NFL out for more money...from Super Bowl halftime performers

This is where old posts that do not fit into any of the new forum categories are dumped.
jeemie

NFL out for more money...from Super Bowl halftime performers

Post by jeemie » Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:20 pm

http://www.tvweek.com/tvbizwire/2014/08 ... uper-bowl/

Want performers to agree to cough up a portion of their post-Super Bowl tour income for the privilege to perform at the halftime show.

The performers are NOT pleased.

Maybe we are going back to the days of these types of halftime shows...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4mTTigqTSA[/youtube]

“Yeah we suck, be there is a chance we could suck slightly more if we try to correct the problem.” - Art Deuce (summarized by SteelPerch)

Kodiak

Post by Kodiak » Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:26 pm

Sure seems like an overreach. But it is a pretty big promo for them, so we'll see. Plus, I'd expect this mostly comes from the label, and out of its promotional budget for the artist/album.

The plus side is it might mean the end of classic acts that are painful to watch well past their prime.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Ben comes back, Tomlin doesn't = CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

Ice

Post by Ice » Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:30 pm

Somebody is going to cough up the cash, and it isn't like the Super Bowl halftime show doesn't have pretty much a captive audience.
Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile...

Legacy User

Post by Legacy User » Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:32 pm

Insert pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered

Ice

Post by Ice » Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:34 pm

Yeah, it's certainly a pattern, but I could really give less of a shit about the Super Bowl halftime show.
Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile...

SteelerZen

Post by SteelerZen » Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:06 am

Coldplay won't pay. It's not them. I don't see Rhianna paying either. Katy Perry, maybe, but I doubt it. The only people you're getting to pay are older acts that need the boost by playing the halftime show. Those three don't so much need that.

Legacy User

Post by Legacy User » Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:15 am

SteelerZen wrote:Coldplay won't pay. It's not them. I don't see Rhianna paying either. Katy Perry, maybe, but I doubt it. The only people you're getting to pay are older acts that need the boost by playing the halftime show. Those three don't so much need that.

If anybody pays it will be young up and coming acts who most of us won't know until they perform.

I've checked out of the halftime show myself since superbowl 40 when the NFL passed up the opportunity to let motown artists perform in Detroit.

Legacy User

Post by Legacy User » Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:20 am

It's good bidness. Consider the viewer they are looking for at half time-

Thompson, who calls Super Bowl Sunday the most successful national holiday “since Lincoln gave us Thanksgiving,” regards the big broadcast as “three parallel programs.” The first is the game. The second is the “film festival put together by the advertising industry.” Which leaves the neck. While the Super Bowl halftime may be the most-watched musical performance in the world most years, Thompson says, “it is certainly not the most beloved.”

David Hill, the longtime CEO of Fox Sports, describes the halftime show as “America’s multigenerational entertainment for the year.” Precisely. For the NFL, the conundrum of annually choosing the performer is similar to a family—grandparents, parents, kids—trying to agree on one Las Vegas act to see. Don Rickles? Blue Man Group? The Mac King Comedy Magic Show?

The calculus changed radically in 1992, after ice skaters Brian Boitano and Dorothy Hamill got their heads handed to them by In Living Color comedians Keenen and Damon Wayans. CBS’s Nielsen rating dipped from a 42.1 to a 32.8 during that halftime, and the NFL suits had seen enough. Overnight it was decided: The days of jayvee, dinner theater–caliber entertainment were over. The league sent everyone deep. They decided to go after Michael Jackson.

For a month they got nowhere. Steeg sat down with the King of Pop’s manager, Sandy Gallin, 11 months before Super Bowl XXVII. “I remember pitching them,” he says, “and them not really having a clue what we were talking about.” At a subsequent meeting, producer Don Mischer pointed out that the Super Bowl would be broadcast in more than 120 countries. Now he had Jackson’s full attention.

Steeg recalls Jackson saying, “So you’re telling me that this show is going live to all those places where I’ll never do a concert?” A pause. “I’m in.”

The NFL has since ventured outside the category of Old Fogies Rock—and been rewarded for it. The Madonna halftime show two years ago stands as the most-watched ever (112.5 million viewers). Beyoncé came in a close second last February. On both occasions ratings edged upward as the teams broke for halftime.

Kodiak

Post by Kodiak » Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:20 am

Thiefery wrote:If anybody pays it will be young up and coming acts who most of us won't know until they perform.

Yep. And maybe throw in something, errrr, "unapproved" to generate additional buzz since it's no longer an "honor" bestowed but a paid avertisement. I can see all this backfiring badly for the NFL.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Ben comes back, Tomlin doesn't = CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

bradshaw2ben
Site Admin

Post by bradshaw2ben » Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:43 am

It's absolutely a money grab from the NFL that has no justification whatsoever. You want to collect money later, pay me less now instead. You offer less, you'll get what you pay for.

Just like the venues charging a percentage of the merch sales and charging back advertising buys at full price even though they get a discount and kickback under the table.

If anybody can afford the top end entertainment to keep it's ratings high around the world, it's the NFL.
1 20 Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia
2 51 TRADE: Brandon Aiyuk, WR
3 84 Hunter Nourzad, C, Penn State
3× 98 Jarvis Brownlee, Jr., CB, Florida State
4 128 Qwan'tez Stiggers, DB, Toronto Argonauts

stillthere

Post by stillthere » Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:12 am

go to the 80's pro bowl line up standard post game concert.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eab_beh07HU[/youtube]

....and the way the sunlight plays upon her hair......

Legacy User

Post by Legacy User » Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:23 pm

If there ain't no dough then there ain't no show /
So take your roly poly fat promoter ass /
to the Chemical Bank, and get my cash.

Q-Tip, Tribe Called Quest, "Rap Promoter"

8-)

Steelafan77

Post by Steelafan77 » Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:39 pm

Typical. In One Word, "Capitalism" at it's most (Greedy) obvious. This is a country that's all about big business and little to nothing else. Not Surprised at all.

Who stays tuned for the half time show (besides the SB attendees) anyways? I know once half time hits I hitin' the head. Then its into the kitchen refreshing my plate, my beer taking a shot (2-3) of some form of 80+ proof alcohol and by that time the usually sucky half time show is approaching its end. It's about then that I unmute the TV too.
“I pride myself in creating discomfort for myself and others,” Tomlin said, “I’m fundamentally against comfort.” [3-24-2024]

Gonzo

Post by Gonzo » Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:15 pm

it cuts both ways
is the NFL going to pay Beyoncee or Black Eyed Peas for the bad publicity they get when their haltime shows are so incredibly dreadful.
i think people watch it anymore to see what kind of train wreck may happen -- some of the halftimes have been that bad.

USS Steelerworks

Post by USS Steelerworks » Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:17 pm

Sounds to be like it is just negotiating tactics by the league being blown out of proportion by the media for another money grabbing storyline about the big bad corporate NFL. They have three artists they have identified to play, don't care which one they get and they are just trying to broker the best possible deal out of them.

I'm not exactly sure why any of the three artists would agree to such terms as Coldplay, Katy Perry and Rihanna are all multi-millionaires, globally successful and likely couldn't give a shit about the added exposure they would get from the Superbowl since they are already universally famous. About the only acts I could see agreeing to these kind of terms are older, past their prime bands who squandered all their dough and are in big need of a last payday, which none of the Stones, McCartney, Petty, Springsteen or Madonna qualify as since they are all still incredibly wealthy.

Legacy User

Post by Legacy User » Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:39 pm

It's really actually straight up pay to play...the NFL pays nothing.

I heard on the news this morning all three bands have submitted proposals.

It's all about women viewers, global markets, and the "new" business of download sales...the game had like a 112 million viewers...halftime 115 million viewers Bruno Sorryasfuck downloads went through the roof :lol: Sorry ass state of affairs for the football/rock purist...perfect time for the family to gossip about how I'm still hooked on the weed when I disappear for relief...

I actually liked a couple of Coldplay songs in a stole this shit straight from Gabriel sort of way...my brother heard it on my cars system when I pulled in a few years back...so out of no where at dinner he comes with "I think my neighbor is gay..." Like an idiot I go, "Why.. .?" He say's "I heard him listening to Coldplay...."

COR-TEN

Post by COR-TEN » Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:05 pm

This sounds completely preposterous.

The nfl wants ratings. Eyeballs. People watch because it's somebody they know and/or like. Book a no-name and less people watch. How much can they possibly make from a nobody? The nfl is an $8 billion dollar /year business that doesn't pay taxes, and is subsidized by players and local taxpayers. This is more about the nfl brand than money.

I can't see any performer agreeing to these terms. Talk about totalitarian entertainment.
Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter how good you are, the pigeon is going to shit on the board and strut around like it won anyway.

Legacy User

Post by Legacy User » Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:12 pm

It's an American Idol/Disney star world.

Art no longer exists in America...it's homogenized, cookie cutter, corporate, google searched, boy band, female buying power world in music, film, and literature the past 15 years or so...and sport is falling in line.

lifelongsteel

Post by lifelongsteel » Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:31 pm

Zivco wrote:It's an American Idol/Disney star world.

Art no longer exists in America...it's homogenized, cookie cutter, corporate, google searched, boy band, female buying power world in music, film, and literature the past 15 years or so...and sport is falling in line.

Shit, I'm agreeing with a Zivco cultural rant. Worlds colliding. Cats and dogs, etc etc you get the picture.

Legacy User

Post by Legacy User » Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:40 pm

Lifelongsteel wrote:

Shit, I'm agreeing with a Zivco cultural rant. Worlds colliding. Cats and dogs, etc etc you get the picture.

Art is alive and well in America. Go to your nearest metropolitan modern art museum or playhouse. Good music is alive and well, go to your local music head store. American Literature is certainly still alive and well. Misplaced doom and gloom. For instance, pm StillMadatSlobber. He'll be happy to tell you about how Houston has a thriving art seen and museum district an world class symphony just like most major American cities, with a substantial part of the public that supports it. Pittsburgh has a thriving art community as well. Nothing but a rant against popular culture, but popular culture has been around since mass media and high art has sustained itself just fine in the face of it. Nothing to see here.

lifelongsteel

Post by lifelongsteel » Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:09 pm

True. move away from mass market and there is plenty of good stuff.

As a football fan, I've heard enough Johnny Football, Michael Sam, Nick Saban, Peyton Manning, etc. for a lifetime. seems like 2% of the landscape gets 98% of the coverage.

Legacy User

Post by Legacy User » Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:12 pm

Still Lit wrote:
Lifelongsteel wrote:

Art is alive and well in America. Go to your nearest metropolitan modern art museum or playhouse. Good music is alive and well, go to your local music head store. American Literature is certainly still alive and well. Misplaced doom and gloom. For instance, pm StillMadatSlobber. He'll be happy to tell you about how Houston has a thriving art seen and museum district an world class symphony just like most major American cities, with a substantial part of the public that supports it. Pittsburgh has a thriving art community as well. Nothing but a rant against popular culture, but popular culture has been around since mass media and high art has sustained itself just fine in the face of it. Nothing to see here.

Lit, I use the term Art as it applies to popular culture. Andy pretty much threw the dirt on the art you speak of...just fucking with you there. No doubt that the museums and libraries are still viable travel destinations...But I'm not being a hypermasculine cretin here...I look at the state of music today and it's just shit. I just can't see the Arcade Fires and the Vampire Weekends and the arctic monkeys and fucking Kanye idiot as carrying the "rock" torch. Even you dig in the past to find something good. Lowest point since the time between Physical Graffiti and Back in Black...and it's lasted like three times as long. I'll find something good after much searching...but it's been Rival Sons, Winery Dogs, Killer Mike, Transatlantic and that's about it the past 5 years.

It might be a surprise but I read a decent amount of fiction. Every year I look at the Times best seller list to broaden my horizons...shock, horror I've found and enjoyed guys like Foster Wallace, Eggars, Coupland, Welsh...a bit more adventurous then you might suspect...but for the past few years it's been shit for new authors...50 different shades of kinky, hard fucks, romanticized vampires, and third world strife that's suppose to move me...but is tedious beyond math. Not to mention the feel good bios of every kunt ceo whoever had a company go public.

Film...well I'm into Scorsese, Tarantino, Rodriguez, all the obvious suspects...hell I'm a fan of Altman, Malek on occasion and Spike Lee is damn good when he isn't concerned with message...but virtually everything that has come out recently has sucked.

To my senses it's a fucking teenie bopper wasteland out there these days...

bradshaw2ben
Site Admin

Post by bradshaw2ben » Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:03 pm

The andersons (Paul and Wes) make some interesting films, but the guy who can really do it is Luc Besson. It's true, though, that the director as auteur is a dying form-- Scorsese, Soderbergh, Tarantino, et al are all 50+

SteelerZen

Post by SteelerZen » Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:06 pm

Kodiak wrote:
Thiefery wrote:If anybody pays it will be young up and coming acts who most of us won't know until they perform.

Yep. And maybe throw in something, errrr, "unapproved" to generate additional buzz since it's no longer an "honor" bestowed but a paid avertisement. I can see all this backfiring badly for the NFL.

Only flaw there is up-and-coming artists can't afford to give anyone a portion of their take at a concert, and the NFL won't go for brand names. Hence why it's going to be acts like Madonna who put up money. Anyone remember Madonna's last hit single? Gotta keep that train rolling. She has minions to feed.

You're more likely to get some group like Disney buying its kid stars on stage and over the hill rockers with lots of name recognition and brand appeal. Because you can't damn well sell advertising and sponsors against the halftime show if no one has heard of the band. In Roger's world, it's about the family. Which means you have to bring in the moms.

But it will backfire badly for the NFL in every sense of the word.

Pabst

Post by Pabst » Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:26 pm

bradshaw2ben wrote:The andersons (Paul and Wes) make some interesting films, but the guy who can really do it is Luc Besson. It's true, though, that the director as auteur is a dying form-- Scorsese, Soderbergh, Tarantino, et al are all 50+

Darren Aranovski, Edgar Wright, Christopher Nolan. There are some kickass under-50 directors out there making great movies (btw, I would also add the Coen Brothers to your list.). If you venture outside the English speaking world, you can find directors like Fernando Meirelles & Alexander Sokurov. Sure, there is alot of crap out there, but what era hasn't had its fair share of crap?

Legacy User

Post by Legacy User » Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:48 pm

bradshaw2ben wrote:The andersons (Paul and Wes) make some interesting films, but the guy who can really do it is Luc Besson. It's true, though, that the director as auteur is a dying form-- Scorsese, Soderbergh, Tarantino, et al are all 50+

Soderbergh is hit and miss for me...but he came out of "retirement" to do the Knick for scinemax and it's pretty good 2 episodes in.

I did overlook the Coens...but all losers since No Country...imo. But really the only other directors that gets my attention is Danny Boyle and PT Anderson.

Legacy User

Post by Legacy User » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:00 pm

Pabst wrote:Sure, there is alot of crap out there, but what era hasn't had its fair share of crap?

THIS. Every generation mythologizes the good ol' days that never existed. Music, literature and film is doing just fine.

Legacy User

Post by Legacy User » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:22 pm

Still Lit wrote:
Pabst wrote:Sure, there is alot of crap out there, but what era hasn't had its fair share of crap?

THIS. Every generation mythologizes the good ol' days that never existed. Music, literature and film is doing just fine.

:lol: Lit, you have a point...to some degree. But I don't think I have bitter old fuck syndrome yet either.
\
There really hasn't been a good crime flick since The Departed. 30 days of Night and 28 days later stand out as the only good horror/suspense. Recently I've liked Old Boy, Dredd, and Carnage was lights out as far as comedy drama goes...but I literally fall a sleep on most of this shit recently.

I went through the Pitchfork top 200 tracks of the decade...One fucking good song. Don't get me wrong...I'll recognize bubblegum pop as good if the hook is there...what I'm saying is even the music I don't like is bad.

And the writing...good god is the fiction poor.

bradshaw2ben
Site Admin

Post by bradshaw2ben » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:31 pm

Zivco, you remind me of a director I neglected... Really like all three of Ben Affleck's films, two of which are excellent crime films and the third not a bad suspense couple of hours, regardless of the politics and toying with the facts.

By the way, don't look now, but Chris Nolan and Aronofsky are both mid 40s. I stood behind Aronofsky at a coffee shop in Iceland... I'm a fan and couldn't place his face, even though I deduced that he was in the film business.

Legacy User

Post by Legacy User » Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:06 pm

Still Lit wrote:
Lifelongsteel wrote:

You're definitely right about Pittsburgh's art scene. My old college roommate is a phenomenal painter who does a lot of Pittsburgh city-scapes. And chances are you've seen his work around town at various establishments.

http://corybonnet.com/portfolio.html

If you're looking for art, you won't find it in the mainstream avenues these days. You're going to have to go to the source to enjoy it. The studios, the galleries, the clubs, the theaters, etc.

As for the NFL in this context, It just comes across as more greed to my eyes. While the artist may have something to gain by playing the show, the NFL is gaining too by keeping eyeballs on their telecast for them and their advertisers. I hate the NFL as much as I hate companies like Monsanto. I hope I get to see the league crumble in my lifetime.

And I thought The Conjuring was a great modern horror flick. Watch that by yourself with the lights off. Best paranormal film since the original Poltergeist IMO.

Locked Previous topicNext topic