We Are Family

JackLambert58

We Are Family

Post by JackLambert58 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:18 am

Officially 40 years ago tonight.
Attachments
Screenshot_20191017-231554.png
Screenshot_20191017-231554.png (3.14 MiB) Viewed 2189 times

"Jack Lambert is mean and relentless wherever he goes, on and off the field! I do remember many times he would chase me in practice, but no way would I let him catch me" - Franco Harris

MJG75

Post by MJG75 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:02 pm

Damn straight, Jack! That team was so much fun to watch. Having to face Parker and Stargell and Madlock back-to-back in that lineup was terrifying for opposing pitchers. Pops was the leader by deed and word. Parker was the best player in MLB between 1975-1980. The acquisitions of Foli and Mad Dog shored up both our O and D, tremendously. Bill Robinson and The Hammer (Milner) formed a perfect platoon in LF. The Antelope was the most dangerous base-stealer in the league. Teke was dominant in the closer role. The team was also replete with role players who all contributed. Grant Buck Jackson, Mike The Hitman Easler, and the list goes on and on.

Of course, the team always started slow in the 70s and then picked up steam. We fell short in 76, 77, and 78, but in 79 we held on and beat out the Expos and Phillies down to the wire!

Pops-Co-NL MVP, NLCS MVP. World Series MVP. It was his year, and that led to it being OUR year. He was the glue, he was what stirred the drink.

How sweet that sweep of the Reds in the NLCS was! We just dominated the fuck out of them.

Then there was the drama of the WS itself. Coming back from a 3-1 deficit, I believe one of only 6 teams to do that in the WS to that point. How ironic that a team known for hitting won the WS by dominating the O's hitters over the last 3 games. The O's only scored TWO runs over the last THREE games. Our pitching staff, starters and pen both, took command of the Series, and we got just enough timely hitting to close the deal. How about the drama of Skip Tanner's mother passing away the night before Game 5, Skip came in and told the guys, she went up to heaven to help us out. Then he goes and starts Jim Rooker in that must-win game, who would have thought, but it turned out to be the most excellent choice, as Rook was always a gutsy pitcher, who didn't have a lot of great stuff but battled you with every pitch. The perfect choice. 5 innings, 1 run, kept us in the game, for another dramatic decision, to have Blyleven close it out. I heard an interview with Chuck and he said that he was certain that the O's would be totally off-balance having to face one of the nastiest curve-ball pitchers in the league after dealing with Rook's junk for 5 innings. He was absolutely correct!

Great team. Great memories. Thanks, Jack.

JackLambert58

Post by JackLambert58 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:19 pm

Thanks Mean Joe. That World Series in many ways seems like yesterday, and then in other ways it does seem all of 40 years given the team's current status.

I can never say enough about Jim Rooker's performance in Game 5. The Orioles had battered our pitching in the series up until that time. Rooker did what no Pirates pitcher could do up to that point, and the rest like Blyleven, Candy, Grant and Teke followed suit. Shut the Birds down. Yes, Pops was the MVP no doubt, and other Pirates came up big those final three games, but enough cannot be said for what Jim Rooker did.
"Jack Lambert is mean and relentless wherever he goes, on and off the field! I do remember many times he would chase me in practice, but no way would I let him catch me" - Franco Harris

SteelWIll

Post by SteelWIll » Fri Oct 25, 2019 5:47 pm

I still have my program and ticket from the '72 World Series won in 7 against the O's; didnt make the '79 event as i was in college in Boston back when the Pats still sucked.....What fun times those were for the Bucs back then....

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic