Amazon to spend $1B per year on Thurday night football

jebrick

Amazon to spend $1B per year on Thurday night football

Post by jebrick » Fri Mar 19, 2021 5:12 pm

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2021/03 ... -football/
The NFL wrapped up its broadcast contract negotiations for the next eleven years, and a big winner was Amazon, which scored exclusive national rights to Thursday Night Football (TNF). Going forward, the NFL's weekly Thursday games will be exclusive to Amazon Prime Video, a big change for a package that was previously on terrestrial television or cable.

The deal runs from 2023 to 2033 and, according to a report from CNBC, will see Amazon pay $1 billion per year for the TNF package. Thursday Night Football is the NFL's newest and cheapest TV package, but the deal lets Amazon creep closer to parity with the NFL's other licensees, mainstream TV networks like Fox Sports, ABC/ESPN (Disney), CBS (Viacom), and NBC (Comcast). CNBC's report has the other four channels paying upward of $2 billion per year each, and unlike Amazon, the TV networks get to take turns airing the Super Bowl.

“If you see the handwriting on the wall, you’re in the toilet.”

- Fred Sanford

stillthere

Post by stillthere » Sat Mar 20, 2021 3:00 am

I am interested in what happens with that deal if Bezos buys the DC football team. Would that affect the contract? Is an owner allowed to be the broadcaster of the league?

That is what the weed has me thinking about as I zone out to some NCAA basketball in the background and clack away here and there online.

COR-TEN

Post by COR-TEN » Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:03 pm

stillthere wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 3:00 am
I am interested in what happens with that deal if Bezos buys the DC football team. Would that affect the contract? Is an owner allowed to be the broadcaster of the league?

That is what the weed has me thinking about as I zone out to some NCAA basketball in the background and clack away here and there online.
I hear your ping.
Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter how good you are, the pigeon is going to shit on the board and strut around like it won anyway.

bradshaw2ben
Site Admin

Post by bradshaw2ben » Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:53 am

haha
1 20 Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia
2 51 TRADE: Brandon Aiyuk, WR
3 84 Hunter Nourzad, C, Penn State
3× 98 Jarvis Brownlee, Jr., CB, Florida State
4 128 Qwan'tez Stiggers, DB, Toronto Argonauts

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic