LETS GO BUCS !

jeemie

Re: LETS GO BUCS !

Post by jeemie » Thu Apr 27, 2023 2:13 am

Nice bounce back win!

Interesting factoid…last year the Dodgers won 111 games, and the Pirates lost 100.

Yet the Bucs went 5-1 against the Dodgers.

“Yeah we suck, be there is a chance we could suck slightly more if we try to correct the problem.” - Art Deuce (summarized by SteelPerch)

Dan Smith--BYU

Post by Dan Smith--BYU » Thu Apr 27, 2023 2:55 am

and the Dodgers dominated the Padres in the regular season but lost in the playoffs to them.
The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently.

Nietzsche

MJG75

Post by MJG75 » Thu Apr 27, 2023 3:09 am

I give credit where it is due. I still have a lot of disregard for The Nut. The dismantling of a playoff calibre team after 2015 left a pain in my gut that remains to this day. But here he is, 2nd high paying contract (more than the first), in 2 seasons. No bums on the squad this year. I had a good feeling about Cherington from day 1, the only issue being Nutting and his miserly ways. I see that may be working, even more than the last time the Bucs got good. This is fun and if we get the support of The Nut when it means the most (trade deadline), well, let's see what happens. I'm enjoying this, folks. A nice present. Signing Reynolds signifies that they feel they can win now. Early returns show they could be right. Let's go Bucs!

Stlcrtn1974

Post by Stlcrtn1974 » Thu Apr 27, 2023 10:20 am

I quit watching baseball over 25 years ago, when Wayne Huizenga bought a world series and dismantled that team the next year. I was an Indian's fan, never missing watching or listening to a game, just like I do for the Steelers.
I started watching a few innings here and there this year of the Pirates. I love the old school game they are playing, Billy Ball. Last night I watched a few innings and saw alot of stealing, attempted squeeze, and guys going the other way with the ball when the infield is shifted. Fundamentals, which is what no team in the league does anymore. I don't know if it is sustainable through a whole season but I think the Pirates should be possibly fighting for a wild card spot instead of 100 losses.

jeemie

Post by jeemie » Thu Apr 27, 2023 1:20 pm

Stlcrtn1974 wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2023 10:20 am
I quit watching baseball over 25 years ago, when Wayne Huizenga bought a world series and dismantled that team the next year. I was an Indian's fan, never missing watching or listening to a game, just like I do for the Steelers.
I started watching a few innings here and there this year of the Pirates. I love the old school game they are playing, Billy Ball. Last night I watched a few innings and saw alot of stealing, attempted squeeze, and guys going the other way with the ball when the infield is shifted. Fundamentals, which is what no team in the league does anymore. I don't know if it is sustainable through a whole season but I think the Pirates should be possibly fighting for a wild card spot instead of 100 losses.
This is the one thing I noted as I well. The Pirates are one of the few teams this year that decided to embrace the rules changes, and it is paying off in a big way early on.

Some more good news…it looks like Henry Davis has finally solved AA pitching. He now has five homers and his OPS is up to 1.021 at Altoona. He is fast becoming a candidate to be called up later this year.

Luckily he has position flexibility because although neither Hedges nor Delay are big league bats (I know Delay has been raking, but his .400 BABIP is unsustainable) they have been handling the pitching staff well.

If Endy recovers from his injury as well, the Pirates might have an embarrassment of riches at catcher.

Like I said, the team has surprised me, and I don’t expect this to last…but they may make it a interesting summer, and but for the first time in a long time, the future is bright….IF Nutting finally puts his money where his mouth is and complements the youngsters with the right vet mix.

I mean, Oviedo looks like a steal, Roansy is finally looking like the stud we want him to be, Quinn Priester is showing well at AAA. Add them to Keller who finally looks like he’s figured out things, and that’s the makings of a pretty damn good young rotation. I’d still want vet depth at pitcher bath at the starter level and bullpen (pace it…Hill is old and Velasquez is not going to continue what he’s been doing).

2023 should be interesting. 2024 maybe they are contenders…if Nutting doesn’t fuck it up.
“Yeah we suck, be there is a chance we could suck slightly more if we try to correct the problem.” - Art Deuce (summarized by SteelPerch)

SteelPro

Post by SteelPro » Thu Apr 27, 2023 5:35 pm

I’m very happy with the rule changes. It is a better brand of baseball. We are seeing a lot more movement on the base paths and considerably more game action overall.
People who quote themselves look like dogs who lick their balls

- Deebo referring to SteelerDayTrader

MJG75

Post by MJG75 » Thu Apr 27, 2023 7:04 pm

SteelPro wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2023 5:35 pm
I’m very happy with the rule changes. It is a better brand of baseball. We are seeing a lot more movement on the base paths and considerably more game action overall.
I have to agree. I wish we could have achieved this change (which I believe is retro back to the exciting way baseball used to be played) without the time clocks, but I don't see how they would have. I like the way the game feels super charged again, the way it used to be.

MJG75

Post by MJG75 » Thu Apr 27, 2023 7:05 pm

Raise it! Following some first inning struggles, Keller pitches another gem, 10K in 6 innings, and shut down their lineup after the 1st. Joe and Castro with key HRs in the 6th to give us some insurance. We had 'em all the way! 2 of 3 from the Dodgers, and the game we lost we could have easily won. Let's GO Bucs!

jeemie

Post by jeemie » Thu Apr 27, 2023 7:11 pm

After a minor hiccup on Tuesday, the good times keep rolling.

:lol:

jeemie

Post by jeemie » Thu Apr 27, 2023 7:13 pm

SteelPro wrote:
Baseball stands as an example of how optimizing for success actually made the product far less enjoyable.

Pabst

Post by Pabst » Thu Apr 27, 2023 7:39 pm

jeemie wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2023 7:13 pm
SteelPro wrote:
Baseball stands as an example of how optimizing for success actually made the product far less enjoyable.
PREACH!!!!

I'll admit that i hated the idea of a pitch clock, but it's led to some unexpected benefits (as Pro pointed out).

Oh hey, Bucs take 2 of 3 from LA!

Dan Smith--BYU

Post by Dan Smith--BYU » Thu Apr 27, 2023 11:24 pm

the rule changes have clearly been a huge boost to the watchability of the sport
The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently.

Nietzsche

jeemie

Post by jeemie » Sat Apr 29, 2023 8:00 pm

Raise it yet again.

This time Miguel Andjuar is the hero with a two run blast to break a 2-2 tie and three runs driven in.

19-8 through precisely 1/6 of the season.

Dan Smith--BYU

Post by Dan Smith--BYU » Sat Apr 29, 2023 8:24 pm

They've tied 2020 wins and there are two games left in April

Nietzsche

SteelPro

Post by SteelPro » Sat Apr 29, 2023 9:50 pm

Not sure if anyone has seen this yet, but MLB is going to experiment with designated runners in the Atlantic League.

jeemie

Post by jeemie » Sat Apr 29, 2023 10:57 pm

Pirates up 3-0 in game two.

It’s almost unreal…

jeemie

Post by jeemie » Sun Apr 30, 2023 12:03 am

OK so it looks as if Jack Suwinski may have figured things out… :lol:

jeemie

Post by jeemie » Sun Apr 30, 2023 12:50 am

Miguel Andujar gets called up….hits a home run in each game of the doubleheader and plates six.

It is magic right now.

jeemie

Post by jeemie » Sun Apr 30, 2023 1:03 am

With that 16-1 win, the Pirates now have a +53 run differential, second only to Texas (+57) and Tampa Bay (+97).

MJG75

Post by MJG75 » Sun Apr 30, 2023 12:58 pm

Just loving this! What a start!

jeemie

Post by jeemie » Sun Apr 30, 2023 2:09 pm

Lol Nutting is off the hook.,.for now.

Another owner has (temporarily) taken his place as most despised.

https://twitter.com/SoxOn35th/status/16 ... 43649?s=20

PS I’m not letting Nutting off the hook. I still don’t trust him as far as I could kick him.

SteelPro

Post by SteelPro » Sun Apr 30, 2023 2:35 pm

Nutting is not incompetent. He’s just cheap. He’s actually really good at hiring baseball guys that share his vision. They might not be the very best baseball men, but they generally aren’t terrible, and they don’t seem to mind working with shoestring budgets.

jeemie

Post by jeemie » Sun Apr 30, 2023 9:32 pm

Welp they are getting walloped today.

MJG75

Post by MJG75 » Sun Apr 30, 2023 10:13 pm

Yep, today looks like just one of those days.
Key will be how they respond to it next game. You're only as good as your next starting pitcher is as true as you're only as bad as your last starting pitcher. Let's pick it back up!

Pabst

Post by Pabst » Mon May 01, 2023 2:42 pm

The still took the series. A sweep is tough to pull off, even against the Nats.

Now we're off to Tampa for 3 against the best team in baseball followed by 3 at home with a very good Blue Jays team. How they weather this storm will tell us a lot about these young Bucs

jeemie

Post by jeemie » Tue May 02, 2023 6:11 pm

Series I have been waiting for starts tonight.

This is the week that might start to tell us if the Pirates are wheat or chaff.

I will be pleased with a split.

But seriously...when's the last time we could say the Pirates are one of the teams in a series featuring the teams with the two best records in the Majors?

jeemie

Post by jeemie » Wed May 03, 2023 12:35 am

The umpires are fucking the Pirates with their pants on tonight.

jeemie

Post by jeemie » Wed May 03, 2023 1:39 am

Pirates might still have lost, but they were robbed of a potential multi-run inning by a missed balk that was blatant and an inconsistent strike zone by the ump.

OTOH we gave the Rays extra outs and two runs by losing the ball in the ceiling and a bad throw by Austin Hedges.

jeemie

Post by jeemie » Thu May 04, 2023 12:42 am

More absolutely horrendous fielding as the Buccos come thudding back to earth a bit.

Pabst

Post by Pabst » Thu May 04, 2023 1:22 pm

Jumping in to say the Cardinals have the NL's worst record and their fans are in melt down.

The schadenfreude I'm experiencing right now is glorious :lol:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic