First image of black hole event horizon...holy shit...

This is where old posts that do not fit into any of the new forum categories are dumped.
Legacy User

First image of black hole event horizon...holy shit...

Post by Legacy User » Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:18 pm

So amazing!

franco>madden

Post by franco>madden » Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:14 pm

Was thinking about re-watching my blu-ray of Interstellar last week. Gotta do it now!

Thanks for posting.

fractalsteel

Post by fractalsteel » Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:23 pm

franco>madden wrote:Was thinking about re-watching my blu-ray of Interstellar last week. Gotta do it now!

Thanks for posting.

FM, have you read Kip Thorne's 'The Science of Interstellar'? Great read and he explains the science behind the movie so well.

Great movie even though it is long. Damon's character Dr. Mann, what a motherfucker that guy was. Hoping they make a sequel.

Lit, is that picture from a black hole at the center of the Milky Way Galaxy?

Donnie Brasco

Post by Donnie Brasco » Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:27 pm

Actually saw them in concert last week! :lol:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xsp3_a-PMTw[/youtube]

Legacy User

Post by Legacy User » Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:44 pm

fractalsteel wrote:
franco>madden wrote:Was thinking about re-watching my blu-ray of Interstellar last week. Gotta do it now!

Thanks for posting.

FM, have you read Kip Thorne's 'The Science of Interstellar'? Great read and he explains the science behind the movie so well.

Great movie even though it is long. Damon's character Dr. Mann, what a motherfucker that guy was. Hoping they make a sequel.

Messier 87, a galaxy in the Virgo constellation.

Never saw Interstellar despite being a Christopher Nolan fan.

COR-TEN

Post by COR-TEN » Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:36 pm

Here I thought it was a pic of your anus after lighting flatulence with a match.

I always imagined you to be that guy. . .

Just kidding. :mrgreen:
Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter how good you are, the pigeon is going to shit on the board and strut around like it won anyway.

fractalsteel

Post by fractalsteel » Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:54 pm

Still Lit wrote:
fractalsteel wrote:

Thanks for posting.

Messier 87, a galaxy in the Virgo constellation.

Never saw Interstellar despite being a Christopher Nolan fan.

Imagine when they get the James Webb Space Telescope up and running-the pictures we are going to see.

stillthere

Post by stillthere » Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:52 pm

Still Lit wrote:
fractalsteel wrote:Never saw Interstellar despite being a Christopher Nolan fan.

Brush up on your physics before watching it they spew out some really technical babble in the movie.

Legacy User

Post by Legacy User » Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:13 pm

stillthere wrote:
Still Lit wrote:
fractalsteel wrote:Never saw Interstellar despite being a Christopher Nolan fan.

Brush up on your physics before watching it they spew out some really technical babble in the movie.

Does Aristotelian physics count? :mrgreen:

Legacy User

Post by Legacy User » Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:50 pm

the black hole itself is still technically invisible since light can't escape it

and i don't need a photo anyway since there is no other explanation for why galaxies don't fall apart...

Legacy User

Post by Legacy User » Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:39 pm

Dan Smith--BYU wrote:the black hole itself is still technically invisible since light can't escape it

and i don't need a photo anyway since there is no other explanation for why galaxies don't fall apart...

1. First image of black hole event horizon...holy shit..

2. I confess that as a dumb animal, I am still impressed by sensibles in addition to what the equations suggest must be the case.

Kodiak

Post by Kodiak » Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:39 am

Thing is, I totally understand that black holes are so dense that nothing escapes their gravity....

What I can't comprehend is the "matter tail" that is basically a garbage disposal ejecting all the bits out the other end. Intuitively I understand every action has an equal and opposite reaction. Nothing can escape it's gravity.....EXCEPT all this shit being ejected out the back-end.....
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Ben comes back, Tomlin doesn't = CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

fractalsteel

Post by fractalsteel » Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:18 pm

Dan Smith--BYU wrote:the black hole itself is still technically invisible since light can't escape it

And in this corner...dark energy! Working to counter gravity. Isn't the universe a hoot?
Wouldn't it be something to witness an accretion disk like the one from 'Interstellar'?

Legacy User

Post by Legacy User » Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:19 pm

fractalsteel wrote:

And in this corner...dark energy! Working to counter gravity. Isn't the universe a hoot?
Wouldn't it be something to witness an accretion disk like the one from 'Interstellar'?

Aren't "gravitons" the new unicorn?

fractalsteel

Post by fractalsteel » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:09 pm

Still Lit wrote:
fractalsteel wrote:

Aren't "gravitons" the new unicorn?

Something new to delve into. Weren't gravitons theorized back in the 1930's? Old science holds on.

COR-TEN

Post by COR-TEN » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:12 pm

What? No commentary about the sexism surrounding this image?

And here I thought this forum was conservative majority.
Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter how good you are, the pigeon is going to shit on the board and strut around like it won anyway.

Kodiak

Post by Kodiak » Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:35 am

Kodiak wrote:Thing is, I totally understand that black holes are so dense that nothing escapes their gravity....

What I can't comprehend is the "matter tail" that is basically a garbage disposal ejecting all the bits out the other end. Intuitively I understand every action has an equal and opposite reaction. Nothing can escape it's gravity.....EXCEPT all this shit being ejected out the back-end.....

I'm absolutely shocked [sarcasm] that a non-partisan question is simply ignored by the usual, so-called "enlightened" suspects.

Although I've come to expect when you boil it down to cold logic, that leftist brains get broken.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Ben comes back, Tomlin doesn't = CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

Legacy User

Post by Legacy User » Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:42 pm

If the black hole had one of those spritzy Japanese toilets, would the images be clearer?

Steelafan77

Post by Steelafan77 » Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:43 pm

There are a couple TV series that I like to watch on Science Channel. How the Universe Works and Space's Deepest Secrets are my favorites.

This 2017 Nova production on Black Holes is one of the most enlightening one's I've seen. You can find the documentary on Netflix for streaming.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7ZN_FxKnSc[/youtube]
“I pride myself in creating discomfort for myself and others,” Tomlin said, “I’m fundamentally against comfort.” [3-24-2024]

Locked Previous topicNext topic