The Lumber Company 1974-1976

MJG75

The Lumber Company 1974-1976

Post by MJG75 » Sat Sep 17, 2022 8:57 am

Meeting the Cobra and reading his latest book about his experiences as a player got me thinking about that decade and missed opportunities. Could we have had a City of Champions earlier in the decade? Would have been tough to beat those As and Reds teams those years, but if a few things had turned differently, we might have made it through one time to do it.

*If Blass didn't mysteriously and completely fall of the cliff, we have our Ace through these years.

*Less desperation to bolster pitching. Would have helped if Dock Ellis didn't also decline around this time. We bled so much of our young hitting through the middle and end of the 70s in order to get better on the mound with mixed results, and a depleted farm system by 1980.

*Bullpen was a big culprit, as between Giusti's and Teke's high points, we lacked a stopper, except in 77 with Goose, who we should have kept. Maybe we win in 78 over the Phil's. Actually if we had beat them that season, I am confident we would have gone all the way that season.

*Hebner's decline. But we picked up Bill Robinson so maybe a wash.

*Lack of a decent SS after Gene Alley and Jackie Hernandez until we got Foli in 79.

*Cash, who we traded after 74, was better than Rennie, much as I loved him too. He had GREAT years for the Phils in 75-77.

*Captain Willie struggled through these years with injuries. Imagine having the Stargell of 71-73 during the 74-76 stretch. He had good seasons, but didn't crack the 30 HR mark again until 1979.

JackLambert58

Post by JackLambert58 » Sun Sep 25, 2022 8:16 pm

Let's not forget The Great One's tragic demise. He was 37 when he passed away. I believe he had at least two maybe three more good seasons left which makes him retire in 1975. Maybe he puts them over the LA hump in '74. Not so sure about Cincy in '75.

Yeah, if Blass, Dock and Briles could have gotten it together as a good 1-2-3 punch in the starting rotation for a good chunk of the 70's, that might have brought more than two WS trophies during the decade.

Also, you mentioned SS, Mean Joe. What if the Bucs stuck with Freddie Patek. He went on to be a good one with the Royals.

Even with all those what ifs, I am glad I experienced a time when the Bucs were always in the running as opposed to the past 30 years save a few seasons when you know this team ain't winning dick on Opening Day.
"Jack Lambert is mean and relentless wherever he goes, on and off the field! I do remember many times he would chase me in practice, but no way would I let him catch me" - Franco Harris

MJG75

Post by MJG75 » Mon Sep 26, 2022 11:57 am

Oh man, I didn't even consider what would be if The Great One had lived. That just felt so big and would have been the ultimate game changer. It would have changed 73 completely, maybe we compete that season. Probably we do. Things that would have likely changed had Clemente lived:

Blass doesn't fall off the wagon.
Sangy stays at C, and we don't mess around with him in RF.
We make the playoffs in 73 and who knows.

I think you're right, and The Great One plays 3 more seasons, at least. I believe he would have pulled an early Brady and played at a high level well into his 40s. Where does that leave the logjam they already had at OF and 1B during that time.

I forgot about Patek! Frankie Taveras was horrible but he had speed which they started valuing more around 74-75. They made some questionable decisions with personnel around the mid 70s I thought, but hey it paid off in 79.

Can't argue with anything you said in your last paragraph, Jack. Agree 100%, I take the 72-78 Bucs, anyday, any way.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic