at center?

IDK but it’s a pretty damn important position.

The Steelers are kinda weak up the middle of their entire team.

Benton showed flashes, but only played 43% of the snaps.
Minkah’s health has fallen off a cliff.

Brick by brick my citizens

Let’s talk center options:

Free agency:

I’ve previously thrown out two names:

Lloyd Cushenberry – Broncos

Andre James- Raiders

- Neither a Jeff Hartings like free agent, but either would upgrade Cole until the next young stud Steeler center is found.

Others:

Tyler Biadasz- Cowboys- Steelers dig them some Badgers

Connor Williams Dolphins- Former Cowboy OG suffered late season ACL tear. Even on one leg he’s better than Mason Cole.

Aaron Brewer of the Titans might be a name Arthur knows from his days in glorious Nashville, TN

Kyren Williams of the Rams ran well behind a guy named Coleman Shelton (and yes, Kevin Dotson).

The Draft:

Assuming they ignore the free agent route, most of us appear in agreement that the Steelers will use a very early pick on a center.

Some names if you will:

Jackson Powers Johnson 6’3 334 Oregon-Big Bertha. Senior Bowl standout. Steelers have met with him

Zach Frazier 6’3 314 West Virginia- Sitting out Senior Bowl with fractured fibula. Dig the wrestling background. Steelers have met with him.

Sedrick Van Pran 6’4 310 Georgia- Skipped senior bowl. I’m assuming hes injured. Might be in for a slide.

Hunter Nourzad 6’3 314 Penn St- Former Ivy Leaguer dominated Shrine Week.

Now we’re getting into a tier that might need to develop behind a vet signing:

Beau Limmer 6’4 301 Arkansas- Saw him stymie big bad Trevondre Sweat on day 1. Then saw Sweat get his payback against ol Limmer on day 2. I’ll reluctantly watch day 3 later. NFL Network needs a major overhaul (ESPN taking it over???)

Tanor Bortolini 6’4 305 Wisconsin- Pisano pick for me. Yep. Steelers do so dig them some Badgers.

Charles Turner III 6’3 300 LSU- Saw him on a couple riser lists apparently moves well.

Andrew Raym 6’4 315 Oklahoma- Day 3 flier type could take after drafting his towering teammate rd 1.

Jalen Sundell 6’5 300 North Dakota St- No clue if he can play. I just root for the Dakotas and Montanas

Conversion Projects

Graham Barton 6’5 315 OT Duke – Dig him. BUT Do we trust Tomlin with another conversion project? Kendrick Greene turned out oh so well, but hey we still get to yell MUUUUUUUUTH! Fun times.

Dominic Puni 6’4 323 OT Kansas- Jayhawk dominated down in Mobile. Dig him too.

Christian Hayes 6’2 318 OG Uconn- Saw him get whipped by McKinnley Jackson more than once but kid is scrappy. Had helmet ripped off his head after battle with LSU’s Jordan Jefferson.

Christian Mahogany 6’3 322 OG Boston College- BC always churns out stud linemen. Big powerful dude dominated at both OG and OC Shrine Week

KT Leveston 6’5 330 OT Kansas St- BIG ‘sum bitch played some OC during Shrine week.

Mason McCormick 6’5 315 OG South Dakota St- “STOP WITH THE JACKRABBITS!” I can’t. I won’t.

Well, that’s all I have time for today. Please comment on the players you like and those you don’t. If I omitted someone y’all like whether a UFA or rookie stud by all means share.

Nick Markakis on Astros: "Every guy over there needs a beating."

cop1211

Post by cop1211 » Sat Feb 03, 2024 1:04 am

It appears that if the Steelers want JPJ, they’ll have to take him in the first. I would be fine with that but preferably in a trade down down, same if they want to go Frazier or Van Pran in the second round, trade down and get an extra 4th.

1.OC JPJ
2.CB Tampa
3a.WR Corley
3b.OT Fisher
4a.DE Fiske
4b.DT Carter
Free agents added:SS and slot CB

1.OT Mims
2.OC Van Pran
3.WR Persall
4a.CB Abrams Draine
4b.DL Davis
4c.SS Hicks
Free agents added: DE and outside CB.

SteelerDayTrader

Post by SteelerDayTrader » Sat Feb 03, 2024 3:34 pm

Wait til next year

Why reach when you have WAY MORE holes than you can fil in 2 drafts ??

1. Arnold
2 Sweat
3 Allen
Gorilla Warfare
🦍🦍🦍🏈🏈🦍🦍🦍🦍🏈🏈🏈🦍🦍🦍🦍🦍

ol skool

Post by ol skool » Sat Feb 03, 2024 6:09 pm

SteelerDayTrader wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2024 3:34 pm
Wait til next year

Why reach when you have WAY MORE holes than you can fil in 2 drafts ??

1. Arnold
2 Sweat
3 Allen
Who is the Center worthy of an early pick coming out next year?

If there isn't one, what 2025 UFA or trade target do you have in mind?

And in the meantime, do we trot out Cole again? Or do we switch Daniels, Herbig or Anderson to Center?

cop1211

Post by cop1211 » Sat Feb 03, 2024 7:36 pm

They can’t wait till next year for a center and a RT.
Pickett gets an Oline, new OC, and one year of no excuses to prove it or not. If he does that’s best case scenario, if not at least you have the Oline set for the next QB, be it a rookie or a free agent.

bradshaw2ben
Site Admin

Post by bradshaw2ben » Wed Feb 07, 2024 3:33 pm

cop1211 wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2024 7:36 pm
They can’t wait till next year for a center and a RT.
Pickett gets an Oline, new OC, and one year of no excuses to prove it or not. If he does that’s best case scenario, if not at least you have the Oline set for the next QB, be it a rookie or a free agent.
I wouldn't make any decisions built around KP. He's done. D-U-N. Dunzo.

However, the only logical strategy for this team is to build everything BUT QB to the maximum possible-- get it all working or find out it doesn't work before next year when some quality QB prospects all hit the draft. You have to be ready to start that cheap QB contract window with all your wheels on the ground or it will take too long, especially for the expensive pieces you already have like TJ & Minkah.

OL
DL
CB

above everything else. Period. Doesn't have to be your first three picks but they could pick only OL/DL/CB with all 7 picks and I'd have no complaints.

chopski

Post by chopski » Wed Feb 28, 2024 10:18 am

Intrigued by Nourzad, guy is getting no buzz at all.
just watched this short cut up vs Illinois https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRwNw7oOQtw handled Newton pretty well, and gets to the second level a lot. would not mind him at all if we miss the top 3 centers

jebrick

Post by jebrick » Fri Mar 08, 2024 2:31 am

Zack Frazier in for a official visit
“If you see the handwriting on the wall, you’re in the toilet.”

- Fred Sanford

Charles Demarr

Post by Charles Demarr » Fri Mar 08, 2024 2:12 pm

jebrick wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2024 2:31 am
Frazier is the guy I could see them trading one of their fourth rounders to move up in the 2nd to get him.

SteelerDayTrader

Post by SteelerDayTrader » Sun Mar 10, 2024 9:49 pm

Charles Demarr wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2024 2:12 pm
jebrick wrote:
Frazier is the guy I could see them trading one of their fourth rounders to move up in the 2nd to get him.
Disaster if that happens
Gorilla Warfare
🦍🦍🦍🏈🏈🦍🦍🦍🦍🏈🏈🏈🦍🦍🦍🦍🦍

bradshaw2ben
Site Admin

Post by bradshaw2ben » Mon Mar 11, 2024 12:31 am

Charles Demarr wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2024 2:12 pm
jebrick wrote:
I think he goes late 1st, so them picking him at 20 isn't an impossibility.

cop1211

Post by cop1211 » Mon Mar 11, 2024 1:00 am

Id rather go RT in the first, then trade down in the second and go OC Van Pran and an extra 4th round pick.

Steeldrama

Post by Steeldrama » Mon Mar 11, 2024 12:21 pm

Raiders re-signed C Andre James to a three-year, $24 million contract.
James, who will get $16 million in guaranteed money, has spent his entire five-year career with the Raiders, starting each of the last 48 games he’s appeared in. The former UDFA made the team in 2019 and worked his way into the starting lineup in 2021. In 16 games last season, James appeared on 963 offensive snaps and earned a PFF blocking grade of 74.6 — a career-high.
One FA center off the market

Gives an idea of the going rate for an average NFL center.

Steeldrama

Post by Steeldrama » Mon Mar 11, 2024 1:02 pm

NFL Network’s Mike Garafolo reports the Jaguars and C Mitch Morse have agreed to a two-year, $10.5 million contract.
Mitch was a cap casualty of the Bills last week but has already found a new home in Jacksonville. The veteran center has $7 million in guaranteed money coming his way and now has a chance to reunite with Doug Pederson, who was his former offensive coordinator in Kansas City. Morse started all 17 games for the Bills last season and was graded as the No. 20 center in the league per Pro Football Focus.
And another center off the market, one they let skip town no less.

Hope YOUR Steelers have some sort of plan here.

The draft may indeed be their preferred option.

Steeldrama

Post by Steeldrama » Mon Mar 11, 2024 3:29 pm

Eagles signed OG Landon Dickerson to a four-year, $84 million contract extension.
Dickerson at $21 million per year, is now the highest-paid guard in NFL history, and is under contract through 2027. The former second-round pick has made two Pro Bowls in his first three seasons while starting 46 of the 47 games he’s appeared in. Amongst guards with at least 1,000 snaps last season, Dickerson graded as the 11th best guard in the league, earning a PFF blocking grade of 70.0. He started 15 games for the Eagles at left guard in 2023 and also drew a start at center in the Week 18 finale.
My guy Dickerson now the highest paid guard in NFL history.

My hope is that either he or Cam Jurgens takes over the starting OC spot in Philly leaving another center in the draft for the Steelers to choose from.

Ice

Post by Ice » Mon Mar 11, 2024 3:45 pm

Jurgens has been the heir apparent around here since last offseason. The Birds are crazy good at piling up O-line depth.

I dig Frazier for us. The leverage background especially. Carlton Haselrig had it. For Frazier specifically, some probably will say he lacks sand in the pants, but Alex Mack and Pouncey kinda did, too, and had successful AFCN tenures.
Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile...

bradshaw2ben
Site Admin

Post by bradshaw2ben » Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:44 pm

Ice wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2024 3:45 pm
Jurgens has been the heir apparent around here since last offseason. The Birds are crazy good at piling up O-line depth.

I dig Frazier for us. The leverage background especially. Carlton Haselrig had it. For Frazier specifically, some probably will say he lacks sand in the pants, but Alex Mack and Pouncey kinda did, too, and had successful AFCN tenures.
Don't be surprised if the Steelers pick more OL & DL in this draft class than expected.

jebrick

Post by jebrick » Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:44 pm

Ice wrote:

As long as a center can learn to reset vs the rush, he will do fine.

- Fred Sanford

Ice

Post by Ice » Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:55 pm

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:44 pm
Ice wrote:

Don't be surprised if the Steelers pick more OL & DL in this draft class than expected.
As an Iggles observer for a while now, if they're listening to Weidl, it's their way, and it's not a bad one. TN and ATL with Smith put together some pretty good OLs, too.

Steeldrama

Post by Steeldrama » Mon Mar 11, 2024 5:44 pm

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootba ... ith-titans

Russ Wilson's former center, Lloyd Cushenberry, signs with Tony Pollard and the Titans.

They're signing fast.

Steelers doing their normal easing into free agency.

Yep, hope the Steelers find a good one in the draft

Steeldrama

Post by Steeldrama » Mon Mar 11, 2024 6:04 pm

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootba ... commanders

...and another one gone, and another one gone, another one bites the dust

Tyler Biadasz is a Redskin

Maybe someone should've told the Steelers free agency technically starts today not Wednesday

Stillchest

Post by Stillchest » Tue Mar 12, 2024 5:18 am

Steeldrama wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2024 6:04 pm
https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootba ... commanders

...and another one gone, and another one gone, another one bites the dust

Tyler Biadasz is a Redskin

Maybe someone should've told the Steelers free agency technically starts today not Wednesday
Yep.

They're painting themselves into a draft day "need."

I absolutely, dislike this organization.

Steeldrama

Post by Steeldrama » Tue Mar 12, 2024 11:28 am

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootba ... ron-brewer

And the Dolphins sign former Titan Aaron Brewer.

Means they're not signing Connor Williams he of the torn ACL

Yep Steelers drafting a center early.

Book it, Dano

Jobu

Post by Jobu » Tue Mar 12, 2024 2:42 pm

Steeldrama wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2024 11:28 am
https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootba ... ron-brewer

And the Dolphins sign former Titan Aaron Brewer.

Means they're not signing Connor Williams he of the torn ACL

Yep Steelers drafting a center early.

Book it, Dano
Not just early. They’re going center in the first, and that’s not a bad thing.
1st Center
2nd WR
3rd ILB
Is my prediction.
“Ah, who cares about Seattle’s Space Needle? Dumb looking building, you can see the whole stupid town, built by some jagoff! Pittsburgh got Mt. Warshington, gorgeous hillside, beautiful views of the whole city, built by God…we win!” - Pittsburgh Dad

jebrick

Post by jebrick » Tue Mar 12, 2024 3:02 pm

Are they planning on moving Daniels to center?

- Fred Sanford

Steeldrama

Post by Steeldrama » Tue Mar 12, 2024 3:21 pm

jebrick wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2024 3:02 pm
I haven't read that anywhere, but I did see B2B mention that possibility.

I get that blocking schemes differ, but as bad as Cole played last year I would've thought they would've at least given Daniels a try there and moved Herbig to RG.

What would've been the harm in trying?

Kenny would've been under more pressure?

Najee would've ran up the back of the wrong ass?

IDK, I find Tomlin and Meyer maddening with their refusal to play linemen where they're best suited.

Do they even have a clue if Daniels is a better center than a RG?

Did they know that Kevin Dotson is a better LG than a RG?

Do they know that Broderick Jones is a better LT than RT??

Doubtful.

Anyway, passing on nearly every viable FA center, I think it's pretty clear they've tipped their hand.

I'll be pleasantly surprised if they come up with alternative solutions to the gaping hole at center, but I think youre looking at that being their 1st or at worst 2nd round pick.

bradshaw2ben
Site Admin

Post by bradshaw2ben » Tue Mar 12, 2024 3:41 pm

Steeldrama wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2024 3:21 pm
jebrick wrote:

I get that blocking schemes differ, but as bad as Cole played last year I would've thought they would've at least given Daniels a try there and moved Herbig to RG.

IDK, I find Tomlin and Meyer maddening with their refusal to play linemen where they're best suited.

Doubtful.

Anyway, passing on nearly every viable FA center, I think it's pretty clear they've tipped their hand.

I'll be pleasantly surprised if they come up with alternative solutions to the gaping hole at center, but I think youre looking at that being their 1st or at worst 2nd round pick.
I was only,pointing out they have multiple guys who can and have played center, so it isn’t like they have some gaping hole that can’t be filled. When Daniel’s came out I think it was Zeirlein who said he was “a perfect fit as a center for an outside zone team.”

PIT was doing that last year but now they are. Maybe it makes sense to find a great guard, or better yet, a very good IOL who can play C or G and let the best 5 play.

jebrick

Post by jebrick » Tue Mar 12, 2024 4:17 pm

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2024 3:41 pm
Steeldrama wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2024 3:21 pm
jebrick wrote:

Doubtful.

I was only,pointing out they have multiple guys who can and have played center, so it isn’t like they have some gaping hole that can’t be filled. When Daniel’s came out I think it was Zeirlein who said he was “a perfect fit as a center for an outside zone team.”

PIT was doing that last year but now they are. Maybe it makes sense to find a great guard, or better yet, a very good IOL who can play C or G and let the best 5 play.
so you might see them take Zinter(Mich) or the Duke OT/IOL. STD will remember his name.

- Fred Sanford

Ice

Post by Ice » Tue Mar 12, 2024 5:46 pm

Andre James from Oakland still available?

Steeldrama

Post by Steeldrama » Tue Mar 12, 2024 6:02 pm

Ice wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2024 5:46 pm
Andre James from Oakland still available?
Nope

Re-signed yesterday with the Raiduhs

The FA market for centers is pretty dried up

Mitch Morse the only center I even read they took a meetin with

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic