For the jazz heads

Discussions. Still no racial epithets or political campaigning. Don’t bring any of this back to the sports boards. What’s said in FFA, stays in FFA.
Professor Half Wit

For the jazz heads

Post by Professor Half Wit » Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:17 pm

A couple of summer Record Store Day drops you don't want to sleep on:

Charlie Parker 4xLP live sets from LA

https://recordstoreday.com/SpecialRelease/13713

Bill Evans 3xLP live set with the always tasty Gomez on bass and the underappreciated Morell on drums. Got the grip sweats bad for this one.

https://recordstoreday.com/SpecialRelease/13634

“Being a fan is fine, but there is a line you can cross that makes it really unhealthy,” said Ken Yeager, PhD, a mental health expert in the department of psychiatry at The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center.

COR-TEN

Post by COR-TEN » Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:27 pm

Niiiice.

The Bill Evans is of particular interest. Thanks for the heads up, even though my turntable is in storage. That needs to change.
Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter how good you are, the pigeon is going to shit on the board and strut around like it won anyway.

blu

Post by blu » Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:43 pm

As I just listen to bop & hard bop & listen to my 60's, 70's & 80's reprints - domestic or of Japanese origin, I can't seem to get into ones pressed more currently with digital in the mix no matter how appealing they may seem. New fully analog pressings are good for me & I've bought some Tone Poet & other new Blue Note analog reprints of lp's I've always wanted but never acquired. I get to hear the original pressings, too as my girlfriend has about 500 jazz lp's that she inherited from her father, Dave Mann, who once played for the Chicago Cardinals & the CFL's Toronto Argonauts as a punter & halfback.

Professor Half Wit

Post by Professor Half Wit » Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:55 pm

blu wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:43 pm
As I just listen to bop & hard bop & listen to my 60's, 70's & 80's reprints - domestic or of Japanese origin, I can't seem to get into ones pressed more currently with digital in the mix no matter how appealing they may seem. New fully analog pressings are good for me & I've bought some Tone Poet & other new Blue Note analog reprints of lp's I've always wanted but never acquired. I get to hear the original pressings, too as my girlfriend has about 500 jazz lp's that she inherited from her father, Dave Mann, who once played for the Chicago Cardinals & the CFL's Toronto Argonauts as a punter & halfback.
I'll listen to previously unissued Bill Evans music if its pressed onto fucking picnic paper plates. That man is my animal spirit guide.

Don't know what kind of mastering was done for this reissue I linked to, but the Bill Evans Trio releases on Resonance (digitally remastered from the OG tapes) of some of his previously unreleased recordings are sonically SUPERB.
“Being a fan is fine, but there is a line you can cross that makes it really unhealthy,” said Ken Yeager, PhD, a mental health expert in the department of psychiatry at The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center.

Dan Smith--BYU

Post by Dan Smith--BYU » Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:04 pm

Never buy remastered versions of anything. All they are doing is compressing the sound to volume compete with other discs in multiplayer CD units that don't even exist any more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Gmex_4hreQ

The best quality is going to come from digital masters at high sample rates.
The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently.

Nietzsche

Professor Half Wit

Post by Professor Half Wit » Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:05 pm

Dan Smith--BYU wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:04 pm
Never buy remastered versions of anything. All they are doing is compressing the sound to volume compete with other discs in multiplayer CD units that don't even exist any more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Gmex_4hreQ

The best quality is going to come from digital masters at high sample rates.
I get that and definitely agree. It's also dumb to pay money for an LP the source for which is the digital master used for CD releases. My point was about NEWLY issued, NEWLY unearthed music that has been digitally mastered from the source tape. If that is the only way to acquire the newly unearthed music on LP, and we're talking Bill Evans here, I don't give a shit how it got onto record, I'm buying it.

And I just wanted to give a rejoinder to Blu's well founded analogue snobbery regarding jazz lps. In general, the analogue productions and reproductions are nicer. But the digitally mastered Bill Evans releases on Resonance sound AMAZING. I own many of them and I also own some straight analogue reissues. The Resonance records were done right. And there is no alternative to buying the Resonance LPs if you want those records. They are not resissues. The are initial pressings.

Now good for Blu for access to all those great LPs. He does not have access to the new Bill Evans because this is first time its being released. And what REALLY makes me cry is the Universal warehouse fire. ALL those masters up in smoke. Not a chance any future reissue on vinyl is not from some digital source meant for CD.

I'm already prepared to pay $250 or $300 large if a mint copy of Alice Coltrane's Ptah, El Daoud ever pops up as a result.

K_C_

Post by K_C_ » Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:46 pm

I was motherfucking 2nd in line at my record store for the last RSD and wanted the Evans badly.

The store got one copy.

The dude ahead of me....the one dude ahead of me grabbed it.

The cocksucker.
“The young girls strut their hips in the sun, from the brick streets of Whiting to the gates of St. John.”

Harvey Woodlawn

K_C_

Post by K_C_ » Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:51 pm

COR-TEN wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:27 pm
Niiiice.

The Bill Evans is of particular interest. Thanks for the heads up, even though my turntable is in storage. That needs to change.
I just bought my 8th turntable dude.

Never only have 1 turntable. Never.

I'm trying to work up the balls to fix the suspension on my Linn Sondek LP-12 myself. It's very slightly too low and I've been watching YouTube videos to get an idea how to do it myself.

There is one video where a guy adjusts the suspension, but none showing how he removed the tonearm and the other shit you need to do first, obviously so I'm still doing research.

I'm also....and I'm not kidding, about to drop $235 dollars for new feet for one of my Pioneer PL 518's.

4 new feet. $235.
“The young girls strut their hips in the sun, from the brick streets of Whiting to the gates of St. John.”

Harvey Woodlawn

Professor Half Wit

Post by Professor Half Wit » Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:04 pm

K_C_ wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:46 pm
I was motherfucking 2nd in line at my record store for the last RSD and wanted the Evans badly.

The store got one copy.

The cocksucker.
You talkin' about the Live at Ronnie's Joint? If so....YINZ IN LUCK. My local still has a copy. Be in contact.

K_C_

Post by K_C_ » Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:06 pm

Professor Half Wit wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:04 pm
K_C_ wrote:

The store got one copy.

The cocksucker.
You talkin' about the Live at Ronnie's Joint? If so....YINZ IN LUCK. My local still has a copy. Be in contact.
I forgot and didn't pursue it, because obviously it was jacked up immediately on Discogs to like $300 or something ridiculous.

It was whatever Bill Evans was released on, it must have been the Black Friday RSD thing.

Harvey Woodlawn

Professor Half Wit

Post by Professor Half Wit » Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:08 pm

K_C_ wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:06 pm
Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:04 pm
K_C_ wrote:

The store got one copy.

The cocksucker.
I forgot and didn't pursue it, because obviously it was jacked up immediately on Discogs to like $300 or something ridiculous.

It was whatever Bill Evans was released on, it must have been the Black Friday RSD thing.
Yeah that's the one. Fixing dinner, but going to DM you a link for a copy at list price.

COR-TEN

Post by COR-TEN » Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:11 pm

K_C_ wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:51 pm
COR-TEN wrote:
Niiiice.

I'm trying to work up the balls to fix the suspension on my Linn Sondek LP-12 myself. It's very slightly too low and I've been watching YouTube videos to get an idea how to do it myself.

There is one video where a guy adjusts the suspension, but none showing how he removed the tonearm and the other shit you need to do first, obviously so I'm still doing research.

I'm also....and I'm not kidding, about to drop $235 dollars for new feet for one of my Pioneer PL 518's.

4 new feet. $235.
That's fucking hilarious. Made me laugh out loud. But I'm with ya bruh. 8-)
Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter how good you are, the pigeon is going to shit on the board and strut around like it won anyway.

Professor Half Wit

Post by Professor Half Wit » Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:12 pm

DM'ed, KC.

Dan Smith--BYU

Post by Dan Smith--BYU » Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:07 pm

"NEWLY unearthed music that has been digitally mastered from the source tape"

That's what I was talking about too, sorry for not being clear. Yes the original analog masters, but newly sampled and mastered (the old way) with higher rates.

HDtracks has some good free samples including Sonny Rollins' St. Thomas. You can hear a tremendous difference even on computer speakers. Max Roach's drums really pop through the mix.
The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently.

Nietzsche

Professor Half Wit

Post by Professor Half Wit » Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:19 am

COR-TEN wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:11 pm
K_C_ wrote:
COR-TEN wrote:
Niiiice.

4 new feet. $235.
That's fucking hilarious. Made me laugh out loud. But I'm with ya bruh. 8-)
Hi fi: it's a helluva drug.

Dan Smith--BYU

Post by Dan Smith--BYU » Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:54 pm

One thing about hi-fi, it won't make much of a difference on modern music because there are fewer subtleties to enjoy.

We had this, now we have WAP:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4Zm6mq5UcE

Nietzsche

Professor Half Wit

Post by Professor Half Wit » Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:31 pm

Dan Smith--BYU wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:54 pm
One thing about hi-fi, it won't make much of a difference on modern music because there are fewer subtleties to enjoy.

We had this, now we have WAP:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4Zm6mq5UcE
At some point you're definitely in the territory of diminishing returns. But you do have companies like Analogue Productions and Vinyl Me Please and other boutique labels that put out LPs that are mastered the right way and definitely justify higher end gear; in fact, if you do not own higher end gear, there is no reason to buy an analogue 45rpm reissue of a Coltrane LP from the master tapes because your shitty system won't make it sound any better than it would a flimsy 90 gram record at 33rpm.

Behold:

https://store.acousticsounds.com/d/6624 ... l_Box_Sets

I would also add that hifi gear is warranted for certain kinds of contemporary music. I listen to a lot of what passes for "ambient music", stuff made on a computer from end to end. And the difference in sound I get from my hi fi and a friends meh system is not subtle. To get the most out of record like Huerco S's For Those Who Have, you need serious speakers and a very good amp. For music like this, the little auditory details matter a lot, especially if you hi fi does not include quality head phones and you do most of your listening through speakers.

Just a gorgeous album:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Cc-0beyRXE

blu

Post by blu » Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:37 pm

K_C_ wrote:
COR-TEN wrote:
Niiiice.

4 new feet. $235. rosewood
My turntable isn't that special - a re-(Cardas)wired vintage direct drive Denon table but with a SAEC WE-308 tonearm & a Koetsu rosewood cartridge. My turntable feet are original & nothing special but the turntable is sitting on a Mitch Cotter turntable isolation base. I thought with Cotter base that the Denon didn't need a feet upgrade. I was once given the cartridge by my friend who heads a major audio distributor here & the preamp is set up for the moving coil cartridge. I'm playing the turntable through a VTL (tube) preamp & amp. KC, if you ever miss out on another RSD release, send me a message & perhaps, I could find it here locally & mail it to you.

BouldernBun

Post by BouldernBun » Sun Jul 11, 2021 2:49 am

I have been a jazz head twice in my lifetime. 1974-1976. Then Sheena Is A Punk Rocker.. Then Jazz Head Deuce Pandemic. The thing about it is I started collecting Freddie Hubbard vinyl last year. ALL Freddie Hubbard vinyl. Do not ask me why Freddie and not someone else cause I don not know. This led to got to have everything by Eric Dolphy on vinyl. These led to various Oliver Nelson, Bill Evans, Herbie Hancock, Wayne Shorter and on and on excursions. I have found that when I am a jazz head I am much more apt to follow the musical tangents of those involved rather than say.. Looking for a Joey Ramone solo record :lol: Anyways upcoming RSD looking for the Bill Evans Dike 3lp box along with the Willie Jones, Tad and Jon Anderson vinyls. Carry on!

Dan Smith--BYU

Post by Dan Smith--BYU » Sun Jul 11, 2021 3:27 am

JACO PASTORIUS:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOqR84PtctA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXBba77U1_Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fya8HwOwbWo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjqSBU0v6TU

A lot of debate about who the greatest guitarist is, not a lot of debate about who the greatest BASS guitarist is

Nietzsche

Dan Smith--BYU

Post by Dan Smith--BYU » Sun Jul 11, 2021 3:50 am

Nietzsche

BouldernBun

Post by BouldernBun » Sun Jul 11, 2021 5:30 am

I saw Jaco back in the day during Jazz Head phase I @ The Santa Monica Civic. Also Stanley Clarke (solo and with RTF and The New Barbarians) and.. and.. I kick myself for not seeing Freddie Hubbard but I think I did with Herbie Hancock. Just can't remember darn it. We actually booted t shirts for Stanley Schooldays tour and he was cool with it and wore one!
Dan Smith--BYU wrote:
Sun Jul 11, 2021 3:27 am
JACO PASTORIUS:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOqR84PtctA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXBba77U1_Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fya8HwOwbWo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjqSBU0v6TU

A lot of debate about who the greatest guitarist is, not a lot of debate about who the greatest BASS guitarist is

K_C_

Post by K_C_ » Mon Jul 12, 2021 2:12 pm

This Saturday, I have my eyes on the Bill Evans set, Charles Lloyd "Manhattan Stories", Rahsaan Roland Kirk live at Ronnie Scott's, R. Stevie Moore's "On Earth, The Sweet "Platinum Rare" (grabbing that for a friend of mine), Barney Wilen's "Le Note Bleue" and the War studio albums box.

I'll likely grab the remastered Rolling Stones "Hot Rocks" for the fuck of it too.

Harvey Woodlawn

blu

Post by blu » Tue Jul 13, 2021 8:01 pm

I'm not buying anything on this Record Store Day although I am still thinking of getting the June RSD release of the 6 (actually 5 1/2) lp set of the Grateful Dead Paris 1972 that is still well-priced in a local store. Meanwhile, on Sunday, I found some nice vintage jazz at excellent prices - an original Coltrane/Prestige 7105, Tadd Dameron The Magic Touch with Bill Evans, Johnny Griffin, Clark Terry & Philly Joe Jones, Lee Morgan Take Twelve & an original Bobby Timmons This Here Is.

Professor Half Wit

Post by Professor Half Wit » Wed Jul 14, 2021 1:31 pm

blu wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 8:01 pm
I'm not buying anything on this Record Store Day although I am still thinking of getting the June RSD release of the 6 (actually 5 1/2) lp set of the Grateful Dead Paris 1972 that is still well-priced in a local store. Meanwhile, on Sunday, I found some nice vintage jazz at excellent prices - an original Coltrane/Prestige 7105, Tadd Dameron The Magic Touch with Bill Evans, Johnny Griffin, Clark Terry & Philly Joe Jones, Lee Morgan Take Twelve & an original Bobby Timmons This Here Is.
"Excellent prices" and "excellently graded used jazz vinyl" do not congress often in my area. Given the Universal Studios warehouse fire and the encroaching death of so many boomers, I am now on permanent vinyl estate sale watch. Gonna be a bunch of OG and early reissue press jazz vinyl that will never see another analogue remaster from the original tapes in such sales, not to mention some nice hi fi gear if one is lucky. Have you seen how much Ptah El Daoud goes for on ebay and discogs, etc?! It's obscene. You can bet your ass the tapes went up in flames. A minty copy is my holy grail at the moment. Turiya & Ramakrishna still makes me break down every time I hear it.

K_C_

Post by K_C_ » Wed Jul 14, 2021 8:53 pm

Buying OG's used to be a lot more important to me, but the ridiculous prices and amazing reissues from labels like Speakers Corner, Gearbox, We Release Jazz, the Tone Poet arm of Blue Note, etc., which often sound better than the originals, has changed my mind.

If I see OG's in great shape and for a decent price? Sure I'll bite, but there are so many great options out there now, I don't sweat the OG thing anymore.

Harvey Woodlawn

Professor Half Wit

Post by Professor Half Wit » Wed Jul 14, 2021 9:30 pm

K_C_ wrote:
Wed Jul 14, 2021 8:53 pm
Buying OG's used to be a lot more important to me, but the ridiculous prices and amazing reissues from labels like Speakers Corner, Gearbox, We Release Jazz, the Tone Poet arm of Blue Note, etc., which often sound better than the originals, has changed my mind.

If I see OG's in great shape and for a decent price? Sure I'll bite, but there are so many great options out there now, I don't sweat the OG thing anymore.
Oh, don't get me wrong. I don't give a shit about OGs. Nor do I buy the idea that analogue end to end ALWAYS sounds better. I was not being clear. I'm talking about scooping estate vinyl in the hopes of landing OGs to sell but more so OGs and earlier reissues of the jazz for which the masters were destroyed in the Universal Studios fire. There is a reason Ptah El Daoud has not been reissued on vinyl and the reason is not that Impulse records execs are stupid. The master tapes went up in smoke. So now if you want a good copy, you're going to pay out the nose for it.

The Tone Poet series is THE TITS. The first one I bought was the remaster of Now He Sings, Now He Sobs. I almost started a jazz mosh pit in my living room half way through side A.

K_C_

Post by K_C_ » Wed Jul 14, 2021 9:46 pm

Wed Jul 14, 2021 9:30 pm
K_C_ wrote:
Wed Jul 14, 2021 8:53 pm

Oh, don't get me wrong. I don't give a shit about OGs. Nor do I buy the idea that analogue end to end ALWAYS sounds better. I was not being clear. I'm talking about scooping estate vinyl in the hopes of landing OGs to sell but more so OGs and earlier reissues of the jazz for which the masters were destroyed in the Universal Studios fire. There is a reason Ptah El Daoud has not been reissued on vinyl and the reason is not that Impulse records execs are stupid. The master tapes went up in smoke. So now if you want a good copy, you're going to pay out the nose for it.

The Tone Poet series is THE TITS. The first one I bought was the remaster of Now He Sings, Now He Sobs. I almost started a jazz mosh pit in my living room half way through side A.
Oh, in a case like Ptah El Daoud, when the ONLY real option is to find an original, I totally get it. I've spent hundreds for certain records.

But my situation is a bit different than others. When the mid 80's hit, I went ALL IN on CD's. I had probably a thousand LP's at the time, but bought very few for a few decades. Starting in 2008 or so, when some other friends of mine were getting back heavily into vinyl, I got the bug too. Gave away thousands of CD's to another friend of mine who owns a record store in Lake Worth, FL. I still have maybe 2,000 but at one point I believe I had around 8,000. When I got back into buying vinyl, I knew it was going to be difficult for me to rebuild a collection especially Jazz record wise, of a bunch of OG's, so I never tried. If I saw OG's and they were reasonably priced? Fuck yeah I grabbed 'em. But I knew a giant collection of originals simply wasn't in the cards for me.

That's why I'm so happy all these reissue labels are killing it with some amazing re-releases!!!

Harvey Woodlawn

Professor Half Wit

Post by Professor Half Wit » Sat Jul 17, 2021 6:24 pm

Grabbed the triple LP live set of Bill Evans. Hope yinz we’re able to secure all the sounds you desired!

blu

Post by blu » Sat Jul 17, 2021 11:32 pm

Sat Jul 17, 2021 6:24 pm
Grabbed the triple LP live set of Bill Evans. Hope yinz we’re able to secure all the sounds you desired!
Have you listened to any of it yet? My friendly neighbourhood record store still has copies & I was wondering how it sounds as I'm tempted to get it on Sunday. The same with the 4lp John Prine concerts set. Meanwhile, I picked up some nice great condition original lps at very reasonable prices on Friday - Dizzy. Rollins & Stitt on Verve, Cedar Walton/Hank Mobley Quintet Breakthrough on Cobblestone & John handy/Ali Akbar Khan Karuna Supreme on MPS/BASF. Meanwhile, I also don't give a sh!t about OG's, just good fully analog pressings although I can appreciate an excellent digital to vinyl mastering or analog-sourced, digitally mastered if not available otherwise or that well done that the difference is harder to distinguish. .

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic