Doctoring the baseball

jebrick

Doctoring the baseball

Post by jebrick » Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:05 pm

https://www.si.com/mlb/2021/06/04/stick ... aily-cover

An interesting article on the ball doctoring done in the league now.
Over the past two or three years, pitchers’ illegal application to the ball of what they call “sticky stuff”—at first a mixture of sunscreen and rosin, now various forms of glue—has become so pervasive that one recently retired hurler estimates “80 to 90%” of pitchers are using it in some capacity. The sticky stuff helps increase spin on pitches, which in turn increases their movement, making them more difficult to hit. That’s contributed to an offensive crisis that has seen the league-wide batting average plummet to a historically inept .236. (Sports Illustrated spoke with more than two dozen people; most of them requested anonymity to discuss cheating within their own organizations.)

“If you see the handwriting on the wall, you’re in the toilet.”

- Fred Sanford

Jobu

Post by Jobu » Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:35 pm

Someone should tell the Pirates about this… :mrgreen:
“Ah, who cares about Seattle’s Space Needle? Dumb looking building, you can see the whole stupid town, built by some jag off! Pittsburgh got Mt. Warshington, gorgeous hillside, beautiful views of the whole city, built by God…we win!” - Pittsburgh Dad

jebrick

Post by jebrick » Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:30 am

Jobu wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:35 pm
Someone should tell the Pirates about this… :mrgreen:
Perhaps they are but just not as well as the others :-)

Just like the steroid era, it makes average pitchers good but good pitchers into HOF numbers

- Fred Sanford

jebrick

Post by jebrick » Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:07 am

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/315 ... nswer-that
he has ever used a particular sticky paste called Spider Tack while on the mound.

"I don't [long pause] ... I don't know ... I don't quite know how to answer that, to be honest," Cole said

He then paused again before continuing, "There are customs and practices that have been passed down from older players to younger players, from the last generation of players to this generation of players, and I think there are some things that are certainly out of bounds in that regard.
He could have pleaded the 5th and done less damage.

- Fred Sanford

SteelPro

Post by SteelPro » Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:24 am

jebrick wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:07 am
he has ever used a particular sticky paste called Spider Tack while on the mound.

"I don't [long pause] ... I don't know ... I don't quite know how to answer that, to be honest," Cole said

He then paused again before continuing, "There are customs and practices that have been passed down from older players to younger players, from the last generation of players to this generation of players, and I think there are some things that are certainly out of bounds in that regard.
So he basically threw AJ Burnett under the bus.
People who quote themselves look like dogs who lick their balls

- Deebo referring to SteelerDayTrader

jebrick

Post by jebrick » Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:15 pm

SteelPro wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:24 am
jebrick wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:07 am

So he basically threw AJ Burnett under the bus.
My bet is he learned it in Houston as that is when his pitching really took off, which goes back to Jobu's point :-)

- Fred Sanford

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic