Congratulations to Jacob Stallings!

MJG75

Congratulations to Jacob Stallings!

Post by MJG75 » Tue Nov 09, 2021 3:05 pm

Gold glove! He did have some sick defensive stats, and beyond that, he is such a great presence in the clubhouse and with the staff. Thanks for giving us some quality play, Jacob, and for your work in the community.

https://www.mlb.com/news/jacob-stalling ... love-award

Jobu

Post by Jobu » Tue Nov 09, 2021 3:11 pm

Wow…finally some good stuff from the Buccos. That’s quite an achievement for Stallings.
Of course the Pirates brass is probably salivating at the thought of his increased trade value from the award… :lol:
“Ah, who cares about Seattle’s Space Needle? Dumb looking building, you can see the whole stupid town, built by some jagoff! Pittsburgh got Mt. Warshington, gorgeous hillside, beautiful views of the whole city, built by God…we win!” - Pittsburgh Dad

MJG75

Post by MJG75 » Tue Nov 09, 2021 3:52 pm

Just real happy for this guy, he tries hard every play and it deserved this kind of recognition. By all accounts, he is a great community guy as well. You are probably right in that even though it would be sweet to see Jacob transition to our next starter at backstop, this award probably priced him out of Pittsburgh.

SteelPro

Post by SteelPro » Sat Nov 13, 2021 9:31 pm

Stallings has turned into a nice player. Also seems to be a bright guy with some good leadership skills. He has future manager written all over him. Happy to see him get some recognition for quality work behind the dish.
People who quote themselves look like dogs who lick their balls

- Deebo referring to SteelerDayTrader

Jobu

Post by Jobu » Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:04 pm

Jobu wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 3:11 pm
Wow…finally some good stuff from the Buccos. That’s quite an achievement for Stallings.
Of course the Pirates brass is probably salivating at the thought of his increased trade value from the award… :lol:
And…
https://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2021/11 ... rlins/?amp
“Ah, who cares about Seattle’s Space Needle? Dumb looking building, you can see the whole stupid town, built by some jagoff! Pittsburgh got Mt. Warshington, gorgeous hillside, beautiful views of the whole city, built by God…we win!” - Pittsburgh Dad

JackLambert58

Post by JackLambert58 » Tue Nov 30, 2021 1:50 am

Also goodbye to Colin Moran DFA'd today. He was the last man standing from the Gerrit Cole trade.

https://rumbunter.com/2021/11/29/pittsb ... ssignment/

#GoNuttingsWallet
"Jack Lambert is mean and relentless wherever he goes, on and off the field! I do remember many times he would chase me in practice, but no way would I let him catch me" - Franco Harris

MJG75

Post by MJG75 » Fri Dec 03, 2021 8:35 pm

JackLambert58 wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 1:50 am
Also goodbye to Colin Moran DFA'd today. He was the last man standing from the Gerrit Cole trade.

https://rumbunter.com/2021/11/29/pittsb ... ssignment/

#GoNuttingsWallet
Damn difficult to form any kind of attachment to the team when the players are on a turnstile, particularly after they do well (Stallings and Frazier, as most recent examples). Older fans either have it easier or harder, but younger fans are just turning away from the sport (not just in Pittsburgh, but Nutting is one of the very worst, if not THE worst, of the small market owners, so it's more pronounced here). Every damn time there is a CBA, I hold out some hope that rational minds will prevail and implement a salary cap system similar to that in most of the other major sports. But, yeah, the big salary players will never go for that and their voices get heard, and everyone hopes to be one of those guys too, so they have allies among the lower paid players. Dammit.

Nutting could ease the pain though. We could actually go for some mid-range ML FA talent (mostly need pitching, but another vet outfielder---ahem...Cutch, for example!), instead of consistently going for the waiver wire and DFA castoffs. That would involve spending a little money now that he would likely not to spend, but consider it an investment. If families can come out and watch some entertaining baseball as well as enjoy the park and all it has to offer, that's a win and it translates to more merchandise sales, etc. I can never figure Nutting out. There are other small market owners, some in markets smaller than Pittsburgh, some of whom take some risks, sign some guys to generate enthusiasm among the fans, to tick up the win column numbers and who knows, you might even compete with that sort of crew of young players and a decent vet here or there.

There are a number of baseball moves that I think the Bucs should make this off-season, but the 3 that are directly tied to PR are the following, and one was already accomplished. I know I shouldn't, but holding out hope for the other 2 as well, particularly one of them.

Sign Yoshi, one year deal. Done! Popular fan favorite, and if he continues to hit HR's at the pace he did for us, he'll continue to be so.

Extend Reynolds. Pick a guy and make him your guy. He's a slightly older Cutch when we were last at this stage of team development. MVP type candidate, he will only improve. One of the best pure line-drive hitters with power I've seen since Al Oliver. This is the one I REALLY want to see happen, because it not only sends a message to the fan base, but to the players as well (both on and not on our team).

Sign Cutch, 3 year deal (3rd year as an club option). Let him retire a Bucco. Fans, particularly this season, will go bananas, and seats will be filled. And how fucking cool would it be to see Cutch bridge this, now younger group, to divisional and post-season competition! I know this one is the pipe dream, and to this point, Nutting NEVER makes decisions like this, but hell, gotta dream, right?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic