Football 101

Times have changed

The game I love is a shell of its former self

Now?

Pass the ball

Stop the pass

YOUR beloved Steelers?

Well…

…They got some catchin up to do (Thanks Tombert)

You don’t have a quarterback

You got nothin.

Let’s build up the trenches while we’re waiting.

Kimo Von Oelhoffen, where art thou?

• You’re not gettin’ Chris Jones, Justin Madubuike or Christian Wilkins (most a pity)
AJ Epenesa Bills- at 6’6 260 screams 4-3 end but I’m tired of pigeonholing traditional 3-4 DEs to the Steelers. Change up the scheme. Find some chess pieces.
Jonathan Allen Skins- Played for Steelers’ DL coach Karl Dunbar over in T-Town. All kinds of tired of the losing environment over in Washington. Not a free agent. I’m interested if a veteran cap casualty.
Leonard Williams Seahawks- Let somebody else overpay (grossly).
DJ Reader Bengals- Another probably not, but I like poaching from division rivals.
Javon Kinlaw 49ers- Injury marred start to his career. Prototype size but a reclamation project.
Raekwon Davis Dolphins- Roll Damn Tide, bitches. Mammoth human, not mammoth production. Another Karl Dunbar disciple.
Fletcher Cox Eagles- Old warhorse would be that cliché veteran presence. MUCH prefer to get younger. A drafting we will go, a drafting we will go.
Sheldon Rankins Texans- Feels like he’s been around forever but still just 29.
Denico Autry Titans- posted 11.5 sacks last year at age 33. Maybe he and Artie are donut buddies.
Derrick Nnadi Chiefs- Undersized elite run stopper probably not a fit.
Grover Stewart Colts- Suspended 6 games for PEDs. Active dude even when not juicing.
Sebastian Joseph-Day 49ers- Seabass offers depth along the DL.
Teair Tart Texans- Cut by Titans. Another disruptor for the Texans front 7.
Ashawn Robinson Giants- RTR. BIG, well-traveled, versatile space eater.
Daquan Jones Bills- Veteran run stopper to give Happy Valley fans a chubby.
Austin Johnson Chargers- Another veteran run stopper to give Happy Valley fans a chubby.
Greg Gaines Bucs- Fire hydrant wave player type.
Malcolm Roach Saints- 6’3 290. One of the younger UFA options. Just not a whole lot out there I’m afraid.

How’s retirement treatin’ ya, Stephon?

Johnny Newton Illinois- Undersized by Steelers’ antiquated standards, but a fun player.
Byron Murphy Texas- See Johnny Newton.
Darrius Robinson Mizzou- First off the bus/chiseled physique. FAST riser sure to be on the Steelers’ radar. Dig him.
Kris Jenkins Jr. scUM- Tomlin and his NFL bloodlines
T’vondre Sweat Texas- BIG ‘sum bitch. Should’ve weighed in at the Senior Bowl. We get it, you’re fat. If kid tests even close to Jordan Davis, I’m in.
Ruke Ohorhoro Clemson- New to the game. Upside player.
Brandon Dorlus Ducks- Bitch slapped Beaver Stud OT Taliese Fuaga. Saw it with my own two eyes I did.
Michael Hall Buckeyes- See Johnny Newton.
McKinnley Jackson Aggies- BIG ‘sum bitch. Just pummeled dudes down in Mobile.
Maason Smith LSU- Production doesn’t match prototype size.
Leonard Taylor Canes- Another more ballyhoo than production type.
Braden Fiske Noles- LIES!!! Listed at 6’5 came in under 6’3 with ’31 arms. Energizer bunny.
Justin Eboigbe Bama- Versatile kid shined down in Mobile.
Gabe Hall Baylor- Another Senior Bowl standout. Steelers’ prototype size.
Dwayne Carter Duke- More production than talent type.
Tyler Davis Clemson- Another try hard type
Khristian Boyd Northern Iowa- Another Big ‘un. Shrine Bowl star.
• The rest I leave to YOU and the all important Fury Board draft.

Thanks as always for reading. Please comment on the players you like and those you don’t. At first glance, the free agent market is all or nothing for the defensive line position. A few star players but mostly an old/flawed bunch. The Steelers will most likely sign their typical Armon Watts hole filler type. Such a stale, shitty approach. Gotta find another young stud in the draft. Build on the Keeanu Benton momentum.

Nick Markakis on Astros: "Every guy over there needs a beating."

Ice

Post by Ice » Thu Feb 22, 2024 5:33 pm

With apologies to UGA, and I get what you mean in athletic terms, Jordan Davis has been damn near Bustasaurus Rex in Philly so far. Make or break stuff upcoming for him. He's been getting some Mike Mamula comps up here, and it's getting tougher to call them unfair.
Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile...

Steeldrama

Post by Steeldrama » Thu Feb 22, 2024 6:15 pm

Ice wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2024 5:33 pm
With apologies to UGA, and I get what you mean in athletic terms, Jordan Davis has been damn near Bustasaurus Rex in Philly so far. Make or break stuff upcoming for him. He's been getting some Mike Mamula comps up here, and it's getting tougher to call them unfair.
Nah too soon to be a bust.
Kid has a lazy streak though.
Perhaps the new defensive staff can properly motivate him
Make or break season coming up.

Nolan Smith probably called a bust up there too.
Damn Iggles fans
Lousy thugs

There's a reason Howie cleaned house on their coaching staff.

jebrick

Post by jebrick » Thu Feb 22, 2024 6:15 pm

Murphy is going to be the Jordon Davis in this draft. Best 3-tech hands down. Should go in the 1st . Draftniks are undervaluing him. Sweat will fall to the 3rd-4th as the fat body is undervalued by the NFL.

Darrius Robinson and Ruke Ohorhoro would be Steeler picks. Robinson is going end of the 1st or top of the 2nd.

I would not mind Sheldon Rankins signed to be the rotational fat body. They need a fat body in there.
“If you see the handwriting on the wall, you’re in the toilet.”

- Fred Sanford

Ice

Post by Ice » Thu Feb 22, 2024 10:17 pm

They're not in love with Nakobe Dean, who I really liked at UGA, either.

In fact, if I wanted to cause the famously even tempered and reasonable Philly fanbase to riot on draft weekend, I can already think of at least one way to do it.

smithessmokin

Post by smithessmokin » Fri Feb 23, 2024 4:43 am

A lot of fun prospects this year, especially early for the defensive line, it’s more about which ones will the Steelers actually pursue?

steelmann58

Post by steelmann58 » Sun Feb 25, 2024 5:46 am

Can’t see them signing an outside guy unles more upside over Adams or Watts

Steel Bingo

Post by Steel Bingo » Mon Feb 26, 2024 4:27 pm

Armon Watts is a guy who I do not know enough about to have any strong opinions on. But Montravius Adams, cannot get the image of him being pushed 6 yards behind the LOS against Baltimore out of my mind. Beyond ready to be done with that.

I want to be excited about a player like McKinnley Jackson, but underwhelming players like D. Moore, Jr., Buddy Johnson and Demarvin Leal have Aggies nearing DND to me. For the Ravens though, would expect MJ to be nothing less than an absolute wrecking ball.

Kris Jenkins and to a lesser degree DeWayne Carter have some Javon Hargrave like appeal about them. As it sets pre-Combine, they’d receive Rd. 2 (KJ) and Rd. 4 (DC) considerations in my evaluations.

If I squint hard enough, Maason Smith is a player who could justify Stephon Tuitt comparisons. Ideal size and similar in that their best college season was not their final season. But whereas Tuitt played decent through some injury concerns his final season IIRC, Smith played rather average even a full year after recovery.

Nonetheless, if he were to find his way into the 4th Rd., right now I would line up Calvin Austin in the blocks and have him do his thing up to the podium. Then pop in some Bose Ultra Earbuds, put on some ol' school Kid Rock, and drown out the noise that he would develop into anything but a magnet for double teams.

Khristian Boyd, never heard his name until about a month ago, but like what is being written about him.

EDIT: Maason Smith looks to be rather firmly in the Top 90 prospects everywhere, so drafting him likely takes a 3rd Rd. pick. But wow, because LSU's defense had some major struggles this past season.

Ice

Post by Ice » Mon Feb 26, 2024 10:48 pm

I think the Steelers might still see something in Watts. Where do they see Benton? I'd guess DE. I think there's space for a space eater type NT in FA, and hoping we add another DE in the draft. Little use at all for Adams or Ogunjobi, who can go ahead and be the next ones out. Sad to see Cam decline, but it is what it is, I guess.

jebrick

Post by jebrick » Tue Feb 27, 2024 1:05 am

Ice wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2024 10:48 pm
I think the Steelers might still see something in Watts. Where do they see Benton? I'd guess DE. I think there's space for a space eater type NT in FA, and hoping we add another DE in the draft. Little use at all for Adams or Ogunjobi, who can go ahead and be the next ones out. Sad to see Cam decline, but it is what it is, I guess.
They mostly play a 4-3 Hybrid as base. Occasionally bringing a NT but mostly they have a 5 tech(Heyward) and a 3 tech(Benson) +Watt and Highsmith.

- Fred Sanford

steelmann58

Post by steelmann58 » Tue Feb 27, 2024 10:21 pm

One of the Steelers writers said they might resign Adams

bradshaw2ben
Site Admin

Post by bradshaw2ben » Tue Feb 27, 2024 10:24 pm

We all have to stop thinking in terms of 5-tech and NT. Mostly they need disruptive 3-techs and 1-techs who get get push in the pass rush without getting pushed around in the run game.

With Benton and Watts, they've got two guys who can line up over or adjacent to C, both of whom are good run stuffers when you want to go with 5 down linemen.

jebrick

Post by jebrick » Tue Feb 27, 2024 11:57 pm

Benton has zero sand in his pants. He is a good 3-tech but he sucked playing 2 gap. Moving backwards too often. Perhaps he gets stronger in the off season.

They need that long 300lb tackle to give teams fits. Basically, clone Cam.

- Fred Sanford

PennyBacker

Post by PennyBacker » Wed Feb 28, 2024 6:05 pm

Steel Bingo wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2024 4:27 pm
If I squint hard enough, Maason Smith is a player who could justify Stephon Tuitt comparisons. Ideal size and similar in that their best college season was not their final season. But whereas Tuitt played decent through some injury concerns his final season IIRC, Smith played rather average even a full year after recovery.

Nonetheless, if he were to find his way into the 4th Rd., right now I would line up Calvin Austin in the blocks and have him do his thing up to the podium. Then pop in some Bose Ultra Earbuds, put on some ol' school Kid Rock, and drown out the noise that he would develop into anything but a magnet for double teams.

Khristian Boyd, never heard his name until about a month ago, but like what is being written about him.

EDIT: Maason Smith looks to be rather firmly in the Top 90 prospects everywhere, so drafting him likely takes a 3rd Rd. pick. But wow, because LSU's defense had some major struggles this past season.
The Tigers’ D did hold off Tanner Mordecai and the Badgers last drive of the ReliaQuest Bowl in rather fine fashion. Pushed them way back.

Unless you have expectations for them to take 2 DLs, wouldn’t that sphincter be getting a bit tight waiting until the 4th round to get your first goon?

Speaking of Mordecai, maybe an underrated QB prospect the team invites to camp if he is not drafted.

Devil Without A Cause was a good album back in the late 90s. Many Live's jams from the 90s/00s almost always got better the more they were played, and still do not get old. A rare quality in music from any era.

Steel Bingo

Post by Steel Bingo » Thu Feb 29, 2024 1:08 am

The DL depth in this draft looks to be weaker than in other classes from my perspective. Maybe about equal to last year. Benton looks to have been a silver arrow from that class. I want to see them get a good player this draft, but am leery of reaching for a guy. With the Combine / Free Agency / Pro Days, a lot can still develop between now and draft day.

Devil Without A Cause went hard back in the 90s. It still does today even if some of the references are rather period specific. It’s one of the all-time ‘middle finger to the haters’ lyrical productions ever created. There is hardly 2 minutes on that CD which does not kick a$$.

Touche on Mordecai, speaking of things "Leary," Devin Leary is another QB they may consider for camp if he is not drafted.

jebrick

Post by jebrick » Thu Feb 29, 2024 6:53 pm

366 for Sweat at the combine.

- Fred Sanford

jebrick

Post by jebrick » Thu Feb 29, 2024 9:38 pm

Brandon Fiske made himself some money today. so much for my hope of him falling to the 3rd

- Fred Sanford

ol skool

Post by ol skool » Thu Feb 29, 2024 9:55 pm

jebrick wrote:
Thu Feb 29, 2024 9:38 pm
Brandon Fiske made himself some money today. so much for my hope of him falling to the 3rd
He turned 24 in January and is a 5th year Senior. He'll be there in the 3rd. I'd bet 4th.

bradshaw2ben
Site Admin

Post by bradshaw2ben » Fri Mar 01, 2024 4:03 am

Fiske is too productive a interior disruptor. Elderly or not, those dudes have a way of going earlier than expected.

jebrick

Post by jebrick » Fri Mar 01, 2024 12:18 pm

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2024 4:03 am
Fiske is too productive a interior disruptor. Elderly or not, those dudes have a way of going earlier than expected.
He is a good 1 tech you are looking for. Can be disruptive on single gap rushes. Can play 2 gap and handle doubles.

- Fred Sanford

Charles Demarr

Post by Charles Demarr » Fri Mar 01, 2024 12:37 pm

ol skool wrote:
Thu Feb 29, 2024 9:55 pm
jebrick wrote:
He turned 24 in January and is a 5th year Senior. He'll be there in the 3rd. I'd bet 4th.
Late 2nd at worst.

jebrick

Post by jebrick » Fri Mar 01, 2024 1:12 pm

Top DT RAS scores
1. Braden Fiske (FSU): 9.97
2. Ruke Orhorhoro (Clemson): 9.90
3. Marshawn Kneeland (WMU) 9.87
4. Darius Robinson (Missouri): 9.64
5. Logan Lee (Iowa): 9.33
6. Gabe Hall (Baylor): 9.12
7. Byron Murphy (Texas): 9.03

- Fred Sanford

Steeldrama

Post by Steeldrama » Fri Mar 01, 2024 2:41 pm

ol skool wrote:
jebrick wrote:
Yeah IDK 'ol skool, 24 or not that was one helluva workout.

Daniel Jeremiah is prone to hyperbole, but I don't think he was that far off proclaiming Fiske might go late rd 1 after that workout.
Short arms aside, I think early-mid rd 2 is now his floor.

DJ only accentuates the positive, however.

He glosses over the poor workouts.

Edge Austin Booker (kind of the anti- Fiske being just a red shirt soph) ran in the 4.8's
All DJ said was "I thought he'd run better"
Didn't expound on how his stock could now plummet etc.

jebrick

Post by jebrick » Fri Mar 01, 2024 2:45 pm

I see Gabe Hall got into the top RAS scores. He is really really raw. Like he has not been coached. He is one you take in the 6th round and hope you can coach him up for a year and gt something.

- Fred Sanford

Mick

Post by Mick » Fri Mar 01, 2024 7:19 pm

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2024 4:03 am
looking at the top 10 DTs in the NFL, they averaged career highs of 64 tackles vs Power 5 competition with average age 21.2 in their last college season, vs Fiske’s “too productive” 43 tackles at 23 years old last fall.

Not a particularly exciting profile. Maybe someone will go for him in the second, but i’d guess 3rd. DT is probably the easiest position to scout; just not hard to project unless they are particularly young (underweight can be a bit tricky too).

cop1211

Post by cop1211 » Sun Mar 03, 2024 5:28 am

DE Gabe Hall in the 4th would be a nice pick.

Steel Bingo

Post by Steel Bingo » Sun Mar 03, 2024 1:49 pm

Ruke Orhorhoro's film backs up his testing. Outstanding penetrator with impressive strength. He does not get knocked off his feet.

smithessmokin

Post by smithessmokin » Mon Mar 04, 2024 2:55 pm

Steeldrama wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2024 2:41 pm
ol skool wrote:
jebrick wrote:
Yeah IDK 'ol skool, 24 or not that was one helluva workout.

Daniel Jeremiah is prone to hyperbole, but I don't think he was that far off proclaiming Fiske might go late rd 1 after that workout.
Short arms aside, I think early-mid rd 2 is now his floor.

DJ only accentuates the positive, however.

He glosses over the poor workouts.

Edge Austin Booker (kind of the anti- Fiske being just a red shirt soph) ran in the 4.8's
All DJ said was "I thought he'd run better"
Didn't expound on how his stock could now plummet etc
I've never understood the love for Booker. He had one good year. Being from Indiana the kid is in my backyard was pursued out of high school (even by my Hoosiers) so I'm familiar with his game and I've never thought he was that good. Maybe I'm biased, but just don't see him being successful.

steelmann58

Post by steelmann58 » Fri Mar 08, 2024 2:07 am

I think they try to sign a Dl in Fa and take a Dl in the draft

bradshaw2ben
Site Admin

Post by bradshaw2ben » Tue Mar 12, 2024 2:51 pm

jebrick wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2024 1:12 pm
Top DT RAS scores
1. Braden Fiske (FSU): 9.97
2. Ruke Orhorhoro (Clemson): 9.90
3. Marshawn Kneeland (WMU) 9.87
4. Darius Robinson (Missouri): 9.64
5. Logan Lee (Iowa): 9.33
6. Gabe Hall (Baylor): 9.12
7. Byron Murphy (Texas): 9.03
Kneeland is an EDGE. He's good though

Logan Lee is overaged, too. I think you could make it work with any of the rest.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic