NHL Playoffs A.P(after Pens) Discussion

This is where old posts that do not fit into any of the new forum categories are dumped.
fractalsteel

NHL Playoffs A.P(after Pens) Discussion

Post by fractalsteel » Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:22 am

If this violation of board rules is egregious(enough) feel free to move it mods. Pittsburgh sports is dry now with the draft over and the early season surprising Pirates heading in the wrong direction.

And look now, the Canes took the first two on the i
island even though the Islanders got that great goaltending still. Carolina is only two games away from the conference finals.
I'm not counting out the Islanders but that long delay had to hurt the chemistry. That is why I hate sweeps-they open you up to sloppy play early in a series.

Suwanee88

Post by Suwanee88 » Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:40 am

fractalsteel wrote:If this violation of board rules is egregious(enough) feel free to move it mods. Pittsburgh sports is dry now with the draft over and the early season surprising Pirates heading in the wrong direction.

And look now, the Canes took the first two on the i
island even though the Islanders got that great goaltending still. Carolina is only two games away from the conference finals.
I'm not counting out the Islanders but that long delay had to hurt the chemistry. That is why I hate sweeps-they open you up to sloppy play early in a series.

I agree - that sweep and rest screwed them up a bit

swissvale72

Post by swissvale72 » Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:51 pm

Glad to see Bruins lose in double OT on Saturday.

Even though Torts was a Penguins hater, at least pre-Sully, always enjoyed his pressers, particularly his back and forth with the New York Post....writer's name escapes me...Brooks?

Donnie Brasco

Post by Donnie Brasco » Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:28 pm

swissvale72 wrote:Glad to see Bruins lose in double OT on Saturday.

Even though Torts was a Penguins hater, at least pre-Sully, always enjoyed his pressers, particularly his back and forth with the New York Post....writer's name escapes me...Brooks?

Larry brooks

JackLambert58

Post by JackLambert58 » Thu May 02, 2019 1:49 am

Isles lose again to the 'Canes. On the brink of being swept. What's that say for the Pens?
"Jack Lambert is mean and relentless wherever he goes, on and off the field! I do remember many times he would chase me in practice, but no way would I let him catch me" - Franco Harris

Legacy User

Post by Legacy User » Thu May 02, 2019 11:49 am

imagine; the 2 wild cards move into eastern finals; :lol: and also possible in west! crazy.
perhaps this finally enough to get nhl to change their stupid playoff format.

Donnie Brasco

Post by Donnie Brasco » Thu May 02, 2019 12:19 pm

JackLambert58 wrote:Isles lose again to the 'Canes. On the brink of being swept. What's that say for the Pens?

I think the Canes were a better matchup for the Pens than the Islanders

But the Pens were getting swept by the freakin Red Wings the way they sleptwalked through the series. It's like they all took valium before every game

fractalsteel

Post by fractalsteel » Thu May 02, 2019 1:24 pm

This just in...that Pens team that got swept, they weren't going to beat any team.
You have to want it so badly that you all go in at 100% all of the time. This Pens edition never found a way to get there. I suppose they are still living off the back to back cups.

The biggest surprise to me so far is that Bobrovsky hasn't folded.

Watching the last four teams in the East and I see hungry teams that have a sharp focus.

Orangesteel

Post by Orangesteel » Thu May 02, 2019 2:02 pm

Pens were not that good of a team. As fractal said, you have to have the “want to” in the playoffs and most of the guys on our team didn’t have that.

All I need to see if Boston get eliminated. Then I’m cool with any of the remaining teams winning.

Look out for Dallas. A Dallas vs. CBJ final would be weird as hell but cool by me.
“Thoughts are a waste of time for me.” - Michael Pettaway Tomlin

Legacy User

Post by Legacy User » Thu May 02, 2019 10:49 pm

Orangesteel wrote:Pens were not that good of a team. As fractal said, you have to have the “want to” in the playoffs and most of the guys on our team didn’t have that.

All I need to see if Boston get eliminated. Then I’m cool with any of the remaining teams winning.

Look out for Dallas. A Dallas vs. CBJ final would be weird as hell but cool by me.

yes; or Columbus vs blues! crazy. and blues were worst team in nhl for the first months of season;

fractalsteel

Post by fractalsteel » Thu May 02, 2019 11:30 pm

I was raised as a Bruins fan but for reasons I really can't explain I'm rooting for Columbus this year. Normally I hate those fuckers.
I hope an Eastern team wins it all but I'm going with Dallas.

fractalsteel

Post by fractalsteel » Fri May 03, 2019 1:28 am

Wow, game four and the first period was intense, the second one..insane.
I'm loving this series(Boston-Columbus).

Donnie Brasco

Post by Donnie Brasco » Fri May 03, 2019 12:03 pm

From DK

In a column earlier this week, I described the Penguins as being deeply affected by some ‘richly unprofessional conduct‘ by Phil Kessel. That’s as far as I took it, because that’s 100 percent confirmed by multiple sources within the organization. Some readers in comments sought specifics. Those are always harder to present because they involve an additional layer of confirmation, as opposed to something as simple as the team being disappointed by the player. What I’m comfortable sharing at this level of confirmation is this: Kessel’s well-known passion for poker/gambling affected his focus and preparation, in the eyes of the team, including into the Stanley Cup playoffs. Also, his open insubordination toward Mike Sullivan and the assistant coaches, as well as repeated vocal berating of the team’s staff — media relations people, equipment managers and others — has more than worn thin with all concerned. I’ve witnessed the latter with my own eyes — as have several others — most recently in the PPG Paints Arena locker room minutes after the Game 4 loss. When the team was winning, it was mostly shrugged off with Phil-being-Phil jokes. Not anymore. — Dejan Kovacevic

Louis Lipps Service

Post by Louis Lipps Service » Fri May 03, 2019 12:29 pm

Donnie Brasco wrote:From DK

In a column earlier this week, I described the Penguins as being deeply affected by some ‘richly unprofessional conduct‘ by Phil Kessel. That’s as far as I took it, because that’s 100 percent confirmed by multiple sources within the organization. Some readers in comments sought specifics. Those are always harder to present because they involve an additional layer of confirmation, as opposed to something as simple as the team being disappointed by the player. What I’m comfortable sharing at this level of confirmation is this: Kessel’s well-known passion for poker/gambling affected his focus and preparation, in the eyes of the team, including into the Stanley Cup playoffs. Also, his open insubordination toward Mike Sullivan and the assistant coaches, as well as repeated vocal berating of the team’s staff — media relations people, equipment managers and others — has more than worn thin with all concerned. I’ve witnessed the latter with my own eyes — as have several others — most recently in the PPG Paints Arena locker room minutes after the Game 4 loss. When the team was winning, it was mostly shrugged off with Phil-being-Phil jokes. Not anymore. — Dejan Kovacevic

And suddenly, the Penguins have become the Steelers.

fractalsteel

Post by fractalsteel » Fri May 03, 2019 12:50 pm

Now that this is coming to light the trade value diminishes. Where have I seen this before?

Orangesteel

Post by Orangesteel » Fri May 03, 2019 5:42 pm

Weird. Didn’t think that of Phil at all. Oh well. He helped us get 2 cups. Send him on his way. We need young and hungry. Not fat and happy.

Donnie Brasco

Post by Donnie Brasco » Fri May 03, 2019 6:52 pm

fractalsteel wrote:

Now that this is coming to light the trade value diminishes. Where have I seen this before?

It's so weird how every single malcontent they had to ship out had a gambling problem.

It's also weird how they can't ship anyone out without having to smear them first.

Obviously

Post by Obviously » Sat May 04, 2019 2:23 am

And here I thought only this kind of thing happens in the Steelers locker room.

Kessel is a POS. Get what you can for him and move on.
#NoMoTomlin
#BecauseTomlin
#FireTomlin
#Obviously

swissvale72

Post by swissvale72 » Sat May 04, 2019 2:11 pm

Obviously wrote:And here I thought only this kind of thing happens in the Steelers locker room.

Yeah....POS who played a biiiiiig role in helping Penguins win two Cups, damn near being awarded the Conn Smythe in 2016.

fractalsteel

Post by fractalsteel » Sat May 04, 2019 3:42 pm

swissvale72 wrote:
Obviously wrote:And here I thought only this kind of thing happens in the Steelers locker room.

Yeah....POS who played a biiiiiig role in helping Penguins win two Cups, damn near being awarded the Conn Smythe in 2016.

Like Max Talbot, I'll always be thankful for their massive contributions towards winning championships.

Getting rid of Kessel presents several problems. First, what compensation do you expect? It has been rumored the Pens have tried to shop him but the return wasn't enough.
Second, who replaces his 25-30 goals and 70-80 points yearly?
Third, getting rid of him gets rid of one of the fastest players on the team. We already have hurt ourselves in that department with Sheary and Hagelin being traded.
Lastly, Kessel is so important to the PP. He is the best player we have entering/carrying the puck into the OZ on the PP.

Donnie Brasco

Post by Donnie Brasco » Mon May 06, 2019 12:37 am

Kesselhas a limited no trade clause. That diminishes his value considerably

fractalsteel

Post by fractalsteel » Mon May 06, 2019 12:40 am

Caught my first-full game of the St Louis/Dallas series. Of course, two former Birdies had to figure in the winning goal.

Frigging Blues had the worst record in the league on January 3rd. Now they are one game away from the conference finals.

Speaking of the playoffs-every day away from it, I'm hoping the core of the Birdies realize what there is still left to do.

fractalsteel

Post by fractalsteel » Tue May 07, 2019 12:59 am

Alright, it is the playoffs, so you can go head-hunting like McAvoy did tonight. The gutless refs call a minor penalty when a game misconduct was warranted.
Such bullshit and it shows how refs can change a series(ask Vegas) in one game.

Same old bullshit.

Legacy User

Post by Legacy User » Tue May 07, 2019 12:17 pm

fractalsteel wrote:Alright, it is the playoffs, so you can go head-hunting like McAvoy did tonight. The gutless refs call a minor penalty when a game misconduct was warranted.
Such bullshit and it shows how refs can change a series(ask Vegas) in one game.

Same old bullshit.

yes; looked like burfect hit on Antonio brown in playoffs; bullshit ; ejection shoulda happened and a major;
. pissed bruins still in tourney!

JackLambert58

Post by JackLambert58 » Tue May 07, 2019 2:51 pm

The Cup is currently the Bruins' to lose. I don't see Carolina or any of the Western teams beating them. I guess we'll see, but Tuukka looks stout in net and the B's goal scorers are just heating up.
"Jack Lambert is mean and relentless wherever he goes, on and off the field! I do remember many times he would chase me in practice, but no way would I let him catch me" - Franco Harris

Pabst

Post by Pabst » Tue May 07, 2019 3:57 pm

Well, let's see what happens....
NHL Player Safety
‏Verified account @NHLPlayerSafety

Boston’s Charlie McAvoy will have a hearing today for an Illegal Check to the Head on Columbus’ Josh Anderson.

Orangesteel

Post by Orangesteel » Tue May 07, 2019 5:00 pm

Have Toronto take a 30 second look at potential game misconduct calls. If that was in place, the Pavelski Error doesn’t happen and the refs don’t botch the missed call last night. I’ve seen offside challenges take 5 minutes. The first Columbus goal during Saturday’s game in Boston took about 5 minutes to get right.

They can take a minute or so to look at a hit like last night or that absurd one they called in San Jose.

fractalsteel

Post by fractalsteel » Tue May 07, 2019 5:32 pm

JackLambert58 wrote:The Cup is currently the Bruins' to lose. I don't see Carolina or any of the Western teams beating them. I guess we'll see, but Tuukka looks stout in net and the B's goal scorers are just heating up.

Right now with Rask playing the way he is they should be the favorites. I think Columbus played scared too much in the last series. I'm hoping that the Canes speed can give them the edge especially if the refs don't allow the Bruins to clog up the neutral zone.

I have a sneaky feeling that the winner of tonight's game 7 wins the cup. Basing that off my gut.

Orangesteel wrote:Have Toronto take a 30 second look at potential game misconduct calls. If that was in place, the Pavelski Error doesn’t happen and the refs don’t botch the missed call last night. I’ve seen offside challenges take 5 minutes. The first Columbus goal during Saturday’s game in Boston took about 5 minutes to get right.

They can take a minute or so to look at a hit like last night or that absurd one they called in San Jose.

Yup, if Pavelski didn't bleed(not from the shot but blood is drama in the NHL) it wasn't a 5 minute. I thought the proper call was a double minor.
Last night, that was a major for sure especially when the league has gone to great lengths saying they want the headshots taken out of the league.
Here we go again, the refs making a difference in a series.

swissvale72

Post by swissvale72 » Wed May 08, 2019 1:49 am

Blues outshoot Stars 18-1 in 2nd period...no goals.

Legacy User

Post by Legacy User » Wed May 08, 2019 3:05 am

swissvale72 wrote:Blues outshoot Stars 18-1 in 2nd period...no goals.

blues are dominating; that's why I predict a fluky win by Dallas in this overtime. be fine as I hate st Louis in everything.

Locked Previous topicNext topic