Share something you know well to help others

Discussions. Still no racial epithets or political campaigning. Don’t bring any of this back to the sports boards. What’s said in FFA, stays in FFA.
cyberlaz

Re: Share something you know well to help others

Post by cyberlaz » Tue Nov 22, 2022 11:09 pm

Pabst wrote:
Tue Nov 22, 2022 10:45 pm
cyberlaz wrote:
Tue Nov 22, 2022 10:38 pm
Never buy high octane gas...it's a scam.

If you have a normally aspirated engine meaning no supercharger or turbo, never buy anything other than 87 octane. If you have a turbo only buy 89. Anything above that is a waste. The higher octane does nothing except prevent detonation and does run any better, provide more power, or anything like that.

I probably just saved you hundreds to thousands of dollars in gasoline costs for the rest of your life. :D
Add fuel additives to this (like STP Gas treatment).

The only exceptions to the above would be if you're driving a high performance / luxury car or if you have something that's 50+ years old.
Even with high performance and/or luxury car engines it is not needed. Most if not all engines will adjust to the octane rating of the gas and change the timing to avoid detonation or ignition of the gasoline due to compression instead of from the spark plug. Manufacturers recommend premium to get the most horsepower and performance out of the engine. What is the performance hit due to the lower octane? A couple percent...

The thing that gets me is the price difference...Premium seems to be 50 cents to a dollar more than regular. It used be like 10 to 20 cents more. I guess maybe there is less premium being sold so it costs more?

SteelPro

Post by SteelPro » Tue Nov 22, 2022 11:30 pm

Pabst wrote:
Tue Nov 22, 2022 10:41 pm
Getting back to the iOS email thing - I can't imagine that working as described in the original post. Netflix and Hulu (at least) require a payment method when you sign up for a trial. I've obviously never tried it, but I can't imagine getting away with using the same credit card or Venmo account on a free trial after two or three tries.
You’d be surprised. Streamers are shockingly bad at billing and handling promotion codes when it involves 3rd party platforms. Netflix has it fairly buttoned up, but all the other major players have real issues. Not sure the validity of getting continuous free trial offers from Hulu, but I know for a fact there are ways to confuse their system so that they continue providing service long past a date it was to be cancelled.
People who quote themselves look like dogs who lick their balls

- Deebo referring to SteelerDayTrader

Post by 955876 » Wed Nov 23, 2022 12:30 am

cyberlaz wrote:

If you have a normally aspirated engine meaning no supercharger or turbo, never buy anything other than 87 octane. If you have a turbo only buy 89. Anything above that is a waste. The higher octane does nothing except prevent detonation and does run any better, provide more power, or anything like that.

I probably just saved you hundreds to thousands of dollars in gasoline costs for the rest of your life. :D
My owners manual states to use nothing less 91. Suggest 93 if available. It’s not in my area.

While I’m sure the 89 would be “fine” I’d rather save that money elsewhere and continue putting in the premium.

Bought a performance car for a reason and putting not recommended gas in it just isn’t worth it. I want every horsepower and ft. lb. of torque I can get.

You also run the risk if you do end up having an engine issue where the dealer wants to fuck with your warranty by claiming you aren’t putting in the manufacturer’s stated octane.

If the difference in price between 89 and 91 changes my life that much seems like changing the car would be a greater requirement.

Now you want to touch on a car topic that really gets me aggravated is the amount of damn potholes all over California roads.

I’ve had to replace 3 front tires within the past 12 months. At $550 a pop that gets pricey.

And the last time, I was going through an area where I know there are potholes. So slowed down quite a bit. Saw one on my right and veered to miss it. Ended up steering into a larger one on the other side.

Dusk, old eyes, and summer performance tires are a bad combo.
”I was putting time pressure on the Raiders”… MT

cyberlaz

Post by cyberlaz » Wed Nov 23, 2022 1:12 am

955876 wrote:
Wed Nov 23, 2022 12:30 am
My owners manual states to use nothing less 91. Suggest 93 if available. It’s not in my area.

While I’m sure the 89 would be “fine” I’d rather save that money elsewhere and continue putting in the premium.

Bought a performance car for a reason and putting not recommended gas in it just isn’t worth it. I want every horsepower and ft. lb. of torque I can get.

You also run the risk if you do end up having an engine issue where the dealer wants to fuck with your warranty by claiming you aren’t putting in the manufacturer’s stated octane.

If the difference in price between 89 and 91 changes my life that much seems like changing the car would be a greater requirement.

Now you want to touch on a car topic that really gets me aggravated is the amount of damn potholes all over California roads.

I’ve had to replace 3 front tires within the past 12 months. At $550 a pop that gets pricey.

And the last time, I was going through an area where I know there are potholes. So slowed down quite a bit. Saw one on my right and veered to miss it. Ended up steering into a larger one on the other side.

Why so many potholes? I thought the primary cause of potholes was freezing temperatures, snow, ice, salt, etc. Not a lot of that in northern California I am guessing. Maybe something to do with the soil?

Post by 955876 » Wed Nov 23, 2022 1:44 am

That’s a good fucking question. My guess is when they pave the roads they do a half ass job.

It doesn’t snow where I live. Ever. And the “cold” at worse is the 30s but that is only for a very short period of time late in the evenings in the winter months.

Just saw CA is 5th worst in the nation for potholes. Yet they have arguably the best and most docile weather.

Mismanagement is most likely the cause.

I went to golf in Northern Michigan at Bay Harbor one summer. Drove from Detroit to Petowsky. Was freaking amazed at how smooth the roads were. Like fucking glass compared to CA.

jebrick

Post by jebrick » Wed Nov 23, 2022 1:31 pm

My opinion from a soils class I had is that it makes a big deal in the quality of roads. YMMV

Also, how much is spent on roads. I can tell when I cross from Ohio into Indiana by the sound of the road. Ohio, really good. Indiana, bad.

===============================

For advice, I would add get the TSA Precheck if you fly more than 2 times a year. Well worth the $80 every 10 years.
“If you see the handwriting on the wall, you’re in the toilet.”

- Fred Sanford

fractalsteel

Post by fractalsteel » Wed Nov 23, 2022 4:32 pm

From 2009 to 2017 I drove more than 200k miles all over this great country. The purpose of these various road trips was to visit about 700-1000 significant architectural designs that are scattered all over country.
I hit up every state but Louisiana and Washington.
I also visited 35+ National Parks and other National Monuments along with countless State Parks.

I got to know the land well and the roads even better.

The worst roads were in Michigan. Hands down. Driving in Ann Arbor is like driving over train tracks in a contiguous manner. The roads there are full of potholes and filled in ones.
Around the lower cities the roads also suck. You have to go North to find where the decent roads are but then you are in redneck country. I have made the drive to Pictured Rocks National Shoreline three times.
It is worth the drive.

Ohio roads are great and they take fine care of them but police coverage is so strong that speeding is a bad idea.

The craziest road I drove on was up in Northern California. State Route 299. I took to it north of Eureka heading to Redding(to see a FLW church, one of his last built designs). The first quarter of the drive is along a mountain side and the road was full of sharp curves. I was fearful of going off road and falling to my death because the guide rails wouldn't have stopped a bicycle.
White knuckle experience for sure.

The most beautiful was on I-90 in South Dakota. About a 1/3 of the way through the state you come to the Missouri river. After crossing that in what is a spectacular valley the landscape changes drastically. Like you went to another planet.
I-80 through Wyoming is another beautiful drive.

The worst Interstate roads are I-81 from Virginia and through the South. Too narrow, too many trucks, too much traffic. It is like being boxed in for hundred of miles. And over the holidays it is not tolerable.
I-44 through Missouri is another shit road. There are actually stop signs and traffic lights on an Interstate. Barely any shoulder in case of emergency as well. Just an unsafe Interstate.
And I got pulled over(PA plates) three times so that the local asshole sheriff could search my car for meth near FT Leonard Wood. They didn't even hide their contempt for me. My long hair and scraggly beard only played into their notions that I was a drug runner.
I had nothing to hide so each time I let them search my car.

I-80, I have made the trip from C. PA to San Fran a few times. Chicago can be very dicey and backed up and there is a turnaround in Iowa that makes no sense but the drive across the Salt Flats and through Nevada are stunning.
Salt Lake City can smell really bad at times.

In Oregon there is State Route 20. My favorite drive in the country. It starts out in a valley that reminded me of Korea when it was nearly devoid of trees. A twisting river shadows the road here. Then you come out of the valley and into the Oregon Badlands and the landscape is no longer baren but flat. A few hours later you can start to see the Three Sisters, huge mountains in and around Bend.
Bend is a cool city.
From there you cross over another mountain range that really is a vast area of old volcanic activity. This is where the beauty of Oregon really starts to shine.

I spent those 8 years on the road so much, saw so much but there is still so much more to see and experience.

SteelerDayTrader

Post by SteelerDayTrader » Wed Nov 23, 2022 5:01 pm

LakecrestSteeler wrote:
Tue Nov 22, 2022 3:00 pm
955876 wrote:
Mon Nov 21, 2022 10:13 pm
LakecrestSteeler wrote:
Mon Nov 21, 2022 8:17 pm
Stick it to the man!

But how?

1.) Go into your iPhone, Settings, hit the first button with your name at the top of settings, then go to iCloud, and then go to “hide my email”. This is great. You can get repeating trials just by using this feature! Who the hell wants to be paying monthly for Apple+, Disney+, ESPN+, Hulu, Paramount+, HBOMax….on and on!

2.) go back to your glory days and a make a fake digital student ID instead of a driver’s license! That’s right, pick a smaller college, grab a fake face, put down some fake enrollment dates, model it after some IDs on the web, put a QR code or bar code on the back of the thing and save it. Now go get yourself some student discounts!

Apple Music, Spotify, Amazon, Washington Post, Wall Street Journal…they all use SheerID or something similar, aka artificial intelligence to check the IDs, and they offer significant discounts on the monthly subscriptions!

Stick it to the man!
Others here tried to offer quality advice. You on the other hand are advocating stealing. I guess that’s what you know well.

How about if you don’t want to pay the monthly subscription to use a specific service then don’t use that service. Simple as that.

Par for the course I guess given you align with the “everything should be free” cult.
Pivot to the ethics thread!

If you offer a free trial and I can repeat the trial I will. Use credit cards to check if it is stealing and financially damaging or stop offering free trials; they have done this in the past.

If you offer a cheaper option based on age and status in life, to one of your core user groups, then you obviously are over-charging and it is part of your A&M budget. If they are serious about student status, then use the .edu address. How is it stealing when I am paying with my real name, real bank account or pay service?

Is sharing a password and username with a friend stealing? What about with a family member in the same house? What about the family member in college in another town?

Is it stealing when you pay for internet and get charged for using data, but the same provider fills your bandwidth with unwanted advertisements and junk mail?

I suppose you think getting DIRECTV University Sunday Ticket is stealing too? And I suppose blackouts are not stealing and forcing people to buy certain cable packages in NFL cities? And I suppose if I want to watch my Steelers, and the only way is to get University Sunday Ticket, that is stealing too?

I also suppose using a VPN to make it look like you are in another city or in Europe to watch an NFL game is stealing too. What about watching a British show on BBC before it is released on Netflix…is that stealing too? What about faking you are in Australia so you can get the Australia Netflix lineup? Stealing too?

What about under reporting property value for tax purposes and over reporting property value to receive bank loans?

What about setting up your corporation so all your profit is tied up in intellectual properties which happen to be assigned to the unit that is in a country that has a lower tax rate than the US? What about buying stock in a company that does this activity to avoid supporting the US tax rolls?

And what about driving 275 yards from the tee box, looks good, no provisional necessary, high pressure to keep pace of play, you get up there and ball is no where to be found? Did you always go back and re-tee when there were 4 guys waiting on the tee box already? So you drop a ball, take a penalty stroke, then later turn that card in, your handicap goes down a bit, you get picked the following weekend for a tournament and win $1000, but had you not turned in that score with the cheating hole, you’d have been on the other team that didn’t even show.

I will stop the steal going forward for 95’s sake

The rest of you can try and stick it to the man! SEX DRUGS AND ROCK N ROLL BABY!
Conservative voters claiming ethics violations

Lolololz
Gorilla Warfare 🦍

Post by 955876 » Wed Nov 23, 2022 5:30 pm

Ohio roads are great and they take fine care of them but police coverage is so strong that speeding is a bad idea.
Mental note to never move to Ohio….

Post by 955876 » Wed Nov 23, 2022 5:32 pm

:roll: :roll: :roll:

Ya, libs never get caught doing anything unethical…. :roll: :roll: :roll:

And we are talking about stealing. Something the left openly embraces and actually encourages. So go figure

Professor Half Wit

Post by Professor Half Wit » Wed Nov 23, 2022 6:39 pm

955876 wrote:
Wed Nov 23, 2022 5:32 pm

And we are talking about stealing. Something the left openly embraces and actually encourages. So go figure
You have a very bad political stereotyping (prejudice) problem.

Saying “the left” openly embraces and encourages stealing is as stupid as saying all Trump supporters are racist.

In order for your claim to be true, even if you wanted to weaken it to “half the left” openly embraces X, you would need actually to verify that 50% of all individuals that identify as left think stealing is good.

Obviously neither you nor anyone else has done such verification.

Therefore, your claim is based on speculation rather than evidence, and is just prejudice.

Sad!

Unless what you are doing is stipulating that being left of center is partly defined by being in favor of stealing. That would also be dumb.

An objective person would not substitute labels for evidence. You do often substitute labels for evidence. Therefore….

Carry on.
The Super Bowl gives every man his opportunity to perform as a learned bore...the impressive barroom pedant, to imitate for a brief season the superior classes identified by their practice of weighty utterance and informed opinion. - Paul Fussell

Post by 955876 » Wed Nov 23, 2022 10:31 pm

Professor Half Wit wrote:
Wed Nov 23, 2022 6:39 pm
955876 wrote:

Saying “the left” openly embraces and encourages stealing is as stupid as saying all Trump supporters are racist.

In order for your claim to be true, even if you wanted to weaken it to “half the left” openly embraces X, you would need actually to verify that 50% of all individuals that identify as left think stealing is good.

Therefore, your claim is based on speculation rather than evidence, and is just prejudice.

Sad!

Unless what you are doing is stipulating that being left of center is partly defined by being in favor of stealing. That would also be dumb.

An objective person would not substitute labels for evidence. You do often substitute labels for evidence. Therefore….

Carry on.
I noticed how you didn’t jump in to correct STD on his broad generalization. Only me.

And when I say “the left” I’m referring to those currently in charge.

I know full well there are minions such as yourself that do not support stealing. But you dont matter. You will for the most part vote liberal and those in charge of that party DO support theft.

Defund the police.

No cash bail.

Emptying prisons.

Not prosecuting crimes those have been arrested for.

Decriminalizing theft which has led to much more of it.

Allowing “peaceful protestors” to burn down cities, steal, destroy etc etc.

So yes, I’m aware it isn’t “all”. Duh.

But the only one that matter are those in charge and they are making policy. Policy that leads to more theft and crime.

I’m not wrong here. You are simply trying to split hairs over tiny details.

You can tell me all day X number of those on the left “don’t support stealing” but that matters not if they keep voting for politicians that favor criminals over victims. Seek votes over public safety.

That’s what taking place.Doesn’t matter if “all” liberal support theft or not. They vote for those that do.

So how should I address the group?

Oh, and Happy Thanksgiving
Last edited by 955876 on Thu Nov 24, 2022 2:41 am, edited 3 times in total.

Stlcrtn1974

Post by Stlcrtn1974 » Wed Nov 23, 2022 11:31 pm

I steal time, which is more valuable then anything.

Post by 955876 » Thu Nov 24, 2022 2:32 am

Sure is. The one thing I never have enough of.

Professor Half Wit

Post by Professor Half Wit » Thu Nov 24, 2022 3:19 am

955876 wrote:
Wed Nov 23, 2022 10:31 pm
Professor Half Wit wrote:
Wed Nov 23, 2022 6:39 pm
955876 wrote:

Sad!

Carry on.
I noticed how you didn’t jump in to correct STD on his broad generalization. Only me.

And when I say “the left” I’m referring to those currently in charge.

I know full well there are minions such as yourself that do not support stealing. But you dont matter. You will for the most part vote liberal and those in charge of that party DO support theft.

Defund the police.

No cash bail.

Emptying prisons.

Not prosecuting crimes those have been arrested for.

Decriminalizing theft which has led to much more of it.

Allowing “peaceful protestors” to burn down cities, steal, destroy etc etc.

So yes, I’m aware it isn’t “all”. Duh.

But the only one that matter are those in charge and they are making policy. Policy that leads to more theft and crime.

I’m not wrong here. You are simply trying to split hairs over tiny details.

You can tell me all day X number of those on the left “don’t support stealing” but that matters not if they keep voting for politicians that favor criminals over victims. Seek votes over public safety.

That’s what taking place.Doesn’t matter if “all” liberal support theft or not. They vote for those that do.

So how should I address the group?

Oh, and Happy Thanksgiving
I skip a lot of STDs posts. :lol:

Stereotyping is broad tendency and I’m not immune.

Happy Thanksgiving to yinz as well. Hopefully you break out some of that top shelf hooch and enjoy.

Best to you and yours, dude.
The Super Bowl gives every man his opportunity to perform as a learned bore...the impressive barroom pedant, to imitate for a brief season the superior classes identified by their practice of weighty utterance and informed opinion. - Paul Fussell

Stlcrtn1974

Post by Stlcrtn1974 » Thu Nov 24, 2022 11:39 am

955876 wrote:
Thu Nov 24, 2022 2:32 am
That's why you have to steal it. I make a modest living, salary pay, but I honestly work maybe 10 hours a week. I know most people go to a job and sit there for 9 hours a day, I can't do it anymore. I have to be at the office twice a month for a few hours but that's it and that enough. I get up when I want, leave when I want, and usually home by noon after working and going to the gym. I'm not in sales either which is another thing I couldn't do. You tend to realize as you get older, I'm 48, that time is the only thing that matters.

SteelPro

Post by SteelPro » Thu Nov 24, 2022 1:04 pm

Stlcrtn1974 wrote:
Thu Nov 24, 2022 11:39 am
955876 wrote:
That's why you have to steal it. I make a modest living, salary pay, but I honestly work maybe 10 hours a week. I know most people go to a job and sit there for 9 hours a day, I can't do it anymore. I have to be at the office twice a month for a few hours but that's it and that enough. I get up when I want, leave when I want, and usually home by noon after working and going to the gym. I'm not in sales either which is another thing I couldn't do. You tend to realize as you get older, I'm 48, that time is the only thing that matters.
Good post. Although in my mind you aren’t stealing time. You just aren’t letting others steal it from you. Most people should be paid for production, not for time.
People who quote themselves look like dogs who lick their balls

- Deebo referring to SteelerDayTrader

Stlcrtn1974

Post by Stlcrtn1974 » Thu Nov 24, 2022 3:50 pm

SteelPro wrote:
Thu Nov 24, 2022 1:04 pm
Stlcrtn1974 wrote:
955876 wrote:
Good post. Although in my mind you aren’t stealing time. You just aren’t letting others steal it from you. Most people should be paid for production, not for time.
Yes!!! That's how I think, but that was the old school model, not the new. Where I work, I get my job done in 2 hours, no complaints, and everyone is happy. I also work with a bunch of cry babies who take all day and then some to do less then what I'm doing. The most head scratching thing is they cater to the weak, and would let me walk if I asked for a little bump in pay. Crazy business model for a billion dollar operation.

Post by 955876 » Thu Nov 24, 2022 4:34 pm

Stlcrtn1974 wrote:
955876 wrote:
Nobody likes a braggart.

I kid. Sounds like you have great work/life balance.

Post by 955876 » Thu Nov 24, 2022 4:41 pm

Hopefully you break out some of that top shelf hooch and enjoy.
Oh most definitely. Have been working on a bottle of this…
Attachments
D226A157-8211-4AE8-9EAC-0A0B17755952.jpeg
D226A157-8211-4AE8-9EAC-0A0B17755952.jpeg (37.96 KiB) Viewed 111 times
Last edited by 955876 on Thu Nov 24, 2022 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by 955876 » Thu Nov 24, 2022 4:48 pm

And the most recent addition…
Attachments
409AD639-6670-4197-89E3-D81D75FEA99A.png
409AD639-6670-4197-89E3-D81D75FEA99A.png (7.16 MiB) Viewed 110 times

Professor Half Wit

Post by Professor Half Wit » Thu Nov 24, 2022 9:04 pm

Insert Chris Tucker voice from Friday:
Daaaaaaaaaayuuuummmm

Post by 955876 » Sat Nov 26, 2022 3:33 am

If you want something that I think is pretty good and can be had for less than $200 pick-up a bottle of the Bunnahabhain 18.

I think it punches above its weight in terms of price vs value.

You can spend more for similar but it might not be better.

Very nice single malt with a sherry finish.

LakecrestSteeler

Post by LakecrestSteeler » Sat Nov 26, 2022 2:19 pm

955876 wrote:
Tue Nov 22, 2022 5:20 pm
Pabst wrote:
Tue Nov 22, 2022 5:16 pm
Can someone point me to this magical society where cheating / exploiting loopholes doesn't exist?

The argument isn't against Capitalism or American society. It's with humanity itself.
Slipping around a loophole to get some extra streaming by signing up for a new trial is different than making fake ID to scam a business.

It reveals one’s character. It reflects the entitlement society.

Student discounts exist for a reason. As do senior and military discount.

It is pretty pathetic though to make a fake ID to take advantage of something you are not entitled to.

I bet Lake has a fake military uniform or ID so he can get bumped to first class on a flight too.
I use a fake prosthetic, and my old woodland BDUs and act like Trump imitating the disabled to get the first class upgrade every time! It is amazing how it works.

You are missing the point. This is just like the banks switching to ATMs….one of the great cost reductions for running a business ever, but was anything ever passed onto the consumer? No. The rates kept going down, the fees kept going up, and mergers and acquisitions increased the consolidation and lobbying for the banking industry!

Do media corporations as an example, and corporations in general, actually think everyone is going to pay for a subscription to everything? Do they think they can use AI, like the banks used the ATM model, to reduce overhead significantly and find ways to increase profits for greed, to the detriment of society?

That is why I say stick it to the man! I am entitled! I am entitled to stick it to the man, and help collapse this subscription model proliferation!

BMW subscription for heated seats and now Mercedes has a subscription for getting a certain acceleration rate out of one of their cars? Tesla has similar sketchy subscriptions and/or language in their contracts that will try to harness additional subscriptions or prevent owner transference in the used car market.

Using the fake student ID is my micro-protest!

Trying to prevent going broke for a subscription to the NYT, Athletic, WAPO, Amazon Prime, Apple Music, Apple Cloud, Apple TV+, Hulu, Disney+, ESPN+, Paramount+, NFL+, DIRECTV University, Netflix, HBOMax, Sirius, Sirius Internet, Sirius Traffic and Data, automobile “link” service….it goes on and on! You can get up to $250 a month easily, and that is all not including the cost of an Internet subscription!

Yes I try to minimize this chunk of money and do what is necessary to minimize! That includes sharing passwords with family, paying for Apple family and sharing it not how it is intended to be shared.

Just like I previously downloaded or as 95 would say, stole songs from Napster, Kazaa, Limewire etc. back in the day for the mp3 players. And I have have used Kodi on my Firestick. Ironically that broke the business model and got us to iTunes, which then morphed into Spotify and music subscriptions, all the while Netflix was moving from disc to streaming.

Put me in the pillory, tar and feather me, put me in the gallows! Guilty guilty guilty!

LakecrestSteeler

Post by LakecrestSteeler » Sat Nov 26, 2022 2:23 pm

cyberlaz wrote:

If you have a normally aspirated engine meaning no supercharger or turbo, never buy anything other than 87 octane. If you have a turbo only buy 89. Anything above that is a waste. The higher octane does nothing except prevent detonation and doesn't run any better, provide more power, or anything like that.

And I use the Sheetz Unleaded 88 any chance I get…it works just the same.

Someone will chime in that they are afraid of Sheetz Unleaded 88 because of X Y and Z.

LakecrestSteeler

Post by LakecrestSteeler » Sat Nov 26, 2022 2:39 pm

Pabst wrote:
Tue Nov 22, 2022 10:41 pm
SteelPro wrote:
Tue Nov 22, 2022 9:57 pm
Not all of COR’s examples are illegal. Shrinkflation is real and companies aren’t forthright when they do it. You often see packaging that say now 20% larger… when do you ever see them say “Now 20% smaller”? Even worse than package shrinkage is product reformulations that are done with cheaper ingredients. So yeah, there are lots of businesses that don’t mind trying to pull a fast one on consumers. Regardless, discount fraud is real fraud. And if you do this you aren’t sticking it to who you think you are. Ultimately companies catch on and either stop offering discounts or make them harder to qualify. You’re shitting on the people the discounts were intended for.
Phishing scams are 100% illegal, and companies like Proctor and Gamble sure as hell aren't doing that. Regardless, saying it's OK to create a fake ID to scam Netflix because Frito-Lay makes misleading claims on it's tortilla chip packaging is mind-numbingly stupid.

I've also never once said that corporations aren't greedy assholes, but I'll happily deal with a greedy corporation over an incompetent government bureaucracy.

Getting back to the iOS email thing - I can't imagine that working as described in the original post. Netflix and Hulu (at least) require a payment method when you sign up for a trial. I've obviously never tried it, but I can't imagine getting away with using the same credit card or Venmo account on a free trial after two or three tries.
It depends on the app….you can sign up for the account offering a free 7 day trial or 30 day trial using the hide my email feature, use Apple Pay and subscribe right on the phone. Then go cancel the subscription. Rinse and repeat as often as necessary with a different email. Just pay attention that it says free trial before you use Apple Pay.

Obviously this becomes a big pain in the ass and I don’t do it with everything. If the service is good and priced right I usually am happy to pay, but when I feel they are getting greedy and start taking price I cancel and start doing the trials to see what wins out; the annoyance of free trials, the annoyance of the company taking price, or the enjoyment of the service.

AT&T finally caught on. They always were dicking around with their packages…free this, but 30 cents a text. 100 gigabytes a month data but $10 a gig if you go over. $10 international and on and on. I was going back and forth between ATT and T mobile for international, but they finally wised up and just went with a competitive unlimited plan, and I have been using ATT for years at the same price.

I am stealing of course because my old company’s discount of 23% is still on the account. I conveniently forget to mention to take it off.

LakecrestSteeler

Post by LakecrestSteeler » Sat Nov 26, 2022 3:30 pm

955876 wrote:
Wed Nov 23, 2022 12:30 am
cyberlaz wrote:

The potholes are not the problem, it is the scam of low profile tires. You did not say they are low profile, but I bet they are, because I had an X3, G90 all with low profile tires, and the X3 had run flat too. I went through about 4 to 5 tires over those two leases; expensive as hell in the Northeast. I too blamed the roads, and I am quite certain metro NYC roads were/are worse than California roads, and I will give you the whole state as comparison! The X3 had the big engine and it was fast as hell…I blamed that. The G90 had the 5.0 and longer hood, I blamed that.

Then I bought a Palisade with normal sized tires, and was fed up with paying for damaged tires, bought tire insurance, and of course haven’t had one issue…in DC metro area now, pandemic reduced mileage of course, and shorter commute are all in play as variables, but I know for a fact that it is low profile tires! They are from the devil!

Never buy a car with low profile tires should be a tenet in life!

The more air between you and the road the better! You get going fast enough with low profile tires, I am certain that there exist interstates with gaps between cement sections that will cause flats, especially on bridges!

LakecrestSteeler

Post by LakecrestSteeler » Sat Nov 26, 2022 3:51 pm

955876 wrote:
Wed Nov 23, 2022 5:30 pm
Mental note to never move to Ohio….
In my experience, police coverage is the worst in Pennsylvania!

Ohio they let you drive in the low 80’s on I80, and they don’t hide. They have designated spots where they sit for the most part on I80, right in the middle between the east and west bound. But you hit Pennsylvania on the interstates and turnpike, you’d better have Waze on! They are in the woods, behind hills, bottom of mountains etc.

I’d say I have had well over 50 citations in my lifetime and been pulled over more. Speeding tickets the majority! I am an expert! Military ID got me out of many a ticket! Ooooohhhhh the money I have wasted on speeding tickets! Take that Johnny Cash song and I’ve been ticketed everywhere man! Have even been pulled over, extorted or ticketed in Mexico, Canada, France and South Africa to round out the international scene too!

LakecrestSteeler

Post by LakecrestSteeler » Sat Nov 26, 2022 4:14 pm

Travel tip and one more way to stick it to the man or steal as some will say!

https://youtu.be/37oJqWp4rJM

Use corporate codes before you book hotel and get their rate. But be prepared to get called out for a corporate ID! However in all my life nobody has ever asked me for a corporate ID at Marriott, counter balancing the fear!

https://travelseason.com/hotels/hotel-c ... codes/amp/

Click the link above and you will see some pretty hefty discounts…the consultant corps have the best discounts on the whole! IBM has a good one too last I checked!

Has anyone on this thread stormed the field after a big win? Because that is breaking the law too!

95 do you get fired up about the students storming the field and start yelling get off my tax payer funded grass! You are stealing! More grass seed will be needed….the posts will get bent, pylons stolen!

Professor Half Wit

Post by Professor Half Wit » Sat Nov 26, 2022 4:36 pm

955876 wrote:
Sat Nov 26, 2022 3:33 am
If you want something that I think is pretty good and can be had for less than $200 pick-up a bottle of the Bunnahabhain 18.

I think it punches above its weight in terms of price vs value.

You can spend more for similar but it might not be better.

Very nice single malt with a sherry finish.
Ha! Wife would kill me.

I'm currently waiting on my local to restock Fortaleza Anejo for $85. And let me tell you, that $85 bottle punches welllllll above its wait. Better than most extra anejo's if you ask me. It sells out immediately when it shows up and there is a damn good reason why.

Also, unlike a lot of shitty tequila anejos and extra anejos, Fortaleza does NOT add sweeteners. Looking at you Don Julio.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic