Offseason Pens Stuff

This is where old posts that do not fit into any of the new forum categories are dumped.
Donnie Brasco

Re: Offseason Pens Stuff

Post by Donnie Brasco » Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:28 pm

fractalsteel wrote:We could trade Malkin to Oakland/Vegas for a 3rd and 5th round draft choices. The precedent is there.

Maybe Geno is Denny Crane crazy or he got the 'mad cow'. He might be spending too much time with Perkus Tooth.

To be serious this is a player that had 98 points and 42 goals the year before. He got off to the best start of his career this season and was the NHL's second player for the month of October.

Then his game went into a funk that carried most of the season with the exception where he had like 9 goals in 6 games. So what went South so suddenly?
If there is a problem then what is the cause of this sudden downturn?

Is it a coach or teammate? I have my doubts because this is a player quoted as saying he liked to play for Therrien. The only teammate I have ever heard him call out hasn't been with the team in years.

If he has turned into a sulker and bad teammate and doesn't want to change then get rid of him.

Well I think this is a bit different than the AB saga when you look at Malkin. Malkin is an extreme competitor and has no problem sharing the limelight with Sid. The difference is that I think Malkin is more like Ben in this scenario. Ben's fed up with the shit and drama that's been going on.

I'm sure Malkin feels the same by either having a) Lazy Phil or b) shitty leftovers as linemmates lately. Then he sees the organization sign Sid's BFF in Johnson, then trade away Hags and then just a general deviation from what made them successful. I think if Geno is sulking it's because he wants to win so badly, not because he craves the attention.

COR-TEN

Post by COR-TEN » Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:50 pm

He may or may not be a diva, but the fact that reports are highlighting his (alledged) assholish behavior is unsettling.

And from someone that doesn't know shit about hockey, if Malkin is jettisoned, Sid can't do it alone. It'll be a while before the pens sniff a stanley cup.
Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter how good you are, the pigeon is going to shit on the board and strut around like it won anyway.

fractalsteel

Post by fractalsteel » Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:16 pm

Donnie Brasco wrote:
fractalsteel wrote:We could trade Malkin to Oakland/Vegas for a 3rd and 5th round draft choices. The precedent is there.

Maybe Geno is Denny Crane crazy or he got the 'mad cow'. He might be spending too much time with Perkus Tooth.

To be serious this is a player that had 98 points and 42 goals the year before. He got off to the best start of his career this season and was the NHL's second player for the month of October.

Then his game went into a funk that carried most of the season with the exception where he had like 9 goals in 6 games. So what went South so suddenly?
If there is a problem then what is the cause of this sudden downturn?

Is it a coach or teammate? I have my doubts because this is a player quoted as saying he liked to play for Therrien. The only teammate I have ever heard him call out hasn't been with the team in years.

If he has turned into a sulker and bad teammate and doesn't want to change then get rid of him.

Well I think this is a bit different than the AB saga when you look at Malkin. Malkin is an extreme competitor and has no problem sharing the limelight with Sid. The difference is that I think Malkin is more like Ben in this scenario. Ben's fed up with the shit and drama that's been going on.

I'm sure Malkin feels the same by either having a) Lazy Phil or b) shitty leftovers as linemmates lately. Then he sees the organization sign Sid's BFF in Johnson, then trade away Hags and then just a general deviation from what made them successful. I think if Geno is sulking it's because he wants to win so badly, not because he craves the attention.

I wasn't(trying to) compare Malkin to AB. One guy has done it all and comes back from serious injuries to be at his best whilst the other is a stats/money whore.
Malkin has said time and time again that he appreciates his stature with the Pens and he is a competitor for sure.

I agree with the Ben comparison and take it further. Malkin and Ben are so capable of doing what seems impossible that you just shake your head in amazement from time to time. Both are capable of doing bone head things that leave you wondering WTF were they thinking?

I'm not sure this Malkin drama is for real that is why I introduced the two fictional characters in my thoughts. If it is true that the organization is pissed off at Malkin I hope the tension can be fixed.

Donnie Brasco

Post by Donnie Brasco » Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:58 pm

COR-TEN wrote:He may or may not be a diva, but the fact that reports are highlighting his (alledged) assholish behavior is unsettling.

And from someone that doesn't know shit about hockey, if Malkin is jettisoned, Sid can't do it alone. It'll be a while before the pens sniff a stanley cup.

The Pens organization can be conniving. When they don't like someone they feed certain members of the media...it's a roundabout way of a middle finger to the player without anyone in the organizatioin looking bad.

I mean Simon Desprese was an alleged gambler - that had no basis at all. He was soon traded
Then you hear the Phil rumors.
Last year it was Letang.
This offseason it's Malkin

So it's a way for the Pens to let other GM's know "hey, I'm not saying this person is available" and not do it publicly. Rumor has it there were offers made for Letang and Phil last year but wasn't enough for JR apparently.
When JR is/was pressed he can say "we never wanted to trade X player...where are you getting that?"

It's a shell game

Locked Previous topicNext topic