SteelerFury News

This is where old posts that do not fit into any of the new forum categories are dumped.
bradshaw2ben
Site Admin

SteelerFury News

Post by bradshaw2ben » Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:24 pm

Some housekeeping:

1. Finally got a hold of Fury and it appears everything is fine with him... I know some of us had concerns because of his absence. He basically said he's been busy but still trying to keep SF going.
2. Fury has given me his blessing to try and get the board back to the level of content, user experience, and quality we all want to have, and I am into making that happen.
3. Hardnosed may not be around here much, if at all, but we all owe him a huge debt of gratitude, because he basically donated the very expensive cost of the hosting for this esteemed website for a very long time. He's also working behind the scenes with me to keep things upright and start the process of updating to more modern website tools and features, while migrating the server.
4. I'm not only interested in rectifying all of the above––I will definitely make some changes to make the website at least generate enough revenue to cover the costs of the website and podcast. I hope to make that fun and not obtrusive, so that the site doesn't get bogged down by popups and annoying crap like certain other website we have seen who shall remain nameless
5. Because we haven't had active moderation and approvals for new registrants, there's an unacceptable level of trolling and bad behavior, paired with no new participants. The combination of those two things is certain, slow, painful death for any group. As re: trolls and behavior moderation, here are some common sense rules that are going to be strictly enforced going forward:
A. any overt racist or political rants or spam are going to be deleted and the user will be subject to immediate banning.
B. unintentionally or borderline racist, personal attacks, or similarly offensive posts are going to get a warning and subject the poster to banning for future offenses
C. personal attacks and kneecapping of the site's content creators will get you banned. Critique, disagreement, emotional reactions... these are all legit topics for posts but be kind to those who are working for free to provide you content and a place to hang out

Basically, it's pretty simple: Let's all of us protect the shield. For this place to work, it needs content and new people to join in the discussion. If we make it inhospitable to those two things, then this place will die and we all lose.

I personally love all the crazy characters here and view it as a great bar to hang out in and talk sports. What I don't love is people being disingenuous to pick a fight and people attacker the poster and not the post. This is not stillers.com (no offense to stillers.com).

The people who frequent this place are 99.9% your allies: people who like being here and who live and die Steelers football. Treat them well and this place will survive and thrive. Be mean-spirited and ugly and this place won't make it to next year. Be kind to each other--kinder than we all usually are on social media. Buy the guy you disagree with a beer and move on. Everybody starts now with a clean slate. Let's fight nice and above the belt.

On behalf of Fury, Hardnosed, FC, SP, fractalsteel, stosh-67, and everyone who makes it happen here: I say thanks for helping make this place as great as it can be.

1 20 Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia
2 51 TRADE: Brandon Aiyuk, WR
3 84 Hunter Nourzad, C, Penn State
3× 98 Jarvis Brownlee, Jr., CB, Florida State
4 128 Qwan'tez Stiggers, DB, Toronto Argonauts

chippedhamsandwich

Post by chippedhamsandwich » Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:29 pm

Love it B2B, seriously thank you and to Fury, Hardnosed, Perch, Stosh, Scunge, FC, KC, and even Swissvale for making this a great board.

Really look forward to having great discussions on here and also listening to the Podcast.

PLEASE put a donate link up, I would love to contribute and make your job all about content and less about trying to break even.

Go Steelers!!

bradshaw2ben
Site Admin

Post by bradshaw2ben » Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:32 pm

ChippedHamSandwich wrote:Love it B2B, seriously thank you and to Fury, Hardnosed, Perch, Stosh, Scunge, FC, KC, and even Swissvale for making this a great board.

Really look forward to having great discussions on here and also listening to the Podcast.

PLEASE put a donate link up, I would love to contribute and make your job all about content and less about trying to break even.

Go Steelers!!

Thanks, Chip

Immediate priority is to migrate the server without downtime, but beyond that, looking to add a donate button, some SF merch, a like/thumbs down option for posts, and a new front page/podcast page. Hopefully Swiss can keep himself from getting banned long enough to contribute content to the front page!

chippedhamsandwich

Post by chippedhamsandwich » Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:35 pm

Sweet all that sounds awesome and I will definitely buy a Steeler Fury t-shirt!

Legacy User

Post by Legacy User » Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:36 pm

Can't wait for the political bullshit to disappear from here. Thank you!!

Legacy User

Post by Legacy User » Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:42 pm

Thanks for righting the ship B2B.

Stosh-67

Post by Stosh-67 » Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:47 pm

Thanks B.
Have not seen a donate drive in awhile.
A donate button would be nice...
Even if us users throw in $5 here and there. It will add up.

Stillerz Bar

Post by Stillerz Bar » Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:12 pm

A hUGE thanks to all of you he make this site happen.

Like me I'm guessing many of the users felt hamstrung last weekend when we didn't have this site at cut down time. This is definitely my go to place for both Steelers info and Steelers insight. We may not all agree on the "how" but I love seeing everyone's analysis and thoughts on how to improve.

Be sure to point out when the donate button appears as many people look straight at the content and might miss it (maybe that's just me :) )

Muchas Gracias - on to the games the count!!

Baltostiller

Post by Baltostiller » Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:17 pm

Stillerz Bar wrote:A hUGE thanks to all of you he make this site happen.

Like me I'm guessing many of the users felt hamstrung last weekend when we didn't have this site at cut down time. This is definitely my go to place for both Steelers info and Steelers insight. We may not all agree on the "how" but I love seeing everyone's analysis and thoughts on how to improve.

Be sure to point out when the donate button appears as many people look straight at the content and might miss it (maybe that's just me :) )

I second this. I was losing my shit on cutdown day because I couldn't get on this site. Thanks to all who make this site happen.

COR-TEN

Post by COR-TEN » Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:18 pm

Thanks B2B. Sounds good; and I'll donate.

It was mentioned in the now deleted thread that the blackout was a result of hacking. Why did SF go dark?
Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter how good you are, the pigeon is going to shit on the board and strut around like it won anyway.

Thrillsseeker

Post by Thrillsseeker » Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:56 pm

This is fucking music to my ears.

Thank you to all of you for this place.

Love the talk about updating the board with like buttons etc. Merch would be icing on the cake. I love it! Maybe even Father George links or merchandise or whatever.

If at all possible while updating: the ability to reply with pictures and memes easier than current set up would put it over the top for me and i would be ecstatic. I just mentioned recently how i would never donate to this board again. Well, my dad always said, “ never say never!”

I’ll gladly donate again if the board moves in the direction you laid out in the OP.

Hell, I’d gladly buy you all beers for running this site and giving me my one stop shopping for Steeler related material.

Again, thank you sir. I appreciate you and all who play a role behind the scenes.
Last edited by Steel Ubaldo on Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jeemie

Post by jeemie » Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:31 pm

Thanks man- happy to donate if the info on how to do that is still around someplace.

We'll go easy on your Tomlin love now! :lol:
“Yeah we suck, be there is a chance we could suck slightly more if we try to correct the problem.” - Art Deuce (summarized by SteelPerch)

bradshaw2ben
Site Admin

Post by bradshaw2ben » Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:37 pm

I'll get a donate button going ASAP, but in the meantime you can use the one near the upper left corner of this page:

http://steelerfurypodcast.com/

Appreciate it, peeps.

Rod & Wire Mill

Post by Rod & Wire Mill » Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:41 pm

I’ve been thinking that the state of the site mirrors that of the team. Hopefully both ships have been righted, and off to a great voyage this year.

beerbrother

Post by beerbrother » Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:09 pm

Hadn't seen Hardnose post in so long wasn't sure he was still hosting the server. Glad Fury is OK.

Definitely appreciate having this place (the bar analogy fits great) to hang out and talk sports or pretty much anything else.

From Stillers to Steelerfury it seems as though I've known a number of members for decades. Is that really possible?

B2B you've been an amazing contributor to the site, thanks for your efforts keeping it going and giving a place for SteelerFury Refugees while the site was down.

Big thanks to all those running this place as well as the members who make it what it is.

Also want to thank FC for so many years of the Gospel, reading it made me sound considerably more football knowledgeable than I really am.
"Luck is when Preparation meets Opportunity"

chippedhamsandwich

Post by chippedhamsandwich » Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:12 pm

beerbrother wrote: Also want to thank FC for so many years of the Gospel, reading it made me sound considerably more football knowledgeable than I really am.

Miss the Gospel, just a great read late in the week to get ready for the game......

Bring it back!!!

oldsteelerfan

Post by oldsteelerfan » Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:29 pm

Baltostiller wrote:
Stillerz Bar wrote:A hUGE thanks to all of you he make this site happen.

I second this. I was losing my shit on cutdown day because I couldn't get on this site. Thanks to all who make this site happen.

Me too.

Ice

Post by Ice » Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:38 pm

bradshaw2ben wrote:
ChippedHamSandwich wrote:Love it B2B, seriously thank you and to Fury, Hardnosed, Perch, Stosh, Scunge, FC, KC, and even Swissvale for making this a great board.

Go Steelers!!

Thanks, Chip

Immediate priority is to migrate the server without downtime, but beyond that, looking to add a donate button, some SF merch, a like/thumbs down option for posts, and a new front page/podcast page. Hopefully Swiss can keep himself from getting banned long enough to contribute content to the front page!

That's awesome, B2B! Thanks again for all you do, to all you guys, and thanks for keeping they pay side of the site up and running through the shutdown :lol:
Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile...

steelmann58

Post by steelmann58 » Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:41 pm

great news
we are Steelers FANS here and all have different views about our team and glad there a place to express them here.

tbsteel

Post by tbsteel » Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:34 pm

Rod & Wire Mill wrote:I’ve been thinking that the state of the site mirrors that of the team. Hopefully both ships have been righted, and off to a great voyage this year.

Damn, good post. Awesome point.

B2B is the man. Thanks for all that you do.
Tiny hands, smaller heart.

StillerDownSouth

Post by StillerDownSouth » Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:01 am

PittWest wrote:Can't wait for the political bullshit to disappear from here. Thank you!!

Couldn't agree more, this site has always been at its best when debating football, that is why the majority of us come here. Thanks for all your hard work mods.

tunch

Post by tunch » Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:17 am

You'll get my Brave browser tithe as soon as this site signs up for Brave payments.

Thank you for the hard work.

sinceiwas4

Post by sinceiwas4 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:52 am

Thank You! to everyone that puts so much effort into keeping this place alive and well. i was searching for a replacement when it was down and boy o boy nowhere else is half as good. Thanks again, Go Steelers!

Flanker

Post by Flanker » Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:59 am

Thanks B2B and I will donate as long as it isn't PayPal.

I actually enjoy the drama/trolling/personal attacks but I'm probably in the minority. That is a part of our long history on multiple sites and made for some great entertainment as far as message boards go. :(

Louis Lipps Service

Post by Louis Lipps Service » Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:17 am

I’ll donate this weekend as well.

And if you need any technical help, let me know.

13 years of software engineering (all web development), so I can contribute a thing or two, if needed.

Steelafan77

Post by Steelafan77 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:26 am

Glad to hear of all the upgrades/updates. Sounds awesome. Thank you seems so minimal but for now until there's a donate feature. Thank You to all that make this site happen. Thank you to all those that subscribe and make this site the best on the net.

Just for context. I was able to finally quit smoking over 2 years ago. One of the more challenging processes I've had to deal with. Cold turkey was the only tool in the box at the time. That and a pack of cigarettes costing $9 a pack....

Then more recently, I quit sugar. Not natural sugar like from fruits, veggies and other natural sugars [honey]. Refined sugar. Now that was some seriously difficult shit to quit. I hadn't realized just how addicted I was to refined sugar. Coffee and sugar was my addiction. IMHO, sugar was much more challenging than quitting smoking. Dealing with both was like a boot to the sack.

Last weekend I must have checked in to see if the site was back up and functioning 50 bizillion times. Man, I became anxious and finally started the DT process. My wife even asked me what was wrong. That there was something different about me. I told her the site was down and I didn't know if it would be back up. She had an expression of alarm and said, don't worry sweety they'll get it going again. I told her I am counting on it.

So, I quit smoking. I quit sugar. I don't know that I can quit Fury. That was the worst I've felt not having our discussion forum. Lost..., even a little disoriented is the best adjective I can use to describe it. Long Live Steelerfury!

Go Steelers!
“I pride myself in creating discomfort for myself and others,” Tomlin said, “I’m fundamentally against comfort.” [3-24-2024]

stillcajun

Post by stillcajun » Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:27 am

Thanks B2B.

bradshaw2ben
Site Admin

Post by bradshaw2ben » Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:59 am

tunch wrote:You'll get my Brave browser tithe as soon as this site signs up for Brave payments.

Thank you for the hard work.

I'm trying to sign up for it but don't know if I can. We shall see.

bradshaw2ben
Site Admin

Post by bradshaw2ben » Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:00 am

Flanker wrote:Thanks B2B and I will donate as long as it isn't PayPal.

I actually enjoy the drama/trolling/personal attacks but I'm probably in the minority. That is a part of our long history on multiple sites and made for some great entertainment as far as message boards go. :(

Is there a problem with PayPal? What's your preference? You can venmo or chasepay. You can probably apple pay but I'd have to see how to set it up.

Scunge

Post by Scunge » Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:15 am

I felt so at odds and cranky not being able to come to SteelerFury and get my fix.

B2B, I will happily donate to the cause, and will try and make it a yearly thing. In terms of PayPal I might know a little something about why Flanker prefers not to deal with them. For me it was two-fold, how they treated me and how they treated others. PayPal has unfortunately joined, for lack of a better term, the Culture War, they are actually going after some people who do not line up with certain political beliefs, or idealogical, and terminating their service. There were a number of creators that used Patreon and had their followers use PayPal to make donations to them. Then Patreon got political, started to ban certain creators they deemed unworthy, so these creators moved on to SubscribeStar and their followers thought they could use PayPal to donate to them, but PayPal then decided to not allow people to use their service with SubscribeStar. There was outrage and even some people looking to file some sort of suit, it is getting ugly. I can sadly see a time where parallel systems of banks, payment systems are set up for people on the left and people on the right, those for democrats and those for republicans, those for liberals and those for conservatives.

On a personal level, I still use PayPal reluctantly, but the experiences I have had with them in the past year has been really troubling and I try and limit my use of them.

Locked Previous topicNext topic