Any tube amp builders here ??

Discussions. Still no racial epithets or political campaigning. Don’t bring any of this back to the sports boards. What’s said in FFA, stays in FFA.
SteelerDayTrader

Any tube amp builders here ??

Post by SteelerDayTrader » Mon Jul 05, 2021 4:26 am

I’m working on a model I designed that has 2 entirely separate circuits that can run separate or chained

1 is derived from a 50s Narrow Panel Tweed Era 5F2 Princeton

The other is derived from the 1963 Brown Era 6G16 Vibroverb

Gorilla Warfare
🦍🦍🦍🏈🏈🦍🦍🦍🦍🏈🏈🏈🦍🦍🦍🦍🦍

K_C_

Post by K_C_ » Tue Jul 06, 2021 3:33 pm

Nope, but I own an original Fisher 500-S in GORGEOUS condition.

If that helps.
“The young girls strut their hips in the sun, from the brick streets of Whiting to the gates of St. John.”

Harvey Woodlawn

COR-TEN

Post by COR-TEN » Tue Jul 06, 2021 4:48 pm

Nope. I'm good with replacing tubes though. Does that count? 8-)

When I was younger - like 12 - a guy bought my brother a no name tube amp. About 16 -18 inches square, 10" driver, probably 20 watts. circa 1950. Cheap. He never used it, but I used it later running in line with a 1976 fender black face twin with a mic on the smaller amp, fed into another higher wattage amp. The tubes in it had great distortion, and paired with the fender twin on clean, and a fender bassman, sounded awesome with a strat. Add a rotovibe and I was trying to imitate jimi and SRV. Not very well, mind you.

Your project sounds interesting.
Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter how good you are, the pigeon is going to shit on the board and strut around like it won anyway.

SteelerDayTrader

Post by SteelerDayTrader » Tue Jul 06, 2021 9:13 pm

K_C_ wrote:
Tue Jul 06, 2021 3:33 pm

If that helps.
Not familiar with that model but Fisher gear is well respected
Gorilla Warfare
🦍🦍🦍🏈🏈🦍🦍🦍🦍🏈🏈🏈🦍🦍🦍🦍🦍

SteelerDayTrader

Post by SteelerDayTrader » Tue Jul 06, 2021 9:15 pm

COR-TEN wrote:
Tue Jul 06, 2021 4:48 pm

When I was younger - like 12 - a guy bought my brother a no name tube amp. About 16 -18 inches square, 10" driver, probably 20 watts. circa 1950. Cheap. He never used it, but I used it later running in line with a 1976 fender black face twin with a mic on the smaller amp, fed into another higher wattage amp. The tubes in it had great distortion, and paired with the fender twin on clean, and a fender bassman, sounded awesome with a strat. Add a rotovibe and I was trying to imitate jimi and SRV. Not very well, mind you.

50s Era amps are almost universally sought after
Gorilla Warfare
🦍🦍🦍🏈🏈🦍🦍🦍🦍🏈🏈🏈🦍🦍🦍🦍🦍

K_C_

Post by K_C_ » Tue Jul 06, 2021 9:23 pm

SteelerDayTrader wrote:
Tue Jul 06, 2021 9:13 pm
K_C_ wrote:
Tue Jul 06, 2021 3:33 pm

If that helps.
Not familiar with that model but Fisher gear is well respected
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JK9rsrk ... el=johndoe
“The young girls strut their hips in the sun, from the brick streets of Whiting to the gates of St. John.”

Harvey Woodlawn

Professor Half Wit

Post by Professor Half Wit » Thu Jul 08, 2021 2:25 pm

Thread adjacent question. I lust after this badly, but am I dumb to lust so?

http://www.rogueaudio.com/Products_Cronus_Magnum.htm

The reason I am drawn to a hybrid amp is because I listen to a ton of electronic ambient with serious low end and I don't see tubes alone pushing that out properly. But I also listen to a lot of jazz and I want those warm mids. Am I wrong to think tubes simply cannot do electronic music justice? By electronic, I mean this sort of music:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Cc-0beyRXE

I know the obvious answer is: "Go to a shop a listen to the vinyl on different amps, dummy." Still, I'd be interested in thoughts.

9 days until that July record store day release of that triple LP Bill Evans release!

STD, you might be intrigued to know that that particular amp is made in PA by a PA company. Another reason I'm drawn to it.
“Being a fan is fine, but there is a line you can cross that makes it really unhealthy,” said Ken Yeager, PhD, a mental health expert in the department of psychiatry at The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center.

Havoc

Post by Havoc » Thu Jul 08, 2021 7:33 pm

COR-TEN wrote:
Tue Jul 06, 2021 4:48 pm

A guitar buddy of mine had a 60's black face fender twin. He played high end Strats. That combo for clean sounded like chimes. An incredibly beautiful sound. Oh, and he had a hand made G & L guitar... the L stood for Leo Fender. The neck and body were hand picked from the G & L shop, and he had it built as a thru neck guitar instead of the neck bolted on. We had another guitar buddy who was a spectacular player and went on to tour with a big name in a niche genre... he said that hand made G & L guitar was one of the best he had ever seen.

All of which reminds me of the awesome 70's sunburst Gibson Les Paul that I let go of years ago :shock: :shock: :shock:
Throw. The. Football. On. First. Down.

SteelerDayTrader

Post by SteelerDayTrader » Thu Jul 08, 2021 7:44 pm

Professor Half Wit wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 2:25 pm

The reason I am drawn to a hybrid amp is because I listen to a ton of electronic ambient with serious low end and I don't see tubes alone pushing that out properly. But I also listen to a lot of jazz and I want those warm mids. Am I wrong to think tubes simply cannot do electronic music justice? By electronic, I mean this sort of music:

I know the obvious answer is: "Go to a shop a listen to the vinyl on different amps, dummy." Still, I'd be interested in thoughts.

9 days until that July record store day release of that triple LP Bill Evans release!

STD, you might be intrigued to know that that particular amp is made in PA by a PA company. Another reason I'm drawn to it.
Tubes will handle ANY kind of audio well. Far better than solid state sound quality wise $$$ invested being equal

The kind of music you listen too doesn’t have better fidelity on tubes vs solid state in any way

Now speakers AND EQ can differ widely

All that EDM/electronics/etc bs needs speakers that can handle all that artificial bass
Gorilla Warfare
🦍🦍🦍🏈🏈🦍🦍🦍🦍🏈🏈🏈🦍🦍🦍🦍🦍

Professor Half Wit

Post by Professor Half Wit » Thu Jul 08, 2021 8:05 pm

SteelerDayTrader wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 7:44 pm

Tubes will handle ANY kind of audio well. Far better than solid state sound quality wise $$$ invested being equal

The kind of music you listen too doesn’t have better fidelity on tubes vs solid state in any way

All that EDM/electronics/etc bs needs speakers that can handle all that artificial bass
Thanks for all this. I've got the speakers for the job, without a doubt. Another constraint is money, however. Hybrid's tend to be cheaper than mid and top range tube amps, esp tube amps that are capable of powering serious gear. The amp I linked to is 3k. Not bad, I don't think. Also, I want an amp to power my turntable and my tv and movie audio. Another reason I'm interested in the hybrid.

Helpful to know that clarity of bass delivery is more about the speakers and subs than the tubes.
“Being a fan is fine, but there is a line you can cross that makes it really unhealthy,” said Ken Yeager, PhD, a mental health expert in the department of psychiatry at The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center.

SteelerDayTrader

Post by SteelerDayTrader » Thu Jul 08, 2021 8:57 pm

Thu Jul 08, 2021 8:05 pm
SteelerDayTrader wrote:

Thanks for all this. I've got the speakers for the job, without a doubt. Another constraint is money, however. Hybrid's tend to be cheaper than mid and top range tube amps, esp tube amps that are capable of powering serious gear. The amp I linked to is 3k. Not bad, I don't think. Also, I want an amp to power my turntable and my tv and movie audio. Another reason I'm interested in the hybrid.

Helpful to know that clarity of bass delivery is more about the speakers and subs than the tubes.
Get on some tube amp builder forums

Audio amps aren’t that hard to build

Start with a very basic design......one a lot of people could help you with....
Gorilla Warfare
🦍🦍🦍🏈🏈🦍🦍🦍🦍🏈🏈🏈🦍🦍🦍🦍🦍

Professor Half Wit

Post by Professor Half Wit » Fri Jul 09, 2021 2:20 pm

SteelerDayTrader wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 8:57 pm
Thu Jul 08, 2021 8:05 pm
SteelerDayTrader wrote:

Get on some tube amp builder forums

Audio amps aren’t that hard to build

Start with a very basic design......one a lot of people could help you with....
LOL, that's not happening. I simply do not have the free time for such a project and I want my music sounding pristine. The notion that I would be able construct a quality tube amp with the skill set I possess and the equipment I have is absurd. I would spend more money through trial and error figuring out how to make the thing properly than just buying new. I am better off just buying a hybrid or tube amp of my choice. I think it's a cool project and I hope you have fun with it!

SteelerDayTrader

Post by SteelerDayTrader » Fri Jul 09, 2021 3:51 pm

Just look for a deal on a legit tube era unit and forget the overpriced new junk

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/it ... e20506680a
Gorilla Warfare
🦍🦍🦍🏈🏈🦍🦍🦍🦍🏈🏈🏈🦍🦍🦍🦍🦍

SteelerDayTrader

Post by SteelerDayTrader » Fri Jul 09, 2021 3:57 pm

Hey @B2BDirectionalState

Is there anyway to get a background that doesn’t make links invisible ?? Like my 3 above posts ???

If not....no worries....just asking
Gorilla Warfare
🦍🦍🦍🏈🏈🦍🦍🦍🦍🏈🏈🏈🦍🦍🦍🦍🦍

Professor Half Wit

Post by Professor Half Wit » Fri Jul 09, 2021 4:49 pm

SteelerDayTrader wrote:
Fri Jul 09, 2021 3:57 pm
Hey @B2BDirectionalState

Is there anyway to get a background that doesn’t make links invisible ?? Like my 3 above posts ???

If not....no worries....just asking
They only seem invisible when you are logged-in.

I would def consider a used McIntosh. Nice ones can be had for under 4k.

SteelerDayTrader

Post by SteelerDayTrader » Fri Jul 09, 2021 6:11 pm

McIntosh are great

But you can get good gear for much less

Check the links I posted for an idea
Gorilla Warfare
🦍🦍🦍🏈🏈🦍🦍🦍🦍🏈🏈🏈🦍🦍🦍🦍🦍

blu

Post by blu » Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:07 pm

I would search for a VTL tube amp (& preamp) which can sometimes be found at a somewhat reasonable cost. I was running a VTL preamp through a big solid state amp for years but then I switched to a tube amp - a VTL ST-150 & the sound truly blows me away with warmth & depth. While a blown tube can be expensive - 8 Svetlana wing C 6550's are in the unit along with 4 smaller tubes, I find the sound quality mesmerizing.

About being an analog snob. Yes, it's true but I have heard some great sounding well-mastered lp's from a digital source - Karrin Allyson's Ballads, for example. But if a true analog lp is available, that is what I will always choose to put on the turntable.

Professor Half Wit

Post by Professor Half Wit » Tue Jul 13, 2021 3:42 pm

blu wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:07 pm
I would search for a VTL tube amp (& preamp) which can sometimes be found at a somewhat reasonable cost. I was running a VTL preamp through a big solid state amp for years but then I switched to a tube amp - a VTL ST-150 & the sound truly blows me away with warmth & depth. While a blown tube can be expensive - 8 Svetlana wing C 6550's are in the unit along with 4 smaller tubes, I find the sound quality mesmerizing.

About being an analog snob. Yes, it's true but I have heard some great sounding well-mastered lp's from a digital source - Karrin Allyson's Ballads, for example. But if a true analog lp is available, that is what I will always choose to put on the turntable.
Thanks for this (and you too STD).

I think probably the best thing I can do is call up SVS, the fine Ohioans from whom I purchased my speakers and sub, and ask them what kind of used tube amps I should be in the market for to best pair with their gear. Even when I eventually upgrade my speakers, I will just upgrade to the top of the line gear from SVS. I have been so damn impressed with their speakers I see no need to kill myself agonizing by looking further.

https://www.svsound.com/

A used Fisher tube amp popped up on my local Craigslist this week...

Professor Half Wit

Post by Professor Half Wit » Tue Jul 13, 2021 4:27 pm

Tue Jul 13, 2021 3:42 pm
blu wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:07 pm

Thanks for this (and you too STD).

I think probably the best thing I can do is call up SVS, the fine Ohioans from whom I purchased my speakers and sub, and ask them what kind of used tube amps I should be in the market for to best pair with their gear. Even when I eventually upgrade my speakers, I will just upgrade to the top of the line gear from SVS. I have been so damn impressed with their speakers I see no need to kill myself agonizing by looking further.

https://www.svsound.com/

A used Fisher tube amp popped up on my local Craigslist this week...
EDIT:

Here's the general guideline SVS hit me with:
Suitability of a given speaker for a tube amp depends a lot of the type of tube amp. We don't have a specific amp recommendation but a beefy, class A/B, push-pull amp of 30-50 watts can handle almost anything while a very low-powered single-ended amp demands a much more specialized speaker in terms of sensitivity and impedance. The Prime Bookshelf does fine with the former but I'd not recommend it with the latter. Some kind of variable pre-out is a plus for sub integration.
Also, I don't want two amps. What the hell would it be like to run movie and TV audio through a tube amp? This is one of the reasons I have been leaning toward a tube / solid state hybrid.

COR-TEN

Post by COR-TEN » Tue Jul 13, 2021 5:23 pm

Hey. Any of you guys have a good referral for a website that reviews audio equipment? I'm looking specifically at hi fi speaker reviews. Also, looking for recommendations for a receiver. If I'm upgrading to relatively expensive speakers, my old receiver definitely needs to be upgraded as well. Thanks.
Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter how good you are, the pigeon is going to shit on the board and strut around like it won anyway.

blu

Post by blu » Tue Jul 13, 2021 7:44 pm

COR-TEN wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 5:23 pm
Hey. Any of you guys have a good referral for a website that reviews audio equipment? I'm looking specifically at hi fi speaker reviews. Also, looking for recommendations for a receiver. If I'm upgrading to relatively expensive speakers, my old receiver definitely needs to be upgraded as well. Thanks.
My favourite site for audio equipment reviews is audioreview.com. Years ago, it sold me on getting the Soliloquy 5.3 speakers that I use in the bedroom & they are amazing speakers. The reviews are by people who own the equipment not magazine reviewers or other paid writers & clearly mention the pluses & minuses of each item.

Havoc

Post by Havoc » Wed Jul 14, 2021 6:57 pm

COR-TEN wrote:
I like this site...

avsforum.com

COR-TEN

Post by COR-TEN » Thu Jul 15, 2021 5:20 pm

Havoc wrote:
Wed Jul 14, 2021 6:57 pm
COR-TEN wrote:
I like this site...

avsforum.com
What happened to the rest of your post? The ones I've been looking into - which I think I've posted before, are :

Q acoustics Concept 300 (they have another with good reviews below that price point)
Bowers and Wilkins 704 S2 (floor) or 706 S2 (bookshelf)
KEF R3

I'd love the Q acoustics with the floor stand, but it's over my budget. I've looked into Dynaudio. Will look into it further. I've also looked into the other one you posted but availability and customization (can't get the bookshelf without the floor stand) are an issue. But the proof is in the pudding. I've heard in person the B&W 704 S2's and they are spectacular. I've also seen the SVS models highly regarded. I need to get on this as it's been on my plate for a year.

Professor Half Wit

Post by Professor Half Wit » Thu Jul 15, 2021 7:14 pm

COR-TEN wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 5:20 pm
Havoc wrote:
COR-TEN wrote:
I like this site...

avsforum.com
What happened to the rest of your post? The ones I've been looking into - which I think I've posted before, are :

Q acoustics Concept 300 (they have another with good reviews below that price point)
KEF R3

I'd love the Q acoustics with the floor stand, but it's over my budget. I've looked into Dynaudio. Will look into it further. I've also looked into the other one you posted but availability and customization (can't get the bookshelf without the floor stand) are an issue. But the proof is in the pudding. I've heard in person the B&W 704 S2's and they are spectacular. I've also seen the SVS models highly regarded. I need to get on this as it's been on my plate for a year.
Dude,SVS is the TITS.

https://www.svsound.com/collections/ultra-series

I have the cheaper prime bookshelves on stands. They are amazing. My buddy has the ultra. They are sonically AWE inspiring. I want them BADLY.

COR-TEN

Post by COR-TEN » Thu Jul 15, 2021 7:25 pm

Thu Jul 15, 2021 7:14 pm
COR-TEN wrote:
Havoc wrote:

I like this site...

avsforum.com

KEF R3

Dude,SVS is the TITS.

I have the cheaper prime bookshelves on stands. They are amazing. My buddy has the ultra. They are sonically AWE inspiring. I want them BADLY.
And they won't break the bank, either. How about receiver recommendations? K_C?

Also, thanks @blu for your comment.

Professor Half Wit

Post by Professor Half Wit » Thu Jul 15, 2021 7:30 pm

COR-TEN wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 7:25 pm
COR-TEN wrote:

KEF R3

Dude,SVS is the TITS.

Their refurbished / outlet scratch n' dent speakers come with the same warranty as the off-the-floor speakers as well: 5 year unconditional warranty! Bought my prime bookshelves on the cheap from their outlet years ago, same with my sub. Love, love, love this company.

Havoc

Post by Havoc » Thu Jul 15, 2021 10:44 pm

COR-TEN wrote:
Havoc wrote:
COR-TEN wrote:
I like this site...

avsforum.com

KEF R3

Scansonic is hard to find. I probably still know a couple places where they can be purchased. The one I heard live was the M6 small tower. I have not heard the bookshelf M5 but I was told it is impressive and I believe it. It's got a ribbon tweeter + paper-polypropylene compound bass-midrange driver... a great warm combo. The M6 small tower was really impressive for blues, acoustic guitar and female vocals and even had some kick butt to do metallica enter sandman well. Big soundstage for it's size.

Yeah, you might want to check out the Dynaudio Emit 20 bookshelves. Here is a Youtube demo.

I heard a pair of $4000 Dynaudio Towers and they were badass. They were a great all around warm speaker. Drove to Austin a couple years ago to hear them in a home theater store. They gave me the controls and I had the room to myself for as long as I wanted with a variety of music... it was great.

I was checking out the SVS Ultra on youtube recently, and I am intrigued. Usually, seems I am more drawn to a soft tweeter than a metal tweeter but those might be impressive speakers.

The other speaker I mentioned, Raidho MB 2.5. My impression listening to the MB 2.5 tower on youtube is, it's probably great for jazz etc with spectacular clean detail and huge soundstage... don't know how they do with metal though... haven't found any metal demos for them. The MB-1 is the bookshelf in the series. I have some interest in Raidho because the guy in Denmark who originally designed Raidho also designed Scansonic. Scanonic are Raidho's less expensive little brother.

Dynaudio, Scansonic, Raidho are all Denmark speakers. Dynaudio uses a soft dome tweeter. Scansonic and Raidho use ribbon tweeters.

If you want a couple Scansonic links, I can find them. Let me know.

K_C_

Post by K_C_ » Fri Jul 16, 2021 2:07 pm

COR-TEN wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 7:25 pm
COR-TEN wrote:

KEF R3

Dude,SVS is the TITS.

I have several different receivers. An old Sansui, the Fisher ancient tube amp. All kinds of shit, as I have several mini-systems throughout my home.

I guess for my "main" system, I have a NAD power amp and NAD pre-amp with Klipsch speakers.

I am not the Hi-Fi guy many here are. I am very happy with how my system sounds and I put most of my cash into records.

Harvey Woodlawn

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic