Ed Ott dies

CoolShades

Ed Ott dies

Post by CoolShades » Mon Mar 04, 2024 3:33 am

https://triblive.com/sports/catcher-ed- ... at-age-72/

One of my favorite Buccos from the 70’s. And here’s why.
Ott was known for his toughness, and he wasn’t afraid of a fight. In a game against the New York Mets on Aug. 12, 1977 at Three Rivers Stadium, he slid hard into second baseman Felix Millan while trying to break up a double play. Millan took exception, shouting at Ott and hitting him with a baseball in his hand. Ott picked up Millan and slammed him into his knee, injuring Millan’s shoulder.
I was there! First row, right next to 3rd base. I had an unobstructed view of that brawl. It was awesome!

RIP, Mr. Ott! Thanks for the great memories and the awesome slide in Game 2, 1979 WS!

Mike Tomlin and NHALS - The embodiment of the soft bigotry of lowered expectations.

MJG75

Post by MJG75 » Mon Mar 04, 2024 2:53 pm

So sorry to learn of the loss of Ed Ott. RIP. Otter. You were quite the backstop for us for that 79 World Series team. There are some good stories about Otter in the minors in Dave Parker's book, Cobra, decent read. Never forget his sliding safe across home plate to secure the victory in Game 2 of that 79 Series. He had a very decent year that year, both with the glove and the bat. God bless your family, and may you rest in peace.

Jobu

Post by Jobu » Mon Mar 04, 2024 4:50 pm

“Red Hot” Ed Ott…RIP.
“Ah, who cares about Seattle’s Space Needle? Dumb looking building, you can see the whole stupid town, built by some jagoff! Pittsburgh got Mt. Warshington, gorgeous hillside, beautiful views of the whole city, built by God…we win!” - Pittsburgh Dad

JackLambert58

Post by JackLambert58 » Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:13 am

I won't lie. I hated to see anyone behind home plate for the Bucs in the 70's besides Sangy. However, I got to like and appreciate Ed Ott and his playing style. I daresay he was a steady Eddie *ducks*. I took this photo of Ed warming up at TRS on the evening of July 2, 1980, shortly before a Pirates/Cardinals game at TRS. This was actually the last Pirates game I would attend at TRS as I would be going into the Navy less than a month later. RIP Ed Ott and thank you!
Attachments
FB_IMG_1710760386209.jpg
FB_IMG_1710760386209.jpg (56.82 KiB) Viewed 77 times
"Jack Lambert is mean and relentless wherever he goes, on and off the field! I do remember many times he would chase me in practice, but no way would I let him catch me" - Franco Harris

MJG75

Post by MJG75 » Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:03 pm

Jack, like you, Sangy was my favorite Buccos catcher all time, and remains so even now. It took me a little bit to get accustomed to Duffy Dyer and then eventually The Otter and Steve Nicosia.

I'll never forget a twi night double header in 1978, first game 9th inning we are tied, Otter hits a ball deep to center, gets lost in the lights, he ends up at 3rd, ball gets away on the throw, Otter comes home to score the winning run and the place goes bananas. I've been to many Steelers games at TRS, playoff games, and I've never heard TRS as loud as it was that night. We won the second game in dramatic fashion as well, with Parker scoring the winning run on a balk call. We had to win all 4 games of the series in order to win the division, we lost one of them the next day, but that night, man, it was great. But yeah, from that moment on, I loved me some Ed Ott.

RIP, Ed, bless you and your family.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic