Charlie Watts, dead at 80.

Discussions. Still no racial epithets or political campaigning. Don’t bring any of this back to the sports boards. What’s said in FFA, stays in FFA.
Quixotic

Re: Charlie Watts, dead at 80.

Post by Quixotic » Tue Sep 07, 2021 3:44 pm

K_C_ wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 8:21 pm
Dan Smith--BYU wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 6:33 pm
Third, a political leader cannot stop a virus unless his name is Xi Jinping.
Xi Jinping?

You mean the guy John Bolton said Trump begged to help him get re-elected?

That Xi Jinping?

:lol:
Xi Jinping. Sounds like a ride cymbal. Speaking of Charlie Watts.

COR-TEN

Post by COR-TEN » Tue Sep 07, 2021 5:52 pm

Quixotic wrote:
Tue Sep 07, 2021 3:44 pm
K_C_ wrote:
Dan Smith--BYU wrote:
Xi Jinping?

That Xi Jinping?

Props, @Quixotic.

Ping on the bell of the cymbal.
Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter how good you are, the pigeon is going to shit on the board and strut around like it won anyway.

franco>madden

Post by franco>madden » Tue Sep 07, 2021 6:25 pm

Quixotic wrote:
K_C_ wrote:
Dan Smith--BYU wrote:
Xi Jinping?

That Xi Jinping?

God bless you for trying, Quix.

I saw a video explaining that one of the reasons Watts' sound was unique was because he tended to skip the hi-hat or ride hit on the snare beat, which induced a catchy sort-of stutter effect. They showed a live clip showing how he often did that.

In addition it was determined by someone I read that unlike most bands where the drummer sets the pace, the Stones usually had Richards out in front determining the tempo with Charlie carefully shadowing Keef and therefore playing a millisecond behind the guitar, thus creating a different feel.

Mick & Keith are the stars and the Stones can (like the Who and others) keep cashing in and playing live shows with someone else filling in on the skins, but IMO they never would've been the impactful band they were at their peak without Watts back there.

Quixotic

Post by Quixotic » Tue Sep 07, 2021 8:16 pm

COR-TEN wrote:
Tue Sep 07, 2021 5:52 pm
Quixotic wrote:
K_C_ wrote:

Xi Jinping?

That Xi Jinping?

Props, @Quixotic.

Ping on the bell of the cymbal.
HA!

Quixotic

Post by Quixotic » Tue Sep 07, 2021 8:18 pm

franco>madden wrote:
Tue Sep 07, 2021 6:25 pm
Quixotic wrote:
K_C_ wrote:

Xi Jinping?

That Xi Jinping?

I saw a video explaining that one of the reasons Watts' sound was unique was because he tended to skip the hi-hat or ride hit on the snare beat, which induced a catchy sort-of stutter effect. They showed a live clip showing how he often did that.

In addition it was determined by someone I read that unlike most bands where the drummer sets the pace, the Stones usually had Richards out in front determining the tempo with Charlie carefully shadowing Keef and therefore playing a millisecond behind the guitar, thus creating a different feel.

Mick & Keith are the stars and the Stones can (like the Who and others) keep cashing in and playing live shows with someone else filling in on the skins, but IMO they never would've been the impactful band they were at their peak without Watts back there.
HA! Thanks. Yeah, I think the Stones from top to bottom have been underestimated as musicians, because they make such great rock stars. Keef is a very inventive guitar player. They understood what it meant to play as an ensemble, which is pretty remarkable considering how young they were when they started. Charlie probably gets a lot of the credit, because of his jazz experience.

That skipping of the hat on snare beats is a really cool signature. And, of course, Charlie claimed he wasn’t even aware that he was doing it.

Professor Half Wit

Post by Professor Half Wit » Tue Sep 07, 2021 8:21 pm

Not a huge Stones fan, though I really do like Some Girls the whole way through. What I AM crazy about is jazz and there is a really lovely tribute to Watt penned by a touring member of the Stones, Tim Ries, who is a jazz musician. The picture he paints of Watt is of an extremely kind man who loved life and jazz.

https://www.npr.org/2021/09/02/10333825 ... ing-stones
“Being a fan is fine, but there is a line you can cross that makes it really unhealthy,” said Ken Yeager, PhD, a mental health expert in the department of psychiatry at The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center.

COR-TEN

Post by COR-TEN » Tue Sep 07, 2021 8:29 pm

Quixotic wrote:
Tue Sep 07, 2021 8:18 pm
franco>madden wrote:
Tue Sep 07, 2021 6:25 pm
Quixotic wrote:

HA! Thanks. Yeah, I think the Stones from top to bottom have been underestimated as musicians, because they make such great rock stars. Keef is a very inventive guitar player. They understood what it meant to play as an ensemble, which is pretty remarkable considering how young they were when they started. Charlie probably gets a lot of the credit, because of his jazz experience.

That skipping of the hat on snare beats is a really cool signature. And, of course, Charlie claimed he wasn’t even aware that he was doing it.
Keef explored different tunings to get a different sound. And it's not a D tuning or open G.

He made up his own tuning. Totally underrated guitar player. No need for shredding. Like Miles. Or Count Basie. Playing with two fingers the way my mother would type on a typewriter circa 1967.
Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter how good you are, the pigeon is going to shit on the board and strut around like it won anyway.

Quixotic

Post by Quixotic » Wed Sep 08, 2021 3:37 pm

Professor Half Wit wrote:
Tue Sep 07, 2021 8:21 pm
Not a huge Stones fan, though I really do like Some Girls the whole way through. What I AM crazy about is jazz and there is a really lovely tribute to Watt penned by a touring member of the Stones, Tim Ries, who is a jazz musician. The picture he paints of Watt is of an extremely kind man who loved life and jazz.

https://www.npr.org/2021/09/02/10333825 ... ing-stones
That’s lovely, Perfessor. Thanks for sharing.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic