Stock Market Thread

Discussions. Still no racial epithets or political campaigning. Don’t bring any of this back to the sports boards. What’s said in FFA, stays in FFA.

Re: Stock Market Thread

Post by 955876 » Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:09 am

So own some shares of TSLA & Ford.

I have both.

Wouldn’t own either vehicle but that’s just personal preference.

Digging the new Audi E-tron or whatever it’s called. I might be inclined to get one of those.

Jibbs: The Road to Nowhere Leads to Me…

Dan Smith--BYU

Post by Dan Smith--BYU » Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:30 pm

The case for electric has nothing to do with global warming which is pretentious nonsense.

The case is speed, quiet and safety.

Once you've gotten used to the speed and regenerative braking driving experience it's hard going back even for a one week rental.

I've seen a few of the Taycans out there very sweet. But 135K just to start.

This E Mustang is pretty affordable.
The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently.

Nietzsche

Post by 955876 » Mon Mar 08, 2021 6:01 pm

The case is speed, quiet and safety.
I’m on board with 2 of 3.

Still wanna hear my engine doing what it’s doing. Part of the experience for me personally.

Audi seems to be moving in a favorable direction with it.

Dan Smith--BYU

Post by Dan Smith--BYU » Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:40 am

The E Mustang actually has an option that mimics the engine noise of a Mustang based on your acceleration.

If you're into good sound and invest in good speakers, any engine noise is a problem.
The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently.

Nietzsche

Post by 955876 » Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:56 pm

Sometimes the engine noise is the music Dan... ;)

But for music ya, that super silent electric is likely quite nice.

LakecrestSteeler

Post by LakecrestSteeler » Tue Mar 09, 2021 6:53 pm

Tesla up almost 20%. If you bought the dip, you look like a genius.

Steelperch

Post by Steelperch » Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:21 pm

LakecrestSteeler wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 6:53 pm
Tesla up almost 20%. If you bought the dip, you look like a genius.
You look even smarter if you didn’t paper hand,sell, and pay a bunch of taxes. Long term for the winner.
Redskins Draft:
Marvin Harrison, Jr., WR, Ohio State
Patrick Paul OT Houston
Jordan Morgan OT Arizona
Ja'Tavion Sanders, TE, Texas
TJ Tampa, CB, Iowa State
Trevin Wallace LB Kentucky
Bucky Irving RB Oregon
Jordan Travis QB FSU

Dan Smith--BYU

Post by Dan Smith--BYU » Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:27 pm

If you're holding a stock that will go down 30 percent when bond yields go up a quarter point, I'm not so sure about the genius level of that.

The wisdom of Solomon and father time are undefeated. This too shall pass. Either way.

Nietzsche

SteelPro

Post by SteelPro » Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:46 pm

Here is the thing about paying a bunch of taxes... it means you made a bunch of money. Holding won’t prevent you from never having to pay taxes on the gains unless your plan for avoidance is dying. All that said, the long game is almost always a better bet.
Last edited by SteelPro on Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
People who quote themselves look like dogs who lick their balls

- Deebo referring to SteelerDayTrader

Post by 955876 » Wed Mar 10, 2021 1:34 am

Dan Smith--BYU wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:27 pm
If you're holding a stock that will go down 30 percent when bond yields go up a quarter point, I'm not so sure about the genius level of that.

The wisdom of Solomon and father time are undefeated. This too shall pass. Either way.
Those stocks that are doing well now while those others that are struggling a bit now due to rates ticking up were in some cases down 40% last year.

Cuts both ways.

Moral of the story, if you are going to be a long-term investor in stocks expect to see the value of those stocks go down 30% from time to time.

It happens.

If you like what you own that’s when you buy more.

Steelperch

Post by Steelperch » Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:56 pm

Dan Smith--BYU wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:27 pm

I bought the stock at $200 about 2 years ago. It went up to $4500 in 2 years. What is that, like 22x? Excuse me if I don’t freak out when it falls 30% to $3000 in a major market correction. A lot of Tesla’s price is based on what it will do in the future, so a big correction makes sense when rates go nuts. I’m holding until 2030 because I have a high level of conviction they will be a major disruptive company on multiple fronts. Auto, ride hailing, autonomy, battery and energy. In 2030 if I am anywhere close to being right, I’ll retire in my early 50’s thanks to this one stock. If I’m wrong, I’ll still have made a very nice profit.

I would suggest that anyone who heavily researches a company and has a high level of conviction in it to hold the damn stock for the long term through good times and bad. Don’t sell and pay taxes when it dips. Also, don’t ever go more than 10-20% margin. Margin will get you killed in times like the last few weeks. I got hoggish and was up to like 33% margin and had to cut a few stocks pretty quick when shit hit the fan. Good learning experience and a nice time to rebalance my portfolio.
Redskins Draft:
Patrick Paul OT Houston
Jordan Morgan OT Arizona
TJ Tampa, CB, Iowa State
Bucky Irving RB Oregon
Jordan Travis QB FSU

Post by 955876 » Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:05 pm

Agree on the margin. Most should stay away.

In other news, looks like a Tesla saved a man from an armed car jacking.

Google it.

Dan Smith--BYU

Post by Dan Smith--BYU » Sat Mar 13, 2021 12:37 am

OK, this NFT art boom trend shows that people are officially financially insane:

https://www.businessinsider.com/ethereu ... eth-2021-2

Yeah, yeah blockchain. Its a fucking flying cat/poptart shitting a rainbow.

Nietzsche

Post by 955876 » Sat Mar 13, 2021 6:11 pm

I don’t get it.

Do you set an IPad down when you have people over to display your digital art??

Hey look, I paid half a mil for a screen saver...

SteelPro

Post by SteelPro » Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:45 pm

955876 wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 6:11 pm
I don’t get it.

How about this one.. Mark Cuban is selling motivational quotes. For the cost of 1 ether (current value $1700) you get to own a digital certificate of this:

Cuban's listing consists of a digital image of him with the words, "Nobody ever changed the world by doing what everyone else was doing - Mark Cuban" pasted on top of it.

Oh.. and if you want to resell the NFT of those Cuban words of wisdom to someone else you have to pay a 15% royalty to Cuban for the secondary sale.

https://markets.businessinsider.com/cur ... 1030186572

Post by 955876 » Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:53 pm

Ya, I’ll pass on that too.

LakecrestSteeler

Post by LakecrestSteeler » Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:21 pm

SteelPro wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:45 pm
955876 wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 6:11 pm
I don’t get it.

How about this one.. Mark Cuban is selling motivational quotes. For the cost of 1 ether (current value $1700) you get to own a digital certificate of this:

Cuban's listing consists of a digital image of him with the words, "Nobody ever changed the world by doing what everyone else was doing - Mark Cuban" pasted on top of it.

Oh.. and if you want to resell the NFT of those Cuban words of wisdom to someone else you have to pay a 15% royalty to Cuban for the secondary sale.

https://markets.businessinsider.com/cur ... 1030186572
This sounds like a nightmare; patents for vocabulary order backed up by blockchain!

Steelperch

Post by Steelperch » Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:28 pm

Dan Smith--BYU wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 12:37 am
OK, this NFT art boom trend shows that people are officially financially insane:

https://www.businessinsider.com/ethereu ... eth-2021-2

Yeah, yeah blockchain. Its a fucking flying cat/poptart shitting a rainbow.
People paying millions for some shitty jpeg drawings is ridiculous and peak 2021.
Redskins Draft:
Patrick Paul OT Houston
Jordan Morgan OT Arizona
TJ Tampa, CB, Iowa State
Bucky Irving RB Oregon
Jordan Travis QB FSU

Dan Smith--BYU

Post by Dan Smith--BYU » Tue Mar 16, 2021 3:56 pm

someone paid 2.5 m for Jack Dorsey's first tweet. Coz it's on blockchain or whatever.

Nietzsche

SteelPro

Post by SteelPro » Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:40 pm

Someone is bidding $183 on an NFT of an audio file of recorded farts.

https://nypost.com/2021/03/18/nyc-man-s ... -nft-craze

LakecrestSteeler

Post by LakecrestSteeler » Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:57 pm

Archegos liquidation a one off or is the sky falling?

Sounds like a literal shady investor and proof that you never know who owns what and/or when your favorite position is going to tank!

LakecrestSteeler

Post by LakecrestSteeler » Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:12 pm

Has anybody been following the slow burn of Citadel and Palafox?

Michael Burry was hand slapped by the SEC for posting about rehypotheticated collateral and a few other topics on Twitter.

https://www.federalreserve.gov/econres/ ... 181221.htm

Then there is the Reddit post by atobitt about “Short Everything”.

https://www.reddit.com/r/GME/comments/m ... ame=iossmf

Don’t understand it completely but basically the crash in the 2008 happened because of fractional reserve accounting’s rehypotheticated collateral. Normally it is available cash on hand allows you to loan out money in a 9:1 ratio.

Reserve bank has $10,000 in cash, they can write loans into the ledger up to $900,000. If the proceeds of a $500k mortgage loan go to a construction firm, and they deposit into a bank, somewhere along the line the 9:1 ratio can occur again. It completely grows the money float and this is why the mortgage industry is such an economic engine.

However, then they started packaging up the mortgages and selling them to Wall Street as CDOs and then rehypothetication happens…strings and strings of collateral reused from one loan to build a house. Apparently Lehman Brothers tried to use all their CDOs to get additional cash from the Repo Market, by putting up the CDOs as collateral. The mother of all rehypothetication! They went out of business not long after someone called bullshit on this audacious act.

So now you have from Reddit:

TL;DR- Citadel and friends have shorted the treasury bond market to oblivion using the repo market. Citadel owns a company called Palafox Trading and uses them to EXCLUSIVELY short & trade treasury securities. Palafox manages one fund for Citadel - the Citadel Global Fixed Income Master Fund LTD. Total assets over $123 BILLION and 80% are owned by offshore investors in the Cayman Islands. Their reverse repo agreements are ENTIRELY rehypothecated and they CANNOT pay off their own repo agreements until someone pays them, first. The ENTIRE global financial economy is modeled after a fractional reserve system that is beginning to experience THE MOTHER OF ALL MARGIN CALLS.***

They are now using the fractional reserve accounting model for the stock market.

Steelperch

Post by Steelperch » Sat May 15, 2021 9:45 am

Steelperch wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:47 pm

For the crypto players, I see ADA making a major jump over the next month. $0.30 today, could 7x to around $2.10
Well, my stocks may be in the shitter, but Cardano proved me right. Today I am officially up 7x since January.
Redskins Draft:
Patrick Paul OT Houston
Jordan Morgan OT Arizona
TJ Tampa, CB, Iowa State
Bucky Irving RB Oregon
Jordan Travis QB FSU

SteelPro

Post by SteelPro » Sat May 15, 2021 7:04 pm

Cardano is having its moment in the sun but ultimately it’s destiny is tied to the ethereum 2.0 transition. If ETH 2.0 fails (not likely) cardano has a lane to becoming the biggest and most important blockchain for smart contracts. But more likely the ETH 2.0 transition continues and is fully implemented over the next 24 months before cardano can even make a dent in prying adoption away from ethereum. For all the promise that cardano has of being a better, cleaner, more secure blockchain than ethereum it lacks the features of ethereum that are necessary to drive adoption. And ETH 2.0 eliminates the differentiators that cardano has going for it.

beerbrother

Post by beerbrother » Sun May 16, 2021 12:00 am

Steelperch wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 9:45 am
Steelperch wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:47 pm

For the crypto players, I see ADA making a major jump over the next month. $0.30 today, could 7x to around $2.10
Well, my stocks may be in the shitter, but Cardano proved me right. Today I am officially up 7x since January.
Did something years ago that has proven to be costly now. Back in 2008 maybe 2009 I had bitcoin show up on my desktop and deleted it.

Thought is was some kind of scam/virus to infect my computer or steal personal information. I deleted them at least 3 or 4 times.

Had no clue they were legit and never would have guessed I was throwing away so much money. Hard drive is sitting out in the garage, may try and find a computer geek to see if there is any trace.

Don't know shit about the stock market but recently opened an account to make some investments. Think I made some wise choices but have a lot to learn.
"Luck is when Preparation meets Opportunity"

beerbrother

Post by beerbrother » Sun May 16, 2021 4:39 pm

I'm a complete novice with the stock market but want to invest some of the profits I've made from real-estate.

I think it would be prudent for me to seek professional advice on how to wisely invest.

Hope you don't mind, I sent a PM with a few questions.

I've enjoyed reading this thread and have learned quit a bit. Thanks to all for your input.

LakecrestSteeler

Post by LakecrestSteeler » Sun May 16, 2021 10:28 pm

Damn Elon Musk….his stocks in the shitter, and he is taking down Bitcoin!

ARKQ and Grayscale are killing me!

beerbrother

Post by beerbrother » Mon May 17, 2021 12:57 am

Tech stocks look like they are still going down.

Was looking at some biotech. Told my wife I'd purchase some AquaBounty this week since she has a passion for fish & seafood.

She is completely against me putting money in stocks and expects me to lose everything. But she assures me there is a huge market for fresh salmon and likes that I'm planning on calling it her stock.

Don't know if anything will come of it but 100 shares in exchange for a happy wife is a good deal.
AquaBounty’s goal has always been to bring fresh salmon to the market in a responsible and sustainable way. We’ve done that by leveraging more than 30 years of rigorous research in Atlantic salmon to create one of the most comprehensive food safety and traceability programs in the world.

AquaBounty focuses on a specific gene trait within the Atlantic salmon that helps protect it during the early, most vulnerable stages of growth. In turn, we are able to increase the amount of salmon we can harvest to help address the global seafood gap. We also can use 25% less feed in producing our salmon compared to other salmon farmers, reducing our impact on the environment.
https://aquabounty.com/our-salmon/why-aquabounty-salmon

They genetically engineered salmon 30-years ago and just sold their 1st commercial harvest. Think they can harvest the fish in like 18 months almost a year sooner than some of the other farms. Down to $4.88 from a high of 13.32 in January.

Dan Smith--BYU

Post by Dan Smith--BYU » Mon May 17, 2021 1:28 am

There are a lot undervalued stocks.

They are not the ones jumping up and down screaming every day like AOC or Joy Behar or Cardi B.

Stocks are kind of like people.

If you focus on substance and ignore hype you will have nice friends and avoid pain.

I have ZERO interest in TSLA or cryptos.

STM is a supplier for TSLA and AAPL and priced far less that a 1200/1 PE. (AAPL isn't as absurdly overpriced.)

So you can win picks and shovels style without the insane downside.

I am interested in the stocks undervalued because so much dumb money is going into hype money.

If you are interested in healthy food companies, check out AVO, big producer of Haas avocados.

Not hyped.

Nietzsche

Kodiak

Post by Kodiak » Mon May 17, 2021 6:17 am

LakecrestSteeler wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 10:28 pm
Damn Elon Musk….his stocks in the shitter, and he is taking down Bitcoin!
Awww, yes.....Capitalism's pre-eminent Welfare Queen. Honestly, I'm very much on the fence as to just how brilliant or great leader he is.

In the past I said he's actually delivered some amazing things. But here's the key question: without Uncle Sugar, could he have accomplished this with 1/2 the money? What about 1/4? Or 1/10th?

He's not an idiot. But he's nowhere near Jobs or Gates, or hundred of other tycoons throughout history. Entirely forgettable without massive government assistance. Good for him - basically replaced NASA and somehow took over its government funding.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Ben comes back, Tomlin doesn't = CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic