Current: #6 prospect gets first MLB start tonight at PNC!

MJG75

Current: #6 prospect gets first MLB start tonight at PNC!

Post by MJG75 » Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:12 pm

No. 6 prospect Contreras to debut tonight

The most anticipated pitching callup of the season for the Pirates is finally here.

Manager Derek Shelton said the team intends to promote right-hander Roansy Contreras to make his MLB debut on Wednesday night against the Cubs at PNC Park. Contreras, the Pirates' No. 6 prospect per MLB Pipeline, was promoted to Triple-A Indianapolis on Sept. 20 as Double-A Altoona's season came to a close, and one turn later, he's headed to the Majors.

"We're getting to take a look at one of our prospects -- one of our top prospects," Shelton said. "I think we temper all excitement, just like we do with any situation, but it's just a credit to our development group as we continue to move guys forward."

Dan Smith--BYU

Post by Dan Smith--BYU » Fri Oct 01, 2021 2:13 am

and a 9-0 loss to the Cubs to cement the 100 loss season. The only missing ingredient for complete humiliation is Jake Arietta.
The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently.

Nietzsche

MJG75

Post by MJG75 » Fri Oct 01, 2021 4:51 am

Yep. Yajure really got roughed up badly tonight. Contreras did pretty well yesterday, though you can't judge too much because they only let him pitch 3 innings.

This is it for me. I only have one more in me. I know many have dropped off, completely, along the way since those glory days ended with the final out of the 1979 World Series. The only teams we had that I truly believed had a legit shot at another championship were those early 90s teams. That was tragic. The 2013-2015 teams were good, but I never really thought they had it in them to go all the way. Of course, I hoped they would. Of course, I pulled for them until the final out. But, yeah, they didn't seem quite complete enough.

And yeah, I know I said I was done after ownership essentially lifted their middle finger to the fans of baseball in this region, following a 98 win season, and may I add record attendance, did absolutely nothing to build upon that following the 2015 season. Oh. No, that isn't right. They actually helped that team implode by trading a native son for an absolute bum who was DFA'd by mid-season. Yeah. That mess.

So yeah. But I'm here. Cherington has me believing again. But yeah, this is it. If it doesn't work this time, I think the team may be out of the Burgh. The less than 1000 fans at games, despite the time of season and the record of the team, is kind of scary for baseball fans. Look. I get it. Hockey and football are kings of this town now. But I remember when it was the Bucs or not at all. Sure, we went to Steelers games, and pulled for them. Same with the Pens. But our hearts were with the team that played their games in summer at Forbes Field. The landscape has changed. Baseball is no longer the king of sports in America. But this is bad. Real bad.

As soon as the last pitch is hurled for 2021, this team needs to:

Solid extension for the man who should be the face of the team moving forward: Bryan Reynolds.

Make a decent offer for Yoshi. One year prove it, he can be a trade piece, but then again.

Sign Gamel up. That man can play ball.

Sign a vet pitcher on par with AJ (if they are truly out there).

Next year we won't contend, but we should rattle some cages. Sign 1 or 2 mid-range FA's instead of the basement garbage heap for a change and maybe we will rattle more cages than anyone thinks.

I have some more ideas, but those will do for a start.

I'm a believer. They finally tore it down, now it is time to see if they have the will, guts, and money to get us into true contention within the next 2-3 years. If not. I may be, finally and truly sadly, done with baseball. It's been in my blood since birth. It will hurt.

Steeler Owl

Post by Steeler Owl » Fri Oct 01, 2021 2:53 pm

MJG if only YOU had enough dough to buy the Bucs. Alas...

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic