Linebacker

Mock drafts, college sports news, college football
Steeldrama

Linebacker

Post by Steeldrama » Tue Feb 13, 2024 3:22 pm

Our beloved Pittsburgh Steelers have had some shit luck at the inside linebacker position of late.

Shazier’s paralysis

Sean Spence’s shredded knee.

The Tombert dumbfuckery of trading up for Devin Bush.

Then this year’s MASH unit headlined by the Cole Holcomb and Kwan Alexander season enders.

I’m a linebacker guy.

That was always my position of interest.

Run the ball.
Stop the run.

Slobberknocker football.

I’d say inside linebacker probably trending toward the running back position in terms of NFL value but watching the Super Bowl I think I’d beg myself to differ.

Fred Warner, Dre Greenlaw, Nick Bolton, LEO CHANEL (Every once in a while I get one right)

I’ve been pining for years for the Steelers to abandon their penny pitching, hole filling approach to free agency.

BUT

The Steelers roster being as bereft of talent as it is, I can’t say this is necessarily the year to open up the purse strings.

Build through the draft.

PROCURE A FRANCHISE QB

THEN

Sign one or two A+ rated free agents

Sadly, we’re stuck in this perpetual world of saving NHALS so I’m quite sure we’re looking at….

STATUS

QUO

Still, I can’t just ignore my once favorite position on the football field.

With roster holes everywhere and limited draft capital, the Steelers might have to yet again dip into free agent waters to solidify a once traditionally great position.

Just some UFA names your Steelers MAY (not) consider:

Jordyn Brooks Seahawks- Aaron Curry/Seattle connection. Stat sheet filler when healthy.
Patrick Queen Rats- Became the Robin to Roquan’s Batman. Poach from the rival Ravens.
Frankie Luvu Panthers- Not a household name but an explosive player. All over the field type.
Azeez Al-Shaair Titans- Bless you. Thank you. Cheaper option I wanted last year. Speedy playmaker.
Andrew Van Ginkel Dolphins- Steelers dig Wisconsin defenders. Jack of all trades type.
Willie Gay Chiefs- Athletic backer. Strong personality Tomlin might gravitate towards
Tyrel Dodson-Bills- Backup filled in admirably for Matt Milano.

I prefer to build through the draft, BUT limited capital as per usual.

Combine and Tomlin’s dinner dates pending:

Edgerrin Cooper- Fast Aggie can run and hit. Lotta buzz here.
Trevin Wallace UK- NFL.com guy Chad Reuter(?) Mocked him rd 1 to the Steelers. Ummm no.
Junior Colson Michigan- National Chompion. 6’3 247 is what jumps out at me.
Jeremiah Trotter Jr Clemson- Tomlin and his NFL bloodlines
Cedric Gray UNC- Senior Bowl standout
Payton Wilson NCST- Injury history but tackling machine type
Jaylan Ford Texas- Cleaned up behind stud Texas DT’s.
Tommy Eichenberg Ohio St- Tomlin hasn’t poached from his farm team lately.
• The rest I’ll leave up to y'all and B2B who once again has his work cut out for him drafting for our beloved Steelers.

Thanks as always for reading. Please comment on the players you like and those you don’t. Just passing the time until the combine. What will the inside linebacker position look like? Mark Robinson have any upside? Is Cole Holcomb coming back? healthy? Personally, I cut bait and start from scratch at this position, but Steelers will no doubt hole fill with names I didn’t bother to list in the name of NHALS.

Nick Markakis on Astros: "Every guy over there needs a beating."

SteelerDayTrader

Post by SteelerDayTrader » Tue Feb 13, 2024 5:36 pm

Elandon Roberts
Cole Holcomb
Kwon Alexander

All played pretty well

1 or 2 others weren’t bad

Truthfully ILB might the least needy position on the team

The only way I look to add at ILB is if a Shazier type player was in the draft and I don’t see that

In FA the Steelers aren’t going to put the money on the table to grab a Shazier type

I will be pissed if the Steelers add to ILB this year
Gorilla Warfare
🦍🦍🦍🏈🏈🦍🦍🦍🦍🏈🏈🏈🦍🦍🦍🦍🦍

bradshaw2ben
Site Admin

Post by bradshaw2ben » Tue Feb 13, 2024 9:50 pm

That UFA list looks like a list of "guys I like in the draft". Some good names, although I agree that some combination of the best of last year's Steelers' ILBs would be not shabby.
1 20 Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia
2 51 TRADE: Brandon Aiyuk, WR
3 84 Hunter Nourzad, C, Penn State
3× 98 Jarvis Brownlee, Jr., CB, Florida State
4 128 Qwan'tez Stiggers, DB, Toronto Argonauts

smithessmokin

Post by smithessmokin » Wed Feb 21, 2024 3:45 pm

All depends on what the Steelers think they need at LB. Lots of good players, but do fill they find someone in the run stopping mold or the coverage backer they actually need?

Mick

Post by Mick » Fri Feb 23, 2024 4:06 pm

With both holcomb/roberts under vet contracts this fall, we won’t sign any FA for more than maybe $1.5-2M. Probably less.

Could draft for it very aggressively though, as the 2025 roster needs ILB (and 2024 needs help especially early pending Holcomb’s recovery).

Steel Bingo

Post by Steel Bingo » Fri Feb 23, 2024 9:19 pm

Elandon Roberts was a fantastic FA signing this past season. Hope he is back at full strength for ’24.

If the Steelers had the 2019 DL of Heyward, Tuitt and Hargrave then Cooper, Colson, Wilson or Trotter, Jr. could start Day 1 and not ever look back.

In his final press conference Tomlin said Cole Holcomb had a target return date, but did not disclose anything further.

Tyrel Dodson would be an upgrade over Myles Jack / Kwon Alexander / Mykal Walker. He likely wants to sign somewhere that he can be the starter. Pittsburgh?

steelmann58

Post by steelmann58 » Sun Feb 25, 2024 5:42 am

Think the Steelers will add both Fa and in the draft

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic