Let's Go Bucs 2024!

MJG75

Let's Go Bucs 2024!

Post by MJG75 » Wed Oct 04, 2023 8:06 pm

I'm calling it here. Not WS necessarily, but competitive until the last week with a wild card or division in the balance? Definitely. 2024 is the year we get back to respectability and eke out a winning record. No more kicking the can down the road for this current rebuild. Now is the time.

I thought this could be a thread where we can post our thoughts, notes, reflections and just generally shoot the shit during the off-season and leading into the 2024 season.

Starting pitching, as always, is key. I believe we have the depth going into the season, with guys bouncing back who regressed this past season, and other guys getting healthy.

Oneill Cruz being back is cause enough for optimism, but there are other reasons to think 2024 is the year we start to compete again. We had a winning record down the stretch, and while that isn't always a predictor, in this case I believe it can be, because we transformed into nearly an entirely different team after the trade deadline: much younger, bullpen arms starting games, etc.

Need to figure out RF and Henry Davis. With his arm, I take the chance to see if he can master the position in the off-season and spring training. Can't give up on him, that is sure.

Hayes and Reynolds had decent, if not All-Star level seasons. I expect more from Hayes next season, as he has shown that he can hit better than he has most of the past 2. I also expect an All-Star return to form from Reynolds.

I love Endy at C. I think he's going to be a really good one, and his bat will likely come back to form next season as well.

Need to figure out the logjam in the OF and at 2B, and figure out whose on first. Triolo at 1B? If his power that he showed near the end of the season is real, maybe.

Your thoughts are most welcome.

Pabst

Post by Pabst » Wed Oct 04, 2023 9:51 pm

MJG75 wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2023 8:06 pm
I'm calling it here. Not WS necessarily, but competitive until the last week with a wild card or division in the balance? Definitely. 2024 is the year we get back to respectability and eke out a winning record. No more kicking the can down the road for this current rebuild. Now is the time.

I thought this could be a thread where we can post our thoughts, notes, reflections and just generally shoot the shit during the off-season and leading into the 2024 season.

Starting pitching, as always, is key. I believe we have the depth going into the season, with guys bouncing back who regressed this past season, and other guys getting healthy.

Oneill Cruz being back is cause enough for optimism, but there are other reasons to think 2024 is the year we start to compete again. We had a winning record down the stretch, and while that isn't always a predictor, in this case I believe it can be, because we transformed into nearly an entirely different team after the trade deadline: much younger, bullpen arms starting games, etc.

Need to figure out RF and Henry Davis. With his arm, I take the chance to see if he can master the position in the off-season and spring training. Can't give up on him, that is sure.

Hayes and Reynolds had decent, if not All-Star level seasons. I expect more from Hayes next season, as he has shown that he can hit better than he has most of the past 2. I also expect an All-Star return to form from Reynolds.

I love Endy at C. I think he's going to be a really good one, and his bat will likely come back to form next season as well.

Need to figure out the logjam in the OF and at 2B, and figure out whose on first. Triolo at 1B? If his power that he showed near the end of the season is real, maybe.

Your thoughts are most welcome.

The guys highlighted above are all 25 (Happy Birthday, O'Neil Cruz!) or younger. Hayes is 26, and Reynolds 28. 2/3 of the lineup is still young an on the upswing.

Regarding pitching, a piece you didn't mention is that 3 of the MLB's top 100 prospects are Skenes, Jones, and Solometo - all starters in the Pirates system. Skenes and Jones are expected to crack the lineup sometime next year. I haven't mentioned Quinn Priester, either.

There are definitely some pieces they still need, but lots to be excited about.

MJG75

Post by MJG75 » Thu Oct 05, 2023 1:56 pm

Right you are about the pitching looking up, at least potentially. With Skenes and Solemeto and Jones on deck, and Priester is going to figure it out, I believe. We'll see about Contreras and Ortiz, but I also think they can figure it out and get back on track.

Agree also about the age of the club being a positive at this point. Very exciting.

How about the coaching staff? It looks like they let everyone go at AAA and AA. I wonder about Haines and the major league staff. I also am still on the fence re: Shelty. I pretty much knew I liked Murtaugh, Hurdle, Leyland, and Tanner right away. Still unsure about Shelty, but let's see what he can do with some real talent on the club, which I believe we do have now and will have even more so next season.

Dan Smith--BYU

Post by Dan Smith--BYU » Sat Oct 07, 2023 12:33 pm

Unfortunately occasional Livvy Dunne attendance will boost gate receipts, keeping pig owners happy in slop.
The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently.

Nietzsche

Dan Smith--BYU

Post by Dan Smith--BYU » Mon Oct 16, 2023 4:42 pm

We are all Rangers fans now. I guess AZ winning wouldn't be so bad either but the other two teams are unlikeable.
The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently.

Nietzsche

MJG75

Post by MJG75 » Wed Dec 13, 2023 8:38 pm

Well, we just lost Endy for 2024. Elbow injury playing winter ball, has to have surgery. Things not looking so good already. Ugh. And we wasted catcher development for Davis by sticking him in RF all last season. Better get him lots of reps this spring.

Dan Smith--BYU

Post by Dan Smith--BYU » Sat Dec 16, 2023 6:22 pm

I fail to see how they compete with the Dodgers, who are going after Glasnow BTW

Nietzsche

MJG75

Post by MJG75 » Mon Dec 18, 2023 1:56 pm

Yeah, well, I fail to see that also, but thankfully they are in another division.

I'm not at all pleased with the way the off season has been going, however. It's far from over, but....They aren't acting like they're ready to compete in 2024, by my account. Dammit.

MJG75

Post by MJG75 » Wed Dec 20, 2023 2:17 pm

Finally some off season signings I like. Martin Perez from the Rangers could be a great pickup, hopeful at least.

Also happy that they finally resigned Cutch, the inevitable, I realize, but still nice to see as a Christmas present. At 37, Cutch isn't moving the needle the way he used to, but he can still get on base, walks a lot, still has a little pop, and the intangibles in clubhouse presence are invaluable. Also, he happens to be the most popular Bucco around these parts in a long time. Fans will still come out to see him play.

Dan Smith--BYU

Post by Dan Smith--BYU » Fri Dec 22, 2023 8:32 pm

Of course the Dodgers sign Yamamoto.

It's over for small market teams.

The league needs a hard no bullshit cap.

Nietzsche

jeemie

Post by jeemie » Tue Jan 23, 2024 1:26 pm

Pirates to sign Aroldis Chapman.

I’d love to be a fly on the wall when he and Cutch meet for the first time.

Pirates actually will have the makings of a decent bullpen.

Too bad it won’t be given many leads to protect.
“Yeah we suck, be there is a chance we could suck slightly more if we try to correct the problem.” - Art Deuce (summarized by SteelPerch)

MJG75

Post by MJG75 » Tue Jan 23, 2024 2:41 pm

jeemie wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2024 1:26 pm
Pirates to sign Aroldis Chapman.

I’d love to be a fly on the wall when he and Cutch meet for the first time.

Pirates actually will have the makings of a decent bullpen.

Too bad it won’t be given many leads to protect.
Kind of an odd signing, but I'll take it. Really fortifies the pen, but also may suggest a Bednar trade in the offing. As constructed, I think the Bucs may score some runs. The main issue will be keeping the other team from scoring more.

ironzabo

Post by ironzabo » Wed Jan 24, 2024 2:49 am

First Division Title in far too long might just be on the horizon now boys 8-)

Wait till yinz get a load of young Mr Skenes

MJG75

Post by MJG75 » Wed Jan 24, 2024 4:40 pm

I definitely believe more moves will be made before the off-season is over. The Chapman signing feels like it might be part of something else they have brewing. Seems an overpay for essentially a setup man at this point in his career. Let's see if they can sign at least one more quality starting pitcher.

Dan Smith--BYU

Post by Dan Smith--BYU » Wed Feb 14, 2024 12:02 am

From Madden re Trevor Bauer:

"Signing Bauer would give the Pirates’ sales pitch a rare taste of legitimacy.

What if the Pirates had Bauer and Mitch Keller at the top of their rotation with Paul Skenes on the way? Tack on a bullpen that features David Bednar and Aroldis Chapman as a righty-lefty combination for closer and setup man.

If the Pirates have that, and hit even adequately, there would be the legit possibility of finishing above .500. Doing that is all it takes to stay in the race for a wild card.

If that doesn’t happen, trade Bauer to a contender at the deadline. If he’s pitching decent, the Pirates would get good return after absorbing the PR hit of signing Bauer. (That shouldn’t happen, but it will.)

Bauer says he would pitch for the MLB minimum of $740,000.

Bauer also said his agent contacted the Pirates and was turned down.

Why on earth would the Pirates do that?

The Pirates are paying J.T. Brubaker $2.275 million but won’t pay Bauer $740k."

Nietzsche

MJG75

Post by MJG75 » Fri Feb 16, 2024 7:36 pm

I kind of doubt if the Bucs will pick up Bauer. The price is right that is for sure. Not sure what's up with that, sort of seems like collusion among the owners. My only concern would be his rep as a bad teammate, a young team doesn't want to have that, but maybe he's turned a corner. No way to know unless you give him a shot.

The off season has been mostly underwhelming and once again we are left with hopes and wishes for things to work out for a variety of reclamation projects and still unproven youngsters. I'm not surprised, but I'm still going to pull for an improvement over last season. If they can improve by 7 or 8 games, they have a shot at the post-season. Right now, hard to say that will happen, a lot of stuff has to go right and injuries have to not happen (they already had 2 that seem to be making them consider punting until they're back, which is ridiculous in Year 5).

Pabst

Post by Pabst » Thu Feb 22, 2024 5:33 pm

MJG75 wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 7:36 pm
I kind of doubt if the Bucs will pick up Bauer. The price is right that is for sure. Not sure what's up with that, sort of seems like collusion among the owners. My only concern would be his rep as a bad teammate, a young team doesn't want to have that, but maybe he's turned a corner. No way to know unless you give him a shot.

The off season has been mostly underwhelming and once again we are left with hopes and wishes for things to work out for a variety of reclamation projects and still unproven youngsters. I'm not surprised, but I'm still going to pull for an improvement over last season. If they can improve by 7 or 8 games, they have a shot at the post-season. Right now, hard to say that will happen, a lot of stuff has to go right and injuries have to not happen (they already had 2 that seem to be making them consider punting until they're back, which is ridiculous in Year 5).
Bauer is 33, hasn't pitched in the MLB in 3 years, and even setting aside the assault allegations has a reputation for being a pain in the ass in the clubhouse. Add to that the fact that Bauer has been pretty inconsistent in his career and I'm not shocked that the Pirates don't want to assume the risk.

Meanwhile....Keller extended for 5 years!

ol skool

Post by ol skool » Thu Feb 22, 2024 6:29 pm

Very good news...

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2024/02/ ... years.html
The Pirates and right-hander Mitch Keller are in agreement on a five-year contract extension, Jeff Passan and Kiley McDaniel of ESPN report. It’s a $77MM guarantee for the 27-year-old righty, per Jason Mackey of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. Kevin Gorman of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review reports that the new contract includes the 2024 campaign and runs through 2028. Keller had previously been slated to reach free agency following the 2025 campaign.
Each of Keller, Reynolds and Hayes are now signed through at least the 2028 season — the same year that the team’s control windows over shortstop Oneil Cruz and outfielder Jack Suwinski extend. That quintet, paired with Skenes and catchers Henry Davis and Endy Rodriguez, could form the nucleus of the Pirates’ next contending club. Reynolds’ seven-year, $100MM extension and Hayes’ eight-year, $70MM pact are both generally affordable, even by the Pirates’ modest standards, which should give the Bucs flexibility to supplement that core in other ways.

MJG75

Post by MJG75 » Thu Feb 22, 2024 8:21 pm

Great news, re: Keller! I hadn't been online much today and when I finally did, I found this here. I like how the team is starting to sign our best players to extensions. These are players who want to be here! Fuck the FA class! Great stuff! Let's GO, Bucs!

Pabst

Post by Pabst » Fri Feb 23, 2024 10:32 pm

MJG75 wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2024 8:21 pm
Great news, re: Keller! I hadn't been online much today and when I finally did, I found this here. I like how the team is starting to sign our best players to extensions. These are players who want to be here! Fuck the FA class! Great stuff! Let's GO, Bucs!
Just as a recap:
- Hayes, Reynolds, and now Keller are signed long term.
- Bednar has 2 more years of arbitration, so he'll be (relatively) affordable
- Cruz, Endy, Davis, and Priester are all under team control for at least 2 more seasons
- Skenes, Temarr Johnson, Jared Jones, and Bubba Chandler are all elite prospects hitting the majors sooner rather than later

IF (and that's a big if) the young guys develop this season, then 2025 is the time to strike.

ol skool

Post by ol skool » Sat Feb 24, 2024 4:03 pm

Pabst wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2024 10:32 pm
MJG75 wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2024 8:21 pm
Just as a recap:
- Hayes, Reynolds, and now Keller are signed long term.
- Bednar has 2 more years of arbitration, so he'll be (relatively) affordable
- Cruz, Endy, Davis, and Priester are all under team control for at least 2 more seasons
- Skenes, Temarr Johnson, Jared Jones, and Bubba Chandler are all elite prospects hitting the majors sooner rather than later

IF (and that's a big if) the young guys develop this season, then 2025 is the time to strike.
Bednar is an interesting one. Could sign an extension for less than you think. Local boy. And I'll add, he'd still be a prized trade target even with a bigger salary if he continues to perform as he has if the rebuild-to-competing window closes. Playoff teams WILL pony-up for highly paid back-end bullpen guys like him.

The bolded are not controllable for only 2 more seasons. Cruz is controlled through 2028; the rest through 2029.

Very excited to see Skenes, TJ, JJ and Bubba make their way to Pittsburgh.

Bonus: Jack Suwinski is controlled through 2028! Love the leap he made from 2022 to 2023 in terms of OBP in particular. More of that, Jack!

ironzabo

Post by ironzabo » Sun Feb 25, 2024 5:09 am

Buckle Up Boys and Girls 8-)

Obviously

Post by Obviously » Mon Mar 04, 2024 1:51 am

Love the enthusiasm. Maybe they'll break .500.
#NoMoTomlin
#BecauseTomlin
#FireTomlin
#Obviously

MJG75

Post by MJG75 » Wed Mar 13, 2024 6:30 pm

I don't know what all the organizational BS was about Hank Davis not being ready to catch. Not only does he look very ready to catch, he also seems to possess leadership qualities that can be essential for a quality backstop, plus he's raking it in ST so far. Looks like our starter, if you ask me.

MJG75

Post by MJG75 » Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:32 pm

Here is our opening day roster for 2024 (per Jason Mackey):

Regulars (9): Cruz, Reynolds, Hayes, Jack, Tellez, Cutch, Davis, Triolo, Taylor
Bench (4): Delay, Olivares, Williams, Joe
Rotation (5): Keller, Gonzales, Perez, Jones, Ortiz
'Pen (8): Bednar, Chapman, Borucki, Contreras, Fleming, Falter, Stratton, Ryan

So happy to see Jones get the nod. Gonzalez looked much better in his final start of spring. I'm freaking ready. Let's GO Bucs!

ironzabo

Post by ironzabo » Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:39 am

I will be in the house 8-)

LFG

SteelPro

Post by SteelPro » Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:37 pm

I’m bullish on the Bucs this year. I think we may see some October baseball this season.
People who quote themselves look like dogs who lick their balls

- Deebo referring to SteelerDayTrader

MJG75

Post by MJG75 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:54 pm

Good to see you here, Pro, and I agree with you. Nice start to the season with a tough fought 12 inning victory! Nice work up and down the lineup, though there were some gaffes, as well.

ironzabo

Post by ironzabo » Sat Mar 30, 2024 4:45 am

2-0 BABY

JJ on the bump tomorrow night vs the old turd Weathers

LFG

SteelPro

Post by SteelPro » Sat Mar 30, 2024 2:24 pm

Bullpen looks legit. MLB network ranked it 3rd best in baseball, so that isn’t just blind homerism. Lineup is much improved over years past. 1 thru 9 no easy outs. If Davis and Cruz become true mashers like they look like they can be this will be a really good lineup. Only question is starting pitching. I think it’s good enough to be competitive over the regular season. If Skenes is who I think he is this team can be special. He won’t be in the minors for long. I just hope they manage innings appropriately now. I don’t want Skenes and Jones being shut down in September/October. That would make me puke.
People who quote themselves look like dogs who lick their balls

- Deebo referring to SteelerDayTrader

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic