Running Back

Mock drafts, college sports news, college football
Steeldrama

Running Back

Post by Steeldrama » Mon Feb 26, 2024 4:41 pm

Sorry Arthur

Neither King Henry nor Bijan are walking through the Steelers’ locker room door anytime soon.

The good news is you have a couple of solid, albeit unspectacular, rbs to run into the ground this year.

Depth at all positions is needed so my guess is the Steelers procure another RB whether it be a cheap vet signing, through the draft, or even an UDFA (Fast Willie Parker, Jaylen Warren).

Some Tread left on the Tires:

Derrick Henry Titans- In his prime, few more fun to watch. My fear is he’s a Raven, but the Texans are my dark horse.
Sequan Barkley G-Men-Escape from New York, indeed. Rumor has it cheatin’ Jimmy Harbs has a Happy Valley sized crush.
Josh Jacobs Raiduhs- Bama churns out NFL running backs with varying degrees of success. Rival Bengals could use an upgrade over Joe Mixon, but Sean Payton might be smitten.
Joe Mixon Bengals- Not cut yet, but seemingly always rumored to happen.
Tony Pollard Big D- Thrives in a complementary role. Cowboys should resign him and give stud FB Hunter Luepke some carries to lighten the load.
D’Andre Swift DGD- GREAT trade by the Eagles squandered by an epic coaching melt down.
Cordarrlle Patterson Falcons- Once upon a time B2B draft crush was phased out here in A-Town with the arrival of Bijan. If he has anything left, Artie Smith will make him a Steeler. Book it, Dano.
Kevin Smith Falcons- Artie Smith uses a fullback. So this signing makes sense too.
Austin Eckler SAN DIEGO- Injured, washed up, or both. Let someone else overpay.
Ty Johnson Bills- Has some “Juice.” Get it. OJ. Buffalo. Anyway, I like this one. Kid can run.
Devin Singletary Texans- Had much better year in H-Town than he ever did in Buffalo. I’d be interested but probably too much coin for a committee back.
Zach Moss Colts- Had much better year as a Colt than he ever did in Buffalo. Fragile fella I’d pass on.
AJ Dillon Pack- Quad-zilla type that fits best in a committee but hopefully not our committee.
Donta Foreman Bears- Bruising committee back just produces wherever he goes.
Antonio Gibson Skins- Fell out of favor with Eric Bienemy. Former college WR offers something out of the backfield.
Jerrick McKinnon Chiefs- Another fragile fella. Former college qb that offers trick play capability for a creative…never mind.
Clyde Edwards-Helaire Chiefs- Bust. Reclamation project.
JK Dobbins Rats- Hasn’t been “ALL DAY, JK” in quite a while. Reclamation project.
Gus Edwards Rats- Makes Najee look fast to the hole. May be better year after ACL.
Zeke Elliott Pats- Ugly ‘sum bitch I could see Tomlin digging.
DeeJay Dallas Seahawks- Offers return ability
Boston Scott Eagles- Tiny fella does nothing but rip off chunk plays.

Najee’s 5th year option would spell day 3/UDFA:

Jonathan Brooks Texas- Torn ACL could slide a little further than he should.
Trey Benson Florida St- Prototype size. Might be top back taken after combine (YAY COMBINE WEEK!)
Blake Corum scUM- A dinner invite with Tomlin awaits. You know it and I know it.
Jaylen Wright Vols- Homerun hitter could be fast riser after combine.
Audric Estime Irish- Artie likes the bigger backs.
Braelon Allen Wisconsin- Another big back. Steelers dig them some Badgers.
Bucky Irving Ducks- Speed back needs to show that speed at Combine.
Marshawn Lloyd USC- Cock transfer showed versatile game West Side.
Will Shipley Clemson- Versatile highly recruited type ideally suited for a committee.
Ray Davis Kentucky- I should probably get his 280/4 TD performance against Florida out of my mind because the Gators SUCK (google their 2024 schedule. Good night nurse).
Isaiah Davis Jackrabbit- National Champion fared well down in Mobile.
Cody Schrader Mizzou- Well documented former DII try hard type that I do so dig.
Dylan Laube New Hamp- versatile, record setting DII back.
Jaheim Bell Florida St- Artie could use this versatile TE as a fullback type.
Isaac Gurendo Louisville- Fast, powerful, Badger transfer.
Jawhar Jordan Louisville- The shiftier of the two Cardinals
Jase McClellan Bama- No stranger to rb committee.
Kendall Milton Georgia- I like him better than you do. Stay healthy, kid.
Daijun Edwards Georgia- The shiftier of the two Bulldogs.
Dillon Johnson UW- Huskies are dogs but not “Dawgs.” Do better, Washington.
Rasheen Ali Marshall- Home run hitter injured Senior Bowl week.
Tyrone Tracy Purdue- Basketball school but kid can play.
George Holani Boise St- More moves than Mae West type.
Miyan Williams Buckeyes- Tomlin hasn’t poached his farm team in a while.
Jaden Shirden Monmouth- Little fella is a record setting home run hitter.
Frank Gore Southern Miss- Tomlin and his NFL bloodlines
Kimani Vidal Troy- Great nephew of Hank Aaron

Thanks as always for reading. Please comment on the players you like and those you don’t. Artie going to run the wheels off Najee and Warren. Depth is needed, but with huge needs on the lines and in the secondary my guess is a day 3/UDFA addition or the usual dumpster dive into free agency. Probably gonna sign or draft a FB type too.

Nick Markakis on Astros: "Every guy over there needs a beating."

bradshaw2ben
Site Admin

Post by bradshaw2ben » Mon Feb 26, 2024 7:20 pm

A Smith and Tomlin are like the Spiderverse meme when it comes to running the wheels off one guy. It's possible they'll add a guy from a ridiculously deep class, but I wouldn't bet on it being a priority, especially with a solid backup in place.

Out of the 24 draft prospect RBs you listed, maybe I don't love 6-7 of them. Great class.
1 20 Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia
2 51 TRADE: Brandon Aiyuk, WR
3 84 Hunter Nourzad, C, Penn State
3× 98 Jarvis Brownlee, Jr., CB, Florida State
4 128 Qwan'tez Stiggers, DB, Toronto Argonauts

Steeldrama

Post by Steeldrama » Mon Feb 26, 2024 7:58 pm

Yep, Tomlin ran the wheels off Leveon, rookie Najee etc.

Artie ran the wheels off Derrick Henry.

BUT, Arthur was heavily criticized by the local talking heads and Falcon fans (fan) for not doing the same with prized rookie Bijan Robinson here in Atlanta.

Some data for your viewing pleasure:

Artie Smith's 2023 Falcons finished with 522 carries for 2,159 yards and 14 touchdowns through their 17 games.

They were No. 3 in rush attempts per game and No. 9 in rush yards per game.

(If y'all don't like ground and pound, you're in for a long season).

Bijan= 214 carries for 976 yards and four touchdowns; averaged 57.4 yards per game and 4.6 yards per carry

Tyler Allgeier=186 carries for 683 yards and four touchdowns; averaged 40.2 yards per game and 3.7 yards per carry

Cordarrelle Patterson= 50 carries for 181 yards; averaged 12.9 yards per game and 3.6 yards per carry

214/186/50 carries between 3 rbs screams committee.

I think Najee and Warren continue to split the load barring injury.

A depth rb could and should be added day 3/UDFA or a dumpster dive FA signing like Artie's boy Cordarrelle Patterson is also possible.

steelmann58

Post by steelmann58 » Tue Feb 27, 2024 10:24 pm

I think they should find a home run hitter as their 3round Back

bradshaw2ben
Site Admin

Post by bradshaw2ben » Tue Feb 27, 2024 10:29 pm

Steeldrama wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2024 7:58 pm

BUT, Arthur was heavily criticized by the local talking heads and Falcon fans (fan) for not doing the same with prized rookie Bijan Robinson here in Atlanta.

Artie Smith's 2023 Falcons finished with 522 carries for 2,159 yards and 14 touchdowns through their 17 games.

Bijan= 214 carries for 976 yards and four touchdowns; averaged 57.4 yards per game and 4.6 yards per carry

Tyler Allgeier=186 carries for 683 yards and four touchdowns; averaged 40.2 yards per game and 3.7 yards per carry

Cordarrelle Patterson= 50 carries for 181 yards; averaged 12.9 yards per game and 3.6 yards per carry

A depth rb could and should be added day 3/UDFA or a dumpster dive FA signing like Artie's boy Cordarrelle Patterson is also possible.
I'm thinking of those 2020 Titans where he made his bones. Derrick Henry had 378 attempts out of 521. The next guy in attempts was Jeremy McNichols with 47 carries.

Steeldrama

Post by Steeldrama » Tue Feb 27, 2024 10:33 pm

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2024 10:29 pm
Steeldrama wrote:

I'm thinking of those 2020 Titans where he made his bones. Derrick Henry had 378 attempts out of 521. The next guy in attempts was Jeremy McNichols with 47 carries.
So who’s your bell cow?

Najee
Or
Warren?

bradshaw2ben
Site Admin

Post by bradshaw2ben » Wed Feb 28, 2024 7:20 pm

Steeldrama wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2024 10:33 pm
bradshaw2ben wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2024 10:29 pm
Steeldrama wrote:

So who’s your bell cow?

Najee
Or
Warren?
Me? I don't think offense like Arthur Smith or Mike Tomlin think it. My answer to your question would be: "not on the roster"

They'll run the wheels off Najee. I'll bet you Najee gets the vast majority of 1st-2nd down carries this year and Warren more or less becomes primarily the 3rd down back.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic