Supplement question for fitness posters

This is where old posts that do not fit into any of the new forum categories are dumped.
R_S

Re: Supplement question for fitness posters

Post by R_S » Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:41 pm

Stlcrtn1974 wrote:Sorry to say, but most of this is genetics along with/or processed food. As I have crept in to my 40's, I have noticed I have to watch my carbs more and really limit alcohol, but that's my makeup. I still weigh pretty much the same as I did in my 20's. Some people burn calories faster then others, exercise helps with this. Laziness is probably one of the biggest culprits. Much easier to pick up 2 double cheeseburger then it is to make a veggie drink. I eat mostly all organic food, fruits and vegetables daily, and exercise 5 to 6 times a week (walking, light weights). People still cant believe my age, again genetics. If your lucky enough to not have to watch every calorie you eat, or fast, or Atkins, or Keto, or whatever the fuck, count yourself lucky and remember without your genetics, you would more.then likely be a fat fuck too.

roughly 21% of European adults are obese according to the WHO.

40% of Americans adults are obese according to NCHS study in '15-'16

Those genetics really went to hell in the last couple hundreds years since since coming to the new world! :roll:

COR-TEN

Post by COR-TEN » Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:14 pm

I'd like to know what the stats are for obesity in Europe in 1970. Before american fast food/ processed food infected Europe.
Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter how good you are, the pigeon is going to shit on the board and strut around like it won anyway.

Stlcrtn1974

Post by Stlcrtn1974 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:43 pm

R S wrote:
Stlcrtn1974 wrote:Sorry to say, but most of this is genetics along with/or processed food. As I have crept in to my 40's, I have noticed I have to watch my carbs more and really limit alcohol, but that's my makeup. I still weigh pretty much the same as I did in my 20's. Some people burn calories faster then others, exercise helps with this. Laziness is probably one of the biggest culprits. Much easier to pick up 2 double cheeseburger then it is to make a veggie drink. I eat mostly all organic food, fruits and vegetables daily, and exercise 5 to 6 times a week (walking, light weights). People still cant believe my age, again genetics. If your lucky enough to not have to watch every calorie you eat, or fast, or Atkins, or Keto, or whatever the fuck, count yourself lucky and remember without your genetics, you would more.then likely be a fat fuck too.

Those genetics really went to hell in the last couple hundreds years since since coming to the new world! :roll:

I think processed foods play a big role in it.

R_S

Post by R_S » Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:00 pm

My point is the genetic excuse and thyroid excuse are largely bullshit. I don't consider someone's parents eating like shit and being fat, and their children doing the same as genetic factors.

R_S

Post by R_S » Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:05 pm

COR-TEN wrote:I'd like to know what the stats are for obesity in Europe in 1970. Before american fast food/ processed food infected Europe.

Probably about the same it was for the USA in the 40's and 50's. I'd guess.

This subject aggravates me to no end. Single payer healthcare sounds great. But when you have a country stacked full of people so unhealthy due to their own choices, It makes it very hard for me to pay more for a system to support more turds. Why are smokers the lepers of society yet morbidly obese folks are celebrated as big is beautiful? They are equal dregs on the healthcare system. Seems unfair to me. End Rant.

Pabst

Post by Pabst » Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:36 pm

Stlcrtn1974 wrote:
R S wrote:

I think processed foods play a big role in it.

I'd venture to guess that lifestyle plays a bigger role. Your average European is far more active than the average American.

Legacy User

Post by Legacy User » Sat Jun 22, 2019 4:13 am

It's not genetics. Google pics of Forbes Field crowds in the 1950s and 1960s. Those are your grandparents.

Stop kidding yourselves. It's sugar. This blew up when the government told us to stop eating fat.

Stlcrtn1974

Post by Stlcrtn1974 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:15 pm

Ok, it's not genetics. So if your parents are short, there is a really good chance you will be short as well. If cancer runs on both sides of your family, your kind of fucked. Alcoholism, your more at risk. So does genetics play any part of anything. Sounds like Mongo logic to me. My metabolism runs super fast which allows me to eat alot of food and not gain weight. I guess I am just better then everyone else, not genetics. :roll:

SteelPro

Post by SteelPro » Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:52 pm

Stlcrtn1974 wrote:Ok, it's not genetics. So if your parents are short, there is a really good chance you will be short as well. If cancer runs on both sides of your family, your kind of fucked. Alcoholism, your more at risk. So does genetics play any part of anything. Sounds like Mongo logic to me. My metabolism runs super fast which allows me to eat alot of food and not gain weight. I guess I am just better then everyone else, not genetics. :roll:

It isn't that genetics doesn't matter. It is just that humans have not genetically changed all that much over the last several thousand years. Yet we keep getting fatter. If genetics aren't different then what has changed? Pretty clearly it is food consumption (both what we eat, quantities, and our eating habits) and our activity levels. Studies have shown the average Amish person take more than 3x times the numbers of steps per day as an average American. Similar studies have shown various Europeans take between 2000-4000 more steps per day than Americans. So it is no coincidence that Europeans have lower obesity rates. And I've seen a lot of Amish people. Been to Lancaster many times and I grew up not far from Amish communities near Smicksburg and Dayton. I've never seen a fat Amish man.
People who quote themselves look like dogs who lick their balls

- Deebo referring to SteelerDayTrader

Jobu

Post by Jobu » Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:06 pm

I've never seen a fat Amish man.

This is true...
“Ah, who cares about Seattle’s Space Needle? Dumb looking building, you can see the whole stupid town, built by some jag off! Pittsburgh got Mt. Warshington, gorgeous hillside, beautiful views of the whole city, built by God…we win!” - Pittsburgh Dad

COR-TEN

Post by COR-TEN » Sat Jun 22, 2019 5:39 pm

Dan Smith--BYU wrote:This blew up when the government told us to stop eating fat.
This is the dumbest thing I've read today. And it's only 1:39 in the afternoon.
Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter how good you are, the pigeon is going to shit on the board and strut around like it won anyway.

Legacy User

Post by Legacy User » Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:43 pm

Coming from CorTen, it's the ultimate compliment since he's the AOC of SteelerFury.

Government and academic nutrition pushed saturated fat is bad around 1980. Around the same time, HCFS came into wide use. If you don't get satiated on fat, you will substitute sugar. Look at any graph of obesity diabetes and the onset of nonalcoholic liver disease it takes off at that time. There is a direct correlation between the attempt to eliminate fat from American diets and fat waistlines.

DIETARY FAT does not cause body fat. Dietary fat is the only macro that does not drive insulin to store sugar as fat. This is why keto works.

Legacy User

Post by Legacy User » Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:45 pm

It may be genetics in an individual or a subgroup i.e. Polynesians. Genetics does not explain the advancement of obesity in a population over two generations. Google pics of the March on Washington 1963. MLK was the heaviest guy in most of the pics. African Americans were thin and they were eating bacon and eggs and not eating processed food.

COR-TEN

Post by COR-TEN » Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:47 pm

Coming from the Alex Jones of Steelerfury?

HA!!

Legacy User

Post by Legacy User » Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:55 pm

Are you more arrogant or ignorant? Typical product of the modern educational system where critical thinking is not taught, but attitude is.

Are you saying that sugar is not the main culprit in the expanding of the American waistline?

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/11-graphs-that-show-what-is-wrong-with-modern-diet#section11

By the way, people, understand the difference between group norms and individual characteristics. If I say NBA players as a group are tall, and you say, yeah, but what about Mugsy Bogues, in a snarky tone, you're not smart at all, you're actually very stupid.

COR-TEN

Post by COR-TEN » Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:55 pm

Good Job!! You've got the strawman argument down pat. You can now move on to logical fallacies. . .

But be sure to include the requisite ad hominem.

R_S

Post by R_S » Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:34 pm

COR-TEN wrote:
Dan Smith--BYU wrote:This blew up when the government told us to stop eating fat.
This is the dumbest thing I've read today. And it's only 1:39 in the afternoon.

Its a well known fact man. I get you and Dan's. politics dont jive, but attacking him on that is foolish

It not a partisan issue.

https://beta.washingtonpost.com/lifesty ... utType=amp

jebrick

Post by jebrick » Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:44 pm

Dan Smith--BYU wrote:It's not genetics. Google pics of Forbes Field crowds in the 1950s and 1960s. Those are your grandparents.

Stop kidding yourselves. It's sugar. This blew up when the government told us to stop eating fat.

You can track the weight gain in the US to the explosive growth of growing corn which led to a lot of HFCS in a lot of foods. Happened in the late 70's to early 80's IIRC. I am sure it is not the ONLY reason but it definitely a reason. HFCS is one of the major reason the calorie increase has happened in the normal diet. Especially for people who can't afford a lot of fruits and vegetables and rely on processed foods.
“If you see the handwriting on the wall, you’re in the toilet.”

- Fred Sanford

Legacy User

Post by Legacy User » Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:43 am

You're right but it's both. HCFS is in a lot of processed food but both are glucose and fructose. Sucrose is 50/50 and HCFS is 45/55 I think so it's not that much higher. The damage is tremendous either way. Fructose is metabolized by the liver using the same pathway as alcohol. Before 1980, all fatty liver disease was from alcohol, since 1980 nonalcoholic fatty liver disease has taken off, even in kids. Sugar in all forms substituted for the satiety that was eliminated on low fat. Diabetes type 2 never used to be seen in kids, now it's becoming common. It has a worse prognosis than HIV. It's a national tragedy but we go on subsidizing these criminals.

Legacy User

Post by Legacy User » Sat Jun 29, 2019 8:16 am

Thought I’d give a field report.

Currently sitting among the sans culottes in the train station below Charles de Gaulle Airport. There are some fat motherfuckers speaking French. Not as fat as the people speaking American English, though.

Still Lit out.

Legacy User

Post by Legacy User » Sat Jun 29, 2019 6:12 pm

If you were at Tokyo's Narita Airport, the obesity rate would be 3.5%.

Fast food there is a bento box.

I'm glad you brought up the French. They consume lot of dairy and meat fat, yet have a lower incidence of cardiac death than the US. Thirty years ago it was fashionable to believe it was red wine but that's not it.

So we can keep on believing that the problem is dietary fat instead of sugar, because that's what's always been done, which is pretty much the way Tomlin mentally approaches halftime adjustments and run-pass-kick.

Drummer Boy

Post by Drummer Boy » Sat Jun 29, 2019 7:32 pm

Still Lit wrote:Thought I’d give a field report.

Currently sitting among the sans culottes in the train station below Charles de Gaulle Airport. There are some fat motherfuckers speaking French. Not as fat as the people speaking American English, though.

Still Lit out.

Thanks for the amusing report, Lit! And stay cool.

Stlcrtn1974

Post by Stlcrtn1974 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:49 am

Arent the French known for pastries?

R_S

Post by R_S » Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:44 pm

Stlcrtn1974 wrote:Arent the French known for pastries?

Yes, but not mountain dew, monster energy drinks, fruit roll ups, chicken nuggets, or kool-aid.

Legacy User

Post by Legacy User » Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:08 am

Following up:

1. There are no fat people in Grenoble.
2. Everyone is disturbingly good looking.
3. The creme brûlée is not disgustingly sweet like it is in the US.
4. Unbelievably, loads of French still smoke, which is border line submental.
5. I thanked every French person I could for his /her hatred of the British on the Fourth of July. And every single one loved me for it.
6. Hiking in the French Alps is one of the most joyful things I have ever done.

Currently en route back to Paris on a bullet train which, IMO, is 10x more pleasant than taking a plane. Then again, France is only the size of Texas.

Lit out.

Steelafan77

Post by Steelafan77 » Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:07 pm

First off, Nutrition. What are you eating and how much?
Of course the proper diet [eating habits] is a must if you require certain results. You can work out hard every day and burn lots of calories while building muscle. If you're past 40 and you're still eating like you're 18 you will not lose much body fat. You have to be cognizant of what you are eating and how much you are eating at anyone time. No processed foods. Cut back on all sugar. Keep sodium at a minimal. Drink lots of filtered mineral water in addition to just filtered water. Water is the secret. If you drink a lot of water already good. Filtered water alone doesn't help. In fact it causes more issues. Due to the filtered water cleansing your body of your bodies important minerals. A nice equal or balanced diet including both Keto and Paleo seems to have the highest success rate.

A couple articles that explain why resistance training [weight lifting] is more beneficial than cardio while less strenuous on your joints/bones. A great cardio is to Swim!
https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/ca ... s#section2

https://www.menshealth.com/fitness/g195 ... an-cardio/
“I pride myself in creating discomfort for myself and others,” Tomlin said, “I’m fundamentally against comfort.” [3-24-2024]

Pabst

Post by Pabst » Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:15 pm

France and Japan are (by far) outliers in terms of Cardiovascular disease, so that's really a poor point of comparison.

The US actually ranks below countries like Germany and Greece in terms of heart disease deaths, and isn't even close to eastern-European levels

Diet is only one factor in this discussion. Rates of exercise, smoking, drinking, genetics, etc all play a factor, and each factor is different depending on the individual.

If you want to lose weight/fat, then lay off the junk food and become more active. That's honestly the only thing guaranteed to work.

COR-TEN

Post by COR-TEN » Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:49 pm

That's not surprising. The diet of eastern europe consists mostly of fatty meats and lots of alcohol. Draw a line from slovenia to the netherlands and the diet is very different. And then of course there's the fact that density and population is very different than the US.

R_S

Post by R_S » Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:55 pm

Still Lit wrote:Following up:

1. There are no fat people in Grenoble.
2. Everyone is disturbingly good looking.
3. The creme brûlée is not disgustingly sweet like it is in the US.
4. Unbelievably, loads of French still smoke, which is border line submental.
5. I thanked every French person I could for his /her hatred of the British on the Fourth of July. And every single one loved me for it.
6. Hiking in the French Alps is one of the most joyful things I have ever done.

Currently en route back to Paris on a bullet train which, IMO, is 10x more pleasant than taking a plane. Then again, France is only the size of Texas.

Lit out.

Europe is a smokers paradise. For sure. They still love it over there.

Havoc

Post by Havoc » Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:23 pm

Great thread.

Health is paramount, gentlemen. Take care of what you've got.

If I ever had to choose between weight lifting and cardio (jogging for me before I was forced to stop) I always would have chosen weight lifting. I'm a different person when I'm lifting weights.

I was forced out of jogging due to neck disc issues (neck discs can't take the pounding). When my neck "lost it" and I was forced to seek help, a chiro (who I believe was excellent) told me my jogging days were over. Of course, I went right back to trying to jog again like normal a few times, and the pain was so bad I didn't want to jog anymore.

I'm so glad I can still lift weights.
Throw. The. Football. On. First. Down.

Locked Previous topicNext topic