Well ... time for the annual Pirates thread :-)

Steeler Owl

Re: Well ... time for the annual Pirates thread :-)

Post by Steeler Owl » Sun May 09, 2021 6:02 pm

Team seems destined to put up a 5 and 30 run?

Polanco the Dumbass/Teacup now on the Covid violation list--even though he actually had the virus awhile ago--and batting under .200 for last 400 AB. Highest paid Buc.

Top offensive threat banjo hitting Moran hurt and his projected replacement at 1B is Todd Frazier, age and BA are about the same, .037.

Steel Bingo

Post by Steel Bingo » Thu May 13, 2021 10:06 pm

Hayes having been moved to the 60 day IL earlier this week wasn’t inspiring.

If Polanco &/or Newman were considering to spring the trap, tonight would be an ideal time with A. DeSclafani on the mound.

If the Bucs do not pick a W in G1 vs the Giants, they may get swept out of their own stadium on into St. Louis.
Carolina:
2.33 Payton Wilson, MLB, NC St.
2.39 Jalen McMillan, WR, Wash
3.65 Blake Corum, RB, Michigan
4.101 Audric Estimé, RB, Notre Dame
5.141 Matt Lee, C, Miami
5.142 Jalyx Hunt, Hybrid S/LB/Edge, Houston Christian
7.240 Judge Culpepper, DL, Toledo

Steeler Owl

Post by Steeler Owl » Fri May 14, 2021 12:19 am

Giants 3 zip after 5. Polanco and Reynolds a combined 0-4. Desclafani tossing a one-hitter. Different day, same shitttttt.

Steel Bingo

Post by Steel Bingo » Thu May 20, 2021 11:09 pm

"Hawk" Harrelson used to campaign that teams wanted to win at least 2/3 of their home games and split 50/50 on the road to give themselves a chance at the post season.

If the Pirates achieved an inverse of that - win at least 50% of their home games and 1/3 on the road - they would manage to avoid a season of triple digits in the loss column.
Carolina:
2.33 Payton Wilson, MLB, NC St.
2.39 Jalen McMillan, WR, Wash
3.65 Blake Corum, RB, Michigan
4.101 Audric Estimé, RB, Notre Dame
5.141 Matt Lee, C, Miami
5.142 Jalyx Hunt, Hybrid S/LB/Edge, Houston Christian
7.240 Judge Culpepper, DL, Toledo

Steeler Owl

Post by Steeler Owl » Fri May 21, 2021 3:36 am

The sabermetrics of despair. To only be employed when a MLB team has less than 10 actual major leaguers on its roster and is hoping to move most of that group before the trade deadline.

MJG75

Post by MJG75 » Fri May 28, 2021 12:11 pm

They have tanked in May, or reverted back to where they are probably supposed to be. This team can't afford any injuries as they have pretty much zero major league-level depth. And that's unrealistic, of course. I did enjoy April though. I take my Bucs joy where I can get it, since I love baseball so damn much. F Nutting. Can't even open the pocketbook a little bit to bring in some actual decent vets who can be placeholders until the younger guys are ready.

Like I said while watching that game yesterday (which, aside from the gaffes, was actually not a terrible game otherwise), if you are stuck having to bat a no-power, barely Mendoza-line hitting Erik Gonzalez 5th in your lineup, and below him you have the likes of Will Craig, Perez (he did hit a homer though!), a struggling Newman, and the pitcher's spot, you are in trouble. Not much threat below those first 4 batters.

Reynolds is our best all around player currently (I expect Hayes to join him soon once healthy again). Frazier is our best hitter right now. I don't expect Frazier to be here for when they hope to have their next window, but I do think Reynolds and Hayes will be. I still hold out hope that Cherington can get us to that window with more depth than when Huntington did the same. I don't have any illusions that The Nut will do anything different than he did the last time following that very small and ultimately unsuccessful 3 year window (2013-2015).

Steeler Owl

Post by Steeler Owl » Fri May 28, 2021 2:42 pm

MJG75 wrote:
Fri May 28, 2021 12:11 pm
until the younger guys are ready.

What younger guys? Isnt Craig considered a top prospect? He is 26 and terrible.

Saying yesterday's game was enjoyable except for Craig's gaffe is like saying the Titanic's last cruise was enjoyable except for the iceberg.

I predict Reynolds is out of the 'burgh by the trade deadline.

franco>madden

Post by franco>madden » Fri May 28, 2021 6:15 pm

God bless you MJG, sincerely, I like your style and attitude. I too try to highlight the enjoyment where I can find it and there have been a few fun games ...

I think the problem is, in sports anyway, I have a hard time ignoring the elephants in the room, so to speak ... when there are obvious reasons why our teams (Pirates and increasingly Steelers) are falling short, continuously, over and over, season after season --- and although there are no guarantees of success, it's still pretty f'ing frustrating that ownership(s) won't take some of those very obvious, direct steps towards maximizing our chances of reaching the highest levels of play. Oh well ...

JackLambert58

Post by JackLambert58 » Sun Jun 06, 2021 11:49 pm

franco>madden wrote:
Fri May 28, 2021 6:15 pm
God bless you MJG, sincerely, I like your style and attitude. I too try to highlight the enjoyment where I can find it and there have been a few fun games ...

I think the problem is, in sports anyway, I have a hard time ignoring the elephants in the room, so to speak ... when there are obvious reasons why our teams (Pirates and increasingly Steelers) are falling short, continuously, over and over, season after season --- and although there are no guarantees of success, it's still pretty f'ing frustrating that ownership(s) won't take some of those very obvious, direct steps towards maximizing our chances of reaching the highest levels of play. Oh well ...
Ownership and management need to have a commitment to winning. The Pirates for sure do not have that. The Steelers look more and more like they don't have that.
"Jack Lambert is mean and relentless wherever he goes, on and off the field! I do remember many times he would chase me in practice, but no way would I let him catch me" - Franco Harris

MJG75

Post by MJG75 » Sat Jun 19, 2021 5:26 pm

Man that losing streak was rough. Nkce to finally win one!

Franco, thank you for the kind words, brother. We will turn this thing around despite the Nut.

Steel Ubaldo

Post by Steel Ubaldo » Tue Jun 29, 2021 12:36 am

I went to high school with Max Kranicks mom and uncle. He is from a really good family. I couldn’t be happier for him or his family. I wonder what would’ve happened if the rain never came. I hope he can keep it up.

Pabst

Post by Pabst » Wed Jun 30, 2021 11:01 pm

Somewhat Pirates related - Happy Bobby Bonilla Day!!!

jeemie

Post by jeemie » Tue Jul 13, 2021 8:40 pm

This lates Pirates draft was actually pretty good.

Question is…will they actually manage to develop these guys into a championship squad?

Or are these picks destined to be trading blocks for the next round of future prospects?
“Yeah we suck, be there is a chance we could suck slightly more if we try to correct the problem.” - Art Deuce (summarized by SteelPerch)

jebrick

Post by jebrick » Wed Jul 14, 2021 2:15 pm

I think they were smart in getting the Louisville catcher. The round 2 & 3 seem to be hard to sign prospects. One has a scholarship to play QB at Clemson.
“If you see the handwriting on the wall, you’re in the toilet.”

- Fred Sanford

Pabst

Post by Pabst » Wed Jul 14, 2021 3:28 pm

The MLB draft is such a crapshoot that it's hard to even speculate. 1/3 of first round picks never even play in the majors, and i think the number is something like only 10% of draft picks ever play in the MLB.

That said.....a family friend was taken by Tampa in the 18th round, so that's exciting. If he gets to AA I am totally buying some Montgomery Biscuits gear

SteelPro

Post by SteelPro » Wed Jul 14, 2021 6:30 pm

This was a good draft for the Bucs. Yeah, MLB draft is a crap shoot. But they drafted 4 guys that were considered to be 1st round talents. If they can sign 3 of them then this was a good job. Essentially the Bucs did the equivalent of trading down for extra picks. They took the college catcher who they can likely sign below slot, and that frees extra money to sign above slot the HS players they picked up in the next couple of rounds. Two of these kids are local to me and I've seen them play. I've known about the OF from malvern prep for quite a while. My friend's son went to malvern prep and played football with him.
People who quote themselves look like dogs who lick their balls

- Deebo referring to SteelerDayTrader

MJG75

Post by MJG75 » Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:55 pm

Good stuff, gents. Very pleased with the draft, and honestly, with most of the talent acquisitions that Cherington has been responsible for. I thought the draft day strategy was a wise one and the catcher we picked up is going to be a real good one, in my estimation. I like how Cherington goes after good hitters in equal measure to good pitchers.

Steeler Owl

Post by Steeler Owl » Sun Jul 18, 2021 11:06 am

22 year old Castro--3 HR in 11 Pirates AB--sent to AA Altoona so highest paid Buc Polanco--.199, strikes out close to 30% of the time--can come off DL.

THE REBUILD CONTINUES

jeemie

Post by jeemie » Sun Jul 18, 2021 8:14 pm

Wow…Walker for the Mets…knocks a ball almost out of play that he thought was foul, but it rolled back and was touching the line when he hit it.

Three runs score.

The funniest part is how the ball just sat there in foul ground and none of the Mets went after it.

Nobody knows fundamentals anymore, do they?
“Yeah we suck, be there is a chance we could suck slightly more if we try to correct the problem.” - Art Deuce (summarized by SteelPerch)

K_C_

Post by K_C_ » Sun Jul 18, 2021 8:57 pm

I told my wife today, after the Pirates scored 6 runs in the first on that brainless Mets mistake. "I'll bet the Pirates still lose this game".

They are currently losing 7-6 with 1 out and 1 man on in the bottom of the ninth.

The Pirates franchise should be contracted. They literally have no right to exist in today's major league baseball.
“The young girls strut their hips in the sun, from the brick streets of Whiting to the gates of St. John.”

Harvey Woodlawn

MJG75

Post by MJG75 » Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:07 pm

Went to the 1971 Team Celebration on Saturday night. Losing 6-0 going into the bottom of the 8th, we didn't really feel it, but man, that team came roaring back! I have rarely seen 2 more exciting innings. Sure this team is going nowhere this year, but damn, on a Saturday night in mid-summer, I just freaking enjoyed coming back on these f*cks! Lots of Mets fans in the stands, they were arrogant, loud and getting drunker. Nothing sweeter than drowning out their chants with our own once we started our comeback!

It was great to see that kind of fighting spirit while the members of the 71 team that could show up were watching, and those who couldn't be there, either in spirit or because of distance, watching over as the Black and Gold baseball team put on a show that would have made Roberto and Willie and Danny proud. I got goosebumps thinking about it.

Team is fun to watch sometimes, hard to watch other times.

jeemie

Post by jeemie » Tue Jul 20, 2021 3:26 pm

MJG75 wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:07 pm
Went to the 1971 Team Celebration on Saturday night. Losing 6-0 going into the bottom of the 8th, we didn't really feel it, but man, that team came roaring back! I have rarely seen 2 more exciting innings. Sure this team is going nowhere this year, but damn, on a Saturday night in mid-summer, I just freaking enjoyed coming back on these f*cks! Lots of Mets fans in the stands, they were arrogant, loud and getting drunker. Nothing sweeter than drowning out their chants with our own once we started our comeback!

It was great to see that kind of fighting spirit while the members of the 71 team that could show up were watching, and those who couldn't be there, either in spirit or because of distance, watching over as the Black and Gold baseball team put on a show that would have made Roberto and Willie and Danny proud. I got goosebumps thinking about it.

Team is fun to watch sometimes, hard to watch other times.
Followed by blowing a 6-0 lead where they were gifted three of the runs.

Yep the 2021 Pirates…Famine with the occasional Feast.

Cherington can be a good GM…except he’s limited by Nutting.

Which is why I want to get excited by the good things Cherington does, but can’t.

Nutting has earned my permanent distrust after he had a World Series potential team in 2015 and let it break apart after they lost to the Cubs.

MJG75

Post by MJG75 » Tue Jul 20, 2021 4:37 pm

Jeemie, you nailed it. I believe that Cherington is doing by far better than Huntington at this stage (especially considering 2020 was practically a lost year). He's turning this team around at the basics level, and doing so quickly. They are smart to say they are not moving Reynolds. That might have been a back-breaker for me. He's young enough and damn good enough to build around, and I'm glad to see they are smart enough to recognize that. Now they need to extend him and get Hayes back to the table also.

I'm not sure I believe yet in Shelton but willing to give him a chance. I did boo him once this year, something I rarely do to a manager or one of our own guys, and haven't done since before Hurdle's tenure, but I will still let things go for a bit until he has a better group to work with.

Nutting is always the elephant in the room. Tore my heart out what they did in the 2015 off-season, surely all at his behest. I have to believe, though, that Cherington, if he's as sharp as I think he is, had to point that out and ask him point blank what he will do if he gets him back to that point. Let's hope at least. Time will tell. 2-3 years I'd say, though they are moving quickly. A lot will also depend on the heart of players. Nogowski is one of my favorite new players, as is Difo. Love the heart and intensity. They may not be here when we are ready to contend, but they are a helluva lot of fun to watch right now.

Steeler Owl

Post by Steeler Owl » Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:25 pm

Worst team in the majors just swept the Bucs. Fun times for sure!

Jobu

Post by Jobu » Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:29 pm

Steeler Owl wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:25 pm
Worst team in the majors just swept the Bucs. Fun times for sure!
Not to worry…in 5 years bay-beee!
“Ah, who cares about Seattle’s Space Needle? Dumb looking building, you can see the whole stupid town, built by some jag off! Pittsburgh got Mt. Warshington, gorgeous hillside, beautiful views of the whole city, built by God…we win!” - Pittsburgh Dad

Steeler Owl

Post by Steeler Owl » Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:57 pm

I went to my first Pirates game SIXTY-EIGHT YEARS AGO (not a typo). The Bucs finished 50-104 and early in the season traded Ralph Kiner who had just won seven straight NL HR titles.

What goes around comes around and around and around...

I am pretty sure I will be dead before the next rare outburst of brief success. LOL

Adam Frazier we hardly knew ye!

MJG75

Post by MJG75 » Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:18 pm

Yeah, times have changed. I had to explain that Kiner situation and how it relates to the current situation to some youngsters the other day. Branch Rickey's (in) famous quote.

The team *might* be better in the future, but they will *definitely* be less of a team right now. We have only about 3-4 legit hitters on the team, and we just lost one of the better of those.

This is supposedly the way now, but doesn't mean we have to like it. It doesn't hurt like losing Cutch did, as I am doing my best to not get too attached to players. Still, a player you draft and develop and he does, becoming one of the best hitters for a single season and a tough out for any season, and you just drop him for a few unproven youngsters. Yeah...doesn't feel good, that is sure.

The only silver lining is that in the short term perhaps it motivates the young up and coming group with the idea that if you are individually successful, you are more likely to be traded to a contender. If enough of them respond to that, there is your wave of talent. Just hope it is enough for a ring.

Steeler Owl

Post by Steeler Owl » Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:07 am

We finished in last place with you. We can finish in last place without you.

Is that the quote you are referring to? At the time he uttered it Rickey was getting paid more than Kiner!

Oh well, at least the Bucs have also gotten rid of that stiff Clay Holmes.

MJG75

Post by MJG75 » Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:22 pm

Steeler Owl wrote:
Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:07 am
We finished in last place with you. We can finish in last place without you.

Is that the quote you are referring to? At the time he uttered it Rickey was getting paid more than Kiner!

Oh well, at least the Bucs have also gotten rid of that stiff Clay Holmes.
Yes, that's the one.

Agree with you about Holmes. You can only give a guy who appears to have nothing so much rope, and they have finally had enough, apparently. Glad to get something for him, at least. I don't think they are done yet. I think they'll take flyers on just about anyone in the organization this trading season, with the exception of Reynolds and Hayes.

SteelPro

Post by SteelPro » Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:09 pm

As bad as the Bucs are they've at least been interesting. Some really weird plays that will stick around forever (Will Craig snafu, scoring all those runs because Taijuan Walker slapped a fair ball with his glove). Add in a little John Nogowski underdog story and that at least makes the dog days a little fun and interesting. But now we have Rodolfo Castro. The rookie has 5 major league hits and all of them have been home runs. First major league player in history to do that. That is pretty cool.
People who quote themselves look like dogs who lick their balls

- Deebo referring to SteelerDayTrader

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic