Freak SS

SteelPro

Freak SS

Post by SteelPro » Thu Jun 23, 2022 6:18 pm

The Oneil Cruz era is now underway. He looks like a rare talent. His first game with Bucs this year he recored the hardest thrown ball my an MLB IF this season according to statcast. He very well might be a generational talent that can turn around the Pirates' fortunes. Even if he falls well short of that, he won't fall short on being a freak specimen for a SS. Cruz is the largest SS that has ever manned the position and he is so by a large margin. Only 6 players over 6'5" have ever appeared in an MLB game at SS. None of them played the position regularly. Mike Morse (remember him) played 57 games total at SS early in his career. Cruz is two inches taller than Morse. Cruz is three inches taller than any regular MLB SS that ever played. The Pirates still suck and Cruz may or may not change that. But he is unique and that makes Pirates at least a little more interesting than they've been in years.

People who quote themselves look like dogs who lick their balls

- Deebo referring to SteelerDayTrader

MJG75

Post by MJG75 » Fri Jun 24, 2022 8:52 am

SteelPro wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 6:18 pm
The Oneil Cruz era is now underway. He looks like a rare talent. His first game with Bucs this year he recored the hardest thrown ball my an MLB IF this season according to statcast. He very well might be a generational talent that can turn around the Pirates' fortunes. Even if he falls well short of that, he won't fall short on being a freak specimen for a SS. Cruz is the largest SS that has ever manned the position and he is so by a large margin. Only 6 players over 6'5" have ever appeared in an MLB game at SS. None of them played the position regularly. Mike Morse (remember him) played 57 games total at SS early in his career. Cruz is two inches taller than Morse. Cruz is three inches taller than any regular MLB SS that ever played. The Pirates still suck and Cruz may or may not change that. But he is unique and that makes Pirates at least a little more interesting than they've been in years.
Wild stuff. Unreal. But I don't think the Pirates suck. Not once injuries, and concern for bottom dollar, and just lights starting to turn on for some guys, notably pitchers. Its happening. You can see it, you can sense it. They are on the verge of potentially putting together something special. Its not just Cruz. Reynolds is the real deal and is coming on lately, as I trusted he would. Hayes Is exciting and looks to be something special. Madris, Suwinski. The list goes on. Once we flipped from the marginal dumpster dive talent to the blue star potential Ben's assembled via shrewd trades and drafts and man it is fun! Now they will need to learn how to win together and believe in themselves, and yeah could be a very fun ride. I'm not looking for a dynasty. I only have a short time left and with state of the world, feels like that time is rapidly drawing to a close. Give me a handful of competitive years with a WS appearance, and preferably victory, and I can pass on an even happier man than I already am, having experienced and enjoyed 3 such periods in my lifetime (not to mention the highs experienced with our other teams). Lets Go Bucs!

ironzabo

Post by ironzabo » Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:12 am

My man MG !

You laid it out perfectly there my brother ;)

MUCH LOVE

Steeldrama

Post by Steeldrama » Mon Jun 27, 2022 5:46 pm

Thanks for the insightful posts Pro and MJG
Dig that there's some optimism around these young Bucs

I made my semi-yearly appearance at PNC on Father's Day
I've been to dozens of Braves games the past few years but seeing the Suwinski kid club 3 homers including the walk off was more enjoyable than any of them.

Gotta hope the influx of talent brought in by Ben Cherington is developed and more importantly is kept in Pittsburgh.

Would love to see the Pirates win a World Series before I die.
Last time it happened I was in the 3rd grade.

Go Bucs
Go Oneil
Nick Markakis on Astros: "Every guy over there needs a beating."

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic