Post by Steeldrama » Thu Feb 15, 2024 3:15 pm

My guy Minkah

All alone back there

Battered

And

Bruised

Hold that thought

I’m a closet Cowherd viewer.

I don’t watch every recorded episode to conclusion, but I have it on while I’m reading or writing about all things football toward the end of my evening.

I tried watching Nick Wright, but that show is just too loud.

They all are

STFU!!!!
STFU!!!!

I just want quiet at the end of my evening.

Anyway, I usually respect the amount of thought Cowherd puts into his takes even if I don’t always agree with them.

But man, he lost me when he said the Steelers have a loaded, Super Bowl caliber roster and are only missing a quarterback.

Huh???

So then in nearly the next sentence Cowherd states the Steelers have the 6th longest odds of winning the Super Bowl and Vegas is NEVER wrong on these things.

So now I’m all like DUDE, doesn’t that tell you the Steelers have A LOT more issues than just quarterback???

Shit yeah they do.

Back to Minkah and the wasteland of utter dogshit that is the Steelers’ secondary.

I’m not going to call it as bad as the Harvey Clayton, Sam Washington, Lupe Sanchez year of ’86 but it’s not too far behind.

Holy slow.

Some speed?

Some playmaking ability?

I’d love an ’87 draft of Woodson, Beltin’ Delton, and the Missile to turn a weakness into a strength, but with soooo many deficiencies on this roster I can only hope this unit isn’t ignored or simply bandaided with more uninspired, dime store, free agent signings.

Before falling asleep at the wheel, Kevin Colbert made a few quality free agent signings. One of them being Ryan Clark.

Steelers could use a quality addition like that right about now.

Unlike the OL, there are some quality names at the safety position:

Antoine Winfield Jr Bucs- You scoff? Tomlin coached senior in Minnesota. That whole NFL bloodlines thing.
Kamren Curl Skins- This one I like. Team leader that can tackle and play every role in the secondary.
Jordan Fuller Rams- Packers will steal him due to Jeff Hafley/Ohio St connection, but Fuller can play.
Geno Stone Rats- Every once in awhile I get one right. New Ken kid and former Hawkeye just has that nose for the football.
Xavier Mckinney Giants- Minkah’s successor down in T-Town. Could be reunited up there in yinzer-land.
Justin Blackmon Colts- Stat sheet filler. Career year with 4 ints. Experience at both safety spots
Darnell Savage Packers- Speed guy. I don’t know if he’s a bust per say, but definitely underperformed in crappy ass Joe Barry’s defense. Maryland connection.
CJ Gardner Johnson Lions- Quiet. I like Quiet. He ain’t it, but can play variety of roles when healthy.
Jayron Kearse Cowboys- Big hybrid type. How gawd awful Dan Quinn got a second chance and not Steve Spagnulo I’ll never know.
Kyle Dugger Patriots- Had his fans here on Fury. Belichick missed A LOT more than he hit.
Jeremy Chinn Panthers- Had his fans here on Fury. Hybrid type.
Jordan Whitehead Jets- Pitt kid I wanted last year.
Micah Hyde Bills- Too old but I fear he’ll be a Tomlin target.
Budda Baker Cards- Seemingly always on the trading block, somehow made Pro Bowl over Antoine Jr. NFL would be wise to do away with that stupid event.
Jonathan Owens Packers- Married to Olympic gymnast Simon Biles. Tomlin’s daughter is a gymnast up the road in Athens. You do the math.

Slim Pickings in the Draft:

Tyler Nubin Gophers- Good size and ball skills. Combine will be huge. Keep rowing that boat, PJ.
Kam Kinchens Miami- Playmaker the secondary desperately needs, but y’all said he’s not much in the tackling department.
Calen Bullock USC- Well if you don’t like Kinchens you’ll hate this terrible tackler, but he too is a playmaker. Damn that USC defense was a special kinda awful.
Beau Brade Terps- We’ll know soon enough if he’ll be bingeing the Flintstones with Mike and Dino.
Javon Bullard Georgia- Nickel type
Tykee Smith Georgia- Nickel type
Jaden Hicks Cougs’- Big kid could be combine riser.
James Williams Miami- Top rated safety in his recruiting class but moved to LB at Senior Bowl.
Cole Bishop Utes- I like him better than y’all
Sione Vaki Utes- Tomlin will dig his versatility.
Josh Proctor Ohio St- Been awhile since Tomlin has poached from his farm team.
Kitan Oladapo Oregon St- Central Catholic grad (Portland not Pittsburgh).

Thanks as always for reading. Please comment on the players you like and those you don’t. With the draft bereft of safety talent, I’m guessing that the Steelers once again take the free agent route to upgrade the position. PLEASE do better than Kazee and Keanu this time around.

Nick Markakis on Astros: "Every guy over there needs a beating."

jebrick

Post by jebrick » Thu Feb 15, 2024 3:34 pm

Hicks is one of my favorites. Vaki is another one to watch.
“If you see the handwriting on the wall, you’re in the toilet.”

- Fred Sanford

cop1211

Post by cop1211 » Fri Feb 16, 2024 3:24 pm

There’s a safety from Wake that runs a 4.39 (allegedly)

I like Hicks, but I’m feeling a Free Agent signing.
Last edited by cop1211 on Sat Feb 17, 2024 3:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Charles Demarr

Post by Charles Demarr » Fri Feb 16, 2024 5:56 pm

Vaki and Hicks for me too, but the free agent group is actually pretty good. I expect a FA acquisition as well.

smithessmokin

Post by smithessmokin » Wed Feb 21, 2024 4:11 pm

I won’t lie, I’m a huge fan of Kinchens. Think he’s the real deal, he’s going to fit right in with the NFL’s shifting defensive philosophy of playing two high safeties. And I think he’s a better tackler than given credit for, the Canes have asked him to play high for most of his career.

Mick

Post by Mick » Wed Feb 21, 2024 4:21 pm

Pretty confident you don’t like cole bishop more than me.

steelmann58

Post by steelmann58 » Sun Feb 25, 2024 5:57 am

It they go safety it be in Fa book it

ol skool

Post by ol skool » Sun Feb 25, 2024 6:25 pm

cop1211 wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 3:24 pm
There’s a safety from Wake that runs a 4.39 (allegedly)

I like Hicks, but I’m feeling a Free Agent signing.
Malik Mustapha. Fun to watch.

ol skool

Post by ol skool » Sun Feb 25, 2024 6:26 pm

Mick wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 4:21 pm
Pretty confident you don’t like cole bishop more than me.
Dig him, too.

cop1211

Post by cop1211 » Mon Feb 26, 2024 1:00 pm

I’ll take free agent Xavier McKinley, and Mustapha in the 4th and play him in the slot.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic