More proof CAN is the best rock band in history

Discussions. Still no racial epithets or political campaigning. Don’t bring any of this back to the sports boards. What’s said in FFA, stays in FFA.
Professor Half Wit

Re: More proof CAN is the best rock band in history

Post by Professor Half Wit » Sat Jun 12, 2021 11:34 am

K_C_ wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:17 pm
Professor Half Wit wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:21 am
The family tree of Tortoise-related musical projects would be a thread unto itself. The early and mid-90s Chicago rock scene ranks among the most fertile and productive in rock history, but most folks have no clue about it. Louisville had a great scene, too, and I love Slint (recorded Spiderland in Chicago), but the Chicago scene was very special. Just think. While the country was freaking out about Nine Inch Nails, Beck, Nirvana, Soundgarden, Weezer, 311, etc, Tortoise put out their first LP. And it blew the doors off all that alt-rock BS.

KC, did you ever hang out at Danny's in Bucktown? A DJ/collector named Dante Carfagna used to throw and soul / funk party there each week.
Have you watched the Slint documentary "Breadcrumb Trail" yet?

If not, WATCH IT TONIIGHT. Fucking amazing. I guarantee you it'll be worth it.

I chat sometimes with Britt Walford and Brian McMahan on Facebook. Great dudes.
I'll check it out!

"We're all in strung out shape. But stay frosty, and alert."

K_C_

Post by K_C_ » Sun Jun 13, 2021 9:24 pm

Sat Jun 12, 2021 11:34 am
K_C_ wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:21 am
The family tree of Tortoise-related musical projects would be a thread unto itself. The early and mid-90s Chicago rock scene ranks among the most fertile and productive in rock history, but most folks have no clue about it. Louisville had a great scene, too, and I love Slint (recorded Spiderland in Chicago), but the Chicago scene was very special. Just think. While the country was freaking out about Nine Inch Nails, Beck, Nirvana, Soundgarden, Weezer, 311, etc, Tortoise put out their first LP. And it blew the doors off all that alt-rock BS.

KC, did you ever hang out at Danny's in Bucktown? A DJ/collector named Dante Carfagna used to throw and soul / funk party there each week.

I'll check it out!
I spent $700 on RSD shit.

Was really upset because I missed out on the Wire box set (Wire is my ALL TIME favorite band) and the Groundhogs LP.

Welp....I snuck out with the teenage daughter after my wife went to the airport and we went to We Got The Beats in Lauderhill.

I got the Wire, Groundhogs, MF Doom/Czarface, Freddie Gibbs & Madlib and the Al Green! Great second day for sure!
"In my opinion, he is a great motivator and good leader of men, but a shit tactician and absolutely game day imbecile".

Baltostiller

Professor Half Wit

Post by Professor Half Wit » Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:05 pm

K_C_ wrote:
Sun Jun 13, 2021 9:24 pm
K_C_ wrote:

I'll check it out!

Was really upset because I missed out on the Wire box set (Wire is my ALL TIME favorite band) and the Groundhogs LP.

Welp....I snuck out with the teenage daughter after my wife went to the airport and we went to We Got The Beats in Lauderhill.

I got the Wire, Groundhogs, MF Doom/Czarface, Freddie Gibbs & Madlib and the Al Green! Great second day for sure!
The Miami Vice Piñata cover is pretty sweet. All my current RSD lust is reserved for the triple LP of the Bill Evans live set that is set to drop for the July RSD roll out. I'm prepared to push over old ladies Costanza-style to get my hands on it!
"We're all in strung out shape. But stay frosty, and alert."

K_C_

Post by K_C_ » Mon Jun 14, 2021 2:18 pm

Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:05 pm
K_C_ wrote:

I'll check it out!

The Miami Vice Piñata cover is pretty sweet. All my current RSD lust is reserved for the triple LP of the Bill Evans live set that is set to drop for the July RSD roll out. I'm prepared to push over old ladies Costanza-style to get my hands on it!
Right with you. Praying things break my way on the Evans too!

I didn’t see the Harold Land but wanted it badly goddamnit!
"In my opinion, he is a great motivator and good leader of men, but a shit tactician and absolutely game day imbecile".

Baltostiller

Ice

Post by Ice » Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:37 am

My dad is a Bill Evans junkie, so I'm going to have to be on that at Rainbow in Newark. What was the Al Green release this time around, KC?
Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile...

K_C_

Post by K_C_ » Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:58 pm

Ice wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:37 am
My dad is a Bill Evans junkie, so I'm going to have to be on that at Rainbow in Newark. What was the Al Green release this time around, KC?
The Orchestral Greatest Hits.

https://recordstoreday.com/SpecialRelease/13547

Baltostiller

K_C_

Post by K_C_ » Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:02 pm

Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:05 pm
K_C_ wrote:

I'll check it out!

Today I finally scored the Wire box set, but also FINALLY FUCKING FOUND the Harold Land RSD LP (only 1,000 pressed!) and the Wipers "Youth of America" 2-LP set.

I literally got every fucking RSD item I hoped to get.

https://recordstoreday.com/SpecialRelease/13300

https://recordstoreday.com/SpecialRelease/13402

Now, on to the Bill Evans in July.

Baltostiller

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic